PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A. Samuel: "Belichick doesn't have a personality"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsfanin Philly

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Most guys speak highly of someone who drafted you, mentored you and gave the opportunity to make millions of bucks...you want personality? I can name plenty of former coaches with 'personality' who don't win. I'll take BB thanks...

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080813_Eagles_Notes___Asante_Samuel_on_Andy_Reid.html

Asante Samuel on Andy Reid

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Sure, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has more Super Bowl rings than Eagles coach Andy Reid, but your hometown team has the guy with more personality.

Just ask cornerback Asante Samuel, who spent five seasons with Belichick before signing with the Eagles in February.

"You know Bill doesn't have a personality," Samuel said after he practiced for the third straight day and talked for the first time at training camp. "So Andy wins that."

Some would argue that Reid is also lacking in the personality department.

"Not much," Samuel said. "But Bill doesn't give you anything."

Samuel certainly has respect for Reid.

"He's led this team to a Super Bowl, went to the NFC championship a couple times, so he definitely knows what he's doing and he's put a good program together,

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: A. Samuel " Belichick doesn't have a personality"

Belichick has no personality ? Damn. That's a game changer there - we all need to find a new team to root for based on this. Thanks Asante :rolleyes:

I dunno, I'd wanna see the context of the conversation and the tone in which he said it. I'm as critical of Asante as anyone, but I get the feeling this wasn't meant as a dig. More of a joking conversational piece.

I dunno, I'd wanna see the context of the conversation and the tone in which he said it. I'm as critical of Asante as anyone, but I get the feeling this wasn't meant as a dig. More of a joking conversational piece.

Agreed, especially since he was dishing it out a little to Reid too.

The way he said "you know" makes it sound like it could have been a little tongue in cheek based on public perception. Not that it matters, Samuel left so he's dead to me now.

Re: A. Samuel " Belichick has no personality"

Interesting..frankly..I hope he's a bust there..what I hate about greedy SOBs..that go for the green..then say things like that..pretty classless...I don't think he gets it..but that is OK..if personality is what he wishes for..there are plenty like that..I think this shows more about him than anything..and what is seen is not good. .

Re: A. Samuel " Belichick has no personality"

I won't critize the dead-to-me here because so often attempts at humor fail to come across as intended in print. He coulda been just poking good fun at his HCs.

Haha. Bill has SB rings, commands respect, turns wash-outs into veterans with career reboots and low drafts into stars (ahem, Asante). We have sit in angst over the PUP list and we never know just what the heck he is looking at in practice. Bill is the evil overlord of football domination. Long live Darth Bill!

Most guys speak highly of someone who drafted you, mentored you and gave the opportunity to make millions of bucks...you want personality? I can name plenty of former coaches with 'personality' who don't win. I'll take BB thanks...

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080813_Eagles_Notes___Asante_Samuel_on_Andy_Reid.html

Asante Samuel on Andy Reid

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Sure, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has more Super Bowl rings than Eagles coach Andy Reid, but your hometown team has the guy with more personality.

Just ask cornerback Asante Samuel, who spent five seasons with Belichick before signing with the Eagles in February.

"You know Bill doesn't have a personality," Samuel said after he practiced for the third straight day and talked for the first time at training camp. "So Andy wins that."

Some would argue that Reid is also lacking in the personality department.

"Not much," Samuel said. "But Bill doesn't give you anything."

Samuel certainly has respect for Reid.

"He's led this team to a Super Bowl, went to the NFC championship a couple times, so he definitely knows what he's doing and he's put a good program together,

Somewhere in Foxboro Bill Belichick is reading that with a grin on his face.

Agreed. It was humor with certain "givens".
DW Toys

Asante's just kissing butt.
I hear he's not doing too well in camp.
Might not be true but...

Maybe it was said with a bit of humor..and maybe that context was missed..but on the other hand..wouldn't he wish to not give ammunition out like that? Or maybe he has his money and does not care?? Will be interesting in what more he says..on the surface it doesn't look good...but really do you think fans care?? I mean..yes a bit..but in the larger picture..he's got his money and is history...

Last edited:

Am I the only one who really doesn't see anything insulting here? I think Bill makes a concerted effort to check emotion at the door for his team and his "coaching persona" does not have a personality. And I'm guessing that is really the only persona the players get to see.

I think we need to take it easy around here on trying to paint pictures of former Patriots, Samuel was an incredible Patriot and would be a fool not to take the money offered to him (especially to a team that is as often a competitor in their conference as the Patriots in this decade). I wish him all the best.

I'm sure Samuel is joking playing on the public perceptions of Belichick. Even if he is serious, who cares? Who wants the head coach of their favorite NFL team to be buddy-buddy with his players. Didn't we already suffer through that with Pete Carroll? I am not "jacked and pumped" to see another coach like him again to coach the Patriots.

Let the demonizing begin!

My guess is that the reporter was asking leading questions to Samuels, based on public perception of BB. He was probably hoping to get some big juicy gossip from a player who he felt had an axe to grind because his old team wouldn't pay him what he wanted. Samuels gave the question a shrug of the shoulder, matter of fact answer that didn't appear to contain any venom. The reporter was unable to run a 'big story' with a blaring headline, but he still had a column to fill so he went with what little he had to fill space.

My guess is that the reporter was asking leading questions to Samuels, based on public perception of BB. He was probably hoping to get some big juicy gossip from a player who he felt had an axe to grind because his old team wouldn't pay him what he wanted. Samuels gave the question a shrug of the shoulder, matter of fact answer that didn't appear to contain any venom. The reporter was unable to run a 'big story' with a blaring headline, but he still had a column to fill so he went with what little he had to fill space.

Reminds me of all the journalists on ESPN......

I hope Asante is a bust there too.

I want to fuel the perception that the players are good because Belichick makes them good.

I know this perception sucks for current Patriots. On the other hand, it helps keep our team together.

David Givens, Deion Branch, Asante Samuel, etc.

You want to overpay for a Patriot? Go ahead. I dare ya.

Sure Pete Carroll had a great personality and what did that get him? - like a 12-40 record here at NE?

AS comment speaks volumes of how much he respects BB.

Of course he is going to be asked by the local media how his new coach compares to his old. And because he is a professional football player, playing a TEAM sport, he can not without becoming a cancer on his new team say, "Well, camp is much less organized, coaching is not nearly as clear, the play book not as well organized, lots of wasted time" or anything else highly critical of his new team. He MUST say things that are positive about the new team.

And what is the best he can say about Reid in comparison of BB -- he has more personality. This is the equivalent of asking your friend who is setting you up with a blind date and you ask if she is hot and he responds, "she has a nice personality." You know right there and then she brown paper bag ugly.

What AS said was that their is no comparison in the coaches, in the only way he could without being labeled a cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes