PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB: Matt is our Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BB:Matt is our Quarterback

I have finally figured out the fanboys focused on Cassel.

THey, like myself, have totally blanked out last Feb's game. Forgeting what happened to Brady then, they expect a great performance from the backup.

It could also be the result of a lot of people here doing nothing but quoting stats from 2001 from weeks 1-3 to defend Cassel? Since this past Sunday the attitude seems to have shifted from "he could be good!" to "he shouldn't be expected to be good!".

It could also be the result of a lot of people here doing nothing but quoting stats from 2001 from weeks 1-3 to defend Cassel? Since this past Sunday the attitude seems to have shifted from "he could be good!" to "he shouldn't be expected to be good!".

The 2001 patriots had a defense and special teams that put up points and created turnovers. That hasn't been the case this year, sure it would be great to just blame the defense for letting up those big plays, Delta O'Neal for being just slightly out of position......but the truth is that a single good throw can erase that kind of error really quickly.

The defense has been a huge dissapointment, I would love to see the defense carry this team like it did in 2001....Why isn't it? Maybe it will pick up in the next couple of weeks...and if that is the case, then maybe Cassel will be good enough....

I remember watching the Patriots and cheering because they got a first down or had a good play, never really expecting them to win, just hoping the game was competitive.....I think this year will be a lot like that...praying the game is competitive...if it isn't..there are always first downs to cheer.

Mostly, I just want to vent my frustration about the poor production. Sorry if that offends some people.

Last edited:
When BB said to the media "Matt is our quarterback" he really meant
"8-8 record is our goal" - In reality it means the same thing

Matt Cassel is a backup quarterback. He's not supposed to be the team's starter for 16 games. If a team's starter goes down in week one, you can usually write the team off completely, whether Cassel or some other QB happens to be the team backup. Those of you who keep complaining need only look to the 1999 New York Jets. The Kurt Warner's of the world are exceptions, not the rule.

Cassel's led the team to 3 wins in 5 games.

I dont understand how people can be unhappy if our 16-0 team from last year loses the best ever Qb, and no matter who steps in, they go 10-6 or 11-5 and win the division. 3-2 is 9-6 so our record so far isnt off the mark of that.
At 3-2, if we win the following games:
Jets
Dolphins
Bills once
Rams
Raiders
Cardinals
Seahawks

we are 10-6 if we lose all of
Bills once
Steelers
Broncos
Colts

Is anyone saying that is a ridiculous expectation? Is it foolish to think we can win those 7 games, and not ever win any of the other 4? (Hell we are favored to beat Denver)

As of today, isn't it very reasonable to assume we are headed for 10-6 maybe 11-5 and a good chance of winning the AFCE? Then we have our shot in the playoffs? Wouldn't that be acceptable given the circumstances?

Did anybody really think Matt Cassell would become a leading QB in 5 short games after Brady went down??

How many back up QB;s come on to lead teams to great seasons, right away??

Getting into the playoffs is very much a reasonable goal to reach. If the coaches and BB feels this is the way to go, I think I trust their opinion more than anyone else in this group.

Were 3-2 and to place all or most of the blame on Cassel means you don't watch the games or know what you are seeing.

Give the guy a chance to gain experience so that when we do get into the dance, we have a chance to do something.

If we beat Denver and SD beats Buffalo - guess what, we're tied for first place with 4 of the 10 or possibly 11 victories needed to get in, with 10 games to play.

The 2001 patriots had a defense and special teams that put up points and created turnovers. That hasn't been the case this year, sure it would be great to just blame the defense for letting up those big plays, Delta O'Neal for being just slightly out of position......but the truth is that a single good throw can erase that kind of error really quickly.

The defense has been a huge dissapointment, I would love to see the defense carry this team like it did in 2001....Why isn't it? Maybe it will pick up in the next couple of weeks...and if that is the case, then maybe Cassel will be good enough....

I remember watching the Patriots and cheering because they got a first down or had a good play, never really expecting them to win, just hoping the game was competitive.....I think this year will be a lot like that...praying the game is competitive...if it isn't..there are always first downs to cheer.

Mostly, I just want to vent my frustration about the poor production. Sorry if that offends some people.

The 2001 defense was not great for the entire season, it was for the last 6 reg season games and the playoffs, not allowing more than 17 points in any of those games. During the first 10 it was OK but not dominant.

I dont understand how people can be unhappy if our 16-0 team from last year loses the best ever Qb, and no matter who steps in, they go 10-6 or 11-5 and win the division. 3-2 is 9-6 so our record so far isnt off the mark of that.
Jets
Dolphins
Bills once
Rams
Raiders
Cardinals
Seahawks

Bills once
Steelers
Broncos
Colts

Is anyone saying that is a ridiculous expectation? Is it foolish to think we can win those 7 games, and not ever win any of the other 4? (Hell we are favored to beat Denver)

As of today, isn't it very reasonable to assume we are headed for 10-6 maybe 11-5 and a good chance of winning the AFCE? Then we have our shot in the playoffs? Wouldn't that be acceptable given the circumstances?

I'm buying.

When BB said to the media "Matt is our quarterback" he really meant
"8-8 record is our goal" - In reality it means the same thing

Right. BB has given up on the season.
Thanks for the insight.

Jets
Dolphins
Bills once
Rams
Raiders
Cardinals
Seahawks

Bills once
Steelers
Broncos
Colts

The Dolphins already know how to spank us so that won't be easy

Winning both games out west 2 in 2 weeks will be difficult

The Jets have now become familiar with Favre and are his team now unlike how he was just slinging it earlier

In case you have not noticed the Cardinals have become a force to reckon with and in some polls Kurt Warner is an early entrant for MVP

The 4 games you assume we can lose will indeed be extremely tough to win and the teams I mentioned from your list of 'pansies' may not be so easy as you think.

The 2001 defense was not great for the entire season, it was for the last 6 reg season games and the playoffs, not allowing more than 17 points in any of those games. During the first 10 it was OK but not dominant.

The defense created turnovers and points off turnovers, the special teams scored points....yes, they definitly picked it up at the end of the season.

Lets not forget the physicality of the defense too, they were the most physical team in the NFL in 2001

As for your list of teams:

Jets - Possibly could win this game
Dolphins - Possibly could win this game
Bills - Probably a split
Rams - Should win this one
Raiders - Should win this one
Cardinals - Lose this game
Seahawks - Could win

I agree with your designated losses.
Bills once
Steelers
Broncos
Colts
----------------

I have the Patriots defnily losing to the Cardinals and the other games you think the patriots will win, I have as toss ups...to possible blowouts depending if the defense remembers how to smack people in the mouth.

The Dolphins already know how to spank us so that won't be easy

Winning both games out west 2 in 2 weeks will be difficult

The Jets have now become familiar with Favre and are his team now unlike how he was just slinging it earlier

In case you have not noticed the Cardinals have become a force to reckon with and in some polls Kurt Warner is an early entrant for MVP

The 4 games you assume we can lose will indeed be extremely tough to win and the teams I mentioned from your list of 'pansies' may not be so easy as you think.

What are you talkig about?

I don't have any ill will towards Cassel, he just isn't good enouh to win games.

What part of 3-2 is escaping you? Are you unable to read numbers? Do you have the inability to read sportspages and decipher whether or not the Patriots have any wins this season? Whether you choose to keep spouting nonsense or you finally smarten the hell up, the underlying truth will remain: the Patriots are 3-2 with Cassel at the helm for essentially the entire season to date.

In other words, Cassel's been good enough to win 3 games, despite your insistence that he's not good enough to win games.

What part of 3-2 is escaping you? Are you unable to read numbers? Do you have the inability to read sportspages and decipher whether or not the Patriots have any wins this season? Whether you choose to keep spouting nonsense or you finally smarten the hell up, the underlying truth will remain: the Patriots are 3-2 with Cassel at the helm for essentially the entire season to date.

In other words, Cassel's been good enough to win 3 games, despite your insistence that he's not good enough to win games.

Game manager situations are his strong suit, when I say he "can't win games" I am talking about taking the team on his shoulders and winning a game, making comebacks, face adversity and make things happen.

That's what I am talking about when I say "win games"

What are you talkig about?

You gave a list of teams you expect this team to beat and then a list of 4 teams you expect the team could lose to

I clearly said the list of pansies (which is the list you think the Patriots will beat) is not as easy as you think - Chalking up wins against the teams you expect NE to beat will be tougher than you think and thats on top of the 4 teams you expect to give NE the biggest challenge

This years Patriots team is not good enough to pencil in any opposing team as a win so you can makes lists until you turn blue - Even the Rams and Raiders could beat NE if they come to play.

There is not one game on this schedule where you can pinpoint to it and say its a win like you would have done last season

.....As of today, isn't it very reasonable to assume we are headed for 10-6 maybe 11-5 and a good chance of winning the AFCE? Then we have our shot in the playoffs? Wouldn't that be acceptable given the circumstances?

While I think it's reasonable to assume that the Patriots CAN do what you say, and I also think it's very reasonable to assume that this Patriots team CAN win every single game left on the schedule in a year where almost every team is struggling with consistency, I don't think it's likely that the Patriots WILL win every game you have on the win list. I just think there will be more inconsistency in the future.

Now, having said that, I wouldn't be shocked to see them do something like losing to the Cardinals and beating the Steelers. I look at the schedule this way....

Raiders/Rams - Must and should wins. If they lose these, it's time to stick a fork in the season.

Dolphins - should win, revenge factor high

Jets - tough win, with Favre settling in

Bills - likely split, although I could see the Patriots sweep

Cardinals - a battle of two very inconsistent teams. Flip a coin

Colts - until the Patriots start getting to the QB, I'm calling this a loss

Steelers - I consider this one a toss up right now, oddly enough

Seahawks - ask me when the game gets closer. Too many injuries to evaluate right now

Broncos - To me, this is the pivotal game. A win here and the team should be 5-2 heading into the Colts game in good shape. A loss, and the team is probably 4-4 and looking at an uphill climb to the playoffs.

And, surprisingly, I'm not completely hating this. I hate the idea that they might not make the playoffs but, on the other hand, I love that each game is of tremendous importance just to make the postseason, unlike last year. Last year, the only times I had any real 'charge' watching the games were at the very end of the Ravens game and during the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
3) Trade deadline today – no moves expected. The NFL trade deadline is today, and Belichick was asked if anything was on the horizon. “I don’t think so,” he said. “I’d say there is a less than 1 percent chance of anything happening there.”

so there IS a chance........YES!!!

Game manager situations are his strong suit, when I say he "can't win games" I am talking about taking the team on his shoulders and winning a game, making comebacks, face adversity and make things happen.

Kindly list the currently starting NFL quarterbacks that you'd feel confident about coming back from a 2 score deficit. Then move on and list all the backups you'd feel confident about coming back from a 2 score deficit. Let me get you started:

1.) Drew Brees
2.) Peyton Manning (as long as it's not a game with immediate playoff repercussions)
3.) Brett Favre

Surely you'll be able to list every single NFL starter and then start tacking on a dozen or more backups, so this should be easy.

P.S. Brad Johnson is currently the starter for the Cowboys and Palmer is not the starter for the Bengals

BB is a neanderthal OConnell should start. Staying with Cassel = top 10 pick in the draft! Wooohooo! :woohoo:

BB is a neanderthal OConnell should start. Staying with Cassel = top 10 pick in the draft! Wooohooo! :woohoo:

Remember, you said you were out of here if Cassel started against the Donks. Look what BB said. Cassel is his starting QB.

Bye!

You, Wendy and other such spammers won't be missed.

Not that I expect you're a man of your word.

Yo Rook,
Your response is what's called "moving the goalposts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes