PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Presser 9/23/2013 w/ Albert Breer asking about injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
His response on twitter was that it was a legitimate question for 31 other coaches in the league.

Nobody claims it isn't a legitimate question. However, neither Belichick nor any of the 31 other coaches are obligated to answer it to Breer's satisfaction.

Are they making a killing or are they simply contributing to the overall noise? Sure they may grab some headlines. I'm sure the Herald with Tomase's article did. Did that make them a killing? Or was it more detrimental to them in the long run?

The lines between what is old media and new media has become blurred to the point where it is irrelevant. These media outlets once upon a time looked down on the bloggers and tweeters and are now finding themselves elbow to elbow with them fighting for the headlines. They are forced to used the same tactics just to stay competitive and the public doesn't view them as different. That is what is hurting them. Just look at their bottom lines. Are any of these media outlets really doing well? How many are on the verge of bankruptcy? How many are being bought and sold?

Once upon a time people would pay for quality coverage, now its just a commodity, and that is something that they brought upon themselves.

Most mass media and sports media is through online outlets. There are very few newspapers that are successful anymore. Any time someone clicks on a link, that's a hit on the website and a hit for their advertisers, which puts money back in their pockets. Nothing drives clicks like controversy. So yeah, they're making a killing.

Bill Belichick Press Conference Transcript

Dont know who this was but I can guess fairly certainly. Its no longer about getting info for this guy its just about showing up BB as a bad media person and being able to write about it later.

Lol, talk about stonewalling a reporter.

I think you could put Belichick in a room with Vladimir Putin and Putin would be the first one to blink. ;-)

We all want to know and other teams want to know. The only thing it can do is getting us to anticipate the game even more and set (possibly) higher expectations on the offense.

The reality is, it gives opposing teams more information (though they'll prepare to play Gronk regardless) and we'll still see the game. It really changes nothing to give the answer, but might help a team a little bit more if it is answered. The rest of the answers come on Sundays.

While it would be nice if we got more from BB's pressers, maybe he'll have a tell all book written when his coaching days are over. I can wait until that time to get some answers.

You understand why he has disdain for the press, as they want information he will not provide.. nothing has changed. He will not talk about Gronk or Amendola... that is a fact, he has never changed and probably never will.

BB toys with the press as it is an NFL Rule that he has to give press conferences. It is the same reason he cuts the sleeves off of sweat shirts, because the NFL dictates that he wear Nike clothing on the sidelines.. stupid rules.

A couple of years ago, Bedard I believe, asked BB where were his SB rings were, he replied "In a Box"... nuf said.

If you ask BB a football question he may oblige, if not he will make life difficult.. and PFT and the rest of the mediots will follow along. Do you think Breer will ever be taken seriously by BB, he is trying to embarrass him.

I think breer was surprised by 'inactive' answer and if he had shutdown then , he wouldve been made more fun off.So he went on and on to save some pride and show he is willing to go to battle with BB even though he looks like an idiot.

Good thread, and it's nice to see an actual discussion instead of reflexive "our guy is great, the press sucks" kind of responses.

The reality is that I wish our coach was more forthcoming in interviews. While some press members are annoying, they also are my proxy -- and lots of times, they ask questions that I actually would like the answer to. I would love to sit down with BB and get an honest evaluation of Gronk's progress, what BB is thinking about when he might play, what the risks are, what the limitations are. I know that would never happen, but I'd like to know. I also, horror of horrors, would actually like to hear BB talk a bit about his feelings about particular situations -- and to get truthful answers about what he thought of certain plays, official's calls, etc. For example, I used to love seeing Terry Francona interviewed after Red Sox games. For whatever reason, it made me feel a bit more like an insider about a team I love, and he was usually funny, candid, and insightful. The thing about BB is that he can be like that -- very very rarely, he is, and it's neat when he is. I don't need or want him to wear his heart on his sleeve like Rex Ryan or the San Francisco Harbaugh, whichever one he is, who come off like morons. But there are some coaches who I think have a nice balance. Caughlin, sometimes. John Fox.

