PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else getting tired of Mike Reiss' opion-less writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to read Reiss' blog EVERY day, but the guy seriously has no opinion on anything. He's great for telling you the facts, and getting it to you before most, but he never takes a stand. He plays both sides of arguments so he never loses. I get pissed at guys like Mike Felger often, because someone like him often makes an un-educated opinion of something. But hey, at least it's an opinion.

if I ever want more idiots babbling their opinions I'll watch the View.

let the reporters stick to reporting.

Yeah seriously, what's with this objective, unbiased reporting business? How lame is that? I DEMAND to have my opinions spoon-fed to me, goddammit.

Last edited:
No problem w/ Reiss here. He's a decent journalist. He may come across as a little meek but since his job is reporting the facts, he's doing an outstanding job.

Hmm and hear I thought it was a reporters job to report the news. Never liked opinion pieces.

I can form my own opinions based on fact thank you very much.

I think we get enough opinions from the media as is You know the old saying opinions are like *******s everyones got one and the media has two. OK maybe I made that last part up but I think I should make a bumper sticker out of it.

as long as he keeps breaking the news prombtly and accurately he will still be top dog around here.

Nobody reports Pats news better than Mike Reiss...he sets the bar really high for how reporters should follow a team.

We have way way too many talking heads within poison ink pens in this town. Felger, Maz, nancypoodleheadshankessey - they all bite.

I'll take the news thank you

I used to read Reiss' blog EVERY day, but the guy seriously has no opinion on anything. He's great for telling you the facts, and getting it to you before most, but he never takes a stand. He plays both sides of arguments so he never loses. I get pissed at guys like Mike Felger often, because someone like him often makes an un-educated opinion of something. But hey, at least it's an opinion. Me and a coworker have a running joke about Reiss that if he went into a restaurant and was asked "soup or salad?" this would be his response: "well, it is slightly cold out so the soup could soothe my throat, however I did just have soup last night so the salad might give me a little something different..I'll have to defer to Mrs. Reiss on this one as I don't have enough information to back a decision."

You've probably heard this one, but here goes anyways just in case you haven't....Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one.

I hope Reiss doesn't change a thing. Reading his blog is as much a part of my morning ritual as drinking coffee and taking a dump.

I used to read Reiss' blog EVERY day, but the guy seriously has no opinion on anything. He's great for telling you the facts, and getting it to you before most, but he never takes a stand. He plays both sides of arguments so he never loses.

That's what a reporter is supposed to do.

Seriously, what's the point you're trying to make?

Last edited:
I appreciate fact-based reporting. I'm more-than-capable of forming my own ridiculous opinions.

I've noticed....:bricks:

I guess you don't read his mailbag or participate in his weekly chat because he will give his opinion if asked. Also between him, the boys at pfw, and signbradysbaby they shared great insight on what was happening at training camp last year. Early into training camp he guessed right that edelman was a gem and would be on the roster. If that is not an opinion then I don't know what one is.

by the way, if you guys are sick of the opinionated idiots on am radio you should check out sirius - nfl (ch 124)
you can stream it free online.

after skimming through this thread, I think its pretty clear that we like our Mike Reiss JUST the way he is, thank you. :D

He regularly gives his opinion of the final roster makeup, depth chart, likely cuts;

today he projected the opening day defensive starters;

people are always asking him about guys making position changes such as every week hearing a suggestion that Guyton play OLB, a Reiss consistently replies politely that Guyton isn't big enough and stong enough to play there in a 3-4 but might in a 4-3, and today offerered that Haynesworth is a fit only in a 4-3.

I don't see an issue

Hands down, Reiss has offered more insights than any writers in town. Why does he need to take a position or feed you his opinions? Any 5th grade teacher can teach you how to reach a conclusion from facts.

He's always been like this. You'd think after him going to ESPN that he'd offer more of an opinion, but that isn't the case. Maybe he just doesn't care to give an opinion and likes to just report what he hears.

Last edited:
You've probably heard this one, but here goes anyways just in case you haven't....Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one.

I hope Reiss doesn't change a thing. Reading his blog is as much a part of my morning ritual as drinking coffee and taking a dump.

Same here, then I use Shankessey's column to wipe my ass, thats all its good for.

Nah, I find him refreshing. I'd rather just know the facts than have to wade through lots of opinion. I can get that everywhere else.

I used to read Reiss' blog EVERY day, but the guy seriously has no opinion on anything. He's great for telling you the facts, and getting it to you before most, but he never takes a stand. He plays both sides of arguments so he never loses. I get pissed at guys like Mike Felger often, because someone like him often makes an un-educated opinion of something. But hey, at least it's an opinion. Me and a coworker have a running joke about Reiss that if he went into a restaurant and was asked "soup or salad?" this would be his response: "well, it is slightly cold out so the soup could soothe my throat, however I did just have soup last night so the salad might give me a little something different..I'll have to defer to Mrs. Reiss on this one as I don't have enough information to back a decision."

The Pats stink, they don't know how to draft, their coach cheats, and they don't pay.

Saved you reading the major opinion writers.

Opinions are easy to generate. Facts are much more work, so plaudits to Mr. Reiss on that. The most challenging of all, though -- and the rarest to find in sportswriting -- are insights.

Perhaps that's what the OP is really wishing for? Insights that broaden our understanding of the game, the league, and its players and coaches?

But given the choice between insight-free opinions and insight-free facts, I'll gladly take the latter (and create the former myself. :))

Yeah.... what he said!

I think Reiss better understands than most anyone in the Boston media the enduring value of "print" reporting in an internet world. Opinions are now cheap and plentiful and continuously available 24x7. While there are low quality contributions to boards like this one, they are instantly, ruthlessly, and entertainingly countered by responses of amazingly high collective value. The professional opinion columnists seem increasingly unnecessary. I, for one, much regret Breer's recent axe-grinding descent into that very irrelevancy.

Mike Reiss understands that as a credentialed journalist he has privileged access to players, coaches, and other direct participants in the game we all follow. He both hears first hand things we'd like to know and has the unique opportunity to directly query everyone involved. He listens carefully to us, follows up on our behalf, relays breaking firsthand information, and will engage in thoughtful direct investigation when appropriate. He adds *far* more value than the opinion columnists, who are being rendered increasingly superfluous by all of you.

You can tell from his responses in his "mailbag" column both how carefully he listens to fan interests and how cautious he is about veering into opinionation. Objective reporting is not about not having opinions, it's about the effort to make sure your opinions color your reporting as little as possible. Mike clearly has opinions, but discloses them in a deliberately low key way so not to distract from the facts he discovers or uncovers.

In a way, Mike Reiss is running an experiment in new media reporting, an attempt to adapt the best of the old with the new. I, at least, think he's doing a great job and hope he continues the exploration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye