PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another QB gets benched

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the NFL doesn't want to invest in a minor league even though most college programs are running spread offenses now.

Invest? the NFL? lol.

Seriously, I look at Carson Palmer ads a QB who's had ups and downs and injuries. He had a learning year under Kitna and he's a top QB again. People agonized about Rodgers spending three years as a backup and were probably right, but who cares now? Brady impressed the coach enough in his learning year that he got unexpectedly tapped for the top job.

Peyton was an outlier, but he's the son of a pro.

Seems so obvious to me. Why would you take a chance on wrecking your greatest asset? Why not have the patience, and the balls, to tell your hotshot he needs to learn behind some jag veteran for a year? If you got the pick your team obviously has more holes than QB.

It's amazing the difference between quarterbacks who are ready and those who aren't.

Interesting article on Jim Plunkett. Won two Super bowls after being a backup for 2+ years.

Plunkett was No. 3 on the depth chart in 1978 and didn't play a snap. The next season, he threw 15 passes in four games.

Entering 1980, Plunkett was, with Stabler now gone, the clear backup to Dan Pastorini. And when an injury forced Plunkett into the starting role in Week 6, he never relinquished it.

5 for Friday: Jim Plunkett, two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback

Fairbanks wanted him to run the option? I can't believe that.

I'm surprised at the amount of piling on that takes place concerning Chip Kelly. He's been one of the most successful new NFL HCs that I can remember.
I'm not piling on Chip Kelly, I simply criticizing one stupid decision.

Invest? the NFL? lol.

Seriously, I look at Carson Palmer ads a QB who's had ups and downs and injuries. He had a learning year under Kitna and he's a top QB again. People agonized about Rodgers spending three years as a backup and were probably right, but who cares now? Brady impressed the coach enough in his learning year that he got unexpectedly tapped for the top job.

Peyton was an outlier, but he's the son of a pro.

Seems so obvious to me. Why would you take a chance on wrecking your greatest asset? Why not have the patience, and the balls, to tell your hotshot he needs to learn behind some jag veteran for a year? If you got the pick your team obviously has more holes than QB.

It's amazing the difference between quarterbacks who are ready and those who aren't.
I think part of the lack of patience is that Gm's are scared for their job. They need these guys to perform right away or else they are going to get fired, now thats a dumb thing to do but many of these bad teams are consistently dumb.

I'm not piling on Chip Kelly, I simply criticizing one stupid decision.

I should have been clearer. Yours was not the only post I've seen criticizing Kelly, and by the looks of it, you (and they) might be right and I could be wrong anyway.

I think part of the lack of patience is that Gm's are scared for their job. They need these guys to perform right away or else they are going to get fired, now thats a dumb thing to do but many of these bad teams are consistently dumb.

And spineless. Afraid to tell the bonus boy he'll sit, afraid tostand up to the fans for the good of the future. Trying to do things "right away" means never doing things right. Cleveland Browns, case in point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes