PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the things to talk about after last night's game, a "trash Amendola" thread would be about the last one I would think about. Sheesh. Tough crowd.

There are some people with an agenda.

Hernandez has been a bigger disappointment. Caught 0% of his targets this year and wasn't even injured.

Aye but his bullets caught 100% of their targets, though.

You appear to embrace the inconsistent view that an approach of more time and opportunities is okay with Ridley in his third year with numerous fatal and near fatal mistakes, but Amendola is a bad deal and should not be given the time to establish Welker-like rapport in a year in which the entire receiver corps is in flux and he has been hobbled. You appeared to argue the 5-year deal was a failure before it started. You seem to want to see Amendola fail, and celebrate when he is not the marquee receiver in a game. Strange.

I am not arguing that the 5-year deal was a failure I am saying his first 11 games in a Patriots uniform have been and if I the team had a do over I think they would have been better off going a different direction. Danny Amendola is 28 years old and is not performing at a high level, he has 2084 receiving yards, averages 9.1 yards per reception and has 8 career touchdowns this is not a premium player and as much as I would like to believe at 29 years old in 2014 that’s going to be his breakout season I just don’t see it happening. If you want to see a future star look at Amendola’s replacement out in St Louis Tavon Austin who has more receptions, yards and 6 times as many touchdowns scored than his predecessor and he is 22 years old, the NFL is a young man’s outside of QB very few times do you see a player become something at age 29 or 30.

As far as my willingness to give Ridley more opportunity well the first reason is that Ridley is 24 years old, and the second reason is that Ridley and Amendola aren’t even in the same atmosphere as players – Ridley finished 7th in rushing yards, 3rd in rushing touchdowns and third rushing first downs in 2012. Amendola was 40th in receptions, 65th in receiving yards, 81st in touchdown receptions in 2012, even his best season 2010 he was 9th in receptions, 51st in receiving yards and tied for 81st in touchdowns. I give Ridley a chance to correct his fumbling issues because he fumbles less than 2% of the time he touches the ball and the other 98% of the time he is one of the best players at his position in the NFL despite being under 25 years old, Amendola is not one of the best players at his position he never has been, he is not even the best player at his position on his own team currently.

Hernandez has been a bigger disappointment. Caught 0% of his targets this year and wasn't even injured.

That’s not true Hernandez caught a case :wha:

Amendola is a really good player who has been playing through a really tough injury all season. I have very little doubt that when he comes back healthy next season he will live up to the deal and Patriot fans will be more than happy with his production. And i won't be the least bit surprised if he makes big plays at big times in their play-off run this season.

I am not arguing that the 5-year deal was a failure I am saying his first 11 games in a Patriots uniform have been and if I the team had a do over I think they would have been better off going a different direction. Danny Amendola is 28 years old and is not performing at a high level, he has 2084 receiving yards, averages 9.1 yards per reception and has 8 career touchdowns this is not a premium player and as much as I would like to believe at 29 years old in 2014 that’s going to be his breakout season I just don’t see it happening. If you want to see a future star look at Amendola’s replacement out in St Louis Tavon Austin who has more receptions, yards and 6 times as many touchdowns scored than his predecessor and he is 22 years old, the NFL is a young man’s outside of QB very few times do you see a player become something at age 29 or 30.

As far as my willingness to give Ridley more opportunity well the first reason is that Ridley is 24 years old, and the second reason is that Ridley and Amendola aren’t even in the same atmosphere as players – Ridley finished 7th in rushing yards, 3rd in rushing touchdowns and third rushing first downs in 2012. Amendola was 40th in receptions, 65th in receiving yards, 81st in touchdown receptions in 2012, even his best season 2010 he was 9th in receptions, 51st in receiving yards and tied for 81st in touchdowns. I give Ridley a chance to correct his fumbling issues because he fumbles less than 2% of the time he touches the ball and the other 98% of the time he is one of the best players at his position in the NFL despite being under 25 years old, Amendola is not one of the best players at his position he never has been, he is not even the best player at his position on his own team currently.

Please stop with your silly anti-Amendola obsession. comparing him to Tavon Austin. good lord! SMH.

There are some people with an agenda.

I don’t understand how it is an agenda to state the obvious about Amendola not playing well again last night? We have other threads in this forum with posters advocating for the release of Stevan Ridley who has twice as many yards and seven times as many touchdowns than Danny Amendola. I know Danny is from the area but the only agenda I see are people attempting to defend him at all costs, maybe it is because he is a local guy people have personal ties to him, either way though he is not playing good football whether that be due to injury or whether him being a poor signing will be determined in the future but the current opinion of him if negative is certainly merited in my opinion.

Please stop with your silly anti-Amendola obsession. comparing him to Tavon Austin. good lord! SMH.

I am not anti Amendola not in the least bit I am just sick of everyone defending the guy the excuses have become old it is always something. Just accept the fact he is not the next Wes Welker and likely not even as good as Edelman and stop trying to hang the carrot for what he could be, he is 28 years old either he is going to become it or he isn’t this is the NFL things do not get better in your 30’s.

I am not comparing him to Austin I am saying if you want to see a future super star then look at Austin and stop looking at Amendola because it is not going to happen.

You think anything that is not a raving review is anti or negative but that is not the case you’re interrupting my posts in the way you want them to appear, I am pointing out that his first 11 games here have been poor and not indicative of a $5 million a year player, he is close to 30 years old and he is likely behind Edelman on the depth chart, if those things sound negative I am sorry but they’re actually just the situation we have here for better or for worse.

I don’t understand how it is an agenda to state the obvious about Amendola not playing well again last night? We have other threads in this forum with posters advocating for the release of Stevan Ridley who has twice as many yards and seven times as many touchdowns than Danny Amendola. I know Danny is from the area but the only agenda I see are people attempting to defend him at all costs, maybe it is because he is a local guy people have personal ties to him, either way though he is not playing good football whether that be due to injury or whether him being a poor signing will be determined in the future but the current opinion of him if negative is certainly merited in my opinion.

He's had seven games. Talk about rushing to judgement. It's not about defending him at all costs, it's about giving him a reasonable shot.

Amendola is a really good player who has been playing through a really tough injury all season. I have very little doubt that when he comes back healthy next season he will live up to the deal and Patriot fans will be more than happy with his production. And i won't be the least bit surprised if he makes big plays at big times in their play-off run this season.

I hope you’re right I sincerely do, I think people would be happier if they lowered their expectations down from playing 1-for-1 at Welker’s level because that is not something anyone has done on any team in the last 8 years and probably even before that so expecting that of a guy who has never surpassed 1K yards or 100 receptions in a season is probably more indicative of setting him up for failure than being optimistic.

I will be happy if Amendola can give us his 75-80 receptions, 700-900 receiving yards and 3-5 touchdowns that would make his signing a solid decision in my opinion. I am not going to expect a 122 reception, 1569 receiving yards and 9 touchdown season like Welker had 2011 from Amendola it’s not fair to him, it’s like expecting Dobson to duplicate Moss’s 2007.

Comparing injured players to fumbling players is simply not a good idea.

In any case, the reality is that there is no decision to make on Amendola until 2015, when we can decide whether he is worth his $4M salary for that year. Next year the non-guaranteed salary amounts to $1M. Also, Amendola is signed for 5 years. The major relevant decision will be how much to offer Edelman.

With regard to Ridley, I accept Belichick's judgment. We have had fumblers before who turned out to be fine later in their career (Faulk for example). Belichick will judge how much of a role Ridley should have for the rest of the year and in the future. However, we should not be surprised if a running back is drafted next year, Ridley's contract year. It seems that it take a year to learn our offensive system. With the injury to Blount, Ridley will be back; the question is his role.

He's had seven games. Talk about rushing to judgement. It's not about defending him at all costs, it's about giving him a reasonable shot.

To be fair, a whole lot of people here don't give that sort of "reasonable shot" to players on other teams. It's not about the seven games. If it weren't for the injury issue, people here would be crucifying Amendola for having the numbers he does, and deservedly so.

I am not anti Amendola not in the least bit I am just sick of everyone defending the guy the excuses have become old it is always something. Just accept the fact he is not the next Wes Welker and likely not even as good as Edelman and stop trying to hang the carrot for what he could be, he is 28 years old either he is going to become it or he isn’t this is the NFL things do not get better in your 30’s.

I am not comparing him to Austin I am saying if you want to see a future super star then look at Austin and stop looking at Amendola because it is not going to happen.

You think anything that is not a raving review is anti or negative but that is not the case you’re interrupting my posts in the way you want them to appear, I am pointing out that his first 11 games here have been poor and not indicative of a $5 million a year player, he is close to 30 years old and he is likely behind Edelman on the depth chart, if those things sound negative I am sorry but they’re actually just the situation we have here for better or for worse.

I've never said he warrants a raving review. I just don't think he should be obsessively trashed like you do. And I still fail to see what Austin has to do with this. They are completely different types of receivers and btw, your Austin argument is disingenuous. More catches and yards? Austin has less than thirty yards more and only three catches more in four more games than Amendola.

I'll go by the 1st game ... the only one where he was healthy and I say it was a great signing.

Does this same logic apply to Tommy Kelly ... he had no tackles last night cuz he can't play.

To be fair, a whole lot of people here don't give that sort of "reasonable shot" to players on other teams. It's not about the seven games. If it weren't for the injury issue, people here would be crucifying Amendola for having the numbers he does, and deservedly so.

Well if they're going to be honest evaluators, they should.

Manx buddy the season is 68.5% complete the shot has been given, this is not a rookie he is a 5 year veteran who just turned 28 years old, how long of a shot do you want to give him? Woodhead went to San Diego and was effective from day one nobody had to give him a shot, Welker went to Denver and was effective from day one nobody had to give him a reasonable shot they showed up and performed, I don’t understand why you’re so intent on giving this guy a free pass. Either way you know I hold you in the highest regard as a posters so lets just leave it as agreeing to disagree.

Well if they're going to be honest evaluators, they should.

:noidea:

Good luck with that around here. Look just at the way people are looking at last night's game, and you see that honest evaluation is a rare find around here.

I'll go by the 1st game ... the only one where he was healthy and I say it was a great signing.

Does this same logic apply to Tommy Kelly ... he had no tackles last night cuz he can't play.

Wilfork has been a huge disappointment this season, he just isn't playing up to par.

Icy my pal we both know if you put on the uniform you are judged as a player there are a lot of guys hurting that are out there playing, do you think Talib who shut down Thomas is any less bothered by his hip than Amendola is by his groin? Kelly is not on the active roster Amendola is so it’s not apples-to-apples. Brady’s hands look like Rocky’s and he is carrying this team, Dennard is out there 7 days after knee surgery hanging tight with Eric Decker, I get your point man and I respect you as a poster highly but he is on the field and his play is not just slightly down he is lucky to break the 20 yard mark in receiving yards most weeks.

As far as week one goes it was a good game but honestly it was not a great game he averaged 1.1 yards less per reception than Welker did in the same role last season and 2.5 yards less per catch than Welker did in 2011, all and all 10 receptions for 104 yards is an average days’ work by Wes Welker over the previous few seasons.

Manx buddy the season is 68.5% complete the shot has been given, this is not a rookie he is a 5 year veteran who just turned 28 years old, how long of a shot do you want to give him? Woodhead went to San Diego and was effective from day one nobody had to give him a shot, Welker went to Denver and was effective from day one nobody had to give him a reasonable shot they showed up and performed, I don’t understand why you’re so intent on giving this guy a free pass. Either way you know I hold you in the highest regard as a posters so lets just leave it as agreeing to disagree.

So you are saying that the Charger and Broncos offenses share the same complexity that the Patriot one does. And no, when he's been injured and when he's carrying an injury, you cannot say the shot has been given. And I'm pretty sure BB doesn't think that thank goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back