PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A big quandry ahead with O-Line plans next year:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look. If you get 2 pro-caliber bodies on the OL, it not only helps Brady, but also puts in play better run game.

YES, you need the running game.

Spend the $$. No more cheaping out.

On the personnel side, it's become clear that extending Cannon was q mistake. You can find a better RT on the waiver wire. Pats need to get a new tackle, one way or another. Can't rely on either starter to stay healthy, and dunno how long Solder will be here.

All the injuries leading to numerous combinations along the OL all season wrecked chemistry and consistency. This was an extraordinary season for injuries. THAT was the problem more than personnel.

I wonder if the Pats go after RT Mitchell Schwartz (Browns UFA)

Might be too expensive though.

Look. If you get 2 pro-caliber bodies on the OL, it not only helps Brady, but also puts in play better run game.

YES, you need the running game.

Spend the $$. No more cheaping out.

With the D lines in the AFCE, the Oline needs to be a top priority.

I'll bring this up. This guy is considering retirement and is owed $7m by the Bucs next year. A lot of money for an older player who isn't playing at an elite level anymore.

Bucs' Logan Mankins considering retirement

If he's cut and doesn't retire.... Any chance the Pats and Mankins could bury the hatchet on a 1-year "cheap" contract ~$3 -$4m range or so)? Would he even help at this point in his career?

Mankins may become rejuvinated here.
Hey Branch did it
Here is a dream offseason
Marshawn Lynch,
Ladarius Green
Calvin Johnson
O line o line o line
And a huge maybe pick up Mario Williams
Here me out hes already made a ton of money he hates Rex and prefers the 4-3
May want a shot at a ring and a chance to face Rex twice a season.

All the injuries leading to numerous combinations along the OL all season wrecked chemistry and consistency. This was an extraordinary season for injuries. THAT was the problem more than personnel.
Though that's not to say that some Depth in the personnel couldn't be added.

Ladarius Green.
Oh ffs how many failed TE projects will it take here for us to realize that the 2 TE offense we had is dead and never will come back?

And for good reason, might I add. It failed us in big games when we ran our offense around it.

The defense is our biggest strength however I woudnt mind another stud on the d line.
If we can get a little quicker on the defense that be awesome as well.

We need to find 2 more players with Jamie Collins speed.
There has to be some players on a bench somewhere with that kind of talent and just needs coached up.

Oh ffs how many failed TE projects will it take here for us to realize that the 2 TE offense we had is dead and never will come back?

And for good reason, might I add. It failed us in big games when we ran our offense around it.
Im not suggesting bringing Obreins whole playbook back but to sprinkle it in.

The defense is our biggest strength however I woudnt mind another stud on the d line.

There has to be some players on a bench somewhere with that kind of talent and just needs coached up.
Really I think our line will be good to go as long as we re-up Hicks.

Im not suggesting bringing Obreins whole playbook back but to sprinkle it in.
My issue is I think Green will command too much money. I think he's a guy seen to have a lot of potential. I'm just getting tired of seeing these overhyped TE's fail as our #2 TE's in our system.

I think this year essentially killed the idea of a subpackage linebacker. You're not getting Jamie Collins speed at LB unless you give up 25 pounds, and at that point they'll just put Chung in the box and Harmon back deep.

Does any blame lie with the O-Line coach? Is Deguglielmo good enough? I don't know, but Scar always seemed to find a way to coach up the o-line. I didn't see much evidence of that this year.
Are you asking whether he failed by getting two starters injured (Solder and Wendell)?

I don't think the problem was lack of if-healthy talent except at backup tackle. Cannon and Fleming both disappointed.

I would be more aggressive about bringing back Wendell than I would have been had things gone better, but otherwise I'd say that the needed personnel move is an upgrade at backup OT.
We could use an a running back. in additional to Lewis.

D line is the last of the issues. If you can't have an o-line that can look the d-lineman and say you aren't beating me..over and over again then winning will be tenuous at best. Face it. Next schedule isn't very nice and unless they get some serious help it will be treacherous. These guys don't have "it". It was painfully obvious today. Coaching is one thing. Double teaming a guy while Von Miller just cruises right on by isn't coaching. It's awareness.

I dont beleive Gug is completely off the hook for blame.
But the injuries have been insane.
Lets hope for a healthy year for Solder and Stork, a bounce back year from Volmer.
Lets hope Mason takes his game to another level
As well as Jackson improving.
That being said however thats alot of hoping.

The O-line was absolutely horrid (from start to finish) this year. It wouldn't be surprising if Dave DeGugliemo gets replaced as O-line coach.

The O-line was absolutely horrid (from start to finish) this year. It wouldn't be surprising if Dave DeGugliemo gets replaced as O-line coach.
The coaching and lineman are both at fault for this season. It's not like there is a ray of light anywhere to be found on that line. Arguably, it is the ONLY weakness of the team heading into the offseason. Sure, a good running back and replacement for Lafell would help matters, but all the problems this year start with the offensive line. I hope they pursue replacements through free agency and the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back