PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard:Late execution is killing them

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the actual problem is our predictability. Not only in the fourth quarter, but in general. Even a clueless fan like me knows when we are running the draw (just an example). The problem gets even bigger in the 4th with a lead since everybody knows we want to work the clock and run; sometimes it seems our running game works perfectly fine when the defense is obviously guessing - the combination of the short passes, runs with different RBs and the play action pass is what makes our offense so strong imo.
To me it seems that we go away from keeping the defenses guessing with a lead late in the 4th and only go with very predictable plays with the defenses selling out for them.

He's not asking them to pick one thing. He's suggesting they edit the playbook and game plans down to a manageable repetoire they can get comfortable executing. It's the myriad of personnel packages and looks designed to confuse defenses that is flumoxing it's own self. That and some sense that they have to find a way to bullit proof an offense that came within another Eli closing drive of a ring, something that had more to do with that offense lack options due to uncharacteristic failure to execute while hampered by injury to a key cog in it's offense. Might a better option than Ocho or Branch to help pick up the slack have helped? Maybe, but so would an ability to run when you need to or a healthy all pro TE. They have this offseason to some extent determined that an increased outside presence alone, even if they force it, would have saved the day. Or seemingly more talent at the RB position. Or less reliance on Welker. Based on what we've seen to date, that doesn't appear to be the case.

I think Josh is impatient as well. He's like the teacher who knows the subject so well they can't comprehend why the students they teach aren't all aceing it. That's part of what landed him back here. Inability to implement a bold vision...because **** happens that runs the gammut from injury to retirement to inexperience to inability to consistently execute. He couldn't manage a turnaround at either of his last two stops because he failed to grasp the need for lesser talents to walk before they run...
That does not even resemble his comments.

It's more like Slow WR's is killing them.

The one thing we do frequently it seems is after we get a nice run on 1st down, we hurry to the line and get the next play off quick, which also happens to be a run and which almost always gets stuffed. If I know it's coming from watching a game at home i'm sure the opposing D knows it. McDaniels needs to add in a bit of play action on those plays to keep the D on their toes. I would also love to see more play action on the drives to close out games. Instead of 2 runs into a 9 man box our TEs could be lethal in play action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft