PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB and Mankins have a "nice talk"

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, Cap hell is such an over-used term. Do you even understand what it really means? It was used as a term for teams who were actually over the salary cap and would have to CUT good players to get under it. The Redskins proved not to long ago that it's fairly easy to shed $30 million in "salary cap" and still put a team on the field. Especially when the players they cut weren't playing well to begin with. There is also plenty of contracts that can be re-done to free up money.

So, you'll have to forgive me if I think you are blowing their situation way out of proportion.

Yes. If Rexy wanted to give a big F-U to the Pats, he could sign Mankins to a deal and fork over the two 1st round picks.

I don't think "cap hell" is in the dictionary but whatever you want to call it, the Jets have some serious cap issues right now. They have a cap number of 119 million with 61 signed-but 24 of those guys are minimum salary, futures contract type guys, so if the cap is 140 they have 21 million to sign about 20 players, including replacements for the first, second and fourth wide receivers (who is also their kickoff returner), four defensive starters (Ellis/Harris/Cromartie/Pool), their nickel back, their third and fourth safties, their top reserve offensive lineman, and both kickers.

They'll get around it, they'll field a team, but unless they push a lot of their obligations into the future they're probably going to be a lot less talented next year.

Last edited:
Yes. If Rexy wanted to give a big F-U to the Pats, he could sign Mankins to a deal and fork over the two 1st round picks.

Two First Round Picks for Mankins!!!! Please, please, please do that Rex!

Absolutely. As the line is presently constituted they are heavily screen left. This mandates a left guard who can get in space and create a seal on pursuing backers and safeties. It's also well known that Light's main vulnerability is speed to his outside shoulder. Teams know how deep Light has to get to reach these guys, and how hard he has to drive to do so. This opens up the left b gap to blitzes or crashes. The LG has to be able to chip the center's man then get lateral to protect the area vacated by the outside rush. Other times, he'll have to pass stunts and recognize delayed pressures. In the directional run game their two best blockers are Mankins and Vollmer. How do you combine the two? Yup, gotta pull Mankins. Watch their directional plays. Almost exclusively behind Mankins. They also don't have a good pilemoving guard on this team other than Mankins. Everytime they need a couple if tough yards they get downhill behind Mankins. Can't do that with Connoly nor Kaczur. Mankins in this offense is like Polamolu in the Steelers' defense. Everything flows through him.

Jay, in your opinion how much does this change if we get bigger/better linemen at Centre/RG?

Jay, in your opinion how much does this change if we get bigger/better linemen at Centre/RG?

I think that the addition of a bigger center would certainly help. I think that Koppen is a really good center against 43 teams. He's got pretty good feet and does a nice job reaching players at the second level and chipping one techniques. He's pretty poor against 34 teams because the nose tackles are just too powerful for him. A bigger center would certainly open up more up the middle runs which would help keep defenses honest.

A bigger right guard would actually contribute to this even more. It would give you a guy who can create better seals along the defensive line which opens up the pulling game even more. Further, in getting size you typically sacrifice agility. Agility is critical in the screen game, and this would further emphasize screens to the left. It would also take away from the zone runs, which I think is a good thing as they don't have a really good zone back.

The short version is that a bigger center would help both the overall group and the play diversity. A bigger guard would reinforce these tendencies.

Absolutely. As the line is presently constituted they are heavily screen left. This mandates a left guard who can get in space and create a seal on pursuing backers and safeties. It's also well known that Light's main vulnerability is speed to his outside shoulder. Teams know how deep Light has to get to reach these guys, and how hard he has to drive to do so. This opens up the left b gap to blitzes or crashes. The LG has to be able to chip the center's man then get lateral to protect the area vacated by the outside rush. Other times, he'll have to pass stunts and recognize delayed pressures. In the directional run game their two best blockers are Mankins and Vollmer. How do you combine the two? Yup, gotta pull Mankins. Watch their directional plays. Almost exclusively behind Mankins. They also don't have a good pilemoving guard on this team other than Mankins. Everytime they need a couple if tough yards they get downhill behind Mankins. Can't do that with Connoly nor Kaczur. Mankins in this offense is like Polamolu in the Steelers' defense. Everything flows through him.

I think that the addition of a bigger center would certainly help. I think that Koppen is a really good center against 43 teams. He's got pretty good feet and does a nice job reaching players at the second level and chipping one techniques. He's pretty poor against 34 teams because the nose tackles are just too powerful for him. A bigger center would certainly open up more up the middle runs which would help keep defenses honest.

A bigger right guard would actually contribute to this even more. It would give you a guy who can create better seals along the defensive line which opens up the pulling game even more. Further, in getting size you typically sacrifice agility. Agility is critical in the screen game, and this would further emphasize screens to the left. It would also take away from the zone runs, which I think is a good thing as they don't have a really good zone back.

The short version is that a bigger center would help both the overall group and the play diversity. A bigger guard would reinforce these tendencies.

Thanks so much; I think it is safe to say that this type of detailed breakdown and analysis is very much appreciated by everyone who frequents this site.

IAN! Bring back Rep. We need kudos for football information rich posts like this!

First of all, Cap hell is such an over-used term. Do you even understand what it really means? It was used as a term for teams who were actually over the salary cap and would have to CUT good players to get under it. The Redskins proved not to long ago that it's fairly easy to shed $30 million in "salary cap" and still put a team on the field. Especially when the players they cut weren't playing well to begin with. There is also plenty of contracts that can be re-done to free up money.

So, you'll have to forgive me if I think you are blowing their situation way out of proportion.

Yes. If Rexy wanted to give a big F-U to the Pats, he could sign Mankins to a deal and fork over the two 1st round picks.[/QUOTE that is where they are if they want to try to field a team as competitive as this year. They were all in for this year. They may be able to stay under the next cap but they will have to let a lot of tallent go or restructure basicly crippleing them selves down the road. Plus a team can not be over the cap, the NFL moniters team cap amounts and will not aprove a contract putting them over it. CAP HELL refers to a future situation that will require restructuring contracts or releasing players to get under the cap. So I have been aware of the meaning of the term. Excuse me if I don't forgive you for your condensending attitude, Maby the fact that you have the time to make nearly 8 posts a day each and every day of your life (not counting any other forums) for the last six years gives you the false feeling of comfort in this forum. You wouldn't happen to be a woried JEST fan?

I don't think "cap hell" is in the dictionary but whatever you want to call it, the Jets have some serious cap issues right now. They have a cap number of 119 million with 61 signed-but 24 of those guys are minimum salary, futures contract type guys, so if the cap is 140 they have 21 million to sign about 20 players, including replacements for the first, second and fourth wide receivers (who is also their kickoff returner), four defensive starters (Ellis/Harris/Cromartie/Pool), their nickel back, their third and fourth safties, their top reserve offensive lineman, and both kickers.

They'll get around it, they'll field a team, but unless they push a lot of their obligations into the future they're probably going to be a lot less talented next year.

Very well put. I agree.

Great stuff Jay, lets hope they go OL early in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes