PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 starters and 3 captains set to hit the free agent market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not worried at all. Expect to retain Revis and DMac.

Wilfork is not worth his contract and most probably wants to see if he can get one last payday somewhere else. He had a mediocre 2014, which a year after his big injury was nothing short of amazing but the reality is that he was not worth the 8m last year.

Vereen is just the normal churn that we have at flexback. And Connoly can be replaced through the draft.

Dont see much reason to panic just yet. Have trust in the people that brought us Edelman at 4/17m or LaFell at 3/9m.

Normal churn at flex back? Wasn't it Faulk for a hundred seasons, wood head then Vereen? (I generally agree with your post)

The nfl would almost be a snore without the salary cap. Half the fun is fussing over the roster, the other half is the games themselves.

Revis I do not understand, why put a $25M number on year 2 and let it get to this point? Now we will have $5M in dead money against the cap even if we sign him later in the offseason.
So you're proposing that they should have given him a 1 year, $12M contract with a clause against the franchise tag and none of this $5M dead money or $20M second year business?

Forget about Revis 5m. Its gtd. Doesnt matter if we cut and resign him or if we extend him now, the new money will be the same.

My issue is the same this offseason as it was last, and I'm not saying it is the case, I don't know I just see things portray as if nobody is doing things until the last minute and it's already to late.

I get why it makes folks nervous to see their team waiting and having to make these tough choices that could potentially leave the team weak at some positions. But because you had these same concerns last year and everything worked out as it did, it seems like you should trust in BB to take care of business as he usually does. I tell my friends, who are fans of other teams, all the time that even when it looks concerning to the Pats in the off-season that it is easy being a Patriots fan with BB at the helm. He knows what he is doing way more often than not and I don't ever feel the need to second guess him.

Forget about Revis 5m. Its gtd. Doesnt matter if we cut and resign him or if we extend him now, the new money will be the same.

This. Last year cap hit for Revis was 7m. This is part deux of getting Revis.

Normal churn at flex back? Wasn't it Faulk for a hundred seasons, wood head then Vereen? (I generally agree with your post)

Yes if you want to go back to Faulk then you are right.

I was referring to the more recent trend of Woodhead => Vereen =>??

If any of the above would have taken a lower Pats offer then we might have had Faulk-esque stability there as well.

Wow this thread was painful to read at times but I read it.

For me it's ,"In BB I Trust" !

If I could do it better I would have a job with a NFL team

I can't even imagine how bad this team would be if Belichick panicked the way so many fans do.

Sure you can - just look at most of the other teams. The Eagles are starting to smell like it now.

Doesn't really make any difference. Revis not being considered a FA is a technicality at this point unless you think they are going to pay him $25M. My concerned remains the same.
I "agreed" until I noticed that you truly don't understand the difference between "pay" and "cap".

The patriots paid $12M for the 2014 services. The structure allowed the patriots to account for the $12M in two parts ($7M and $5M). The structure also include a $12M 2015 bonus to prevent the patriots from franchising Revis, which would have been a huge bargain for the patriots.

The patriots do have the right to pay Revis $20M (NOT $25M) for his 2105 services. It was anticipated by everyone that this amount would be so huge that it would not even be considered, and that is still likely the case.

I'm right about the things I say on this board more than 99.9% of the posters on here

Cause I'm not trolling around this board talking **** about you like a 12 year old.

ROFL

This should be a sticky and come up before every one of your posts to give any unsuspecting lurker some perspective in viewing what follows.

Exactly how many players in the Belichick era have we lost to free agency that

we should have paid more to keep ... this thread wreaks of homerist paranoia ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The depth in our roster was a factor through the playoffs ... cannot have great depth when overpaying some players. As to McCourty ... a very good player who appeared excellant this year due to the Revis factor

BY DEFINITION, if Belichick chose to lose a player, then the player wasn't worth keeping.

Isn't this argument a bit circular?

Sure you can - just look at most of the other teams. The Eagles are starting to smell like it now.

Wasn't PHI 10-6 and have just uses some of their $50M of cap room in improving their secondary.

The market is the market. For the patriots and the saints, every million is critical. We're over the cap. For teams that are over $40M under the cap, they need to spend the cap money to improve the team. Paying a bit extra when you are $46M over the cap really isn't the same as overpaying when you are $4M over.

BY DEFINITION, if Belichick chose to lose a player, then the player wasn't worth keeping.

Isn't this argument a bit circular?
I dont think he was dictating that opinion, but rather asking for examples of it.

Wasn't PHI 10-6 and have just uses some of their $50M of cap room in improving their secondary.

The market is the market. For the patriots and the saints, every million is critical. We're over the cap. For teams that are over $40M under the cap, they need to spend the cap money to improve the team. Paying a bit extra when you are $46M over the cap really isn't the same as overpaying when you are $4M over.
Over paying is over paying whether you signed the contract yesterday or 5 years ago.
The Eagles are 50 mill under the cap because they lack players.

I dont think he was dictating that opinion, but rather asking for examples of it.
fair enough

However, given the success of the patriots, it seems unreasonable to point at individual decisions that could have made us better.

Over paying is over paying whether you signed the contract yesterday or 5 years ago.
The Eagles are 50 mill under the cap because they lack players.

I guess we disagree here.

I don't think that there is absolute scale. I think that "overpaying" depends on the market in which the transaction was made.

Also, different positions are worth more to some teams than to others.

Finally, I do believe that teams often can be considered to overpay in the first week or so. Some teams choose to almost never participate in this early free agent market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes