PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson Makes Good Impression on Day 2 of OTA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
The_Catch,_Dwight_Clark,_S.F,_Ca._1981.jpg

I immediately remember THIS when anyone says "Dwight Clark"....

nfl_a_welkerpanel_gb1_576.jpg

I immediately remember THIS when anyone says "Wes Welker in the Super Bowl"

I think HE does too....

nfl_g_welker_gb1_576.jpg

if the ball hits you on both hands you should catch it. people need to stop making excuses, when we needed someone to make a catch, welker dropped it twice.

The main problem with Lloyd was that he would go to the ground after making the catch to avoid being hit. It is quite difficult to get extra yardage if you are laying on the ground.

It's funny, Deion Branch was notorious for self preservation also - which drove me crazy when he was younger but obviously by the time we got him back it made sense considering he was in his 30's. Lloyd's biggest problem was the fact he made quite a few catches a little more difficult than they needed to be and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact he didn't seem to be at the right place at the right time on his routes - which probably affected his YAC as well.

As a result the larger thing that stands out is the fact the completion percentage on attempts to him (57% overall, and just 3-of-22 on deep left pass plays, 5-of-14 on deep right pass plays) I think speaks volumes, and obviously there's an issue we weren't aware of that caused them to want to part ways with him.

Last edited:
I said it before, and I'll say it again.. this kid is a beast.

I thought this was the no drops kid? So many drops in that video

You can hear the commentators state that it was not typical of him and that he was a top receiver in the country. He still made a lot of plays, everybody has drops in their career.

Yes and no- if he gets 10 TDs, it will probably mean that Gronk missed a lot of time, so I'd rather not see that. At the same time, a 6'3, physical receiver with great hands = an absolutely lethal red zone weapon. If he pans out, then he absolutely should (and will) be featured in the red zone. Not at Gronk's expense- it'll just make the Pats all the more impossible to defend down there, and will be great insurance if Gronk goes down again.

I agree that stretching the field is the primary need, since that's something that nobody on the roster has the proven ability to do, but I wouldn't undersell his potential to be a playmaker in the red zone either. We may need that less, but it's awfully compelling regardless.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that if if Dobson (or anyone else for that matter) were a consistent and credible deep threat, they could have 0 TDs on the year and still be a tremendous difference maker and success for this team.

Yes and no- if he gets 10 TDs, it will probably mean that Gronk missed a lot of time, so I'd rather not see that.

Unless of course those TD's come from big plays :D

Most of Gronk's come down inside the Red Zone (8-of-11 in 2012), so if those numbers end up inflated thanks to some big plays by Dobson I'd be O.K. with that. Nothing wrong with scoring from outside the redzone :cool:

Last edited:
Didn't see anyone talking about this, but it appears that Dobson is off to a good start after the media saw him make "the play of the day".

Aaron Dobson’s Nice Catch in Traffic Down Sideline Among Highlights of Patriots’ Second Day of OTAs | New England Patriots | NESN.com

Definitely excited to see more of this kid :D

Agreed Ian hopefully he will get a fair shake to see what he's capable of. He definitely has great hands and ability to make catches in traffic over under & sideways of defenders.

Every great receiver in the history of the game has made a bad drop. Welker has caught more passes in a six year span than anyone else in the history of the league, he's going to occasionally drop a couple.

True.

But he dropped the one that mattered the most.

patriots1-articleLarge.jpg

Can't effing stand seeing that picture of Welker dropping the ball. It almost makes me sick to my stomach--literally.

The only worse image is the helmet catch, and the throwing angle of that play which clearly shows Seymour being held and Eli being in the grasp for a sack.

eli-eludes-topper.jpg

A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY....NEVER EVER FORGET

How come Dobson hasn't signed yet ?

Are there any WRs on the roster who haven't looked good yet?

Other than Edelman, of course.

Obviously O'Hara DOESN'T have his right arm around Seymour's neck from behind...obviously...just like Seymour doesn't have HIS right arm across Eli's midsection and gripping his jersey...obviously....as Obvious Ref looks on...obviously

I was sold on Aaron Dobson as soon as I saw his excellent triangle numbers and watched the Youtube of the 'Big Catch' and one or two more, easier, one-handed grabs, to reveal it was not a fluke.

Only a Moss-like clone could have caught that one-handed, back-hand stab, and gathered it in while tumbling for a TD. When I found out that he graduated in 3 and a 1/2 years and made the All Academic squad as well, I thought he would NOT have problems understanding the Patriots passing scheme.

He is unlike the functional illiterate, typical WR DIVAs, that we have seen parade through here, or the moronic potential draftees, the scouts touted like Austin, Patterson, Hunter, etc. I imagine Belichick chortling as teams selected these dim bulbs.

I wonder who BB would have chosen between intelligent and talented Robert Woods, and Aaron Dobson. But Woods had been selected earlier in the 2nd round. Woods is just smaller overall, and I think BB would have still opted for Aaron.

I was sold on Aaron Dobson as soon as I saw his excellent triangle numbers and watched the Youtube of the 'Big Catch' and one or two more, easier, one-handed grabs, to reveal it was not a fluke.

Only a Moss-like clone could have caught that one-handed, back-hand stab, and gathered it in while tumbling for a TD. When I found out that he graduated in 3 and a 1/2 years and made the All Academic squad as well, I thought he would NOT have problems understanding the Patriots passing scheme.

He is unlike the functional illiterate, typical WR DIVAs, that we have seen parade through here, or the moronic potential draftees, the scouts touted like Austin, Patterson, Hunter, etc. I imagine Belichick chortling as teams selected these dim bulbs.

I wonder who BB would have chosen between intelligent and talented Robert Woods, and Aaron Dobson. But Woods had been selected earlier in the 2nd round. Woods is just smaller overall, and I think BB would have still opted for Aaron.

Just because we didn't select them doesn't mean they are morons. I think Austin AND Hunter could become stars. Both great talents. Austin could be scary good, and do a lot for a team. Hunter has excellent abilities to be a top notch receiver. 11 years ago Belichick selected Bethel Johnson over Anquan Boldin, did Boldin suck or was he a moron because we selected Johnson. The only moron in that move was BB.

That being said, Dobson was one of my favorites prior to the draft, and I'm glad we drafted him, he's very talented and should add a good deep threat/red zone threat to a very good offense. He was my favorite Pat's draft pick.

Just because we didn't select them doesn't mean they are morons. I think Austin AND Hunter could become stars. Both great talents. Austin could be scary good, and do a lot for a team. Hunter has excellent abilities to be a top notch receiver. 11 years ago Belichick selected Bethel Johnson over Anquan Boldin, did Boldin suck or was he a moron because we selected Johnson. The only moron in that move was BB.
I don't know anything about Boldin's conceived intelligence pre-draft, but I do know that a lot of people would have been really upset had the team picked a guy who ran a 4.7 40.

I don't know anything about Boldin's conceived intelligence pre-draft, but I do know that a lot of people would have been really upset had the team picked a guy who ran a 4.7 40.

Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63. So what. Everyone and their mother's (probably even Bethel Johnson's also) had Anquan Boldin rated higher than Bethel ******* Johnson (my nickname for him from draft day). Anquan was rated no lower than a 2nd round pick. I would have been thrilled if we had drafted him, he was definitely on my radar, and probably everyone else's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes