PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Presser 9/23/2013 w/ Albert Breer asking about injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
"But wow, I mean, Salk and Holley and Belichick make for a VERY uncomfortable three-man interview."

I really can't stand Salk. He adds absolutely nothing, is boring and well, comes across as a Jack Wagon. Of course compared to Mutt, he is a God.

The questions they asked BB last night were downright stupid. How do you prepare for an opponent that sucks? Come on is this the high school paper? It is time to get rid of all of the supposed "talent" on EEI and get some professional people on the air.

I thought the interview was par for the course. Michael Holley has credibility with Belichick and the Patriots, so his two questions about the new Belichick contract was fair, and Holley knew exactly what the answer would be. Belichick was expansive in talking about Lawrence Taylor, by far the best part of the interview.

The drawn out question about preparing for a team's best was useless. If any of the knuckleheads over at EEI are reading this, here are five questions that should have been asked. They would have been answered had they been asked by Fred Smerlas or Steve DeOssie (who I am not a fan of, for obvious reasons.) WEEI needs to get its head out of its butt and go back to pro football players in the studio with Belichick. He respects guys who have been there. What's wrong with Troy Brown and Smerlas in the Monday show?

These questions are offered with no big John Dennis lead-in that answers the question before it's asked.

The five questions:

1. What did the Patriots do to limit the Bucs biggest weapon, Vincent Jackson, to just three catches for 34 yards?

2. What do you see as the role of a veteran quarterback in mentoring first and second year receivers or running backs trying to learn the offense?

3. If Rob Gronkowski is cleared to play, how much of the two tight-end pass package can be put into the plan against the Falcons?

4. What are the main factors on defense that has reduced the number of big plays in both the passing and the running game?

5. Have you seen the way the Dolphins held Matt Ryan and the Falcons to 238 yards passing and what did you see in their pass defense that applies to the Patriots this week?

Much of what you've written makes perfect sense to me, but I think you missed my larger point - Belichick doesn't care about the consequences and, if he doesn't, I certainly don't.

I didn't miss it, I just wasn't responding to it directly.

There is a ridiculous notion put forth by the media that they are on a holy mission on behalf of us, the fans, to "make those SOBs (such as BB) accountable" and that they owe it to us, the fans, to answer all of the media's questions to their (the media's) satisfaction. What a load of BS.

The field of journalism, with its mission, principles, strategies, and tactics, is rooted in its primary responsibility - to help maintain democracy by shining a light on the political process. The heart of journalism is to investigate what isn't being seen, to hold public officials as inherently untrustworthy. All journalists are educated with this as the foundation of their field, and shining a light on things that are behind the curtain is their impulse, their very reason for being. One could make a good argument that without a free press operating in this manner, we wouldn't have the freedom to have a patsfans.com.

Therefore, they are going to start with the assumption that the coach, as the authority figure, isn't being forthcoming, and will consistently push him and trying to pull back the curtain. We can blame them for being incompetent in the way they do it, and sports journalists are among the most incompetent in their field, hence all this controversy. But their belief that they play an essential role in ferreting out the truth is in their DNA.

I believe that most of the media look upon us, the fans, with far more contempt than BB has for the media.
Quite possibly true, and to some extent caused by homerism, which is the antithesis of journalism.

I thought the interview was par for the course. Michael Holley has credibility with Belichick and the Patriots, so his two questions about the new Belichick contract was fair, and Holley knew exactly what the answer would be. Belichick was expansive in talking about Lawrence Taylor, by far the best part of the interview.

The drawn out question about preparing for a team's best was useless. If any of the knuckleheads over at EEI are reading this, here are five questions that should have been asked. They would have been answered had they been asked by Fred Smerlas or Steve DeOssie (who I am not a fan of, for obvious reasons.) WEEI needs to get its head out of its butt and go back to pro football players in the studio with Belichick. He respects guys who have been there. What's wrong with Troy Brown and Smerlas in the Monday show?

These questions are offered with no big John Dennis lead-in that answers the question before it's asked.

The five questions:

1. What did the Patriots do to limit the Bucs biggest weapon, Vincent Jackson, to just three catches for 34 yards?

2. What do you see as the role of a veteran quarterback in mentoring first and second year receivers or running backs trying to learn the offense?

3. If Rob Gronkowski is cleared to play, how much of the two tight-end pass package can be put into the plan against the Falcons?

4. What are the main factors on defense that has reduced the number of big plays in both the passing and the running game?

5. Have you seen the way the Dolphins held Matt Ryan and the Falcons to 238 yards passing and what did you see in their pass defense that applies to the Patriots this week?

Wow. That is an A1 post. Good read, thanks!

Last edited:

The field of journalism, with its mission, principles, strategies, and tactics, is rooted in its primary responsibility - to help maintain democracy by shining a light on the political process. The heart of journalism is to investigate what isn't being seen, to hold public officials as inherently untrustworthy. All journalists are educated with this as the foundation of their field, and shining a light on things that are behind the curtain is their impulse, their very reason for being. One could make a good argument that without a free press operating in this manner, we wouldn't have the freedom to have a patsfans.com.

Therefore, they are going to start with the assumption that the coach, as the authority figure, isn't being forthcoming, and will consistently push him and trying to pull back the curtain. We can blame them for being incompetent in the way they do it, and sports journalists are among the most incompetent in their field, hence all this controversy. But their belief that they play an essential role in ferreting out the truth is in their DNA.

Quite possibly true, and to some extent caused by homerism, which is the antithesis of journalism.
Agreed, and if homerism is the antithesis of journalism, so is hateration, although I'm not sure either hoemrism or hateration are actual words, but in this case I suppose they'll do.

I'm actually disappointed that BB doesn't treat most of the media with even more naked contempt.

I'd be the biggest ***hole on the planet to guys like Breer, then I'd turn around and give two-minute answers to a handful of other reporters who don't suck.

If those are the tenets of journalism, then we do not have journalism here in the US any more. We get either ball washing, cheer leading and editorial spiking of negative stories or we get the antithethis agenda demonizing the target. Holds true in sports and elsewhere.

this assumes that sports media "personalities" follow the basic tenets of journalism

i'd argue that most true journalism in this country is dead.....instead of journalists, we have media and media personalities......not just in sports writing, where it is rampant, but across most other fields of journalism as well

for me, his attitude is getting old.. Be a refresher if he treated the local media like when he talks to Pat Kirwan on SIRIUS.. Much different attitude, very responsive and polite..Thats the BB I enjoy..

Perhaps if the local media asked well informed and interesting questions like Pat Kirwan, they'd get a more polite and interesting response? Like, you know, act as if you're a professional reporter and research your subject so that you've got the chops to engage in knowledgeable discussions with the coach?

Or just badger him with idiotic questions knowing that he's not going to answer them and wonder why he's churlish and short with you.

Once you endure the first part of the presser, he goes into some detail about players playing single vs multiple positions and the intricacies of a slot corner. It was very informative.

No, it doesn't.

I think the current public perception of journalism is at an all time low and it is because of the biased and inched deep coverage of issues like Spygate.

I think the current public perception of journalism is at an all time low and it is because of the biased and inched deep coverage of issues like Spygate.

Public perception of the media is been low for a long time. But it doesn't "hurt" them. They can keep trotting crap articles out all they want and they'll still get the clicks and ad hits because someone gets incensed about it, posts the link to the article on a forum like this one, and hundreds of other sheep go there to read it, giving them more clicks and more ad hits. The sports media isn't hurting for it's hatchet jobs on stories (or non-stories) like SpyGate. They're making a killing on those types of stories.

it's amazing that a complete bullcrap set up hit by this Omissioner is forever etched into sports history, with all the innuendo and blatant lies STILL to this day taken as fact.

I ask all of you, WHERE is John Tomase today?...he doesn't cover the Pats anymore...it's like he just disappeared. This bloated,disgusting slop bag of a "writer" pulled one of the biggest media crimes in recent history and STILL to this day, hordes of "fans" still believe that "report" he made the week of the Super Bowl with the Giants.

Public perception of the media is been low for a long time. But it doesn't "hurt" them. They can keep trotting crap articles out all they want and they'll still get the clicks and ad hits because someone gets incensed about it, posts the link to the article on a forum like this one, and hundreds of other sheep go there to read it, giving them more clicks and more ad hits. The sports media isn't hurting for it's hatchet jobs on stories (or non-stories) like SpyGate. They're making a killing on those types of stories.

Are they making a killing or are they simply contributing to the overall noise? Sure they may grab some headlines. I'm sure the Herald with Tomase's article did. Did that make them a killing? Or was it more detrimental to them in the long run?

The lines between what is old media and new media has become blurred to the point where it is irrelevant. These media outlets once upon a time looked down on the bloggers and tweeters and are now finding themselves elbow to elbow with them fighting for the headlines. They are forced to used the same tactics just to stay competitive and the public doesn't view them as different. That is what is hurting them. Just look at their bottom lines. Are any of these media outlets really doing well? How many are on the verge of bankruptcy? How many are being bought and sold?

Once upon a time people would pay for quality coverage, now its just a commodity, and that is something that they brought upon themselves.

I think it does hurt them. Ten years ago essentially all my sports new was from the media.

Five years ago I still first went to the Boston Globe for my sports news.

Today I spend over 80% of my sports reading time on message boards (with at least 10% of the excess on links I clicked from message boards).

The same is true for pre-game shows. I used to love to watch them. Now I basically never seen them and don't care. The reason has a lot to do with what they offer (as well, of course, as the fact that there are other outlets now offering the same thing). Sports journalism has degenerated until mostly opinion pieces, often highly subjective opinion pieces without good reasoning attached.

All that being said, someone's listening to all the drivel. It's just not me.

But, for the record, I would really like to know the answers to the questions. I am curious about when Gronk will be back. I am curious whether there was any thought of playing. I understand that our coach thinks it hurts the team to reveal information like that. He's the boss, so I live with it. But I sure don't mind him having to play the game.
We all want to know and other teams want to know. The only thing it can do is getting us to anticipate the game even more and set (possibly) higher expectations on the offense.

The reality is, it gives opposing teams more information (though they'll prepare to play Gronk regardless) and we'll still see the game. It really changes nothing to give the answer, but might help a team a little bit more if it is answered. The rest of the answers come on Sundays.

While it would be nice if we got more from BB's pressers, maybe he'll have a tell all book written when his coaching days are over. I can wait until that time to get some answers.

Breer knows that Belichick is going to live and die by the league mandated injury report.

He knows Belichick isn't going to offer upcoming opponents a sliver of a clue of his intentions. Yet he continues with this line of questioning knowing he's going to be stonewalled as if to prove a point.

guy is a certifiable DB.

Breer knows that Belichick is going to live and die by the league mandated injury report.

He knows Belichick isn't going to offer upcoming opponents a sliver of a clue of his intentions. Yet he continues with this line of questioning knowing he's going to be stonewalled as if to prove a point.

guy is a certifiable DB.

His response on twitter was that it was a legitimate question for 31 other coaches in the league.

His response on twitter was that it was a legitimate question for 31 other coaches in the league.

Well he's hardly going to say he was doing it to stir the ****** was he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick