PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Season Moot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've been jacked and pumped about the Pats' 2014 season given some improvement in FA and the return of key starters lost in 2013 and the forthcoming draft. Well at least I was until I listened to usually informative SIRIUS NFL radio today. The 1st guest was the Seahawks beat writer who I thought had a fair and of course optimistic assessment of the team and its 2014 chances. You should be on a high after winning the SB. Not overdone and a typical NFL radio fun listen. Nice 2015 salary cap recap.

Then onto the Denver beat writer. The hosts led off with Clady's statement that the Donks have a clear path back to the SB since there is no opposition on the horizon in the AFC. The writer of course agreed and worst of all, the hosts agreed. WTF? No AFC team even mentioned as a possible threat to February. Next, the hosts mentioned TJ Ward's statement that this 2014 Denver defense is "the best in the world". Some smidgen of sanity was interjected when they said last years' 24th rated D would only be a Top 10 NFL defense this year. Whew! Given this scenario, I guess I had better find lists of family activities and productive things to do for the next 10 months, as the die has clearly been cast. :(

And it's reasons like this that I can't wait for NE to drop DEN in the playoffs and hear all the excuses for Manning.

Go Pats!

Such unbridled enthusiasm is hard to recover from when the team's shortcomings start to appear and gain momentum. I would rather be cautiously optimistic or optimistically cautious as reality has a habit of smacking you in the face.

Last edited:
The losing team of a Superbowl often goes into a lengthy tailspin the following year. :D

It's at least as common for a team that lost a SB as badly as Denver lost to the Seahawks to miss the playoffs, than for a team that got embarrassed in the SB, to make it right back to playoffs the following year (nevermind the SB). Seattle gave the football world the blueprint for kicking Denver's butt. And it isn't just "have the appropriate players". Teams don't necessarily have to take several years to remake their rosters to have a chance. Denver's opponents are going to be applying lessons from the SB all year long. :)

And that's not even taking into account key injuries that could hit Denver, and NOT hit the Pats like last year. Lastly, even though the prediction didn't come from the Broncos themselves it's gonna rub opponents the wrong way. Too much hype and the Broncs with get perceived as "arrogant" and everyone likes to put a little extra into beating "arrogant" teams. The Broncos won't have to worry about giving opponents bulletin board material. The press will do it for them. :)

Much of that second paragraph goes for Seattle as well.

Can not stand beat writers that are homers.

Wilfork might have ruptured his Achilles tendon, but the Broncos have yet to solve their ongoing playoff problem with Achilles Forehead.

good for them. talking up a team does not add any points to any scoreboards. The reality of the situation is very different, however.

If we were healthy last year I feel we beat them (and we did in the regular season)... now we have made improvements in FA... if we can stay healthy with these improvements we will crush them

If we were healthy last year I feel we beat them (and we did in the regular season)... now we have made improvements in FA... if we can stay healthy with these improvements we will crush them

And remember Pats were down 24-0 at halftime in that one. And Belichick gave Manning the ball in OT.

And remember Pats were down 24-0 at halftime in that one. And Belichick gave Manning the ball in OT.

More like, "Hey, Manning. You can have the ball. . . . and I'll take the wind. Let's see if you can move the ball into the end zone, Horseface."

I wish to correct my opening statement. Here's what Clady actually said to the Denver Post, "But barring injuries we should have an awesome team, and we should be able to make it back to the Super Bowl."

I think that's fine. He should think that way.

On air the Denver reporter Mike Klis and the announcers implied that Clady said there was no AFC opposition as that's what they said specifically and agreed on it between themselves. Usually NFL Radio hosts are better than this. Effusive with praise but ask skeptical questions at the very least.

On air the Denver reporter Mike Klis and the announcers implied that Clady said there was no AFC opposition as that's what they said specifically and agreed on it between themselves. Usually NFL Radio hosts are better than this. Effusive with praise but ask skeptical questions at the very least.

Had a feeling it was that homer Klis.

This was the headline of one of his articles after the SB

Seahawks didn’t beat the Broncos’ “A” team in the Super Bowl

Which it was him gong on about the Broncos injuries.

I get the feeling if someone told him Broncos didn't beat the Pats "A" team in the AFCC he would contest that viewpoint.

Denver has Aqib Talib whose hip is fine but has a balky quad. With him manning the corner when it matters most, it's hard not to be overconfident. What?!? Talib's not there when it matters most? Talib can get knocked out of a game by a 190-pound slot receiver? Hey, the Patriots have one of those, and I bet he could learn how to cross-body block.

Denver has a soft end of the year schedule, but has to play the Colts, Seahawks, 49ers, Chiefs, Chargers and Patriots in the first 9 weeks. Smooth sailing.

I've been jacked and pumped about the Pats' 2014 season given some improvement in FA and the return of key starters lost in 2013 and the forthcoming draft. Well at least I was until I listened to usually informative SIRIUS NFL radio today. The 1st guest was the Seahawks beat writer who I thought had a fair and of course optimistic assessment of the team and its 2014 chances. You should be on a high after winning the SB. Not overdone and a typical NFL radio fun listen. Nice 2015 salary cap recap.

Then onto the Denver beat writer. The hosts led off with Clady's statement that the Donks have a clear path back to the SB since there is no opposition on the horizon in the AFC. The writer of course agreed and worst of all, the hosts agreed. WTF? No AFC team even mentioned as a possible threat to February. Next, the hosts mentioned TJ Ward's statement that this 2014 Denver defense is "the best in the world". Some smidgen of sanity was interjected when they said last years' 24th rated D would only be a Top 10 NFL defense this year. Whew! Given this scenario, I guess I had better find lists of family activities and productive things to do for the next 10 months, as the die has clearly been cast. :(

They lost a 1300 yard and 12 touchdown WR, a 1600 yard and 13 touchdown RB, a 10 sack DE, a 5.5 sack DE, a CB with the third lowest QB rating against in the NFL, and a Pro Bowl LG. They added an oft injured CB, an older DE coming off an injury, a box safety, a below average OC, and an average WR. Once you get past that and the fact they got humiliated in the Super Bowl, sure they have a clear path to this year’s Super Bowl. Heck we should just forfeit now.

I think people underestimate the loss of Eric Decker, Peyton Manning does not throw a tight football, he never has and he benefited from Thomas, Thomas, and Decker being 6’3” or taller.

If at any point Gronkowski returns to a reasonable level of health in 2014 and is available for a long playoff run, I find it difficult to believe the Broncos will cruise past New England with Revis on D. Both players are generational talents, both players force the opposition to plan around them and both players are difference makers.

The Broncos and Patriots are evenly matched. If Brady has his full compliment of skill position players, I trust Brady over Manning in the playoffs.

Giving P6 the ball in OT was the best part. You know the Pats haters were begging for him to shove it in BB's face.

I see it this way: The Denver media knows that the Broncos have 1 more shot at winning the Superbowl. They also realize that although Denver got to the big dance with some key injuries, they also beat a Patriots team that sustained an even greater amount of them than they did. The Denver mediots are so terrified of the 14' Pats, that they are making bogus claims in order to psyche themselves into thinking that another Superbowl berth will be a given :p.

I think people underestimate the loss of Eric Decker, Peyton Manning does not throw a tight football, he never has and he benefited from Thomas, Thomas, and Decker being 6’3” or taller.
Semi-off topic, but lest we forget, Decker is not a "made by Manning" receiver. He was good under Tebow. (Vick and CJ2K might be overrated, but the Jest did get 1 good one.)

I still think the Broncos have a lot of question marks which includes their QB. Manning despite having a historic year showed serious signs of decline in arm strength. I still think there is a tipping point where his other skills won't over come the decline in his arm strength. And not having Decker and his size hurts that too.

Favre had career year in his second to last season and came crashing down the next. Kurt Warner won the league MVP in his second to last season and was mediocre the next season. It is a really possibility that Manning takes a huge step back this year considering his age and neck surgeries.

The Broncos are a favorite in the AFC and most likely the front runner along with the Pats, but with their schedule and question marks I wouldn't be shocked if they went 10-6 this season. Or even worse if Manning hits the age/injury wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back