The reality, though, is that I much prefer that the team win than any of this. And I understand it's very possible that some of what makes BB a great coach is, simply, incompatible with being more touchy-feely. So, it is what it is.

Most mass media and sports media is through online outlets. There are very few newspapers that are successful anymore. Any time someone clicks on a link, that's a hit on the website and a hit for their advertisers, which puts money back in their pockets. Nothing drives clicks like controversy. So yeah, they're making a killing.

I'm really not sure what your basis is for this statement. Old Newspapers have converted to online outlets ages ago but that isn't saving their businesses let along making them a "killing". Most of the local media people are employed by these outlets. The two most controversial, Borges and Shaughnessy, work for the Herald and Globe respectively. As I mentioned before, Tomase works for the Herald. None of them are killing it for those organizations. They are barely solvent. I'm not sure who these organizations are that are killing it in sports journalism.

No, it doesn't.

My point was that BB certainly isn't hurt by it. And by the media, I mean that the dweebs asking asinine questions get all butt hurt when BB totally blows them off. BB loves it and so do I. But saying that wouldn't have been as funny, IMO:rolleyes:

Belichick-moods.jpg

LOL on some of these comments..

That transcript between Breer and Belichick is one of the funniest things I have read in a while. I can't believe people are annoyed by this.

Hearing that Gronk had a 63.2% chance of playing and Amendola had a 24.5%chance to play would really increase your enjoyment of Patriot fandom?

I suspect that Breer pi$$ed off Belichick at some point, and now BB is being his difficult self in return. Or I could be wrong.

Either way, give me the humor that is a BB press conference over cliche' coach-speak any day.

Somebody put together a youtube collection of BB's best press conference moments. Please!

That transcript between Breer and Belichick is one of the funniest things I have read in a while. I can't believe people are annoyed by this.

Hearing that Gronk had a 63.2% chance of playing and Amendola had a 24.5%chance to play would really increase your enjoyment of Patriot fandom?

I suspect that Breer pi$$ed off Belichick at some point, and now BB is being his difficult self in return. Or I could be wrong.

Either way, give me the humor that is a BB press conference over cliche' coach-speak any day.

Somebody put together a youtube collection of BB's best press conference moments. Please!

I agree it's no big deal, but BB simply has no answer for a player that's inactive than to state it. Doesn't matter if Vince Lombardi came back from the grave to ask him.

The team has doctors, next week is next week and right now he's inactive, so there really isn't anything to talk about.

Not that he doesn't think Breer's being a douche...

......and now from this morning:

How much do I love this guy?????

Mary Paoletti @Mary_Paoletti
Gronkowski asked if he was close to playing vs. Tampa: "I was inactive," he stated. Then laughed for a solid 2 minutes.

Last edited:
Another classic from today

Q: On Sunday on fourth down, you had the offense set up like they were running a play and then sprint off and the punt team came on. What was the thinking behind that?

BB: We decided to punt. We sent the punt team out there.

Q: But the tactic. Did you practice that or anything?

BB: It was a fourth-and-short situation. We had decent field position. We thought about going for it but we decided to punt it.

Another classic from today

Q: On Sunday on fourth down, you had the offense set up like they were running a play and then sprint off and the punt team came on. What was the thinking behind that?

BB: We decided to punt. We sent the punt team out there.

... if this is not funny i do not know what it is ... :rofl::rofl:

... if this is not funny i do not know what it is ... :rofl::rofl:

BB is one of the great performance artists of this, or any, generation.

I'm not joking. You can see what he is really like in that "A Football Life" documentary. What he does in front of the media and in public is nuanced performance worthy of the greatest acting schools in the world. He literally deadens his facial muscles.

Last edited:
Media has no appreciation for droll deadpan humor, especially when it's at their expense.
Keep doing it BB, let the weenies here untwist their panties on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes