PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else getting tired of Mike Reiss' opion-less writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take a writer like Reiss over a loser like Gasper any day. Gasper writes strongly opinionated pieces while simultaneously displaying a lack of real insight, or sometimes while not even having the basics down. He looks foolish for trying to be a loudmouth.

A writer like Reiss gives you a sense that things aren't ONE WAY RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I SAY SO!!! As with almost everything in all of sports, we have to wait until they play the games to see who's conjecture was most accurate - I'd rather have a writer display his understanding of that and not pander to those who want hysterics and overreaction.

Also, Reiss does give opinions. IE he's said multiple times that he thinks the team's roster is ~97% complete. That's pretty interesting to people who are wondering what might come of the RFA signing date coming up.

I'm certainly not.
When he voices an opinion or makes a prediction it is usually wrong or so conditionally phrased as to be opaque.
Give me careful, but precise, Reiss over blustering Felger and the rest of the bloviating riders in the clown car any day.

I still don't fully understand the OP's need for Reiss to tell him how or what to think about the information he is giving us.

Reiss may be around the locker-room he may pick up some great little tid-bits - but he is about as close to getting in Belichicks head as the rest of us.

As I stated already, Reiss is reporting - he does offer some analysis, but you apparently need him to tell you the news...and then follow that up by telling you how to feel about it.

You are going to get some pretty inane questions from football fans - "Is Taylor Price going to be better than Brandon Tate" for example - its a fine question to pose as a forum discussion but it is essentially rhetorical at this point.

There is no definitive answer so why must you demand one?

Last edited:
"Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all."- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Why are we bashing one of the only great sports reporters left in Boston again?

I still don't fully understand the OP's need for Reiss to tell him how or what to think about the information he is giving us.

Reiss may be around the locker-room he may pick up some great little tid-bits - but he is about as close to getting in Belichicks head as the rest of us.

As I stated already, Reiss is reporting - he does offer some analysis, but you apparently need him to tell you the news...and then follow that up by telling you how to feel about it.

You are going to get some pretty inane questions from football fans - "Is Taylor Price going to be better than Brandon Tate" for example - its a fine question to pose as a forum discussion but it is essentially rhetorical at this point.

There is no definitive answer so why must you demand one?

Let me give you a hypothetical here: you claim to be an expert on pies. I come to you asking, what's the best pie in the world? You answer saying: apple pie is a favorite of most and very good, blueberry is also pretty good especially with ice cream, strawberry rubarb is another one that could be viewed as the best.

I'm not going to be happy with your answer. I came to you asking you a question, because you're paid to be a pie expert. You didn't answer my question with a definitive response. You basically just told me what I already knew.
This is exactly what Reiss does in his mailbag and chat.

He doesn't spout sh!t just to be controversial, therefore I dont mind him.

Let me give you a hypothetical here: you claim to be an expert on pies. I come to you asking, what's the best pie in the world? You answer saying: apple pie is a favorite of most and very good, blueberry is also pretty good especially with ice cream, strawberry rubarb is another one that could be viewed as the best.

I'm not going to be happy with your answer. I came to you asking you a question, because you're paid to be a pie expert. You didn't answer my question with a definitive response. You basically just told me what I already knew.

You seem to be really dedicated to flogging that dead horse. Reiss will not give a definite answer to anything he doesn't really know, but as I and the others have pointed out (and given examples) he DOES give opinions and straight answers when he knows them, and manages to be courteous at the same time.

There's only one or two posters actually doing that, including the OP.

Never said I didn't like him. Guys, he's literally the ONLY writer of anything that I read EVERY day. There's a reason for that. Having said that, I'd like for him to have more definitive answers when someone goes to him asking a question.

Nope. Reiss is the best and Chris Price is right there in line @ #2. Go to one of Reiss' chats, he'll share his "opion" with you, but back it up and never be outrageous.

Your hypothetical scenario is already wrong from the start when it comes to Reiss in my opinion (ahem) :) . Reiss doesn't claim to be an expert on football. The scenario should be that Reiss is there first and foremost to tell you what pies are on the menu. So his style of reporting in general would be something like, there's apple pie, blueberry, and strawberry rhubarb on the menu.

Your hypothetical scenario is already wrong from the start when it comes to Reiss in my opinion (ahem) :) . Reiss doesn't claim to be an expert on football. The scenario should be that Reiss is there first and foremost to tell you what pies are on the menu. So his style of reporting in general would be something like, there's apple pie, blueberry, and strawberry rhubarb on the menu.

And this is what I like about him, the blog entries that just state the facts. But why then does he have a mailbag and chat? If he's not there to have an opinion he shouldn't be asked questions.
Come on, I thought a fellow SMG alum would back me up lol

Agreed.

This was going to be my reply.

I haven't seen Reiss claim to be an 'expert' on football - it would be a foolish claim anyhow, most experts have spent time coaching and/or playing.

Reiss's expertise, if anything, is his ability to 'report' (thats probably where they get the term reporter from) information he receives or gains through investigation and pass it onto his readership in a way they can understand.

Again, i've still seen him offer fairly strong opinions, if you know how to read between the lines - another opinion of his is that Springs wasn't a locker-room cancer as many think, just that he didn't bring the positive vet presense that was expected of him.

He thinks we have pretty huge question marks at DE, that Guyton (despite playing such a huge % of snaps last year) is better suited as a situational ILB on passing downs and a back-up to Mayo.

Its all there, just don't expect it to be written with the CAPS LOCKED ON.

Last edited:
Agreed.

This was going to be my reply.

I haven't seen Reiss claim to be an 'expert' on football - it would be a foolish claim anyhow, most experts have spent time coaching and/or playing.

Reiss's expertise, if anything, is his ability to 'report' (thats probably where they get the term reporter from) information he receives or gains through investigation and pass it onto his readership in a way they can understand.

Again, i've still seen him offer fairly strong opinions, if you know how to read between the lines - another opinion of his is that Springs wasn't a locker-room cancer as many think, just that he didn't bring the positive vet presense that was expected of him.

He thinks we have pretty huge question marks at DE, that Guyton (despite playing such a huge % of snaps last year) is better suited as a situational ILB on passing downs and a back-up to Mayo.

Its all there, just don't expect it to be written with the CAPS LOCKED ON.

Well I feel as though someone should display passion when feeling strongly about something.

Don't want his opinion, just his reporting.

I think it was only 2 or 3 years ago he wrote his opinion of the Pats roster coming out of camp. It had them cutting almost no one and placing 20 guys on PUP, almost none of whom were eligible for it.

He's great at reporting the news. I hope he sticks to it. For analysis the Ron Jaworskis of the world are the place to look.

Don't want his opinion, just his reporting.

I think it was only 2 or 3 years ago he wrote his opinion of the Pats roster coming out of camp. It had them cutting almost no one and placing 20 guys on PUP, almost none of whom were eligible for it.

He's great at reporting the news. I hope he sticks to it. For analysis the Ron Jaworskis of the world are the place to look.

I can live with this answer, and appreciate your response.
It's one thing to say you don't think he's qualified to give an opinion, and a completely different thing to say you don't want anyone's opinion (which is basically what most are saying in here).
My only problem with this is that he is probably being paid lots of money to do something that you really don't need a lot of skill and knowledge to do.

And, this is where I come when I want an answer or opinion to a question. As you see I've had a few posts in my life, and have been here since the website turned over back in September of 04. However, I still read the guy because he has good information, never said he didn't. But, if you're going to have a mailbag and chat you'd better be ready to have an opinion. I don't have a problem with most of his blog entries, it's really just with the answers to his mailbag and chat questions.

Are the questions he's answering asking for his opinions? He could be just answering questions with facts which is fine with me. I'm not saying I don't enjoy reading opinionated writers but maybe he views his role as someone who reports what's going on and nothing more.

He strikes me as a mouthpiece of the Pats. He basically reports what he finds out from the Pats or from credible sources.

I can live with this answer, and appreciate your response.
It's one thing to say you don't think he's qualified to give an opinion, and a completely different thing to say you don't want anyone's opinion (which is basically what most are saying in here).
My only problem with this is that he is probably being paid lots of money to do something that you really don't need a lot of skill and knowledge to do.

I think many if not most fans don't want anyone's analysis or opinion unless it is positive.

I don't agree that reporting the news faster and more accurately than your competitors doesn't take skill or knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes