PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec. 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec.

Please tell me the end result of Chargers and Steelers games. Did the Patriots beat the Chargers and the Steelers or lose to the Chargers and Steelers?

They beat them of course.

Chargers held the Pats to 170 something yards of total offense but had 4 turnovers. Did you outplay the Chargers? Not even Tom Brady would answer 'yes' to that one. You found a way to get it done. That's all that matters.

With the Steelers you feasted on one of the lowest rated pass defenses in the league. The Jets are ranked 11th vs the Steelers 22. I was wrong about one thing...the Pats did run on the Steelers for 100+ yards. I've already admitted my omission on that fact.

Also, the Patriots defense does not match up well with the Jets offense and vice versa. But the Jets are a good defense and I think will match up better vs the Pats O than the Pats D vs the the Jets O.

Goodnight.

Re: An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec.

You might have a lot of success in distracting Rex Ryan by bringing up some of that great North Carolina barbeque.

I am a little concerned, though, that you might also reel in big Vince at the same time! ;)

I'm going to get one of those t-shirt cannons, fill it with BBQ sandwiches from Hog Heaven BBQ here in Durham, and shoot them at Rex Ryan's mouth the entire game to distract him.

You act like that's terrible. I don't think anyone has said that the Jets have a better offense than the Patriots (although they do have a higher YPG, but I'll leave that out of it). #10 is not as good as #1, but it's still very respectable, especially with a defense far superior to the Patriots to compliment them.

Good job rewriting the Patriots have scored more points in a different way.

Despite what ******ed radio talk show hosts say, the Lions kicker RETURNED TO THE GAME. They actually got a 3 point advantage by getting a TD instead of a FG, and then he returned. The missed PAT made people think that the TD would have been scored if not for the penalty. Missing your kicker for an extra point that wouldn't have even been available if not for the penalty does not compare at all to missing a starting QB and RB for the entire game.

Also, Shaun Hill is still a backup, he is not the #1 Overall pick Matt Stafford. Don't try and compare them to each other.

Jahvid Best was also missing from that game.

2/3 of the Lions most important offensive pieces were missing, including the starting QB.
I must have missed the impact Javid Best has made this season after his initial explosion onto the team.

1.) I'm not the one who made the claims. That was the O.P.. I simply disagreed with him. Why the hell should I be the one supplying proof? Hell, I've already corrected his mistake regarding the Steelers.

2.) AGAIN, you can't break down a line solely on statistics. We knew that Connolly wasn't getting the job done at LG because the Patriots were calling defenses that had both Light and Koppen doing extra duty in order to cover for Connolly. It also helped that Connolly got benched during a game. But, mostly, we knew because we watched him play. To be fair to you on this point, there were a whole lot of people here who were buying into the "Connolly's doing a really good job!" line up until he got benched, and some kept it up even after that.

3.) I've seen every Jets game this year, save one. I've watched Slauson play. He sucks. In an article from October 29, people where going to the kneepads for him, but he was admitting to problems, and the article points to what I'm saying:

Jets' Slauson goes from 'scared' to solid starter - WTVM.com and WTVM News Leader 9, Columbus, GA |

So, there's both him and the Jets noting his struggles, and noting that he was still getting bailouts at the end of October.

His struggles in November were being blamed on a knee/quad issue, but were even being acknowledged by Jets fans. Here's some stuff posted on/about November 23:

Now, if you have further issues, take it up with Slauson, the Jets and your fellow Jets fans. It's not my fault that Slauson sucks. It's the Jets fault that they cut Faneca before they had a ready replacement.
See, this is a more reasonable post. You worked at it and got right with it.

For my part, I've watched every Jets game and I'd prefer someone other than Slauson. But he hasn't been the glaring hole that the five minutes where he was highlighted on Hard Knocks might have suggested. And, if you think Alan Faneca would have been a great upgrade, I'd suggest that you didn't focus much on Alan Faneca last year. "Serviceable" is the word I'd choose for Matt Slauson right now. And, clearly, offensive statistics back that up; but, even there, the better statement would be to say that there's nothing to suggest there's an exploitable hole on that side of the line.

Also, I think the Jets probably expected more out of Vlad Ducasse. That point on the line is the weakest point and, adding to it, it has the poorest depth.

2) Danny's impact: Will Danny Woodhead and the Patriot running game have an impact in the game vs the Jets? The stats say 'no' he would not. The Jets are the NFL's 4th best rush defense: The Patriots have faced two teams ranked higher: The Chargers (3rd) and the Steelers (1st). They both held the Patriots rushing attack under 100+ yards.
Nope! The Patriots rushed for 103 yards on 24 rushing attempts versus the Pittsburgh Steelers.

NFL Game Center: New England Patriots at Pittsburgh Steelers - 2010 Week 10

Meanwhile, the New England Patriots scored 39 points against the Pittsburgh Steelers, by far the most points allowed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in any game this season.

Pittsburgh Steelers Schedule at NFL.com

Nope! The Patriots rushed for 103 yards on 24 rushing attempts versus the Pittsburgh Steelers.

NFL Game Center: New England Patriots at Pittsburgh Steelers - 2010 Week 10

Meanwhile, the New England Patriots scored 39 points against the Pittsburgh Steelers, by far the most points allowed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in any game this season.

Pittsburgh Steelers Schedule at NFL.com

The Steelers passing defense is terrible. Where the Jets can't cover the tight end...Steelers cant cover anyone.

See, you're wrong again. If you made those comments about Crumpler after someone had been claiming that Crumpler still a good player, we'd tell you that you obviously weren't watching the Patriots play, because Crumpler is the blocking tight end, Gronkowski is the all-around tight end, and Hernandez is the pass-catching tight end. We'd tell you that Crumpler has turned into a very good blocker. We might point to an ESPN article on the subject:

Sturdy Crumpler comfortable with role, weight - AFC South Blog - ESPN

and follow that up with a story from the Boston Globe

Pro Crumpler - The Boston Globe

We might do that, but we wouldn't be complaining about a lack of 'facts' and then countering that with "young" or "old" as if that was all the explanation needed. Or, at least, I'd hope we wouldn't be doing that.

Yeah, um, you're illustrating my point, rather than rebutting it. My point wasn't about Alge Crumpler at all. Not in the least. It was about what you all would do and say if I posted the statement I did. And then you went and did just that.

Worked out perfect for me. Thanks, I suppose.

"Stats are for losers, the final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

This is going to be a fun thread to revisit on next Tuesday morning.

C)Calvin Pace as a pass rusher/run stoper: He missed the first 4 games of the season. How will his presence in this game help with the pass rush/run game?
The New England Patriots offense held in check Harrison and Woodley from the Pittsburgh Steelers defense. Both Steelers outside linebackers are far superior to Calvin Pace.

See, this is a more reasonable post. You worked at it and got right with it.

For my part, I've watched every Jets game and I'd prefer someone other than Slauson. But he hasn't been the glaring hole that the five minutes where he was highlighted on Hard Knocks might have suggested. And, if you think Alan Faneca would have been a great upgrade, I'd suggest that you didn't focus much on Alan Faneca last year. "Serviceable" is the word I'd choose for Matt Slauson right now. And, clearly, offensive statistics back that up; but, even there, the better statement would be to say that there's nothing to suggest there's an exploitable hole on that side of the line.

It should never have come to that post. It was a Jets fan pimping Slauson without facts. You should have been complaining to him, which is the whole point.

Well, that and the reality that Slauson sucks. And, since you're going to play the "stats" game while grouping everything together.....

The stats for the past 5 weeks back up my position a hell of a lot more than they back yours.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/702229-patriots-jets-recent-latest-5-games-2010-numbers.html

The pats need to run the football next monday.They need to be balance.I wonder if Fred Taylor will be used.

Patriots record vs a Ryan defense: 0-2

You can swing records around however you want, they are completely situational.
Patriots record vs a Ryan defense has a few more numbers than 0 in it.

The Steelers passing defense is terrible.
On what basis? Back it up!

Well done. Sucks it is. Reason be damned, and such.

You've done better work around here, though.

The reason why everyone thinks that your guy sucks is mainly due to the fact that he plays for the Jets. In case you haven't heard, well they just suck. Don't believe me? Look for yourself......
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/336852-jets-suck-merged.html

Yeah, um, you're illustrating my point, rather than rebutting it. My point wasn't about Alge Crumpler at all. Not in the least. It was about what you all would do and say if I posted the statement I did. And then you went and did just that.

Worked out perfect for me. Thanks, I suppose.

No, I wasn't. Again, you've been acting as if I made the initial assertions about Slauson. I didn't. (Note, it wasn't the O.P., to whom I mistakenly attributed it earlier) either, it was a different Jets fan)

The second place they have improved is at LG. Slauson is much better now than he was. Still not elite but capable. I am not scared for Sanchez life when he drops back like I was in Week 1 and 2.

Find me all the individualized statistics on sacks/pressures/line calls with help/run blocking/penalties/etc... in his post that he's using to back up his claim there and you'll have finally made your point. Since you won't find them, perhaps you'll now admit you got it wrong.

It should never have come to that post. It was a Jets fan pimping Slauson without facts. You should have been complaining to him, which is the whole point.

Well, that and the reality that Slauson sucks. And, since you're going to play the "stats" game while grouping everything together.....

The stats for the past 5 weeks back up my position a hell of a lot more than they back yours.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/702229-patriots-jets-recent-latest-5-games-2010-numbers.html
No, you're missing my point. Again.

There are no stats that support your statement. But it's an opinion. You're allowed those. When you make a grand one - as you did - it's fair that you should be able to back it up. You've not done it well, but you tried better in your last post. And the article you posted talks about his progress, not his perpetual suckiness. The point of it was to say how Slauson went from being meat pieces in between Haloti Ngata's cleats, to being a serviceable guard. Your eyes tell you otherwise. Your allowed to have opinions. Even wrong ones add color to the world.

Finally I have questions I would like to ask of all Patriot fans out there:

1. Can we all agree that Tom Brady has to play perfectly in order for the Patriots to win games this season? When he hasn't...they've struggled because they're near average everywhere else on the team. Patriot fans are looking at the Sanchez vs Brady match-up to determine who's going to win. But I've demonstrated that not many quarterbacks have done that well vs the Jets this season. Why will Tom Brady have a better shot this time than last time?
I have to disagree here. Against Baltimore he threw two picks, 17 incomplete passes, a 61% completion rate - and the Pats won. Against San Diego he completed less than 60% of his passes and threw for 159 yards in a win. Against the Vikings Brady again completed less than 60% of his passes in a win. Brady threw only one touchdown pass in each of four consecutive games, and the Pats won all four of those games.

The other guys on the team may not be household names or fantasy football stars, but they all contribute as well.

Regarding the last comment, just look at how Brady played in that game versus how he has played in all his other games. He's more likely to play like he has on average all year than he is in his worst (or best) game.

2. How will the Patriots get to Sanchez? Patriots have 20 sacks in 11 games, while the Jets have only allowed 19 in 11 games. The Patriots 32nd ranked pass defense says that either you'll have to get after him or you'll give up yardage. Backup Lions QB Shaun Hill passed for 285 yards vs this defense and put up 24 points despite 2 interceptions. That should worry Patriots fans when playing a MUCH better defense in the Jets. The only two times the Jets have lost this season is when they have failed to score touchdowns. What do you expect The Patriot defense to do with regards to the Jets offense in this game?
I'll agree the Pats' pass rush is an area of concern. However, sacks may be one of the most overrated stats in football. Turnovers have a lot more effect on the outcome of a game. Compare the turnover ratio since the Jets' bye and I'd say that's probably a more telling stat than sacks.

3. Vegas odds put the Patriots as only 3.5 point favorites vs the Jets. Now, anyone who follows and cares about Vegas odds knows that the home field advantage is worth 3 points. So basically bet makers think that the Jets Pats game is a push. DO you agree or disagree? Why? (I know, I know it sounds like an English comp. question)
Vegas odds are placed in an attempt to get a fairly equal amount of money bet on both sides. There have been other games involving the Pats, both home and away, that would raise a similar question - but there's your answer.

4. Last year in New England, Mark Sachez had 4 interceptions and 1 lost fumble in a 31-14 loss. This year he is much more judicious with the football. I've read some posts that think Mark Sanchez will have 3+ interceptions in this game. But unlike Manning and the Colts, you have to respect the running game of the Jets and cannot always tee off on the quarterback expecting a pass most of the time. If Mark Sanchez plays error free football (no picks, no fumbles) what percentage chance do you think the Patriots have of winning?
I would say any quarterback, regardless of what team he plays for and what team he is playing against has an above-average, if not excellent chance of winning. That last statement is not exclusive to Sanchez nor to the Pats.

But why would you assume Sanchez will have no turnovers? Based on the last five Pats games and last five Jets games, we should expect him to turn the ball over twice. So let me turn that around to you; what percentage chance do you think the Jets have of winning if Sanchez turns the ball over twice?

No, I wasn't. Again, you've been acting as if I made the initial assertions about Slauson. I didn't. (Note, it wasn't the O.P., to whom I mistakenly attributed it earlier) either, it was a different Jets fan)
You did. And, what's more, you illustrated my point perfectly. (ETA: You even posted the Globe puff piece that I said someone would probably post). Couldn't have worked out better. You should take great pride.

Last edited:

People want to Jump on the San Diego Chargers bandwagon...but of their 5 losses 3 of them were to teams under .500. Not me sir. Would rather barely win vs sub .500 teams than lose to them.
That's a bunch of bull. The 2001 New England Patriots started out 5-5. The 2003 New England Patriots started out 2-2. I guess since the 2004 New England Patriots lost to a 4-12 Miami Dolphins team, the New England Patriots were not worthy of the 2004 AFC Playoffs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference