PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alfonzo Dennard

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he should not be starting, although I still stand by the fact that with the proper scheming of additional coverage/safety responsibilities, Belichick may feel that he can learn to see more live reps and earn more of a chance to see the field; all while hiding his more obvious weakness(es). The same would go for Edelman. He's someone who contributes in more ways than we likely ever know, practice prep, ST's, potential CB play in an injury situation, etc. I do not want him starting of course, but so many people forget that you can contribute more than what we see on gameday that I couldn't help but "root" for the 2 guys that so many wanted to cut.
I have slated Sterling Moore as the starting nickel cornerback next season with the departure of Kyle Arrington via unrestricted free agency.

The BOTTOM LINE is that we would start next year with a better defense than this year, even without re-signing Arrington and Chung. In the end, there are exactly ZERO key re-signs on the defensive side of the ball. Contrast with the offense where we have Welker, Edelman, Branch, Woodhead, Vollmer, and Thomas as free agents.

BTW, I have us keeping Gregory AND use a top draft pick for a safety; that fills the only "hole" in the roster. Obviously, there is also room for upgrades and additions.
=====================

Basically you

1) do not re-sign Arrington and Chung.
2) re-sign Fletcher, Cole, White and Koutouvides
3) cut Gregory
4) keep the rest
5) have room for 4 additions from the draft, trade or free agency
============================
I have no arguments with any of this except for the presumption that we will cut Gregory and the re-signs.

Gregory has a contract. I do not see that Ebner projects as a starter as yet. It can't hurt to have Gregory unless and until he is replaced by two better players.

Also, I do not presume the signing of bottom of the roster players (or anyone else). For example, are we giving 2nd round money to Fletcher? Niko didn't make this roster. Why would he make next.

By the way, I already have Sterling Moore earmarked for the 2013 New England Patriots roster:

Defensive Tackle: Wilfork, Love, Deaderick
Defensive End: Jones, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Francis, Bequette
Linebacker: Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Fletcher (RFA), Koutouvides, White
Cornerback: McCourty, Dowling, Dennard, Moore (ERFA), Cole
Safety: Wilson, Ebner

Special Teams Core: Koutouvides, White, Cole, Ebner

Last edited:
Basically you

1) do not re-sign Arrington and Chung.
2) re-sign Fletcher, Cole, White and Koutouvides
3) cut Gregory
4) keep the rest
5) have room for 4 additions from the draft, trade or free agency
============================
I have no arguments with any of this except for the presumption that we will cut Gregory and the re-signs.

Gregory has a contract. I do not see that Ebner projects as a starter as yet. It can't hurt to have Gregory unless and until he is replaced by two better players.

Also, I do not presume the signing of bottom of the roster players (or anyone else). For example, are we giving 2nd round money to Fletcher? Niko didn't make this roster. Why would he make next.

I def concur with not seeing Chung and Arrington back... With the emergence of Dennard we could see McCourty start spending some more time back at Saftey during 3rd downs again ala last year.

So a def back package of

CB - S. Moore
CB - Dennard
CB - Dowling
S- McCourty
S - Wilson

p.s I think Moore plays better on McCourty's side for some reason..

I have slated Sterling Moore as the starting nickel cornerback next season with the departure of Kyle Arrington via unrestricted free agency.

Where is the love for Kyle?:confused: i think he's easily retained in FA next year. And you have to give him credit for still beeing on this Team over those Bust CB's we Drafted over the years ie...Wheatley - Buttler - Whilite just to name a few. I think he'll make a nice Nikel CB if the likes of Dennard and *especially Dowling* improves.

Any D w/o Chung in it is an improvement IMO.

My question is how come the Pats no longer employ the ever deadly CB blitz? Used to love seeing those!

Any D w/o Chung in it is an improvement IMO.

My question is how come the Pats no longer employ the ever deadly CB blitz? Used to love seeing those!
They've blitzed Arrington at times. He just hasn't gotten there.

The BOTTOM LINE is that we would start next year with a better defense than this year, even without re-signing Arrington and Chung. In the end, there are exactly ZERO key re-signs on the defensive side of the ball.
The youth movement on defense shall continue with the core special teams players re-signed.

Contrast with the offense where we have Welker, Edelman, Branch, Woodhead, Vollmer, and Thomas as free agents.
Only so many salary cap dollars to go around. Welker and Edelman should be retained to maintain the best offense in the NFL. Vollmer's health may determine his future contract status.

BTW, I have us keeping Gregory AND use a top draft pick for a safety; that fills the only "hole" in the roster. Obviously, there is also room for upgrades and additions.
I am currently on the fence with Steven Gregory. I personally did not care for the signing back in March.

Fletcher may receive the minimum tender since he will be recovering from a torn ACL. Koutouvides is currently on the 53 man roster.

Practice squad: Forston, Tarpinian, Def Player A, Def Player B (4 offense, 4 defense)

Speed Dial: Carpenter

Where is the love for Kyle?:confused: i think he's easily retained in FA next year.
Any unrestricted free agency money earmarked for Arrington, Brace, Chung, Pryor, Scott should be allotted to Wes Welker and Julian Edelman.

Any unrestricted free agency money earmarked for Arrington, Brace, Chung, Pryor, Scott should be allotted to Wes Welker and Julian Edelman.

I can dig this. You got a shovel?

Where is the love for Kyle?:confused: i think he's easily retained in FA next year. And you have to give him credit for still beeing on this Team over those Bust CB's we Drafted over the years ie...Wheatley - Buttler - Whilite just to name a few. I think he'll make a nice Nikel CB if the likes of Dennard and *especially Dowling* improves.

There are 2 popular thoughts regarding Arrington's future here:

1. With the high priced market for CB's, he will almost surely price himself out of Foxborough or another team will simply make him an offer that he can't refuse. We saw it this year alone with Anderson and BJGE, who were offered ridiculous contracts and left. There are many who feel that Arrington will be able to get around 6-7 million per year, particularly since he's from N.England, and also because he's made somewhat of a name for himself.

2. He often struggles in certain aspects and can certainly be upgraded. (That said, he should also be lauded for being an overachiever here, and doing a decent job at some things too)

Unless Arrington plans on leaving a ton of money on the table and staying here for 4 million or so a year, I can't see any scenario where he remains a NEP.

$4m for Arrington would be a gross overpayment, he shouldn't be a starting (or nickel) corner in the NFL, he's great on STs and that's really where he should stay.

I could potentially see any of Brace, Pryor, or Scott sticking around after this season simply because they have no real track record to be overpaid on. They may come extremely cheap, and if not, then sayonara. I agree re: Arrington and Chung, though: in all likelihood, someone else will wildly overpay them.

There are many who feel that Arrington will be able to get around 6-7 million per year, particularly since he's from N.England, and also because he's made somewhat of a name for himself.
What, that he's one of the worst corners in the NFL?

Hopefully he and Chung are gone and the Pats can sign a veteran FA safety.

Someone like Byrd from Buffalo or Phillips from NYG?

Granted the Pats rarely do this but I sure hope they do this time!

Looking at the free agents coming up on KFFL, Steven Jackson is a FA so with that I'd assume Amendola will become a free agent, he would be a good option (and younger, cheaper) to replace Welker if they go that route.

Safeties:
Dashon Goldson
Ryan Mundy
Kenny Phillips

could all be realistic options and of course an unrealistic option...Ed Reed!

Bring in any of those 3 realistic ones and pair them with Wilson and the secondary looks better

Pats were pursing goldson but didnt want to pay him what he wanted i think, so he signed with SF.

Pats were pursing goldson but didnt want to pay him what he wanted i think, so he signed with SF.

Wasn't that because he wanted a longer deal than the 1 year the Pats were offering/he only wanted a 1 year deal and the Pats offered a multi year deal?

I know it was before last season and he went on to have a great season after re-signing with the 9ers.

Arrington I'd still like back for the right price. ST contributions and he could still be a solid CB4 or maybe even CB3 for us. I don't know what type of $$ he'll demand though. You can never have enough depth at CB and he's had a rough start to this season but he was a solid contributor the past 2 seasons.

The later into this week we get, the better Dennard was last week....

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents