PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB: Matt is our Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BB:Matt is our Quarterback

Well, then Brady must definitely be God because this o-line isn't that much different that last years o-line....and seeing that the o-line is decent at run-blocking..well, try rolling him out a little. You see, the problem is that no one respects Cassell - and they are bringing it to the o-line because there is absolutely no fear of getting burned.

You clearly haven't been watching the games. Light, Mankins, and Koppen have been shells of themselves. Yates has be a mediocre JAG and Kaczur is worse than he's ever been. And that goes for the run blocking and the pass blocking.

You clearly haven't been watching the games. Light, Mankins, and Koppen have been shells of themselves. Yates has be a mediocre JAG and Kaczur is worse than he's ever been. And that goes for the run blocking and the pass blocking.

What are your thoughts of shopping Mankins and Light for draft picks in the offseason, DB?

Maybe they were incredibly over-rated because brady is THAT good. Opposing teams knew about Brady's quick release and dropped into coverage more....oh, and then they got Randy and that was another headache for the defense. This year? No real excedrin moments for the opposing d.

"I knowz what I'm doing!"

2942465858_69e2c1071a.jpg

I hope its work out for Matt but if not the Patriots have only themselve to blame. A trade for a qb isn't a guarantee for success but doing nothing isn't either. Plus it shows to me that Brady is more important than Belichick for the Patriots.

.....a legitimate QB should not panick, first of all. Secondly - his pocket presence blows chunks - when the pocket is collapsing - move around a little - create time - make your friggin' reads! He makes one read - maybe two - then tucks the ball in....when he does move in the pocket - he moves the wrong way. He can't sell the play action because no team respects him. He does not exactly look like Mr. Poise out there. No offense folks, but Matt Cassel is what he is. Not very good and don't expect it to get a whole lot better.

Which brings up a good point - is there any reason why Josh the Dunce is creating some roll out type options for this QB to try to prevent the dear in the headlighst things that's going on?

Why rollouts? Roll outs are horrible ideas except for a play or two. Rollouts takes away half the field from the QB. Brady can only get away from throwing across his body on rare occassions. You definitely can't ask Cassel to do that. There is a reason the rollout is a very rare play call in this league.

I don't get how people can trash Cassel as being a horrible QB and then blast McDaniels too. I still don't get the hater logic. Either McDaniels is given garbage to work with and is in a now win situation or Cassel is better than people give him credit for and McDaniels sucks.

If they both suck as bad as people say, the Pats would not be able to move the ball at all and they would have gotten shut out at least one of the two losses.

Actually, Light hasn't been bad this year. But he is the only one on the line performing at least decent. Mankins has been good at run blocking, but miserable at pass protection. Koppen has been mediocre for most of the season, but was totally dominated on Sunday night. I mean a monumentally bad to the point I wished they replaced him with Hochstein. LeVoir was actually a minor upgrade to Kazcur which may spell the end of him.

Hopefully, when Neal comes off the PUP he is ready to play right away. His return will do a lot to shure up the deficiencies on the o-line. Although we gotta be patient with him too.

The truth is that Matt Cassel is not an NFL QB that will win games. He is too quick to pull the ball down and give up on his receivers, he reacts to perceived pressure, not with keeping his eyes downfield and moving around, but by pulling the ball down and looking to outrun players that are clearly much faster than him.

The only way the Patriots win games is if the defense steps up and dominates teams, forces turnovers and scores points. If that isn't going to happen, then it IS up to Cassel to put points on the board. Since, he is unable to do that, we are in for a very long season.

Cassel doesn't have the "it" that quarterbacks need to be successfull in the NFL. Cassel freaks out, doesn't read defenses, doesn't feel the pressure properly and does not throw deep balls with accuracy or confidence...Basically, Cassel is playing with fear and that isn't something I want to see out of the NE Patriots starting QB.

Belichick will keep playing Cassel because if the Patriots can keep the game to managable situations the Patriots will have a solid chance to win. However, the two games that have been lost, a real QB may have been able to win by taking advantage of opportunities...instead Cassel has crapped is pants.

Sure,the defense has some blame, the play calling has some blame...but in the end the guy who has the most power to make a difference is the one who is going to take the heat....That guy is Matt Cassel.

The offensive line has been serviciable, not great but not as bad as Cassel makes them look.

Last edited:

I can hardly wait for the fanboy fringe to depart! :singing:

Assuming they keep their word... :rolleyes:

I never said i was going anywhere, I just said cassel sucks, which he does.

Aparently thinking that Cassel isn't a real NFL QB means you must be a bandwagon fan. Go figure.

The truth is that Matt Cassel is not an NFL QB that will win games. He is too quick to pull the ball down and give up on his receivers, he reacts to perceived pressure, not with keeping his eyes downfield and moving around, but by pulling the ball down and looking to outrun players that are clearly much faster than him.

The only way the Patriots win games is if the defense steps up and dominates teams, forces turnovers and scores points. If that isn't going to happen, then it IS up to Cassel to put points on the board. Since, he is unable to do that, we are in for a very long season.

Cassel doesn't have the "it" that quarterbacks need to be successfull in the NFL. Cassel freaks out, doesn't read defenses, doesn't feel the pressure properly and does not throw deep balls with accuracy or confidence...Basically, Cassel is playing with fear and that isn't something I want to see out of the NE Patriots starting QB.

Belichick will keep playing Cassel because if the Patriots can keep the game to managable situations the Patriots will have a solid chance to win. However, the two games that have been lost, a real QB may have been able to win by taking advantage of opportunities...instead Cassel has crapped is pants.

Sure,the defense has some blame, the play calling has some blame...but in the end the guy who has the most power to make a difference is the one who is going to take the heat....That guy is Matt Cassel.

The offensive line has been serviciable, not great but not as bad as Cassel makes them look.

Matt Cassel is a backup quarterback. He's not supposed to be the team's starter for 16 games. If a team's starter goes down in week one, you can usually write the team off completely, whether Cassel or some other QB happens to be the team backup. Those of you who keep complaining need only look to the 1999 New York Jets. The Kurt Warner's of the world are exceptions, not the rule.

Cassel's led the team to 3 wins in 5 games.

Last edited:

forget cassel for a min. why cant we have a threat of a running game with 4 RB's ? wont that help ...a lot ?

Aparently thinking that Cassel isn't a real NFL QB means you must be a bandwagon fan. Go figure.

I would think that thinking a shtty qb is good would mean you were a bandwagon fan.

I would think that thinking a shtty qb is good would mean you were a bandwagon fan.

Bandwagoners show up when the team is awesome and stick around for some trash talk when they are shown as latching on only for the good. They prefer to like teams that somehow affect their self-esteem for the better.

Likely these people will end up married about three times as well. ;)

Last edited:

You're just still miffed that he wasn't out of the league the day they were certainly going to cut him back in august...

But I guess you're over how the whole team layed down and deserved to be boo'd against Miami...

And there is nothing perceived about the pressure he faces... Ask Brady since he's a first ballot lock HOF'er who faced it last February and couldn't put up more than 17 points or hit Randy Moss from his ass despite being surrounded by all that talent to save his soul...

And I was not speaking to you Sivy

Cassel is what he is, a backup who has obviously demonstrated ability to the coaches. There are other serious underperformances on the offense that are making this backup perform poorly. Other factors aside, he gave a poor performance vs SD.

Wait a minute. Did I miss the news about the Pats trading for (insert name here) ? What, no Culpepper? No Simms?

'briz', and 'bradytomoss', must be pi**ing themselves right now :D

You're just still miffed that he wasn't out of the league the day they were certainly going to cut him back in august...

But I guess you're over how the whole team layed down and deserved to be boo'd against Miami...

And there is nothing perceived about the pressure he faces... Ask Brady since he's a first ballot lock HOF'er who faced it last February and couldn't put up more than 17 points or hit Randy Moss from his ass despite being surrounded by all that talent to save his soul...

I don't have any ill will towards Cassel, he just isn't good enouh to win games. You may think a project QB is a good idea, I simply disagree. The poster who said that Cassel is nothing more than a backup QB is correct, you can bring Cassel in for a game or two, but to expect to be able to ride the season on him is a bit too much. The Patriots just dont have any better options at the moment.

Yes, the team laid down and deserved to be boo'd against the Phins....your point?

I didn't realize that the Chargers defense was capable of the kind of of pressure that Brady faced in the Superbowl. I really don't see how you can compare the Superbowl Giants with the struggling Chargers.

The point I am making about Cassel is that the pressure isn't as bad as it looks. Just as Brady makes the OL look better, Cassel makes the OL look worse than they really are.

I have finally figured out the fanboys focused on Cassel.

THey, like myself, have totally blanked out last Feb's game. Forgeting what happened to Brady then, they expect a great performance from the backup.

I have finally figured out the fanboys focused on Cassel.

THey, like myself, have totally blanked out last Feb's game. Forgeting what happened to Brady then, they expect a great performance from the backup.

I don't think anybody expects miracles out of Cassel, just for him to keep his head up and throw the ball to wide open receivers. That isn't too much to ask, is it?

The Superbowl has nothing to do with this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots