PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, he looked like an injured guy that was trying to get back on the same page as his quarterback. Nothing more, nothing less.

can't wait until next game when Danny makes the foolish comments on this foolish thread look foolish.

Can we give Amendola a little time to get on Brady's wavelength please. let's not forget that Edelman has had years of mediocre production to get to this level. Amendola has had less than ten games.

can't wait until next game when Danny makes the foolish comments on this foolish thread look foolish.

Maybe then they'll know what kind of fool they am.

For what it's worth I hope he does do that, just seems to be a repetitive hope at this point. Honestly it could have more to do with Edelman exceeding the teams expectations that is projecting the appearance that Amendola isn't performing at a high level, they may not have expected Edelman to command so much playing time and as many touches at the time of signing Amendola. Edelman led the team in receptions in the preseason as well so he might of made a leap that changed Amendola's role, people sometimes forget Edelman has only been playing receiver since coming into the NFL so he is still learning the position and developing as a receiver.

Can we give Amendola a little time to get on Brady's wavelength please. let's not forget that Edelman has had years of mediocre production to get to this level. Amendola has had less than ten games.

I guess the performance in game 1, saving us from a loss, is too distant for the memory of some.

Amendola is not worth what we are paying him, primarily because he was injured and Edelman stepped up.

You continue a fine patsfans tradition of devaluing playing because they had subsequent injuries.

IMHO, even now, the idea that Amendola isn't worth a bottom of the third draft choice is just silly.

To be honest if we could cut him to have a shot at a 3rd or 4th round compensatory draft pick for Welker I would do it in a heart beat.

Even if the groin is an issue he shouldn't be catching 56% of his targets, Welker regularly caught 70%+ and Edelman is catching 69% of his targets currently. 32 receptions for 358 receiving yards (1/3 of which were gift wrapped by the Steelers) and 1 touchdown (also gifted) is not what I would expect from the 26th highest paid wide receiver in the NFL.

This wasn't an either/or decision. The Patriots could have kept both if they wanted to do so.

And I'm not sure what your percentages imply - are those catchable balls or not? Drops would appear to be a more relevant statistic. Where is your baseline to say one is acceptable level of performance and the other is not?

You appear to embrace the inconsistent view that an approach of more time and opportunities is okay with Ridley in his third year with numerous fatal and near fatal mistakes, but Amendola is a bad deal and should not be given the time to establish Welker-like rapport in a year in which the entire receiver corps is in flux and he has been hobbled. You appeared to argue the 5-year deal was a failure before it started. You seem to want to see Amendola fail, and celebrate when he is not the marquee receiver in a game. Strange.

If Amendola helps to win even one playoff game, it is a good deal. If the only ball he caught was the one that helped the Pats win the title, then he is a hero. Period. This is not fantasy football, so he can have 140 receptions of little significance or 5 critical catches with the latter making him more valuable to the team and the team's goals. The Pats aren't in the playoffs yet, but they are 8-3, so his presence has not hurt the team at all (he was very good in the Bills game, but with the early issues and no Gronk I expect the entire secondary would have been on him after that if not injured so I would expect more targets and not that many receptions because of the probable defenses).

Amendola is not worth what we are paying him, primarily because he was injured and Edelman stepped up.

You continue a fine patsfans tradition of devaluing playing because they had subsequent injuries.

IMHO, even now, the idea that Amendola isn't worth a bottom of the third draft choice is just silly.

It's not Amendola's worth straight up its whether you would rather have Edelman a 3rd or 4th round compensatory draft pick and $5 million in cap space or Amendola, because if we hadn't signed Amendola we'd have those things. As you said though he is here now and hopefully he proves me wrong and becomes the player many predicted he would be.

It is not worth what we pay Amendola to have a player who will "help" win one playoff game.
$6M a year should be able to buy that. Whatever game you would identify as Amendola helping to win, Belichick would point out how important 30 or 40 other player were in that win.

To be clear, if we win the Super Bowl this year, it will not follow that ever play helping to win that game is worth $6M a year.

Amendola is worth having on the team. However, the reality is that Edelman has performed better, and that Amendola is a disappointment. BTW, being a disappointment does not mean that a player isn't a valuable part of the team.

If Amendola helps to win even one playoff game, it is a good deal. If the only ball he caught was the one that helped the Pats win the title, then he is a hero. Period.

I like Amendola and he can stretch the field out better than Wes, but I don't think he'll be the player we thought he would be in the beginning of the season. The main reason is that for Brady he is the #4 option behind Gronk/Vereen/Edelman. When you combine in it with his injuries he might be behind KT/Dobson as well if he can't show seperation.

Amendola will be a factor before this season is said and done. Everyone needs to calm down and realize that he is playing through pain right now. His explosiveness isn't there at the moment because of said injury. Also, Brady and Amendola have not had much time to establish a rapport in the regular season. The whole offense is still trying to learn to play together. The Broncos game marked only the second game in which the offense was intact. Brady is trying to bring KT and AD along as well. It's a tall task, but this team is 8-3 and a few plays away (and bad calls or no calls) from being 10-1. Who else could do that?

Amendola won't be 100% all season, due to injury. It's tough to evaluate him with that as the underlying situation.

Amendola as a replacement for Welker = fair game, IMO
Amendola as a player in his own right = unfair to judge under current conditions, IMO

I think Amendola is a very good player, but Brady is going to look at Gronk/Vereen/Edelman first that means there's not that many balls for Amendola. He's going to have to pick it up or have a Lloyd type rest of the season

"...have a Lloyd type rest of the season" is not a bad thing. Brandon Lloyd caught 74 passes for 911 yards in 2012

Amendola is on pace for 55 catches and 615 yards. If Danny Amendola were to finish up with Brandon Lloyd numbers, the Patriots offense will have been rolling right along.

Danny Amendola NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I guess the performance in game 1, saving us from a loss, is too distant for the memory of some.

All due respect Nuts week one was certainly Amendola’s best performance since being on the team but it was not the sensational, Edelman and Vereen both did more to lead to that victory than Amendola in my opinion. Amendola had what most would consider an average day in the slot for Wes Welker in previous years.

Targeted – 14
Receptions – 10
Catch ratio – 71.41%
Receiving yards – 104
Yards per reception – 10.4
Touchdowns – 0

Compare those to Edelman’s contributions:

Targeted – 9
Receptions – 7
Catch ratio – 77.77%
Receiving yards – 79
Yards per reception – 11.3
Touchdowns – 2

Amendola may have had more receptions and yards but Edelman had a better catch ratio, averaged more yards per reception and most importantly got into the end zone twice, in fact Edelman had twice as many touchdowns in that game then Amedola has had this season. Vereen had 159 total yards rushing and receiving in that game as well. I am not saying Danny played poorly because as I said it was his best game by miles this season all I am saying is it was not the 16 reception 217 receiving yard and 2 touchdown performance that Welker put on the Bills in week three of 2011.

At the end of the day I hope Amendola is able to fully heal in the offseason and be the player many expected him to be, I give the guy credit for fighting through a very painful injury and being on the field this season those two points aside the thing causing the majority of the disappointment in Amendola is the lofty expectations that he was going to Welker 2.0 or better. Welker was a HOF caliber player in his time here who played the slot position at a level never reached before so to expect Amendola to be that good is just setting the kid up for failure, right now I would be happy if he could match Edelman’s production.

Of all the things to talk about after last night's game, a "trash Amendola" thread would be about the last one I would think about. Sheesh. Tough crowd.

This kind of reminds me of what we had with Lloyd last year. The first few games and preseason, Brady was trying to see what he did in him. Amendola is a solid receiver and can stretch the field better than Welker (not as good YAC on short throws as WW).

Last night's game was interesting, Brady's progression went like this (unless they called a play for Gronk, Vereen, Edelman):
1. Gronk
2. Vereen
3. Edelman
4. Amendola/KT

-It seems like Amendola is the 4th progression for Brady which means he will be a marginal player receiver for us.

What do you guys think of Amendola, will he be worthy of the contract?

amendola is operating at about 75% right now ... hopefully he can get to 90% before the playoffs but he clearly is not right and deserves a pass IMO.

That is great that they protected themselves and Edelman stepped up and delivered but it doesn't change that Amendola has been a huge disappointment in terms of replacing Welker and just in terms of a free agent signing in general. I'm fine with the slot position as well but I am not fine with Danny Amendola he is being paid 5 times what we're paying Edelman and Edelman has outperformed Amendola in just about every game this season some weeks such as last night the difference looked like they didn't even belong on the same field. Amendola has been far and away the most disappointing player on this team this season in my opinion - nobody else is even close. To be honest if we could cut him to have a shot at a 3rd or 4th round compensatory draft pick for Welker I would do it in a heart beat.

Hernandez has been a bigger disappointment. Caught 0% of his targets this year and wasn't even injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft