PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick on Meriweather...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great thread!!!! Lots of good perspectives and opinions on the Pats '08 secondary. Here's my 2 cents.
Like some others, I too feel that Wilson will be gone next year. Our safety postion is one of strength on the team and with Geno's inability to stay healthy (a trait that BB values highly) combined with the development of Sanders and the institutional optimism for Marriweather, Geno is likely done.
Maybe we sign him cheap for depth (he does know the defensive sytstem) but it would surprise me if he's back.
Assante will not see the big dough here. $10 Million or so is what some dumb franchise will throw at him with a pile of front end money. No way he gets that here. BB ans SP value the money they do have to spend and they are not likely to be willing to commit those kind of dollars to the cornerback position. They did so in the past with Ty Law but this team and timeframe are different and there are other places I think where management feels it will get better value for that kind of money. At 9-10 million a year, BB and SP just don't see the value. I like Assante and he's proven to me this year that he is the front line corner that I was not sure he was. I wanted him to prove that last year was not a fluke and he did. At least 5 teams will be throwing stupid money at him and he will be gone. He wasn't willing to play for 6 mil last year and I think that that is around the dollar value that BB and SP have allocated to the #1 corner position with the Pats.
Chad Scott. He's a bit of a wild card here. BB absolutely loves him and it is yet to be determined if he can come back fully healthy for 2008. IF he does, he is right in the mix for a starting job in '08.
The 2008 draft poses so many options for us. I'm still really pissed about losing our #1 and think that it was total ********* that the league took it away. More thasn anything, I think that this was an attempt at leveling the playing field and reducing out competative advantage. Losing that #1 hurts, the bastards!!!
We'll end up around #10 with the SF pick which is about as good as any of us could have hoped for. A brilliant trade that was. Anyone who doubts the BB/SP draft ability (and there were a few on this board recently complaining)
this trade alone should shut you up. ( Moss for a 4th??? Welker for a 2nd-who cares about the 7th?)
Having this high pick will land us an excellent player, should we chose to use it. And I sincerely hope we do. There will be a couple of very good defensive players available to us and it is my hope that the 2008 draft is used to reload on defence. We have issues with age at the ILB position as well as at cornerback, when Assante walks, as I think he will.
The '06 draft was used to reload on offence and the Pats did a great job doing so. LOMO can only get better and along with the signing of Sammy Morris, our backfield is set for the next 3 years. Brady is entering his prime, David Thomas should be able to contribute in '08 as should Chad Jackson. Our receiving core is pretty set if you assume that Randy Moss resigns. Why would he not?
I would love to see all our first day picks go to the defence. Its time to parlay the trades in '07 into tangible players rather than spinning them into future drafts. The SF pick, our second rounder and Oaklands 3rd along with our 3rd should yield a couple of top flight players at positions of need in 2008. ILB and corner. IF we do this and hit a couple of home runs, we are in great shape going forward. I trust BB and SP to be able to secure the players we need.
I think that in hindsight, BB/SP would likely take Harris if they had a do over. That one is a missed op that I wish we had back. He'd fit in beautifully and one of our biggest concerns (lack of youth at the ILB slot) would not be an issue. For whatever reason, they must have seen something they did not like in Harris. I'd love to know what it was!
Value and where our money goes in 2008? What I hope to see.
1) Redo Big Vince. This is number 1, period! They redid Ty with a year left on his deal and they will do so with Vince. They have to. Keeping the front 3 happy and together will lighten the pressure on the DB's in 08 and regardless of what happens (who gets signed and drafted) the secondary will be in a transition phase next year) Unless Samuels resigns with us. NT in our defensive scheme is one postion where BB/SP place a high value on the dollar allocation they are willing to commit.
1a) Sign Randy Moss long term. Having Moss on the field makes all the other receivers better. By signing Moss to a 4 year deal, it solidifies the WR position for the better part of Tom Bradys peak years. Moss is not going to stick the Pats up for an 8 or 9 million a year deal. He loves it here and at this stage of his career, he's playing for his place in history and a couple of rings. Who would you rather have throwing you the ball? Will an extra 2-3 mil a year be worth going to Atlanta or Denver for Randy Moss? He stays here and signs for around $5 million or so with a decent signing bonus. You think Tom Brady will not help make this happen?
2) Redo Rodney through 2009. A bump in pay for the heart and sould of this D. He makes everyone better and provides leadership that will be much needed if a few of our mainstays retire at the end of this year, which is a distinct possibility. Rodney is playing great football and looks as though he still has another 2 years of highly productive football in him.
3) Bring in a vet like Carlos Dansby or Victor Hobson. Not sure what Dansbys going rate will be and it might be too high. But Hobson would be a good fit here.
The cap is going up next year and so long as we keep spending wisely, we can do alot of things in terms of the dollars we do spend. What we can't do is fall into the trap of making bad dollar valuation decisions with our veteran players. This is what differentiates BB/SP from so many others in the business. By avoiding the pitfall of spending foolishly ( Deion Branch, Adam V, Daniel Graham to name a few) our management has created a healthy middle class of players on this team, which, to me, is one of the cornerstones of the franchises' success, along with talent evaluation, and outstanding head coaching and ownership.
It's good to be king!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye