PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB press conference today

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Bits from Belichick - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

2. Secondary issues -- Belichick was asked if the team's lack of pass rush -- no sacks and no quarterback hits -- contributed to San Diego's three 40-plus-yard passing plays. He said the secondary has the first set of responsibility on those plays. "Well, any time the ball gets thrown over your head in the secondary that's not good, so it's every defensive back's job to keep the ball in front of them. The intent is never to get it thrown over your head, so whether there is a pass rush or not that's the last line of defense. You got to prevent the big play, and if they hit them they can hit them in front of you. Ultimately, it's got to fall, long-passing stuff, with the secondary. You're always looking for more pass rush and always looking for tighter coverage, but you got to defend the deep ball first and we didn't do a real good job of that last night."

EDIT:BB rarely ever says this after a loss
"I don't think the competitiveness of the game was reflected in the score," said Belichick. "We did a lot of good things, but we offset it with missing some opportunities and not being able to make a few plays at the right time."

Last edited:
Re: BB press conf today

I agree with him about LeVoir. IMO, he looked a lot better than Kaczur and should at least deserve a shot at the starting job.

"I don't think the competitiveness of the game was reflected in the score," said Belichick. "We did a lot of good things, but we offset it with missing some opportunities and not being able to make a few plays at the right time."

Was he watching the same game?

Also, I wonder why no talk about Cassel's play. I guess he feels that the problems are more with the defense than QB play.

Also, I wonder why no talk about Cassel's play. I guess he feels that the problems are more with the defense than QB play.

I agree with him and it's the same feeling I came away with.

The offense had a couple of nice drives, one ending in a missed field goal, and the other ending in that stupid goalline stand. The defense played OK aside from those big pass plays and PI, which I know still count!

We are a play or two away from the game being tied or 1 score game in the 3rd. I feel like this team is on the verge of getting everything to click at once. Soon they will start to make those plays and things will look better (not that they look that terrible right now).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we score on the goal line series, and Cassel hits a few open receivers here and there, this complexion of the game changes entirely.

This game was SD's Super Bowl. They will lose in Buffalo this week and there next few weeks are tough.

here is gem i missed before

Belichick Q&A - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

I just know Saturday is normally a walkthrough day but with the game on Monday, I didn’t know if you would use it as something different than a walkthrough day.

Belichick: Like I said, we just got in early this morning and we are still going through the game from last night and then we will talk about our schedule going forward for this week. [We will] try to do what we feel like is in the best interest of the team and what we feel the team needs most. Right now we haven’t really gotten to that point because we are still, as I mentioned, going through the San Diego game and want to get all the corrections out of the way - things we need to talk about from there before we get started on Denver and the whole week of preparation for the Broncos. If you are trying to make vacation plans for the weekend you will have to hold off on them a little bit longer.

:rofl:
i mean i pity the press guy but really , was that question relevant to any story he was going to right is this what -to quote the reporters -" fans were looking for" ?

well..he will never single out any one player. even deltha oneal he didnt single out...just talked about defense overall.
once vrabel said in an interview that this is what he likes about BB most , he doesnt praise you individually a lot in public but doesnt criticize you either publicly.

He's right. Early in the 3rd quarter if they had made one more play and gotten in the EZ, it's a one-score game. It was already 17-10 in my head, and that's competitive.

He's right. Early in the 3rd quarter if they had made one more play and gotten in the EZ, it's a one-score game. It was already 17-10 in my head, and that's competitive.

There were many moments where things could have gone a bit differently, and thing would have been tighter.
In other words, I agree.

There were many moments where things could have gone a bit differently, and thing would have been tighter.
In other words, I agree.

Unfortunately, after that blown first-and-goal opportunity and subsequent TD, it was all academic.

I am pretty sure he was at the game, and paying attention. And that he has a deep understanding of all aspect of football. So maybe you weren't watching the same game.

I am pretty sure he was at the game, and paying attention. And that he has a deep understanding of all aspect of football. So maybe you weren't watching the same game.

Your right, Bill is a very smart man.....but he does have an ego, and to say something like: "I don't think the competitiveness of the game was reflected in the score," said Belichick. "We did a lot of good things, but we offset it with missing some opportunities and not being able to make a few plays at the right time." leads one to believe he was spouting the company line.

The pats got their ass's handed to them last night in every phaze of the game.

Your right, Bill is a very smart man.....but he does have an ego, and to say something like: "I don't think the competitiveness of the game was reflected in the score," said Belichick. "We did a lot of good things, but we offset it with missing some opportunities and not being able to make a few plays at the right time." leads one to believe he was spouting the company line.

Well put. They were dominated. ASses handed to them is right. It was a damn
disgrace.

I've been a huge fan of Cassel, to the point of being called a homer, but he was absolutely out of his league on that goal line stand.

Every game the pats lose he says we didnt do anything well and it starts from coaching . this game he says something different and its his ego and spouting the company line ??. Did he say the same thing when they lost to the fins ?

Every game the pats lose he says we didnt do anything well and it starts from coaching . this game he says something different and its his ego and spouting the company line ??. Did he say the same thing when they lost to the fins ?

Your looking to far into what I said. I think Bill was "spouting the company line" to show support for his players. It's not like he can tell us that they sucked, and they got their butts whipped all over the place. Considering the game, what he said was laughable imo. How could you say last night was a competative game?

Last edited:

Your looking to far into what I said. I think Bill was "spouting the company line" to show support to his players. Considering the game, what he said was laughable imo.

well..you are probably right . we did get blown out but things he pointed out werent just made up. we shut down the run and made rivers beat them without chambers and he did. We have struggled against the run in the last 3 games and he pointed it out ,same with 3rd down. He knows our team isnt good right now. i remember the 10-6 season in 2005 when we won the div he wore the AFC east div cap and was gleeful. on other yrs , it was forgotten and expected.He maybe egoistic, sourpuss and to quote someone on this board "maybe the reasone we havent won the SBB since 2004" whatever but i think is trying to keep his team focused on the +ves right now

Say we finish that goal line drive, which we wouldve completed 10/10 if we didnt have a bum like Cassel at QB... and we hit the FG... it wouldve been 30-20 game.

Maybe closer.

Say we finish that goal line drive, which we wouldve completed 10/10 if we didnt have a bum like Cassel at QB... and we hit the FG... it wouldve been 30-20 game.

Maybe closer.

Bro, it would have been a completely different game.

If Gost hit that FG, it's much less likely SD marches for a TD their next possession.

Same with the TD on first and goal.

Those two plays changed the game COMPLETELY. If they had gone differently, who knows what would have happened.

But that's the NFL. Just a few plays make all the difference in a game. Sunday night the Pats lost on every critical play.

You're right I had the same thought. Here's what Lombardi said about the game: The National Football Post | National Football Post Diner News

This game was a lot closer than the score. And if the Pats score at the start of the third, than it might have been a more competitive second half. The Pats without Brady have very little margin for error and when their defense gives up the deep ball, they make it easy for opposing offense. The Pats strength is in the Red Zone. When teams are forced to drive the ball down the field, this allows the Pats to play their solid red zone coverage and make their opponents kick field goals thus keeping the score down. The Pats cannot play a game in the 20s. They will need to keep the score in the teens and get the game into the fourth quarter. I suspect they will fix their deep ball problems and keep trying to play a style that best allows them to win games.

Bro, it would have been a completely different game.

If Gost hit that FG, it's much less likely SD marches for a TD their next possession.

Same with the TD on first and goal.

Those two plays changed the game COMPLETELY. If they had gone differently, who knows what would have happened.

But that's the NFL. Just a few plays make all the difference in a game. Sunday night the Pats lost on every critical play.

And don't forget Faulk's 1-yard run on 3rd/2 from the NE 14 with 3:21 left in the 1st half. If he makes the 1st down, then perhaps SD doesn't have enough time to score their 2nd TD, esp. if in another quantum reality, Mayo doesn't get flagged for the facemask. I drove the family back to Hershey from Charlottesville VA on Sunday night, so the only action I've seen is via NFLN on Demand, but it seems to me like that play was the right call. Can't blame Skippy for that one, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back