PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else getting tired of Mike Reiss' opion-less writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you don't read his mailbag or participate in his weekly chat because he will give his opinion if asked. .

Ummm, really?!?!?
I have to be at work in like 8 hours, so I'm not about to dig for examples, but in his mailbag he always does the: well I could see Spikes staring, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see McKenzie in that spot either, when asked: who will be starting opposite Mayo? Dude, make a decision and stick with it.

Okay, I never said I didn't like the guy for what he was, I'd just like for him to have an opinion ONCE IN A WHILE! I've met him, he's a great guy yes, and he does a great job, but seriously when someone asks you a question in your chat or mailbag just stick to one flippin answer and don't ride the darn fence! That's all I'm asking

Ummm, really?!?!?
I have to be at work in like 8 hours, so I'm not about to dig for examples, but in his mailbag he always does the: well I could see Spikes staring, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see McKenzie in that spot either, when asked: who will be starting opposite Mayo? Dude, make a decision and stick with it.

Okay, I never said I didn't like the guy for what he was, I'd just like for him to have an opinion ONCE IN A WHILE! I've met him, he's a great guy yes, and he does a great job, but seriously when someone asks you a question in your chat or mailbag just stick to one flippin answer and don't ride the darn fence! That's all I'm asking

But if everyone makes it through healthy, and when considering the Patriots kept eight linebackers on the opening day roster in 2009, this is what I see when I look into the Patriots' crystal ball:

Inside linebackers: Mayo, Guyton, McKenzie, Spikes
Outside linebackers: Banta-Cain, Cunningham, Burgess, Crable, Ninkovich, Woods/Murrell

That's part of the first answer to the first question in this week's mailbag.

On the outside, I think Banta-Cain is ideally suited for limited duty on early downs and instead should be utilized more in pure passing situations as a rusher, but he is probably a starter based on what else they have.

That's part of the 2nd answer to the 2nd question in the mailbag.

How's that?

Last edited:
Ummm, really?!?!?

Just from his last mailbag:

On the outside, I think Banta-Cain is ideally suited for limited duty on early downs and instead should be utilized more in pure passing situations as a rusher, but he is probably a starter based on what else they have.

I'm a bit higher on Light at left tackle than you are, and want to see more before I turn it over to Vollmer. I could see Vollmer at right tackle, however, really pushing Kaczur for that starting job.

New England Patriots mailbag: How will defense shake out - ESPN Boston

There are many more examples you can find by clicking the link, but that's two right there. I hope that helps ease your mind.

That's the first answer to the first question in this week's mailbag.

You ever see the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm last season where Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David are making fun of people that say "on the other hand"...well Reiss keeps that statement living

You ever see the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm last season where Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David are making fun of people that say "on the other hand"...well Reiss keeps that statement living

I'm afraid you speak for yourself. Nobody else seems to agree with your assessment of Reiss.

Am I missing something? Is there a lack of people who don't know what they're talking about and have no sources, but crow like they're experts and criticize people that know a hundred times more than they do?

Shall I list every writer on the Globe and Herald?

I like people that give both sides. It's called being thoughtful. If these writers knew for sure a tenth of what they say they do, they'd be snapped up to be a GM somewhere. Trouble is, the most experienced and opinionated of them come up with gems like this.
On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon. - Ron Borges, MSNBC after 2001 Draft.

The opinionated Borges continued his crack draft analysis, criticizing the Wilfork pick.
Certainly there were questions to be asked after the Patriots completed the first two rounds of the NFL Draft and came away with two defensive linemen and a tight end, apparently drafting under the theory that if you don't get it right the first time, just repeat yourself.

Perhaps that wasn't truly the case, but that's what they appeared to do in the first round when New England selected highly rated University of Miami defensive tackle Vince Wilfork and Georgia tight end Ben Watson with picks No. 21 and 32, respectively, thereby ignoring the two top-rated running backs, two of the top five cornerbacks, and two of the top half-dozen wide receivers to take players at positions in which they recently invested previous No. 1 picks.
\
Calls BB the Wizard sarcastically, because Borges obviously knows more about drafting.

Then leave the rest to the Wizard. In the last week, the Patriots have acquired troubled but talented running back Corey Dillon from the Cincinnati Bengals for a second-round pick (No. 56) despite long saying this is just the kind of fellow they want to avoid,

Nose job - The Boston Globe

The Pats stink, they don't know how to draft, their coach cheats, and they don't pay.

Saved you reading the major opinion writers.
Exactly :rofl:

I used to read Reiss' blog EVERY day, but the guy seriously has no opinion on anything. He's great for telling you the facts, and getting it to you before most, but he never takes a stand. He plays both sides of arguments so he never loses. I get pissed at guys like Mike Felger often, because someone like him often makes an un-educated opinion of something. But hey, at least it's an opinion. Me and a coworker have a running joke about Reiss that if he went into a restaurant and was asked "soup or salad?" this would be his response: "well, it is slightly cold out so the soup could soothe my throat, however I did just have soup last night so the salad might give me a little something different..I'll have to defer to Mrs. Reiss on this one as I don't have enough information to back a decision."

I get what your saying, but I always kind of thought he's just being careful not to tick anybody (player, coach etc.) off, so as to keep his access to the team. I bet anything that the Borges' of the world have a hard time getting the inside scoop. I'm not saying Reiss has great access yet, and I wish he had more, but maybe, just maybe he's trying not to burn bridges. Not sure. Just a thought.

I have an opinion-- this thread is asinine. :eek:

Originally Posted by patsfan55

I'm afraid you speak for yourself. Nobody else seems to agree with your assessment of Reiss.

"Nobody else"? Come on man, we all love Reiss, but he totally does do what PatsFan55 is saying. Let's be honest. Many of the responses I'm reading here are, 'yes, Reiss does that and we like it that way, we don't want opinions'. That's far different than saying it doesn't happen.

I used to read Reiss' blog EVERY day, but the guy seriously has no opinion on anything. He's great for telling you the facts, and getting it to you before most, but he never takes a stand. He plays both sides of arguments so he never loses. I get pissed at guys like Mike Felger often, because someone like him often makes an un-educated opinion of something. But hey, at least it's an opinion. Me and a coworker have a running joke about Reiss that if he went into a restaurant and was asked "soup or salad?" this would be his response: "well, it is slightly cold out so the soup could soothe my throat, however I did just have soup last night so the salad might give me a little something different..I'll have to defer to Mrs. Reiss on this one as I don't have enough information to back a decision."

Stick with Borges, you'll do fine with his opinions. ;)

I am tired of reporters telling me how to think. Reiss is a breath of fresh air

Don't have a problem of him just stating facts.

If you want opinions, come this website.

I get what your saying, but I always kind of thought he's just being careful not to tick anybody (player, coach etc.) off, so as to keep his access to the team. I bet anything that the Borges' of the world have a hard time getting the inside scoop. I'm not saying Reiss has great access yet, and I wish he had more, but maybe, just maybe he's trying not to burn bridges. Not sure. Just a thought.

I've thought this as well, it's known that BB loves Reiss. Guys, I'm not saying I want him to be Borges or Felger or any of those guys. All I'm saying is when someone asks him a question, it would be nice for him to actually have an opinion and answer the person's question.

Don't have a problem of him just stating facts.

If you want opinions, come this website.

And, this is where I come when I want an answer or opinion to a question. As you see I've had a few posts in my life, and have been here since the website turned over back in September of 04. However, I still read the guy because he has good information, never said he didn't. But, if you're going to have a mailbag and chat you'd better be ready to have an opinion. I don't have a problem with most of his blog entries, it's really just with the answers to his mailbag and chat questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News