PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Season Moot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think DEN is going to go after a WR in the draft? I don't know enough about his game but can Sanders fill the role Decker vacated?

Sanders can play outside but is really more of a slot guy, i do think they will add a bigger WR in the mid rounds. It's all about Peyton so they will always overload at receiver. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a TE fairly high and a WR.

I'm still not convinced that he was so injured that he couldn't have came back into the game. Dennard didn't seem to think so either.

Relax.
Now that Talib is not playing for a new big contract, he'll grit out any playoff thigh bruise and stay in and play

Do you think DEN is going to go after a WR in the draft? I don't know enough about his game but can Sanders fill the role Decker vacated?

I am guessing if they go after a receiver, it won't be until later rounds. They have too many other needs to take one early.

I really hope the broncos sign Vince Young and he calls them the "Dream Team"

I'm looking forward to the stories of how it's the year for the Jets, or Bills or Dolphin's to overtake the Patriots in the AFC East

Even outside of us, one other team I would not count out in the AFC to contend for the AFC would be Indianapolis. Their defense still has its patchy areas, but they have one scary passing attack on offense right now. Same would go to San Diego if their secondary wasn't so putrid.

I'm looking forward to the stories of how it's the year for the Jets, or Bills or Dolphin's to overtake the Patriots in the AFC East
Most likely any day now. :rolleyes:

In seriousness is there anyone we should have any concerns about being even somewhat of a threat this year? I'm definitely not seeing it.

Most likely any day now. :rolleyes:

In seriousness is there anyone we should have any concerns about being even somewhat of a threat this year? I'm definitely not seeing it.

There's a future for you at the Rocky Mountain News

Revis island helps all...watch on mr noodle arms

The Broncos do not need a WR who can stretch the field. With Manning's arm, that is a waste of skills. What they need is a big receiver who can go up for the ball and catch the ducks that Manning throws. Manning is still smart enough and has a quick enough release to hit the open guy, but he cannot throw the ball down the field.

For a guy who throws so many lame ducks, he certainly had quite an effective season for a QB last year, so it's probably a bit overstated. Their offensive scheme does a great job of hiding his weakness in that regard.

Sometimes the homerism "Manning isn't any good anymore" gets taken a bit too far. While they may/may not make it back to the SB, they'll most likely be an 11+ win team who poses quite a challenge to their AFC competitors.

Last edited:
Interesting isn't it? Pal says the Jets are poised to win the division then qualifies further into the piece the Jets will be competitive every week despite having a difficult schedule.

Outside of the odd excellent piece from notable sources "journalism" is incredibly crap these days.

I remember some of the ridiculous media attempts in the past several years, making themselves look stupid just to try and get some website hits.

The Sports Illustrated prediction that we'd go 8-0 at home, but somehow manage to go 1-7 (yes...1-7) on the road in last summer's NFL preview was one of the best.

I think BB might have started firing coaches midseason if the team was that unprepared to play on the road.

I think BB might have started firing coaches midseason if the team was that unprepared to play on the road.

Without a doubt. I seriously question the editor for being such a complete idiot that he allowed that prediction to go through to press. Who the hell honestly would think that the Patriots would go 1-7 on the road?

For a guy who throws so many lame ducks, he certainly had quite an effective season for a QB last year, so it's probably a bit overstated. Their offensive scheme does a great job of hiding his weakness in that regard.

Sometimes the homerism "Manning isn't any good anymore" gets taken a bit too far. While they may/may not make it back to the SB, they'll most likely be an 11+ win team who poses quite a challenge to their AFC competitors.

First, when did I ever say Manning isn't any good anymore? I said he overcame his physical limitations of not being able to throw the ball deep with his quick release and football smarts. That is what make Manning a great QB.

Second, I said in the post you quoted that they are don't need to go after a deep threat. Why would they go after a deep threat that plays into their QB's weaknesses? As you seem to agree with me that they are trying to build an offense to maximize Manning's strengths and hide his weaknesses, it would stupid to get a guy who can " stretch the field".

Third, what I said is that with Manning's age and neck, his decline in physical skills will eventually become too much for his other skills to overcome. That is a fact. I also said that it could happen this year or two or three years from now. I said that his physical skills make it a question mark until we see him throw this summer. Assuming he is going to remotely as good as he was last year may be a bit premature.

Why do you continue to twist my words. You are creating arguments I am not making.

We had similar argument last year where you said the Ravens wouldn't miss a beat and would be a strong Super Bowl contender and I said they wouldn't make the playoffs. You mocked me then too. Of course you twisted that into that I predicted their defense would suck when I said the offseason additions last year were overrated (see Rolando McClain, Chris Canty, and Marcus Spears) and their defense wouldn't be good enough to overcome their offense. I was right then. Time will tell if I am right now.

First, when did I ever say Manning isn't any good anymore? I said he overcame his physical limitations of not being able to throw the ball deep with his quick release and football smarts. That is what make Manning a great QB.

Second, I said in the post you quoted that they are don't need to go after a deep threat. Why would they go after a deep threat that plays into their QB's weaknesses? As you seem to agree with me that they are trying to build an offense to maximize Manning's strengths and hide his weaknesses, it would stupid to get a guy who can " stretch the field".

Third, what I said is that with Manning's age and neck, his decline in physical skills will eventually become too much for his other skills to overcome. That is a fact. I also said that it could happen this year or two or three years from now. I said that his physical skills make it a question mark until we see him throw this summer. Assuming he is going to remotely as good as he was last year may be a bit premature.

Why do you continue to twist my words. You are creating arguments I am not making.

We had similar argument last year where you said the Ravens wouldn't miss a beat and would be a strong Super Bowl contender and I said they wouldn't make the playoffs. You mocked me then too. Of course you twisted that into that I predicted their defense would suck when I said the offseason additions last year were overrated (see Rolando McClain, Chris Canty, and Marcus Spears) and their defense wouldn't be good enough to overcome their offense. I was right then. Time will tell if I am right now.

No one was trying to start an argument, Rob. Chill out, dude.

I implore you to re-read my small and basic response about Manning, because I think you are making way too big of a deal about nothing. There are tons of people on this board who constantly bring up Manning's "lame duck" arm, and yet he seems to do pretty well still, which was my point. I wasn't putting words in your mouth, you can look through this thread alone and see the implication that Manning somehow isn't as good. That wasn't necessarily in response to you, but more to the general thought of homerism. Another popular thought lately is that the DEN OL suddenly isn't any good, due to losing one player in Beadles. People forget that they played the entire year without their franchise LT Clady, so I attempted to clarify that misconception just the same as Manning being 1/2 as poor as some seem to claim. We're on a Patriots related board, so I certainly don't fault those who are fantasizing a bit. At the same time, you can't fault me for trying to keep it real either.

As far as my thoughts on the Ravens last year: I did not say that the Ravens wouldn't "miss a beat and would be a strong SB contender" at all. Talk about twisting words! As far as twisting your words now, I haven't responded to many of your posts, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. Either you are thinking of someone else, or you are generalizing a few instances here and there over the years. I am not known for "twisting words."

I said that you were making way too big of a deal about their losses on defense, and I was proven to be right. Their defense was significantly better last year--by far. I claimed that they very well could end up stronger due to their weak defense in 2012 when they won the SB. I said that they would end up right around the same record that we've known them to accomplish with a prediction of around 9-7, since that was what they won the SB with and have finished around recently. I also said many times that "if they played the season 3 times, we'd likely see 3 different division winners for the AFCN," so please...give credit where due, and let's not take this any further than you've already attempted to take it.

Last edited:
I remember some of the ridiculous media attempts in the past several years, making themselves look stupid just to try and get some website hits.

The Sports Illustrated prediction that we'd go 8-0 at home, but somehow manage to go 1-7 (yes...1-7) on the road in last summer's NFL preview was one of the best.

One of many reasons I stopped reading and paying attention to those rags years ago
Same goes for the pre-game TV shows

Without a doubt. I seriously question the editor for being such a complete idiot that he allowed that prediction to go through to press. Who the hell honestly would think that the Patriots would go 1-7 on the road?
I believe that was ESPN the Magazine. And they had NE winning week 1 in BUF then dropping 7 straight on the road and MIA winning the division.

This website is truly all you need for NFL information. I lurked here for years and just read all the threads to keep up with my Patriots/NFL info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents