PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Patriots Offense: Championship Caliber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
9 reasons for major improvements for a #5 offense isn't bad at all. I do have two nitpicks.

#10 - THE OFFENSIVE LINE
The offensive line did NOT need to fire Mankins to give the linemen motivation. In the NFL, continued employment is a significant motivator. In addition, the patriots do not have a poor set of coaches that have trouble motivating their players.

#11 - WHITE GIVES US THE ABILITY TO RUN A TWO BACK OFFENSE
Let's start with the fact that I agree that we may very well run more 2-back sets. However they will likely be with 2 of Ridley, Vereen and Develin in the backfield (or even the Hooman. It is a healthy Vereen that gives us the abilities to run more 2 back sets.

I have seen nothing to convince me that White is more likely than Ridley or Vereen to be in a 2 back set. Also, I have not seen much to convince me that White is ahead of Bolden as the 4th back to be activated on Game Day. Of course, White could be activated as a KR and be available for an offense play or two, as Boyce was last year.

This is a few things to keep in mind about the offense:

- Rob Gronkowski is healthy and seems determined to play a full season; he has a chip on his shoulder and is out to prove the naysayers wrong.
- Dobson is entering his second season in the NFL; he showed well in the last preseason game and should make the leap in year 2.
- Thompkins is entering his second season in the NFL: he has made significant improvements based on his camp and preseason showings.
- Amendola is entering his second season as a Patriot, and he is not being relied on to carry the load so this should help with his durability this season, he should perform well as a complementary piece.
- Edelman is entering his second season as a full time starter and the lead target in the offense; he showed dramatic improvement over the final 8 games last season and looked sensational in camp and the preseason.
- LaFell is a big addition in my opinion, he is a Joker that can be used inside and outside, he will be a nice complementary piece, and he brings durability to a group that has injury concerns.
- Vereen is entering his second season as the full time third down running back, and he is healthy, I think he is going to have an amazing season, pro bowl worthy.
- White is going to give us the ability to run a 2 running back offense; this should give us some nice third down packages.
- The offensive line needed change, and honestly, when you want to send a message and make a major change removing the most notable member of a group can shake things up. The players like Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Connolly, Wendell, etc. know that if Mankins can be shipped out of town their leash is not very long either, which = motivation.
- Wright is a great addition; I think he can do just about everything Hernandez did, without the drops and without the durability issues. The ability to run out of a 12 personnel package is great for this team.
- Develin is entering his second season as a NFL player, he improved significantly over the course of last season, I expect that to continue in 2014.

When you consider all of these things, I do not think it is a question of is the offense championship worthy, I think it is a question of is this the best offense in the NFL.

#11 - WHITE GIVES US THE ABILITY TO RUN A TWO BACK OFFENSE
Let's start with the fact that I agree that we may very well run more 2-back sets. However they will likely be with 2 of Ridley, Vereen and Develin in the backfield (or even the Hooman.
White is a receiving threat on third downs that is what I was referring to, not in terms of running the football.

White is a receiving threat on third downs that is what I was referring to, not in terms of running the football.
I understand that.

My point is that this skill is relevant only if Vereen is injured, and only if White is active in place of Bolden.

I understand that.

My point is that this skill is relevant only if Vereen is injured, and only if White is active in place of Bolden.
I think White will be active every week, I think Belichick likes his skill set a lot, especially as a blocker pass protection. He is easily the best RB on the team in pass protection. I think you are focusing on his running between the tackles, which I admit was less than impressive in the preseason. He does a number of other things really well though, I also think he will be the primary kick returner, another reason he will be active every week.

Which is scary? The absolutely awful patriot offense or the captain's analysis?
Actually our o- line is what I was referring to. It literally scares me at times how ****ty it can be

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft