PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else think the media is being overly harsh towards Peyton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an impressive post on a message board, because it's fairly objective.

This is the nature of the biz, though. The media loves a story, and most of what you wrote doesn't sell. They want the GOAT, the loser, the hero, the tragic figure. As many have said, Manning is the beneficiary when the times are good, so it's not unjust that he gets the flip side of that when it's bad.

It's all just media hype though, any way you slice it. Elway was the king of "choking," until he wasn't. Manning will be known for the INT for awhile, and it may define his legacy if he doesn't make it back to the SB; if he does make it back, and wins, all you'll read about is "GOAT" again.

I hate all the GOAT talk; it's overplayed, and it's impossible to compare eras. If I had to cast a vote, it would be for Montana, simply because he was cool as can be. But it's all just speculation, and always will be. About 100 things have to go right to win a SB, and you still need luck even if you get all of 'em....

I'm less concerned about the extreme levels of Peyton-bashing than I am leery of our newfound "friends" in the media.

All the headlines like:

"Manning stepping into spotlight as greatest QB in the league"
"Brady taking a step back behind Manning"

are now turning into:

"Brady still the best; Manning not ready to join club of greatest"

etc.

So quite frankly, I'd rather not be noticed by the media at all if at all possible. Nothing good can come of it!

The medioticy- it's either tear Manning down or admit they are clueless.

Does anyone really think the clowns at ESPN are going to admit they are clueless?

The simple fact is the Saints are a better team and Brees has been the real "MVP" the past two seasons.

The media overreacted to two post season wins at home against horrendous 9-7 teams with rookie and second year QB's

They should have noted the Pats dominated the Colts and lost due to horrendous calls while the Pats were blown out in New Orleans.

I watched the game and thought he played well but made a mistake playing on the lesser team.

This is an impressive post on a message board, because it's fairly objective.

I agree. In another thread when I stated that Manning was having a great game up until the pick, I was attacked from every which direction and somebody asked me if I was Jay Mariotti :rolleyes:

But you're right this is the life of a QB. All the glory and all the blame. I think Manning is a great QB but until he puts together a complete, impressive postseason this choker label is going to stick with him.

Regardless of his numbers, he threw a game sealing pick six in the Super Bowl. In terms of the situation, he choked. He deserves the criticism. He gets all the praise all year long, even when he doesn't deserve it. He should be able to take criticism when he did in fact hurt his team.

you're joking, right?

I mean, Manning was 9-8 in playoff games and mediots universally were GOATing him. Irsay says before the game he would make Manning the highest paid NFL player ever!

Tell me this is a joke...please...

Manning choked. He was behind 14 and he choked. You think he makes that throw if he's up 14? He was under pressure to score quickly and he spit the bit; his brain shortcircuited on input overload.

Later in his presser he took no responsibility for the poor throw. He would rather throw Wayne under the bus.

This has to be a freakin joke, huh?

He is who we thought he was! Manning reverted to being Manning. From his days at Tennessee... omg! I don't get your humor if you're joking!

Manning Face deserves all the crap he has gotten and more. To top it off, Polyin comes out today and throws his OL under the bus to save Manning Face.

You know what? There isn't a script that any Pats fan could possibly write that would top what happened to Manning and the Colts in the SB. And that's no joke!

I agree. In another thread when I stated that Manning was having a great game up until the pick, I was attacked from every which direction and somebody asked me if I was Jay Mariotti :rolleyes:

Well, are you?
(jk):)

I agree with the OP.

The media is a bunch of freakin' idiots. They overhyped him before and blamed everything on him after. How about blaming Mr. Kendra for losing a ball that went right into his arms? Or a D that allowed a record number of completions?

All the media care about is selling stories, so they hype everything up. The media made half the country hate the Pats by overhyping the GQ side of Brady, and fabricating the whole "run up the score" thing, and making a fairly minor rules breach into some evil thing called Spygate that we'll still hear about 20 years from now, and will forever label the Pats as the Cheaters and *Asterisks.

Manning isn't the problem. He had an OK game when he needed to be a hero and he failed. He's still one of the greatest and a first round HOF just like Tom. It's the media that's the real enemy. If you're OK when they call Manning a Choker you can't complain when they call the Pats Cheaters.

you're joking, right?

I mean, Manning was 9-8 in playoff games and mediots universally were GOATing him. Irsay says before the game he would make Manning the highest paid NFL player ever!

Tell me this is a joke...please...

Manning choked. He was behind 14 and he choked. You think he makes that throw if he's up 14? He was under pressure to score quickly and he spit the bit; his brain shortcircuited on input overload.

Later in his presser he took no responsibility for the poor throw. He would rather throw Wayne under the bus.

This has to be a freakin joke, huh?

He is who we thought he was! Manning reverted to being Manning. From his days at Tennessee... omg! I don't get your humor if you're joking!

Manning Face deserves all the crap he has gotten and more. To top it off, Polyin comes out today and throws his OL under the bus to save Manning Face.

You know what? There isn't a script that any Pats fan could possibly write that would top what happened to Manning and the Colts in the SB. And that's no joke!
This is the general problem I find with Peyton Manning. If he were able to put it on his shoulders and take the blame for the countless choke jobs he's done of the years, I think people would find it easier to warm to him.

[/B]

You guys have "under the bus" on the brain when it comes to Manning.

Yes - eons ago, he should not have blamed his O-line.

But he said absolutely nothing that "threw Wayne under the bus." He said Porter made a great play; that's all.

Comparing QBs based solely on a few regular/post season stats is completely pointless in my opinion. Yes Manning is 9-9 is the post season. But of all the elite, HOF QBs I would rank the TEAM that Manning plays on as consistently the worst of them. Ever wonder why MVPs never win the super bowl? If you're playing on a level that is that much higher than the rest of your team to make you invaluable to them, it means your team probably just isn't that good. By the time the post season comes around, YOU are the main focus of the opponent's gameplanning. They have a whole season's worth of footage to study by now, and focusing on shutting you down severely cripples the team. Honestly, do you think the Saints opted for the riskiest play imaginable for any other reason than to keep the ball away from Peyton?

So I admit it - the Colts, as a team, aren't very good. Terribly one dimensional O, the D perennially sucks, and ST are a joke. This is going to happen to us every year until Polian figures it out.

Btw, I understand the media hate for all the Manning ballwashing, but saying now that Peyton "deserves" to be crucified because of what THEY said makes zero sense. If anything you're just letting your emotions be influenced by their drivel, which is exactly what they want. I have nothing but respect for Tom Brady and the Patriots as a team and no amount of media idiocy will change that

Last edited:
Comparing QBs based solely on a few regular/post season stats is completely pointless in my opinion. Yes Manning is 9-9 is the post season. But of all the elite, HOF QBs I would rank the TEAM that Manning plays on as consistently the worst of them. Ever wonder why MVPs never win the super bowl? If you're playing on a level that is that much higher than the rest of your team to make you invaluable to them, it means your team probably just isn't that good.

So I admit it - the Colts, as a team, aren't very good.
QUOTE]

LOL. You're kidding, right? I agree that Peyton is what makes you guys tick, but, man for man, the Colts have been consistently at or near the top of the heap (talent-wise)for, oh, about a decade now. WTF? To blame Peyton's lack of rings on the teams he's played on is friggin priceless dude!!! :p

man for man, the Colts have been consistently at or near the top of the heap (talent-wise)for, oh, about a decade now. WTF?

if you're talking about our passing game, yes. We have always had a great pass blocking o-line and phenomenal receivers (and Peyton, of course.) Offense is still one dimensional. The only person worth mentioning on D is Freeney as Sanders might as well not even be on the team (he's played in somewhere around 50% of all games during his career). I'm sure I don't need to explain special teams.. atrocious. It's a good day if Peyton gets to start a drive at the 21, lol

Trust me, I am a die hard Pats fan, but I actually think the media is being overly harsh on Peyton Manning.

I've been hearing "Peyton choked". Instead, the way I view it is "the defense rose to the occasion."

Over all, Peyton Manning had a good game (300+ yards and a touchdown). The game will be remembered for the back breaking interception, but it was not a bone headed play. It was just good defense.

Even with the loss, Peyton Manning is STILL every bit as good as he was going into the game, and deserved his fourth MVP.

Yes, I do understand that having a two Super Bowl Championships certainly upgrades' a players' status in terms of being ranked among the all time great. I don't think, however, that yesterday's performance should DOWNGRADE him in any way though, which is what most media types are doing.

The Boston Globe described Manning's pick six as being a Favre-esque throw. I think a Favre-esque throw could be described as an ill advised throw. I would not describe Manning's throw in that manner. The blitz was on, Manning went to his hot read, but the Saints defense was able to read the play.

He played a solid game, and regardless of how good he and Drew Brees are, one of them had to lose.

Definitely not. Anyone else sick of seeing Peyton in every commerical break in every NFL game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST