PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Danny amendola. But we have a star in Edelman. But I think this offense isn't the one we has with welker. We aren't working the short routes and in the middle like with Wes. Amendola and Edelman have shown to be guys that can win us games. Amendola (week 1) Edelman last night. These guys are 2 playmaking, matchup nightmares when healthy. Unfortunately, amendola might not recover fully this year from his groin injury.

Hernandez has been a bigger disappointment. Caught 0% of his targets this year and wasn't even injured.

This makes no sense. How could someone who hasn't played at all be targeted? Am I missing something?

Amendola is a really good player who has been playing through a really tough injury all season. I have very little doubt that when he comes back healthy next season he will live up to the deal and Patriot fans will be more than happy with his production. And i won't be the least bit surprised if he makes big plays at big times in their play-off run this season.

That's what I feel about the situation. I still think, even with the injury, that he'll make an impact down the stretch. He's just too talented not to. That Steelers game was not a fluke, nor was the Buffalo game.

Was Amendola hobbled again last night?

I can't remember

This makes no sense. How could someone who hasn't played at all be targeted? Am I missing something?

Well, he was clearly targeted by the police.

I don’t agree with that first Bradford is actually a good QB when he is able to remain healthy and on the field, second plenty of wide receivers have tremendous seasons when paired with poor QBs:

• Josh Gordon has 54 receptions for 988 yards and 5 touchdowns playing Cleveland.
  • Vincent Jackson has 58 receptions for 888 yards and 5 touchdowns playing in Tampa Bay.
  • Kendall Wright has 65 receptions for 763 yards and 2 touchdowns playing in Tennessee.
  • Cecil Shorts has 58 receptions 700 receiving yards and 1 touchdown playing for Jacksonville.

It is not about his being injured it is about his not being a $5 million receiving at any point in his career and believing it was going to be any different just cause he came here a place where he would be held to a higher standard of play and where winning was a priority vs. playing in low key St. Louis where he could have a great game and then disappear for weeks at a was a bad concept from the beginning.

We don’t have to agree and I appreciate your being respectful in your objections to my position and I hope you feel I am being so in return.

Have you ever watched the Rams because you are wrong wrong wrong

(For what it's worth, my roommate is a Rams fan so I've watched every Rams game the last three years)

You can argue that durability trumps talent, but Amendola was probably a better player with the Rams than Welker was with the Dolphins. Did you make a "Welker isn't worth a 2nd and 7th rounder" argument in 2007? If not, you're just being disingenuous.

Icy my pal we both know if you put on the uniform you are judged as a player there are a lot of guys hurting that are out there playing, do you think Talib who shut down Thomas is any less bothered by his hip than Amendola is by his groin? Kelly is not on the active roster Amendola is so it’s not apples-to-apples. Brady’s hands look like Rocky’s and he is carrying this team, Dennard is out there 7 days after knee surgery hanging tight with Eric Decker, I get your point man and I respect you as a poster highly but he is on the field and his play is not just slightly down he is lucky to break the 20 yard mark in receiving yards most weeks.

As far as week one goes it was a good game but honestly it was not a great game he averaged 1.1 yards less per reception than Welker did in the same role last season and 2.5 yards less per catch than Welker did in 2011, all and all 10 receptions for 104 yards is an average days’ work by Wes Welker over the previous few seasons.

Name one athlete who relies on speed and quickness who has performed at the highest level with a groin injury ... it's just not possible - when the groin is ripped your core strength suffers.

Many folks here would have preferred that Amendola be put on IR, rather than playing at only at a diminished level, given his groin injury. Belichick thinks that it is still worth activating and playing Amendola, even at his current level of play.

Edelman is our #1 WR

Dobson/Thompkins are our #2 WR.

Amendola is a role player.

That works four me this year. We'll see where we are next year, and if Edelman is still here.

Many folks here would have preferred that Amendola be put on IR, rather than playing at only at a diminished level, given his groin injury. Belichick thinks that it is still worth activating and playing Amendola, even at his current level of play.

Edelman is our #1 WR

Dobson/Thompkins are our #2 WR.

Amendola is a role player.

That works four me this year. We'll see where we are next year, and if Edelman is still here.

Jules will stay IMO. We need him on the field, such a great player.

Amendola has been garbage this year--it's week 12.... this is the time you are supposed to be peaking as a player and as a team. Had this stiff made one or two more catches at Cincy or Carolina we'd be the one seed instead of clawing for the number 2.

I want this guy off the roster next year badly.

Amendola has been garbage this year--it's week 12.... this is the time you are supposed to be peaking as a player and as a team. Had this stiff made one or two more catches at Cincy or Carolina we'd be the one seed instead of clawing for the number 2.

Please tell me you are trying for humour. Since when has being the #2 seed been a bad thing?

Yes, we need him. We also needed Woodhead. We also needed Thomas. Just because we need him does not mean that he will choose to stay at what the patriots offer.

Jules will stay IMO. We need him on the field, such a great player.

Have you ever watched the Rams because you are wrong wrong wrong

(For what it's worth, my roommate is a Rams fan so I've watched every Rams game the last three years)

You can argue that durability trumps talent, but Amendola was probably a better player with the Rams than Welker was with the Dolphins. Did you make a "Welker isn't worth a 2nd and 7th rounder" argument in 2007? If not, you're just being disingenuous.

That’s not really the point though; Danny was statistically the same player in 2010 as he was in 2012 for the Rams. Welker had an OK first season with the Dolphins and then jumped up to a good second season so we signed him on an upswing, we signed Amendola in my opinion at his peak and his peak is what he is now a good slot receiver who against certain teams will exploit his matchup and have 3-4 great games a season and then be average at best in the remainder. That is Danny’s career through 4+ seasons and at the age of 28 years old, expecting him to be a different player doesn’t make any sense to me.

This belief that Amendola being here was going to make him a better player just seems like a falsely, Welker’s improvements as a player correlated with his being in his 3rd NFL season his being here was not the cause of it.

2005 – 54 targets, 29 receptions, 434 receiving yards
2006 – 99 targets, 67 receptions, 687 receiving yards
2007 – 145 targets, 112 receptions, 1175 receiving yards
2008 – 150 targets, 111 receptions, 1165 receiving yards
2009 – 162 targets, 123 receptions, 1348 receiving yards

IF you look at Welker in his first 5 seasons in the NFL it was more about his improvement as a player and his increased opportunity (targeted passes) he was the same player who caught 68%-72% of his targets and averaged 11-12 yards per reception before he came here. Now you take a look at Amendola and he has had seasons prior to coming here where he has been targeted 100+ times in a year and he is still a 600-700 receiving yards less than 10 yards per reception player. Some will say that playing with Bradford held him back but Welker’s QBs were not any better when he was with the Dolphins and for a more apple-to-apples comparison Brandon Lloyd played 11 games with St. Louis (Bradford) in 2011 during those 11 games he had 51 receptions for 683 yards and 5 touchdowns which projects to 74 receptions, 993 receiving yards and 7 touchdowns over 16 games jump to 2012 and Lloyd had 74 receptions, 911 receiving yards and 4 touchdowns as a member of the Patriots. So did the change in QB do anything to make Lloyd a better player than he was in St. Louis because he appeared to basically have the same level of performance with Bradford as he did Brady? I don’t know why anyone would expect Amendola to be any different, people really become too caught up in the Welker comparisons and set forth unrealistic expectations, and Josh McDaniels seems to be the #1 culprit of believing that he can just bring in one of his guys from the past and they’re going to become studs with Brady. I ask you though – Amendola, Lloyd, Hoomanawanui, Fells and Salas did any of them become anything more than they were when they got to New England than they were on their prior teams?

That’s not really the point though; Danny was statistically the same player in 2010 as he was in 2012 for the Rams. Welker had an OK first season with the Dolphins and then jumped up to a good second season so we signed him on an upswing, we signed Amendola in my opinion at his peak and his peak is what he is now a good slot receiver who against certain teams will exploit his matchup and have 3-4 great games a season and then be average at best in the remainder. That is Danny’s career through 4+ seasons and at the age of 28 years old, expecting him to be a different player doesn’t make any sense to me.

This belief that Amendola being here was going to make him a better player just seems like a falsely, Welker’s improvements as a player correlated with his being in his 3rd NFL season his being here was not the cause of it.

2005 – 54 targets, 29 receptions, 434 receiving yards
2006 – 99 targets, 67 receptions, 687 receiving yards
2007 – 145 targets, 112 receptions, 1175 receiving yards
2008 – 150 targets, 111 receptions, 1165 receiving yards
2009 – 162 targets, 123 receptions, 1348 receiving yards

IF you look at Welker in his first 5 seasons in the NFL it was more about his improvement as a player and his increased opportunity (targeted passes) he was the same player who caught 68%-72% of his targets and averaged 11-12 yards per reception before he came here. Now you take a look at Amendola and he has had seasons prior to coming here where he has been targeted 100+ times in a year and he is still a 600-700 receiving yards less than 10 yards per reception player. Some will say that playing with Bradford held him back but Welker’s QBs were not any better when he was with the Dolphins and for a more apple-to-apples comparison Brandon Lloyd played 11 games with St. Louis (Bradford) in 2011 during those 11 games he had 51 receptions for 683 yards and 5 touchdowns which projects to 74 receptions, 993 receiving yards and 7 touchdowns over 16 games jump to 2012 and Lloyd had 74 receptions, 911 receiving yards and 4 touchdowns as a member of the Patriots. So did the change in QB do anything to make Lloyd a better player than he was in St. Louis because he appeared to basically have the same level of performance with Bradford as he did Brady? I don’t know why anyone would expect Amendola to be any different, people really become too caught up in the Welker comparisons and set forth unrealistic expectations, and Josh McDaniels seems to be the #1 culprit of believing that he can just bring in one of his guys from the past and they’re going to become studs with Brady. I ask you though – Amendola, Lloyd, Hoomanawanui, Fells and Salas did any of them become anything more than they were when they got to New England than they were on their prior teams?

Points well made not even a nit picker can argue that.

I don’t understand how it is an agenda to state the obvious about Amendola not playing well again last night? .

Based on what?

Except for the fact that Amendola has played 7 games in a Patriots uniform (most while dealing with a lingering groin injury) and Brady6 is already comparing him to Daniel Fells and Greg Salas. After the first game of this season, people were ready to crown Amendola as better than Welker.

Amendola's probably not Welker, but I don't know why that's the comparison. Jordy Nelson isn't Jerry Rice, either, but the Packers seem pretty happy with him. If Amenolda stays healthy, he's going to be worth what they're paying him. If he doesn't, then the durability thing is a legitimate gripe. Talent isn't.

Yeah, me too, and Wilfofrk and Vollmer, and Mayo, and Kelly too, they all suck. frigging belichcik, signing players who get injured. :mad:

WTF is he thinking???:mad:

A good GM would sign players who never get injured.:mad:

Yes, we need him. We also needed Woodhead. We also needed Thomas. Just because we need him does not mean that he will choose to stay at what the patriots offer.

I would be very surprised if Edelman returns after this season. I felt all along that he took the one year deal to set himself up for a better deal and he's delivering on the field and he will make much more than the Patriots are willing to pay him. I would love to see him back for the long term but given the way they allocate resources I just don't see it. I think someone will pay him upwards of 15 million and don't believe Belichick is willing to go there. If he would take 10 for 3 years then it is a possibility, but it is hard to see him not getting offers that easily trump that.

Good move by Edelman, even if his offers were limited last offseason, he should be in pretty good demand this offseason. Indy would make a lot of sense, but so would a number of other teams.

Based on what?

6 targets, 3 receptions for 17 yards and a 10 yard offensive pass interference penalty. Not a good game bro, I know you like Amendola and that's fine I hope he turns it around but he had a really bad game on Sunday.

I look forward to seeing him 100% in 2014 and hope that he is every bit the player you and many speculate he can be, right now though I am not overjoyed with his signing the injury circumstance are likely a big factor but injury concerns were well documented prior to his signing so I can't use the injury as an excuse for the signing being poor, that was the #1 concern with the signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back