PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts..... I just want to say.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a great point Mike, and could explain why we seem to keep adding DBs and DLmen at the expense of LBs.
That's because of the injuries to the defensive backs and now defensive lineman. When McCourty went down, the New England Patriots defense was forced to go big nickel since Wilhite was unavailable.

New England Patriots Roster at NFL.com

The Patriots have a number of defensive backs on injured reserve:

Barrett
Bodden
Lockett
McGowan

That's because of the injuries to the defensive backs and now defensive lineman. When McCourty went down, the New England Patriots defense was forced to go big nickel since Wilhite was unavailable.

New England Patriots Roster at NFL.com

The Patriots have a number of defensive backs on injured reserve:

Barrett
Bodden
Lockett
McGowan

With respect, that's not the point. It's not about the number of safeties versus the number of cornerbacks but about the number of defensive backs in relation to linemen and linebackers.

Here are the number from the Jets game.

CB Kyle Arrington -- 65 of 65
S Brandon Meriweather -- 64 of 65
CB Devin McCourty -- 62 of 65
CB Darius Butler -- 42 of 65
S James Sanders -- 36 of 65
S Jarrad Page -- 28 of 65
S Patrick Chung -- 26 of 65

That's an average of 4.97 defensive backs per snap. In other words, for every snap in which the Patriots are in a "base" 4-3 with four defensive b backs, there is another in which they have six defensive backs on the field.

The message is that the base defense is now some form of nickel. That can't fail to have consequences for the linebackers (and, I think, the line). I'd be interested in hearing others' observations.

With respect, that's not the point. It's not about the number of safeties versus the number of cornerbacks but about the number of defensive backs in relation to linemen and linebackers.

Here are the number from the Jets game.

CB Kyle Arrington -- 65 of 65
S Brandon Meriweather -- 64 of 65
CB Devin McCourty -- 62 of 65
CB Darius Butler -- 42 of 65
S James Sanders -- 36 of 65
S Jarrad Page -- 28 of 65
S Patrick Chung -- 26 of 65

That's an average of 4.97 defensive backs per snap. In other words, for every snap in which the Patriots are in a "base" 4-3 with four defensive b backs, there is another in which they have six defensive backs on the field.

The message is that the base defense is now some form of nickel. That can't fail to have consequences for the linebackers (and, I think, the line). I'd be interested in hearing others' observations.
When you blow out an opponent 45-3, would you not expect the opposition to pass as opposed to run to get back in the game?

the first 2 pages of this thread are kind of fascinating.

When you blow out an opponent 45-3, would you not expect the opposition to pass as opposed to run to get back in the game?

Is that what you saw watching the game? Did the Patriots switch from 4 DBs to 6 in the second half against both the Jets and Chicago? I'd be interested in any evidence.

Is that what you saw watching the game? Did the Patriots switch from 4 DBs to 6 in the second half against both the Jets and Chicago? I'd be interested in any evidence.
At the start of the second half of the New England Patriots - Chicago Bears game, the network switched to the Miami Dolphins - NY Jets game in the Houston, TX area. Did the Chicago Bears go to three wide receiver sets in the second half?

At the start of the second half of the New England Patriots - Chicago Bears game, the network switched to the Miami Dolphins - NY Jets game in the Houston, TX area. Did the Chicago Bears go to three wide receiver sets in the second half?

The Jets had a balanced pass-run all through the game. I don't remember what the Bears had in the second half and I don't have the game recorded. But a certain poster has just started another thread that the defensive snaps show that the Patriots were more worried about Chicago's run game than the pass. :confused:

always look forward to these and keep em coming.

I had faith in this young team to be a good solid productive team and for people to have to beat us but i never thought we would be as good as we are.. BB and TB have had outstanding years to date.

Crumpler has been one of the best FA pick ups i have seen on this team and is exactly what this team needed. A guy who has been around been to pro bows but is accepting a team role on this team and it's paying off. So there is someone actually being a role model not a cancer a la springs and adalius

I think there's a key element missing there, and it's the one that separates the 2010 Patriots from the 2009 Patriots. It's a roster full of guys with the right team attitude. It's the mindset of an Alge Crumpler vs. a Chris Baker, or a Deion Branch vs. a Randy Moss. It's the work ethic of a class of rookies who were almost all college team captains. BB molded a team that would be responsive to his coaching and Brady's leadership, and it has made all the difference.

I think this is something that i have heard other teams fans laugh at pats fans before but i don't think they truly get.

When we say we have the right attitude and work hard and want it e.t.c we aren't saying that your team doesn't want it or they don't work... but it is the difference between and Alge Crumpler and a baker... i am sure both worked hard and both wanted to win, But Alge is a mentor and has had such an impact he was made captain in his 1st season... like it or not that is the difference and it is a big one when you try and fill a team with guys like Alge.

Building a team ....

That's why I laugh when I think back to the NFLN guys before the Jets game, going literally position-by-position to show that the Jets were better everywhere (they kindly conceded QB).

please tell me someone has a video of that... i would love to see it

hahah yeah i went and searched for that myself too.

I loved how he doesn't even qualify any of that he just says it.

pats have better safeties

pats have better te's

pats in my opinion have the better line (maybe this ones a wash)

But he says it like it's gospel that the jets are better everywhere... yeeeetttt never backed it up with a prediction. it was music to my ears even he didn't believe his own ****

..... The law of high expectations.

So while I have forgotten this valuable lesson, clearly BB has not, and its shown. And as Brady so eloquently stated (and I paraphrase) "the coach doesn't let us worry about the weather, the refs, or the crowd, all we have to do is worry about playing the Bears...and JUST the Bears. That is the kind of focus that explains why the Pats have lost almost as as many players as teams like the Colts and Steelers, yet you never hear injuries as a factor when the media is talking about the Pats. Other teams have to OVERCOME injuries, the Pats simply deal with them....and move on. The next guys just steps up and is expected to perform. The law of high expectations.

Firstly, very nice write up.

Secondly, watch this video:
NFL Videos: Playbook: Patriots vs. Bears recap

Towards the middle of the video, the analyst makes the exact same point as you did about expectations (when he talks about the "wet ball", I LOL'd when he imitated BB :D). I thought that was very interesting.

Apologies if anyone else has already pointed this out.

Firstly, very nice write up.

Secondly, watch this video:
NFL Videos: Playbook: Patriots vs. Bears recap

Towards the middle of the video, the analyst makes the exact same point as you did about expectations (when he talks about the "wet ball", I LOL'd when he imitated BB :D). I thought that was very interesting.

Apologies if anyone else has already pointed this out.

Yup, I loved that - - That was an understated and dead-on BB imitation. He even does the tic and shoulder shrug with cupped hands out. The only thing missing was the twirling of the whistle rope! :D

That was Mike Mayock, who I think played under BB years ago in either NY or Cle. He has an "in" with him and has had better than average access to our guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye