PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Raiders showing interest in Andre Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reportedly the Rams have called and asked for a visit. Could be genuine interest, kicking tires prior to cutdowns, updating rolodexes, his agent trying to leverage some sense of competition for his services.

There is a lot of speculation about Andre Carter. I think for the Pats is a matter of dollars per potential production. There is also the issue of how he is going to recover (at his age) from an extensive injury. But there is ANOTHER factor that should be considered.

A lot has been made of his 10 sacks in 14 games last season. When he was clearly the best all round defensive player the Pats had, and a legitimate all pro. HOWEVER it should be noted that Carter has NEVER had 2 consecutive seasons of double digit sacks. So while he had 10 sacks last season, he only had 2.5 in 2010. He had 11 in 1009, but only 4 in 2009.

So if you consider his age. If you consider his recovery from a significant injury. AND if you consider the fact he's never had 2 great sack seasons in a row;he comes with a certain degree of risk. At the right price it would be worth the risk, but there is a certain number the Pats have in mind, and I doubt they will go over it.

You also have to think that those considerations are there for other teams as well.

The good news is that he's now healthy enough to start having work outs, so whatever is going to happen with him, is likely to happen soon.

Could you show me the guarantee that any player will be 100% for the entire season?
Of course but Carter may come back like Rosey Colvin came back - at maybe 80%. Why bother when Jones is working out so well and Nikovich appears to be a play maker with health?

Some of you are only thinking about his play on the field. However, it goes deeper than that.
I think we realize the other angle but cripes you've got Wilfork and Mayo there. You've got Spikes! Har ...

I honestly don't care if we don't get carter back. He was good but he wasn't peppers good etc. He got like 4.5 sacks in one game against the jets. .
They all count, but I feel the same way as you about it. He was good but not Peppers good. I would want him back if he wasn't shopping for a three year (or whatever) deal. I would be concerned about his durability though. That was a nasty injury.

Of course but Carter may come back like Rosey Colvin came back - at maybe 80%. Why bother when Jones is working out so well and Nikovich appears to be a play maker with health?

Bc he is 10x better than Trevor Scott.

Of course but Carter may come back like Rosey Colvin came back - at maybe 80%.

That's what physicals and tryouts are for, right?

Why bother when Jones is working out so well and Nikovich appears to be a play maker with health?

1.) Because Jones is a rookie
2.) Because Jones has done nothing in the NFL (goes with being a rookie)
3.) Because Carter has had an individual season (2002) with more sacks than Ninkovich has in his career
4.) Because Carter has recorded double digit sack totals in 3 of his last 5 seasons
5.) Because depth is a good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes