PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB press conference today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BB press conf today

Is it possible he's becoming delusional? Will he pull a cpt. Queeg?

I could see him having a meltdown and the pats hire back manjudas for a coach. What do you think?

"not that bad"? What game was he watching? Because the pats got man-handled, biatch slapped, gang raped, whatever term you want to use they were it.:confused:

I could see him having a meltdown and the pats hire back manjudas for a coach. What do you think?

"not that bad"? What game was he watching? Because the pats got man-handled, biatch slapped, gang raped, whatever term you want to use they were it.:confused:

No they didn't. It's not like the Chargers methodically marched down the field, drive after drive, or stifled the Pats offense. They hit a handful of critical huge pass plays which was the key to victory.

I'll agree that the Chargers def. won the battle on both sides of the line very definitively, but this is a classic case of a game being closer than the final score indicated.

Lombardi hit it on the head: The 2008 Pats have a very small margin for error. When they give up a handful of big plays, they will lose, no matter how well they play on the remaining 90% of the plays (which wasn't all that horrible on Sunday night).

He's right. Early in the 3rd quarter if they had made one more play and gotten in the EZ, it's a one-score game. It was already 17-10 in my head, and that's competitive.

Plus the difference in the game would have been one long play. In other words, had we scored there we would have played them even except for giving up one long TD pass.

You Jets fans will do anything to rid yourselves of the mistake that is Mangini

Was he watching the same game?

Also, I wonder why no talk about Cassel's play. I guess he feels that the problems are more with the defense than QB play.

Yes, I think he was. I came away with the same impression as Belichick when I re-watched the game on Monday.

Bump :attention: I think BB's assessment of competitiveness and Lombardi's take is newsworthy:D

Say we finish that goal line drive, which we wouldve completed 10/10 if we didnt have a bum like Cassel at QB... and we hit the FG... it wouldve been 30-20 game.

Maybe closer.

This stuff always goes the other way too. If Gates catches an easy TD on the first drive and Keading hit the FG he missed, San Diego has 24 points at the half and that opening second half drive that ended on the 1 is irrelevant whether they score or not.

Yes, I think he was. I came away with the same impression as Belichick when I re-watched the game on Monday.

I agree. I expect Cassel to have ups and downs, but the performance of our defense has been SHOCKING, and I'm being kind. I'm at a loss about what could be the problem. Is it the playcalling? Is it the players? Are they too old? Is it all of the above? There is definately a problem with the defense. They looked so good in weeks one and two. They haven't been the same since that Miami game. Did Miami expose our defense that badly? I honestly thought that it was a fluke, but now, I just don't know. They didn't look that good against the 49ers either. Martz picke on our secondary and put up 21 points, and the Chargers did the same thing. The most disappointing unit has been the front seven. Is it just me or does is it seem like our guys can't get off blocks? Where did our pass rush go?

Last edited:

I agree. I expect Cassel to have ups and downs, but the performance of our defense has been SHOCKING, and I'm being kind. I'm at a loss about what could be the problem. Is it the playcalling? Is it the players? Are they too old? Is it all of the above? There is definately a problem with the defense. They looked so good in weeks one and two. They haven't been the same since that Miami game. Did Miami expose our defense that badly? I honestly thought that it was a fluke, but now, I just don't know. They didn't look that good against the 49ers either. Martz picke on our secondary and put up 21 points, and the Chargers did the same thing. The most disappointing unit has been the front seven. Is it just me or does is it seem like our guys can't get off blocks? Where did our pass rush go?

From watching the SD game, it does seem that we cannot block....it also seemed that Cassel was under pressure a lot more than normal.

I am not sure what will help our team right now. What I do know is it is going to be a long next 11 weeks and I will be supporting our team in every way possible.

BB's right about the secondary. I know our pass rush is bad but still, those guys back there need to be ready to make plays. Where's Ty Law? If we're not going to roll with the pass rush then that secondary needs to get steppin'. Even if our pass rush was good those guys still need to make plays when they need to.

From watching the SD game, it does seem that we cannot block....it also seemed that Cassel was under pressure a lot more than normal.

I am not sure what will help our team right now. What I do know is it is going to be a long next 11 weeks and I will be supporting our team in every way possible.

A few of my football buddies have commented that the Pats might need to change their scheme a little. I don't know if they can do that at this point in the season, but they should think about tweeking it. Bah, personally, I think it's the same problem that I saw in the preseason: LACK OF EXECUTION. Only the players can fix that. The Coaches can't make them do that. The players have to step up and EXECUTE.

Last edited:

A few of my football buddies have commented that the Pats might need to change their scheme a little. I don't know if they can do that at this point in the season, but they should think about tweeking it. Bah, personally, I think it's the same problem that I saw in the preseason: LACK OF EXECUTION. Only the players can fix that. The Coaches can't make them do that. The players have to step up and EXECUTE.

Yes, I agree....I am not going to say loosing Brady for the year assisted in our teams loss of energy because it seems it has, but we have been a very dominate team for the last 7 years.

We need to remember what we were like back in 2002 and 2003 with the energy and commitment to giving it all we had.

I really hope we can bring back that.

I was thinking a change of defensive scheme might be needed as well. Think about it: These are good players, and I believe they are playing hard. BUT, they are the SAME players (overall) and SAME scheme that's been in place for several years now. Maybe the rest of the league has caught up with them?

I was thinking a change of defensive scheme might be needed as well. Think about it: These are good players, and I believe they are playing hard. BUT, they are the SAME players (overall) and SAME scheme that's been in place for several years now. Maybe the rest of the league has caught up with them?

Thats a good point. Maybe this year, the rest of the NFL has indeed caught up with the schemes we have been using and winning with.

Maybe its time for BB and his coaching staff to start dreaming up new stuff....

Caught up with them and copied them. It was bound to happen I guess but we'll see if BB et al can counteract that somehow.

Thats a good point. Maybe this year, the rest of the NFL has indeed caught up with the schemes we have been using and winning with.

Maybe its time for BB and his coaching staff to start dreaming up new stuff....

We won't get to see the dreams until December/January though

"I don't think the competitiveness of the game was reflected in the score," said Belichick. "We did a lot of good things, but we offset it with missing some opportunities and not being able to make a few plays at the right time."
True. But would it have made a difference in the game? Much as I thought the Patriots were going to win this game I have to think not. The Chargers called off the dogs in the final quarter, throwing only three passes (out of 16 plays).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we score on the goal line series, and Cassel hits a few open receivers here and there, this complexion of the game changes entirely.
Maybe not entirely, but true.

This game was SD's Super Bowl.
No it wasn't. To a man the Chargers said this game was only important in the sense that they didn't want to got to 2-4 which would make their chances of making the playoffs that much tougher. They also said that this win in no way makes up for the playoff losses to the Patriots.
They will lose in Buffalo this week and there next few weeks are tough.
Maybe so, Buffalo is looking pretty good and the Chargers have been wildly inconsistent. We'll see.

This stuff always goes the other way too. If Gates catches an easy TD on the first drive and Keading hit the FG he missed, San Diego has 24 points at the half and that opening second half drive that ended on the 1 is irrelevant whether they score or not.
Good points.

...this toffutti $ucks....yecccchhhh.....

I got to watch the first half of the first quarter this evening. It's funny, but River's first pass of the game to Jackson for 48 yds was short. Come to think of it he could have led Floyd better on his deep TD grab, to keep the defender from making a play on the ball. Rivers is considered to be in the second tier of current NFL QBs behind Manning and whatshisname, I think he's lucky he's got WRs like Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd to make him look good when he underthrows a deep ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News