PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else getting tired of Mike Reiss' opion-less writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think many if not most fans don't want anyone's analysis or opinion unless it is positive.

I don't agree that reporting the news faster and more accurately than your competitors doesn't take skill or knowledge.

If your first point is the case then that's kind of sad. Hearing other people's opinions is something that makes America great, freedom of speech you know. Hearing other people's viewpoints can make you realize something you otherwise wouldn't have and really expands your knowledge of a subject. I've come in here many a time having an opinion of something only to read someone else's argument of the alternative to realize they may be onto something.

As for the second part, yeah I was a bit harsh to say it takes no skill. But, it doesn't take much. So, he texts his sources faster than his competition. Not extremely impressed sorry.

I can live with this answer, and appreciate your response.
It's one thing to say you don't think he's qualified to give an opinion, and a completely different thing to say you don't want anyone's opinion (which is basically what most are saying in here).
My only problem with this is that he is probably being paid lots of money to do something that you really don't need a lot of skill and knowledge to do.

As has already been demonstrated, he does give his opinion. You're attempting to perpetuate a canard.

As has already been demonstrated, he does give his opinion. You're attempting to perpetuate a canard.

If you read him every day you'd know he RARELY gives a decisive opinion.

Another thing to consider is that his news is what usually gets snagged by guys like PFT or Schefter and passed around. His shrewd use of opinion is probably why he breaks Pats news at such high-speed. We need one ebat guy the Pats actually WANT hanging around...

If you read him every day you'd know he RARELY gives a decisive opinion.

I read him every day, or close enough to it to call it that. I have him set up with an RSS feed.

You're perpetuating a canard, and the fact that he does give his opinion has been demonstrated to you.

He is cautious with his opinions, but he does give them, even if they are unfavorable toward the Patriots. Maybe people don't notice becuase his criticisms are done politely and tactfully.

As an example, he has consistently said since the time it happened that letting Asante Samuel leave was a big mistake. There are other examples, but that one comes to mind.

People always ask him about "bad team chemistry" and who were the jerks in the locker room. He never answers that, because I don't think anyone not in the locker room would know for sure, other that that Adelius must have been one of them. He offers facts regularly, occasionally offers opinions, but seldom does he just take a wild guess at either a fact or an opinion.

Last edited:
I read him every day, or close enough to it to call it that. I have him set up with an RSS feed.

You're perpetuating a canard, and the fact that he does give his opinion has been demonstrated to you.

Michael Reiss can be found riding the fence in his most recent mailbag

Q: Hey Mike, I keep hearing people harp on BB for not drafting a running back in the past draft and I think people aren't seeing the big picture here. Has everyone forgotten that we have two first-round picks next year and if the Raiders do poorly again this year we have a good shot at Alabama running back Mark Ingram. My question is what are your views on what possible moves BB might make with those two picks? -- Logan (Hampton, Va.)

A: Logan, it's a long way away, but my first thought is a big defensive lineman or pass-rusher with those two first-round draft choices, although it wouldn't surprise me to see a running back like Ingram if he continues to ascend and is available when the Patriots pick.

Michael Reiss can be found riding the fence in his most recent mailbag

That example you gave was very poor. It's not riding the fence, it's simply being honest! Who's going to know what will happen next year?? :bricks:

That example you gave was very poor. It's not riding the fence, it's simply being honest! Who's going to know what will happen next year?? :bricks:

Okay, I'll admit, it wasn't the best example. I don't feel like digging through all his stuff right now. Sorry, I have work to do. Still he could have said: honestly I feel as though they will be looking more at an edge rusher if they do in fact have a top ten pick.

Okay, I'll admit, it wasn't the best example. I don't feel like digging through all his stuff right now. Sorry, I have work to do. Still he could have said: honestly I feel as though they will be looking more at an edge rusher if they do in fact have a top ten pick.

That seems like exactly what he said though he threw the guy a bone and said sure RB makes some sense but the prospect has to be huge to pass up on a more important position (need aside).

I haven't seen this much body part s*cking since Tim Mcarver with Derek Jeter

I haven't seen this much body part s*cking since Tim Mcarver with Derek Jeter

Well, you wrote an incorrect O.P., you've been shown to be wrong about it, and you still keep harping on the same erroneous claim. Why would you expect people not to defend the guy under those circumstances?

Hell, you're trying to use the lack of a definite answer about next year's draft as an example, for crying out loud.

I used to read Reiss' blog EVERY day, but the guy seriously has no opinion on anything. He's great for telling you the facts, and getting it to you before most, but he never takes a stand. He plays both sides of arguments so he never loses. I get pissed at guys like Mike Felger often, because someone like him often makes an un-educated opinion of something. But hey, at least it's an opinion. Me and a coworker have a running joke about Reiss that if he went into a restaurant and was asked "soup or salad?" this would be his response: "well, it is slightly cold out so the soup could soothe my throat, however I did just have soup last night so the salad might give me a little something different..I'll have to defer to Mrs. Reiss on this one as I don't have enough information to back a decision."

Absolutely not. I want to be presented with all of the information on a topic. Thats all. I don't want a writer to tell me how I should feel about the topic.

Well, you wrote an incorrect O.P., you've been shown to be wrong about it, and you still keep harping on the same erroneous claim. Why would you expect people not to defend the guy under those circumstances?

Hell, you're trying to use the lack of a definite answer about next year's draft as an example, for crying out loud.

If I really wanted to spend a couple hours looking over his stuff I could very easily find plenty of indecisiveness in his answers. I do not want to spend my time doing something like that. I know myself that he rides the fence all the time, I'm fine if you don't agree with me.

Journalism is an arm of communication by which journalists provide the public with information. Journalists have to do this truthfully, accurately and dispassionately about the world they're reporting on and bring that world closer to the public. The public for it's part has more info with which to come to logical conclusions with. Reiss has plenty of opinions but he doesn't have to in order to do his job perfectly.

Last edited:
If I really wanted to spend a couple hours looking over his stuff I could very easily find plenty of indecisiveness in his answers. I do not want to spend my time doing something like that. I know myself that he rides the fence all the time, I'm fine if you don't agree with me.

It's fine if you want to agree with yourself, or even talk to yourself, why involve everyone else?

You're arguing a moot point, and to call everyone else who disagree, a d**k-sucker, is pretty juvenile.

It's not about agreement. It's about you being flat-out wrong. "Plenty of indecisiveness" was not your original complaint. You complained that he never gave opinions. You were incorrect, as one glance at his latest mailbag served to demonstrate.

From your O.P.:

the guy seriously has no opinion on anything. He's great for telling you the facts, and getting it to you before most, but he never takes a stand. He plays both sides of arguments so he never loses.

And, AGAIN, from the mailbag, here are some of his opinions:

this is what I see when I look into the Patriots' crystal ball:

Inside linebackers: Mayo, Guyton, McKenzie, Spikes
Outside linebackers: Banta-Cain, Cunningham, Burgess, Crable, Ninkovich, Woods/Murrell

I think Banta-Cain is ideally suited for limited duty on early downs and instead should be utilized more in pure passing situations as a rusher,

I'm a bit higher on Light at left tackle than you are, and want to see more before I turn it over to Vollmer.

Carl, I don't see him being cut at this time.

He also gives his opinion on the opening day starting defense, whether or not Springs was a mistake, Pryor's first season and likely role this year, Brady moving west, etc...

Again, that's just one mailbag, and plenty of opinions.

Last edited:

You're willing to call out a highly-respected, professional sports writer in a thread who spends countless and tireless hours trying to report the facts, but don't want to spend a "couple" of hours to defend your position with some "facts" you swear exist.:rolleyes: Thanks for coming out, try again next year.

You're willing to call out a highly-respected, professional sports writer in a thread who spends countless and tireless hours trying to report the facts, but don't want to spend a "couple" of hours to defend your position with some "facts" you swear exist.:rolleyes: Thanks for coming out, try again next year.

Because that's his job. Are you really going to compare the amount of hours I have free to look up old comments by him to amount of hours he has to do his job. I've already said I really like the guy, but think he could be better if he just gave some more decisive answers in his chats and mailbags. Guys, I'm done, think what you want & I'll think what I want, but I don't have any more time for this.

Last edited:
How horrible of him, giving you two perspectives to make your own decision.
Yeah! Bring back Felger. he doesn't bother with stupid or boring facts. Just an opinon he treats like like a fact.

Seriously, Reiss has opinions. He gives them all the time. Read his mailbag. But he always gives facts or background as to why he thinks the way he does, and isn't given over to the hype-of-the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back