PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are reporters afraid to ask Belichick the tough questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense, this is an "I'm pissed the Pats didn't draft a WR or TE" thread disguised as a "Are the media afraid of Belichick" thread.

First, I think the media know that most questions are going to get blown off by Belichick with some snark, boilerplate answer. But many of them still ask it anyway. Albert Breer gets into it with Belichick a lot.

Second, I don't think WR was an area of need in the draft. They drafted two WRs last year, picked up an UDFA who contributed last year, and signed LaFell. The Pats are going to have trouble keeping all the WRs they have now on the roster.

Third, this TE class sucked overall. Not one TE in this draft is considered a guaranteed solid starter (or as much as a draft pick can be). After the first two or three TEs on the board, the drop off was exponential. I would rather gamble on Keller or Finley returning to close to 100% than have used a third rounder on any the TEs on the board.

Yeah I'm pissed about that fact, and if I had journalistic credentials up in Boston, I would ask the questions I mentioned. Unfortunately I didn't take that career path. And I wouldn't ask in an insulting way, just an inquisitive way. His answer wouldn't have to give away Patriot secrets or anything. Also, saying the TE class sucked overall isn't entirely factual. There are some very good TEs that will be successful in the NFL, some that are exactly what this team needed, and would have been good insurance for Gronk.

As far as th WRs, Dobson would have been a 5th round pick, and Boyce would have ben a 7th round pick or UFA in THIS particular draft. Meaning there are so many WRs that were available that would have been an upgrade for our team in that position. If Dobson (whom I'm a huge fan of) and Boyce become better than any receiver picked in the top 4 rounds from this draft, I will eat crow. But I doubt it, unfortunately the fact that one of the geatest WR draft classes ever was completely ignored.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet my point is he literally played 2 full seasons before he got injured and 2 and a half before injury made him miss a game.
No, he didn't. The playoffs are a part of the 2011 season. So, basically, you're splitting hairs in an attempt to try to prove that Gronk hasn't gotten injured with relative regularity.

The Pollard injury occurred during the 2011 season. Hence my point that he's literally been injured in every season since his rookie season.

It was in the AFC Championship Game of his second seasons. And he didn't miss a game even if he was very gimpy in the Super Bowl. So technically you are right, but he did get through the entire 2011 regular season and most of the playoffs without injury. He missed his first game due to injuries though in 2012.

It was in the AFC Championship Game of his second seasons. And he didn't miss a game even if he was very gimpy in the Super Bowl. So technically you are right, but he did get through the entire 2011 regular season and most of the playoffs without injury. He missed his first game due to injuries though in 2012.
Not technically right. I am right. The playoffs are a part of the 2011 season and when he got injured is irrelevant to my OP. The kid has gotten injured in every season since his rookie one. It sucks and it has helped cost us possibly two Super Bowl titles on top of three appearances (I think the Seahawks would have beaten us soundly even with a healthy Gronk... they were rolling) but it's happened. Hopefully this year bucks that trend but the team can't count on that which is why I would love to see them add some quality depth to the position instead of just bodies.

Yeah I'm pissed about that fact, and if I had journalistic credentials up in Boston, I would ask the questions I mentioned. Unfortunately I didn't take that career path. And I wouldn't ask in an insulting way, just an inquisitive way. His answer wouldn't have to give away Patriot secrets or anything. Also, saying the TE class sucked overall isn't entirely factual. There are some very good TEs that will be successful in the NFL, some that are exactly what this team needed, and would have been good insurance for Gronk.

As far as th WRs, Dobson would have been a 5th round pick, and Boyce would have ben a 7th round pick or UFA in THIS particular draft. Meaning there are so many WRs that were available that would have been an upgrade for our team in that position. If Dobson (whom I'm a huge fan of) and Boyce become better than any receiver picked in the top 4 rounds from this draft, I will eat crow. But I doubt it, unfortunately the fact that one of the geatest WR draft classes ever was completely ignored.

I disagree of where Dobson would have been drafted. He could have easily been a second or third round pick this season. There were more first round talent this year and a deeper draft class, but the quality of the second and third round guys were about the same as last year.

But if you are a big fan of Dobson and think he can be a solid starter, why is WR a big need? They will have at least two solid starters when paired with Edelman. And Amendola, LaFell, and others are solid 3-5 WRs. Just because the WR class is deep?

Not technically right. I am right. The playoffs are a part of the 2011 season and when he got injured is irrelevant to my OP. The kid has gotten injured in every season since his rookie one. It sucks and it has helped cost us possibly two Super Bowl titles on top of three appearances (I think the Seahawks would have beaten us soundly even with a healthy Gronk... they were rolling) but it's happened. Hopefully this year bucks that trend but the team can't count on that which is why I would love to see them add some quality depth to the position instead of just bodies.

He missed his first game in his third year. Players play injured all the time. Maybe Gronk would have missed time if he sprained his ankle mid-season, but he didn't miss any time.

He's not going to say why he didn't pick someone, so that's a waste of time. He does say why he picked players, every one, every year.

If he felt the need to get a lot of low picks, UDFA because he needs to balance salaried, he's not going to say that either. No coach is, though it's a fact of life on any well managed team.

If he thinks the TE crop was overrated, he's not going to say that either.

The fact that they are giving tryouts for veteran TEs is a message that they are not sleeping at the position, the fact is that in the draft they didn't want or couldn't draft a TE, they may have passed on everyone on their board range or couldn't draft because of a lot ot teams reaching for TE's in the early 2nd round and even 3rd. CJF was a surprise at the top of 3rd round.

If ASJ or Amaro were available at #62 it would be for sure an excellent value at that spot and BB may have not ignored them.

I didn't like the Garopolo pick, but at #62 a lot of offensive talent was gone.

No, he didn't. The playoffs are a part of the 2011 season. So, basically, you're splitting hairs in an attempt to try to prove that Gronk hasn't gotten injured with relative regularity.
He missed no games that year. By your standard every player in the NFL is injured every season, except Jake Bequette.

This is simply ridiculous.

The fact that they are giving tryouts for veteran TEs is a message that they are not sleeping at the position, the fact is that in the draft they didn't want or couldn't draft a TE, they may have passed on everyone on their board range or couldn't draft because of a lot ot teams reaching for TE's in the early 2nd round and even 3rd. CJF was a surprise at the top of 3rd round.

If ASJ or Amaro were available at #62 it would be for sure an excellent value at that spot and BB may have not ignored them.

I didn't like the Garopolo pick, but at #62 a lot of offensive talent was gone.

Hard to say what he thought of those two, but not enough to miss a chance at an impact penetrator who was a top 15 without injury concerns (they say). So, they liked a QB of the future over a possibly mediocre TE in CJ. There might not be three standout tight ends in this draft. Lots of backups in the NFL looked like world beaters in college.

Translation:
"Are reporters afraid to act like they're smarter than Belichick?"

Yes, and they should be. You should too. I'm not saying the guy is infallible, but there's no reason for anybody to indirectly insult his abilities as a GM at a press conference. His job is to put the team in the best position possible to win a Super Bowl, and I think it's stupid to already assume that he failed.
His success probably has a lot to do with it, but he also is infinitely more likely to make them look stupid with the question than they are to make him look stupid with the answer.

Yes they are, because BB is more knowledgable. He'll embarass them if it's a stupid question.

Yes they are, because BB is more knowledgable. He'll embarass them if it's a stupid question.
And how in the world were my questions stupid ? You're all happy with not addressing the TE position and not taking a chance on a possible impact receivr ? You're all happy with the weapons Brady has now ? You're all confident our TE position is ok if Gronk gets reinjured ? You're all ok using a first round pick on a guy who has had major surgery on both knees before he's even played an NFL game ?

People really need to wrap their heads around just how good this roster is. It is everybit as good on paper as 04.

Terrific comparison, actually. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_New_England_Patriots_season

Coaching staff is an interesting comparison, too: Scarnecchia was the best, but you had Romeo Crennell vs Matt Patricia, and Charlie Weis vs. Josh McDaniels who was quarterbacks coach in 2004.

This 2014 team is better at WR, the running back group except for Corey Dillon, who none of the current guys can pretend to be, TE, offensive line overall is better now except for Dan Koppen at center.

The secondary is just wild to compare: 2004 Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Rodney Harrison, Terrell Buckley, Tyrone Poole compared to Darelle Revis, Alphonso Dennard, Devin McCourty, Brandon Browner and Kyle Arrington. Wow. The 2004 team was better at safety, but that was an amazing secondary, as is this one.

The defensive line was better in '04: Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Marquise Hill and rookie Vince Wilfork vs. old Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich. If Easley, Siliga and Armstead are difference makers, this group could be as good.

Linebacker was deeper in '04 but it's a toss-up among the starters. This group is bigger and maybe faster. If Roosevelt Colvin had been able to play in 2004, that group would have been incredible

And how in the world were my questions stupid ? You're all happy with not addressing the TE position and not taking a chance on a possible impact receivr ? You're all happy with the weapons Brady has now ? You're all confident our TE position is ok if Gronk gets reinjured ? You're all ok using a first round pick on a guy who has had major surgery on both knees before he's even played an NFL game ?
They're not necessarily stupid questions to think about yourself or discuss with other people. They're stupid questions to expect Belichick to answer, and it's a stupid idea to say that you'd keep pressing him for an answer after he doesn't give one initially. That's when you get a death state and an "I don't have anything else to say on that." It doesn't matter if you want information. Belichick isn't going to give you any if he doesn't want to. There's nothing any reporter can do about it.

They're not necessarily stupid questions to think about yourself or discuss with other people. They're stupid questions to expect Belichick to answer, and it's a stupid idea to say that you'd keep pressing him for an answer after he doesn't give one initially. That's when you get a death state and an "I don't have anything else to say on that." It doesn't matter if you want information. Belichick isn't going to give you any if he doesn't want to. There's nothing any reporter can do about it.
That would itself be an ok scenario. At least it would make people talk about the issues brought up.

The questions you pose are good ones and legitimate. Belichick has stonewalled worse questions for decades. Reporters can ask whatever they want and get the true zen master's silent treatment.

As to the original question about reporters being afraid? Yes, they are.

My favorite moments from the defunct Big Show on weei was the Monday show when Glenn Ordway would babble, bow and scrape when asking Belichick a question. Belichick would invariably respond with "Well, Glen, we just try to do whetever will give us the best chance to win the game," while thinking, "Why does my agent force me to spend time with this gelatinous invertebrate?" Then, Fred Smerlas, whose face is like a Salvador Dali painting from actually playing the game, would ask, "Coach, what were you thinking when you called for a pass on 4th and 2?" and Belichick would give an honest response with some references to other similar situations in games from the stone age.

Right behind drafting people that no one would pick at their slot, Belichick's favorite thing is to crush reporters who've never been there.

That would itself be an ok scenario. At least it would make people talk about the issues brought up.
There's more to bring a member of the media than showing up, asking tough questions, and then calling it a day. One key factor of real success in the media is connections. As an example, one reporter accidentally outed Caserio as an anonymous team source in an article. If you tick off Belichick enough, you can bet he's directing Caserio to never give you an inside tip again. Unless he chooses to talk to you anyway (like one Jets coach in that circus in recent history), then you just lost a team source. That's an extreme example, but so are the questions you want to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back