PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

POLL: If Belichick Pulled an Andy Reid, Would You Want Him To Stay?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If Belichick said, "I just want to coach" - Would you want him to stay?

• Yes

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 34.8%

• Total voters
I want him to stay, period. This forum needs a thread for all the enlightened posters to display their football acumen and tell us who they want for a new coach. No BS - lay it right out there so we can all see what great coaching talent prognosticators we have on this forum.
All they have is Vrabel and Mayo.

Both schooled by BB.

Yes we must extinguish that philosophy that has won more than anyone else ever has.
Once upon a time I didn't believe it, but the past several seasons have told me that Belichick was always great at defense and bad at offense. Now he just doesn't have Brady to cover for him. Yes, the defense is fine. It should be when it gets the lion's share of draft picks every year. Offense is horrid and special teams are too. Mr. every phase of the game has been talking a good game as he lets two of the three phases go down the toilet. Time for a change.

If Bill Belichick pulled an Andy Reid - who if I recall (and just noticed Albert Breer also brought it up last night on NBC Sports Boston) removed himself from this when he left Philadelphia - and said, "I'm done scouting and sitting in personnel meetings, let someone else deal with that. I like teaching and just want to coach," would you want him to stay?

Yes. He’s the best game strategist in football. He’s also the best game management coach in football. I don’t always agree with the playcallling, but it’s hard to know who s making what decision in that regard, but in particular I don’t like his unwillingness to go for it on 4 th downs, especially when they are behind late in games. But I have never seen a coach better at negating a team’s strength, and forcing them to beat you with their weaknesses.

My problem with Belichick is free agency, more than anything else. I think he is usually looking for the best deal, instead of the best player, and I think that’s a bad approach to it. He does make some good surprise big moves, like the Judon decision, but he’s also whiffed on them, like Adaliys Thomas, although I don’t know anyone who didn’t love that signing when he made it. I would also like Groh and Wolf in charge of the draft decisions. But overall I think Belichick just coaching would be the best decision, I just don’t know if he would agree with that. On the other hand I don’t think he would really want to start over at another franchise with the prospect of having to run all of their football operations, and doubt most owners would want to give him that responsibility at this point. But he could be scary in a place like San Diego if he just went there as their coach.

I would laugh my ass off if Brady ended up being an owner of the Raiders with Belichick coaching them.

I just don't see how it would work. I just can't see BB giving up control of the roster. I am afraid he would be still mandating certain STs players over offensive players and defensive players over offensive players. Do we really think his philosophy of roster building will change? He has always believed in a roster of middle-class players over star players. Who is this person who is going to overrule BB? I just cant see it.
Absolutely agree. When you see Bill loyalists like Rodney saying maybe it's time for the organization to make changes the then you know it's time. Even with adequate QB play this roster isn't built to win in the modern NFL. The only person or people who can overrule him is ownership.

Yes. He’s the best game strategist in football. He’s also the best game management coach in football. I don’t always agree with the playcallling, but it’s hard to know who s making what decision in that regard, but in particular I don’t like his unwillingness to go for it on 4 th downs, especially when they are behind late in games. But I have never seen a coach better at negating a team’s strength, and forcing them to beat you with their weaknesses.

My problem with Belichick is free agency, more than anything else. I think he is usually looking for the best deal, instead of the best player, and I think that’s a bad approach to it. He does make some good surprise big moves, like the Judon decision, but he’s also whiffed on them, like Adaliys Thomas, although I don’t know anyone who didn’t love that signing when he made it. I would also like Groh and Wolf in charge of the draft decisions. But overall I think Belichick just coaching would be the best decision, I just don’t know if he would agree with that. On the other hand I don’t think he would really want to start over at another franchise with the prospect of having to run all of their football operations, and doubt most owners would want to give him that responsibility at this point. But he could be scary in a place like San Diego if he just went there as their coach.

I would laugh my ass off if Brady ended up being an owner of the Raiders with Belichick coaching them.
The big difference if Bill went to another organization is he wouldn't have the full autonomy that he has here. He of course would be given ample room to build his staff, but I don't see the spanos family for example allowing him to compile a staff the way he has now. They are going to want to see the version of bill we saw for the better part of 19 seasons. I agree the AD signing at that time was awesome! However I personally feel judon was better. So in summary unless bill has it the way it's been in NE I doubt he'd go elsewhere and have the sustainable success. Father time comes for us all.

Absolutely not. Everything ends. The time is now. No interest in repeat of the last four seasons.
Agreed. So I thought of something when TB12 left.. there were supposedly potential suitors 3 I believe. However I remember reading that teams were concerned about his age that's what shyed away teams. The same with Bill, if and when he leaves the organization teams will likely be interested. However when the dust settles the age will be a factor.

I want him to stay, period. This forum needs a thread for all the enlightened posters to display their football acumen and tell us who they want for a new coach. No BS - lay it right out there so we can all see what great coaching talent prognosticators we have on this forum.

I’m not paid $25 million a year to win 4 (or 5) games and destroy an offense.

I’m not paid $25 million a year to win 4 (or 5) games and destroy an offense.
Bill Walsh didn't get a lifetime contract, Lombardi, Landry, Shula, Gibbs.. the common denominator in all those great men is it all ended. The organizations hired other coaches it will happen here as well.

I think the best thing for BB is to move to the front office in some sort of football operations type deal, where he could be available to the Coaches on the field and offer various insights. Allow him to be removed from the rigors of long days and nights of coaching and dealing with the press.
This man should be revered forever for what has done in the pats 20+ years... to let his football brain move on to somewhere else is an injustice to the Patriots and the GOAT coach.

I think the best thing for BB is to move to the front office in some sort of football operations type deal, where he could be available to the Coaches on the field and offer various insights. Allow him to be removed from the rigors of long days and nights of coaching and dealing with the press.
This man should be revered forever for what has done in the pats 20+ years... to let his football brain move on to somewhere else is an injustice to the Patriots and the GOAT coach.

The front office stuff is the stuff he does worst though. The thing he’d be best at is literally demoting himself to defensive coordinator but there’s no chance that would ever happen nor should it.

This has run its course. He can be a head coach somewhere else.

I think it’s the opposite. I think Kraft should give him the option to keep coaching, but have Wolf and Groh in charge of personnel. Although looking at their OL decisions this year, and the story about Klemm and Groh have me a little concerned about him. That’s a unit you have to get right. Ironically that’s always been a strength for their drafting,

The big difference if Bill went to another organization is he wouldn't have the full autonomy that he has here. He of course would be given ample room to build his staff, but I don't see the spanos family for example allowing him to compile a staff the way he has now. They are going to want to see the version of bill we saw for the better part of 19 seasons. I agree the AD signing at that time was awesome! However I personally feel judon was better. So in summary unless bill has it the way it's been in NE I doubt he'd go elsewhere and have the sustainable success. Father time comes for us all.

I think the most compelling reasons Belichick could choose to stay in a coaching role is 1) The amount of work it would take to put in place an entire football operation is huge, especially at his age. 2) It’s doubtful any franchise is going to give him total control at this point, so why not do the same job here?

I think the most compelling reasons Belichick could choose to stay in a coaching role is 1) The amount of work it would take to put in place an entire football operation is huge, especially at his age. 2) It’s doubtful any franchise is going to give him total control at this point, so why not do the same job here?
Bill said in his own words there is no way he could do everything on his own. I believe he's conceded alot of duties already. Outsiders looking in are looking at what he has accomplished. Suitors will want that version of Bill. Not the recent version. If he chose to stay he'd likely have a smaller contract not 25 million I have a hard time seeing him give up $$ Bills a smart Calculated man.

I would say the GM and O'Brien should be the ones in charge of staffing the coaches on the offensive side of the ball. They need to improve that and build continuity to weather any departures moving forward, along with also incentivizing guys to stick around rather than seeing so many of them bail at the first opportunity. I feel like there's also a reason behind that we're all probably unaware of.
Boy those goalposts moved fast. Went from not sitting in personnel meetings to only coaching a third of the team in just a few posts. I’m assuming DC means no ST as well as no OC Meetings.

recipe for disaster, IMO. Maybe, or probably, worst of all possibilies.

ATM I still think keeping Bill is best prospect for success sooner rather than later. Restructure so he’s not GM or at least delegates personnel matters. Keep him as HC. If he’s not HC he shouldn’t be here, and I think that hurts the team.

so, as stated in OP, keep him.

as subsequently amended to further hamstring him, NFW.

I would say the GM and O'Brien should be the ones in charge of staffing the coaches on the offensive side of the ball. They need to improve that and build continuity to weather any departures moving forward, along with also incentivizing guys to stick around rather than seeing so many of them bail at the first opportunity. I feel like there's also a reason behind that we're all probably unaware of.
We are going to get rid of BB for an unknown GM and Bill O'Brien? Yegads!!!

I'm pretty sure if BB goes the Krafts need to clean house completely. New GM, New head coach etc. Just sweep that place all clean and then sterilize it with bleach.

The front office stuff is the stuff he does worst though. The thing he’d be best at is literally demoting himself to defensive coordinator but there’s no chance that would ever happen nor should it.

This has run its course. He can be a head coach somewhere else.
I think Bill has evolved over the years because you have to in order to remain at the top where we were. But what I don't think changed enough was his philosophy with drafting offensive skill position players.

We are the fans, we love our team, we support our team. However RK made a lot of money before he bought a football team by making smart decisions. Ownership knows better than anyone what's best for the future of thier franchise. So alot will tell after Monday. We'll see

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back