PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson Makes Good Impression on Day 2 of OTA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most disappointing thing for me at the early OTAs was Brian Daboll working with the offensive linemen instead of the wide receivers. Daboll
had a proven record of success developing wide receivers (Branch, Givens).

Just to scare you more ask yourself why Scar needs anyonelooking over his shoulder? He certainly doesn't need the help. As soon as I read this my first thought was uh oh might Scar be thinking about the end?

I can like picture it during the season:

Jim Nantz: "Brady dropping back, launches it down the left sideline, and it is Dobson with the catch! Straight up out-jumped the defender!!! Gain of 35!"

Phil Simms: "And you can see Jim, this is what the Patriots have lacked the last few seasons, a receiver that can go up and get the 50-50 balls. Look at Dobson, number 17 on your screen, he has a basketball background, so he has the ability to box defenders out for position, just like boxing out for a rebound."

Nantz: "Yeah Phil, Tom Brady must be excited to have a receiver like that. Came from the same school as Randy Moss and Troy Brown."

I can like picture it during the season:

Jim Nantz: "Brady dropping back, launches it down the left sideline, and it is Dobson with the catch! Straight up out-jumped the defender!!! Gain of 35!"

Phil Simms: "And you can see Jim, this is what the Patriots have lacked the last few seasons, a receiver that can go up and get the 50-50 balls. Look at Dobson, number 17 on your screen, he has a basketball background, so he has the ability to box defenders out for position, just like boxing out for a rebound."

Nantz: "Yeah Phil, Tom Brady must be excited to have a receiver like that. Came from the same school as Randy Moss and Troy Brown."

seems-legit-7.jpg

I read that in their voices and it sounded like a convincing Nantz/Simms commentary. Congrats.

I saw Paul Warfield play his entire career...the ball hits both his hands he MAKES THE CATCH!

"For most of Warfield's tenure in Miami the Dolphins ran an offense which stressed running the ball. Warfield was considered a major threat on any given play. Even though he only caught 29 passes during the 1973 NFL season, 11 of those receptions were touchdowns."

Griese throws the ball...it hits Warfield in the hands...he makes the catch...PERFECT SEASON.

Throw Biletnikoff the ball in the playoffs or the Super Bowl...HE MAKES THE CATCH!

Dwight Clark, Michael Irvin, Lynn Swann, Jerry Rice...THEY MAKE THE CATCH!!!

Anquan Boldin...2012 playoff in Foxboro...he goes up with TWO db's on him...he MAKES THE CATCH!

every day it's "Welker Welker Welker!!!!..who is going to replace his 100+ catches?????"....hey, he laid it out there for the Pats and took some monstrous hits but I SAW the ball hit his hands...both of them...in that Super bowl...I read all the spin afterward...look, the ball HIT HIM IN THE HANDS. The ball hit him in both hands in the first half of the Ravens playoff game...I was 20 yards away...it HIT HIM RIGHT IN THE HANDS!!!!...no spin...no excuses..I SAW what I SAW in person. Every single one of those WR's I just put up MAKES that catch. I saw him drop a pass in the 2nd half with no one near him inside the Raven 30...hit BOTH HANDS in stride. Championship caliber players MAKE that catch. Almost but not good enough makes THOSE DROPS. Can we PLEASE move on from Wes Welker?

Every great receiver in the history of the game has made a bad drop. Welker has caught more passes in a six year span than anyone else in the history of the league, he's going to occasionally drop a couple.

Sorry, not even a love child of Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in their primes could possibly satisfy your ridiculous standards.

I think our offense will be fine, if nothing than simply we were #3 all time last year, even if it takes a big step back we're still better than everyone else. But trying to diminish what Welker did and acting like anyone could have done it is just flat out stupid.

People forget Welker had a monster game in SB 42, and if not for Brady being Brady, he should have won the MVP had we won that game. In SB 46 he also had a pretty monster game, one drop aside. This past Ravens AFCCG? Another big game for Welker. The only games where Welker didn't make an impact was the Jets 10 game where he was recovering from ACL surgery and had Revis on him the entire game and our OL completely crapped themselves.

Just to scare you more ask yourself why Scar needs anyonelooking over his shoulder? He certainly doesn't need the help. As soon as I read this my first thought was uh oh might Scar be thinking about the end?

I don't know about you guys but I listen to PFW In Progress on Patriots.com and on Tuesday, it was asked about Daboll's role on day 1 of OTA's. Paul Perillo speculated that maybe Daboll was working with the offensive lineman as a potential sign that Dante is considering retirement in the not so distant future (as in the next 1-3 years).

Just something that should be noted. Dante, who in my view should be in the Patriots HOF when he retires, is entering the age where it is probably something that he is thinking about....

Although Lloyd was a good possession WR he was literally the least dangerous WR i have ever watched.
Not a WR but remember christian fauria? He could be 15 yards from anyone and still drop into the fetal position immediately after the catch, absolutely terrified of getting hit.

I don't know about you guys but I listen to PFW In Progress on Patriots.com and on Tuesday, it was asked about Daboll's role on day 1 of OTA's. Paul Perillo speculated that maybe Daboll was working with the offensive lineman as a potential sign that Dante is considering retirement in the not so distant future (as in the next 1-3 years).

Just something that should be noted. Dante, who in my view should be in the Patriots HOF when he retires, is entering the age where it is probably something that he is thinking about....

Unless he really enjoys his job...

While you're checking out Youtube videos of Dobson, search out "Aaron Dobson the catch" on Youtube from his 2011 game vs (I believe it was) FIU. I was totally sold on him that game... was watching it because I'd heard a bunch of guys hyping up Vinny Curry. One of the true jaw-droppers from all the football I've watched in my life.

While you're checking out Youtube videos of Dobson, search out "Aaron Dobson the catch" on Youtube from his 2011 game vs (I believe it was) FIU. I was totally sold on him that game... was watching it because I'd heard a bunch of guys hyping up Vinny Curry. One of the true jaw-droppers from all the football I've watched in my life.

Bro, where you been the last month? haha But in all seriousness, i think we're all hoping he can make some more crazy catches in the pros, and if early OTA's are ANY indication, he seems to be easing in pretty well.

Btw, I live in Austin and drive through Pflugerville every day up to work....New England transplant. Welcome to the message board.

I'm going to wait until the pads are on before passing judgement.

So are you saying they should go sign Antavious Wilson?

They need to sign the dude just because of his name ! I think the last generation of parents were big fans of the movie "Gladiator", why else would they give their babies Roman names. Antavious, Barkeveous, gotta love it.

Every great receiver in the history of the game has made a bad drop. Welker has caught more passes in a six year span than anyone else in the history of the league, he's going to occasionally drop a couple.

Sorry, not even a love child of Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in their primes could possibly satisfy your ridiculous standards.

I think our offense will be fine, if nothing than simply we were #3 all time last year, even if it takes a big step back we're still better than everyone else. But trying to diminish what Welker did and acting like anyone could have done it is just flat out stupid.

People forget Welker had a monster game in SB 42, and if not for Brady being Brady, he should have won the MVP had we won that game. In SB 46 he also had a pretty monster game, one drop aside. This past Ravens AFCCG? Another big game for Welker. The only games where Welker didn't make an impact was the Jets 10 game where he was recovering from ACL surgery and had Revis on him the entire game and our OL completely crapped themselves.

gee...sorry Wes....."if only" in that Jet game huh?..and of course drops in a playoff and Super Bowl game don't matter...look at all those cathes he made in the regular season...why if Brady wasn't being Brady, he would have been MVP of 42 with a 9 yard average and 11 catches , no TD's and no threat..it was all Brady's fault because Welker, as you so glaringly insinuate is way better than a chokin g Brady. You defy description actually. Sure all wr's have drops...maybe you MISSED THE GIGANTIC POINT..the great receivers make the BIG CATCH in the Super Bowl and the playoffs...the catch that leads to VICTORY...not the drops that leave the otheer teams the crack they're looking for to WIN.

Belichick 101....in the playoffs the game is decided by four or five key plays...Welker screwed up the biggest catch in the Super Bowl...YOU want to blame Brady???and the drops in the AFCCG? I won't even acknowledge your insistence that Wes had a great game...follow your man love out to Denver then and tear your lungs to shreds screaming for your Wes...jeezus krist...and MVP of 42????? are you addicted to drugs or something? Brady led the Pats down the field in the 4th quarter and found Moss in the endzone for the lead with two minutes left, after being beaten up and hounded all game...and YOU declare Wes Welker MVP of THAT game????...sorry Mrs. Welker...I ain't buying it.

and my ridiculous standards???? what is so ridiculous?? Dwight Clark MADE THE CATCH...Irvin MADE THE CATCH...Swann MADE THE CATCH...Troy Brown MADE THE CATCH...Warfield, Biletnikoff, John Stallworth,Jerry Rice...BIG BIG BIG in the Super Bowls and playoffs...they are ridiculous????? people remember THEIR big drops???.....sorry you take such affront to your binky, Welker...he DROPPED big time passes and EVERYONE saw it and KNOWS it.

The main problem with Lloyd was that he would go to the ground after making the catch to avoid being hit. It is quite difficult to get extra yardage if you are laying on the ground.

That was what had fans *****ing, not really what caused problems.

That was what had fans *****ing, not really what caused problems.

192 YAC on 74 receptions definitely isn't good, and if that's coming from the guy who's supposed to stretch the field, then it's absolutely a problem. To put some perspective on that, he was 28th in the league in yards, and 118th in YAC.

Doesn't make him a bad player, by any means, but it's pretty much inarguable that that was a significant flaw in his game last year. If he had been even league-average in YAC, the offense would have been significantly improved.

I think I've stayed away from the Welker "issue" for many threads. Still, this is what Welker was (in my opinion).

He was a great slot receiver that made up for his physical limitations by being on the same page as Brady. Pound for pound, I'm not sure there was anyone tougher than Welker. He was smart and always good with situational awareness and was a 3rd down machine.

The only real issue was the physical limitation (short arms/height) that requires very accurate throws and height. His target area was much smaller than many receivers. The further down field the receiver was, the tougher those throws became. This is one area that many fans (outside NE) really don't understand about Brady's greatness (pin point accuracy).

Great point

and my ridiculous standards???? what is so ridiculous?? Dwight Clark MADE THE CATCH...Irvin MADE THE CATCH...Swann MADE THE CATCH...Troy Brown MADE THE CATCH...Warfield, Biletnikoff, John Stallworth,Jerry Rice...BIG BIG BIG in the Super Bowls and playoffs...they are ridiculous????? people remember THEIR big drops???.....sorry you take such affront to your binky, Welker...he DROPPED big time passes and EVERYONE saw it and KNOWS it.

And while we all recognize that those throws were not perfect - possibly for the reasons RelocatedPatFan noted - nor is any ONE person responsible for a win or a loss...

... here's the one thing you can't get around:

If Welker catches those passes, he remains a Patriot today

Indeed a he'd not just be a Patriot who helped bring the ring total to 5, he'd be earning a whole lot than what he's making now.

The_Catch,_Dwight_Clark,_S.F,_Ca._1981.jpg

I immediately remember THIS when anyone says "Dwight Clark"....

nfl_a_welkerpanel_gb1_576.jpg

I immediately remember THIS when anyone says "Wes Welker in the Super Bowl"

I think HE does too....

nfl_g_welker_gb1_576.jpg

Yes, we hope that Dobson is a red sone threat (as indicated by your TD numbers). Otherwise the numbers you gave are similar to Lloyd's, hardly OROY numbers.

Nope - I don't think Dobson needs to have a high TD count

He just needs to occasionally but reliably stretch the field in a way that Lloyd simply could not.

Leave the TDs to the RBs and your 6 foot 6 receivers - and hopefully Gronk too.

Nope - I don't think Dobson needs to have a high TD count

He just needs to occasionally but reliably stretch the field in a way that Lloyd simply could not.

Leave the TDs to the RBs and your 6 foot 6 receivers - and hopefully Gronk too.

Yes and no- if he gets 10 TDs, it will probably mean that Gronk missed a lot of time, so I'd rather not see that. At the same time, a 6'3, physical receiver with great hands = an absolutely lethal red zone weapon. If he pans out, then he absolutely should (and will) be featured in the red zone. Not at Gronk's expense- it'll just make the Pats all the more impossible to defend down there, and will be great insurance if Gronk goes down again.

I agree that stretching the field is the primary need, since that's something that nobody on the roster has the proven ability to do, but I wouldn't undersell his potential to be a playmaker in the red zone either. We may need that less, but it's awfully compelling regardless.

I'm going to wait until the pads are on before passing judgement.

Pretty much the way I see it.

If he sucks in preseason, many on this board will be all over him.
If he kicks butt in preseason, many on this board will be saying the WAY over used "let's not put him in Canton..." line.

But can we just see him in pads first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft