PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are reporters afraid to ask Belichick the tough questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking aout this last night. Thinking back to the 2014 draft, and major positions not being addressed (especially TE & WR), why didn't the reporters ask him about that ? Why didn't reporters ask him about risking a #1 pick on a guy who has had 2 major knee surgeries on both knees ?

If I was a reporter, I would ask him "The 2014 draft was known as one of the deepest drafts as far as WR ever, why wasn't a WR picked until the 7th round ?" Especially since we have a weak receiver corp, and the 3 rookies from last season, all ended the season with injuries.

And then the BIG Gorilla in the room, I'd ask him, "Why wasn't the TE position addressed at all ?" Especially when the team needs receiving TE's desperately. It's so obvious our offense is elite when Gronkowski is in there, but when he's not, the offense suffers.

I didn't see ANY reporter ask these questions, and they are viable concerns. I know BB would come back with the usual "I picked the players I thought would make our team better", but I wouldn't sit there and nod my head and say, "oh". I'd come back and say, "That answer doesn't answer the specific questions". Why are reporters so afraid of Belichick, or are they not intelligent enough to ask these question ?

Wait, you don't like the Easley pick?

oh-please-tell-me-more.jpg

And no, I don't think reporters are afraid to ask him the tough questions. I think they just know that they won't get a straight answer and don't even bother anymore.

those are not really tough questions, and we already know the answers.

"We drafted what we thought were the best players available at the time, that fit our teams needs" "We did full medical work ups on him, and we are confident he can be a big piece of our team"

If anything those questions are Softballs, and the only people who gets upset about them are the MMQB's who think they have what it takes to be a PRO gm, and lead a team to teh playoffs every single year, when in reality they have a tough time handling the duties of an assistant manager at some local clothing store.

Why ask him a question that you know he won't really answer. I don't think they are afraid to ask I just think they don't.

Maybe they are afraid of putting him on the spot and make him upset, answering like, It is what it is, you know I have this friend...

120712hernandez.jpg

those are not really tough questions, and we already know the answers.

"We drafted what we thought were the best players available at the time, that fit our teams needs" "We did full medical work ups on him, and we are confident he can be a big piece of our team"

If anything those questions are Softballs, and the only people who gets upset about them are the MMQB's who think they have what it takes to be a PRO gm, and lead a team to teh playoffs every single year, when in reality they have a tough time handling the duties of an assistant manager at some local clothing store.
Hey, I'm assistant TO the assistant manager at some local clothing store !

All kidding aside, none of you have concerns about our TE and WR position with the window closing on the Brady era ? Brady doesn't have the weapons other top QBs have, and our offense, though 5th best last year, looked dysfunctional many times last season, in fact our DEFENSE, before the injuries, carried our offense the first part of the season.

I was thinking aout this last night. Thinking back to the 2014 draft, and major positions not being addressed (especially TE & WR), why didn't the reporters ask him about that ? Why didn't reporters ask him about risking a #1 pick on a guy who has had 2 major knee surgeries on both knees ?

If I was a reporter, I would ask him "The 2014 draft was known as one of the deepest drafts as far as WR ever, why wasn't a WR picked until the 7th round ?" Especially since we have a weak receiver corp, and the 3 rookies from last season, all ended the season with injuries.

And then the BIG Gorilla in the room, I'd ask him, "Why wasn't the TE position addressed at all ?" Especially when the team needs receiving TE's desperately. It's so obvious our offense is elite when Gronkowski is in there, but when he's not, the offense suffers.

I didn't see ANY reporter ask these questions, and they are viable concerns. I know BB would come back with the usual "I picked the players I thought would make our team better", but I wouldn't sit there and nod my head and say, "oh". I'd come back and say, "That answer doesn't answer the specific questions". Why are reporters so afraid of Belichick, or are they not intelligent enough to ask these question ?

I'm not sure what you are looking for.
Would you like Belichick to ramble on about the internal workings of the organization so that the other 31 teams can hear all of his thoughts and take them into consideration?
Is not maintaining the competitive advantage, however slight it is, of keeping the doors closed to the organizations thinking, its opinion on the teams, units, and players strengths and weaknesses to name a few things, worth it for you to satisfy your curiosity?

Translation:
"Are reporters afraid to act like they're smarter than Belichick?"

Yes, and they should be. You should too. I'm not saying the guy is infallible, but there's no reason for anybody to indirectly insult his abilities as a GM at a press conference. His job is to put the team in the best position possible to win a Super Bowl, and I think it's stupid to already assume that he failed.

WR wasn't a need, hence not taking one until the 7th round.

Not only did the receivers last year (despite a mix of inexperience & injury) put up more yards than the 2012 receivers, at least give them a year in the system to actually settle into it!

The lost production last season was at TE, McDaniels is likely going to be using more 3 WR sets unless one of Justin Jones, DJ Williams or Asa Watson show something in TC/pre-season. They lack of a TE being drafted can be put down to one thing: None of them were rated highly enough by the team to be selected at the positions the Patriots were at in the draft.

To finish off, Scott, are you just going to ignore the fact they addressed the needs at DT, OC, OG and the slight need at RB?

All kidding aside, none of you have concerns about our TE and WR position with the window closing on the Brady era ? Brady doesn't have the weapons other top QBs have, and our offense, though 5th best last year, looked dysfunctional many times last season, in fact our DEFENSE, before the injuries, carried our offense the first part of the season.

TE yes, WR no.

Dobson and Thompkins both played well once they got the dropsies out of the way.

Keep in mind that Dobson was injured on and off the entire year, thompkins was injured for the last half, and Amendola had a groin tear for 6+ games.

I expect MVP like year for brady with the WR we had last year.now if gronk can stay on the field this offense is MORE then capable of winning the superbowl.

TE yes, WR no.

Dobson and Thompkins both played well once they got the dropsies out of the way.

Keep in mind that Dobson was injured on and off the entire year, thompkins was injured for the last half, and Amendola had a groin tear for 6+ games.

I expect MVP like year for brady with the WR we had last year.now if gronk can stay on the field this offense is MORE then capable of winning the superbowl.
That's the problem. Gronk hasn't shown that he's capable of staying on the field. He's literally been injured every season since his rookie year and there's no reason to expect that to change. After him, the team has probably the worst TE corps in the entire league. Hopefully they give Keller a look or Jones surprises.

Of course we do!

And, after 14+ years we all know that a media person asking Belichick about this will yield exactly zilch in response. So why be George Foreman and waste all your energy on the Ali Rope-a-Dope?

One may as well ask him whether he is excited about a touchdown dance. He is who he is. Doesn't mean he is right. Just means it is a waste of time to ask him.

Every team in the league has holes in the roster but I would argue that Belichick went out and addressed the most important ones quite well this offseason. They're deep and good at receiver, yes TE is thin but when you're deep at receiver and have a fullback you can mitigate a lot of it. Plus, a lot of people seem to forget that the murderer was really just a big receiver that moved like a back and in the height of the 2-TE offense's efficacy they really only had one true tight end. Is Gronk a LT level impact player when he's on the field? Of course, but offenses can morph with personnel and remain effective enough.

I think most informed observers see three glaring weaknesses that needed addressing; 1) interior OL (specifically center), 2) red zone offense, and 3) defensive backfield. OL was addressed through the draft and a healthy returning Vollmer allowing Cannon to kick inside if needed. LaFell was signed specifically to be a red zone player and if on the field simultaneously with Gronk and the stable of agile slot guys red zone passing efficiency will skyrocket. They signed Darelle Revis. Again, they. Signed. Darelle. Revis.

Consider for a moment the roster that made the AFC championship game. Then add to that all the players that were IR'd. Then consider how improved the three rookie studs that team had will be. Then add Brandon Browner, Darelle Revis, Dominique Easley, and Brandon LaFell. That is, by definition, a damn juggernaut.

That's the problem. Gronk hasn't shown that he's capable of staying on the field. He's literally been injured every season since his rookie year and there's no reason to expect that to change.

Weird I remember him playing 35 straight games without injury before Pollard landed on his ankle. Taking it even further it was 46 games before he broke his arm and that whole mess started.

People really need to wrap their heads around just how good this roster is. It is everybit as good on paper as 04.

Weird I remember him playing 35 straight games without injury before Pollard landed on his ankle. Taking it even further it was 46 games before he broke his arm and that whole mess started.
The Pollard injury occurred during the 2011 season. Hence my point that he's literally been injured in every season since his rookie season.

I think reporters do ask those questions. But BB doesn't delve too far into the answers (i.e. what's best for the team, best fit, good players available, etc.).

And I am not concerned about WR this year but am about TE. After Gronk, as Kontra said, the depth is terrible. Maybe they'll sign someone or one of the young guys will show something during TC.

No offense, this is an "I'm pissed the Pats didn't draft a WR or TE" thread disguised as a "Are the media afraid of Belichick" thread.

First, I think the media know that most questions are going to get blown off by Belichick with some snark, boilerplate answer. But many of them still ask it anyway. Albert Breer gets into it with Belichick a lot.

Second, I don't think WR was an area of need in the draft. They drafted two WRs last year, picked up an UDFA who contributed last year, and signed LaFell. The Pats are going to have trouble keeping all the WRs they have now on the roster.

Third, this TE class sucked overall. Not one TE in this draft is considered a guaranteed solid starter (or as much as a draft pick can be). After the first two or three TEs on the board, the drop off was exponential. I would rather gamble on Keller or Finley returning to close to 100% than have used a third rounder on any the TEs on the board.

The Pollard injury occurred during the 2011 season. Hence my point that he's literally been injured in every season since his rookie season.

And yet my point is he literally played 2 full seasons before he got injured and 2 and a half before injury made him miss a game.

WR wasn't a need, hence not taking one until the 7th round.

Not only did the receivers last year (despite a mix of inexperience & injury) put up more yards than the 2012 receivers, at least give them a year in the system to actually settle into it!

The lost production last season was at TE, McDaniels is likely going to be using more 3 WR sets unless one of Justin Jones, DJ Williams or Asa Watson show something in TC/pre-season. They lack of a TE being drafted can be put down to one thing: None of them were rated highly enough by the team to be selected at the positions the Patriots were at in the draft.

To finish off, Scott, are you just going to ignore the fact they addressed the needs at DT, OC, OG and the slight need at RB?
I've been on record as stating I liked those picks, therefore no need to mention that. I've also been on record stating I did not like the Easley and Garoppolo picks, not that I dislike the players, just didn't like where we picked them.

Not stating I know any better than BB, he's forgotten more football then I'll ever know, he's a GREAT coach, with mixed results as a GM (drafting and some FA signings). One thing I CAN'T argue with, is yearly results, the Pats are probably the winningest franchise over the last 14 years. The picks of Easley and Garoppolo say to me, he's got an eye on winning in the future, not as much about winning right now (Championships at least). The window is closing, and I just want Brady to have a fair chance in fights against other teams who give their QBs proven weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call