PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

Pre-Combine gossip from Tony Pauline:

- I gushed over Aaron Donald’s performance at the Senior Bowl and have been told to expect much of the same during his combine workout on Monday. Donald, a 500+ pound bench presser, is expected to total in the mid 30’s on the bench then run his forty somewhere in the 4.7’s after tipping the scales in the low 290-pound area. I’m told Donald will also put up some pretty spectacular times in the agility drills. Where could Donald end up in May? After the combine we said teams late in the first round would have to start giving the Pittsburgh lineman consideration but recent rumblings have the Chicago Bears very interested in his services with the 14th pick of round one.
- Forty times of the receivers are always something to watch and I’m told the wide out who could surprise everyone is Martavis Bryant of Clemson. Bryant, who goes an unofficial 6-feet, 5-inches, is expected to run in the low 4.3’s and could even breach the high 4.2’s.
- I’m told Paul Richardson of Colorado is expected to run faster than expected and could break into the 4.3’s. Scouts I’ve spoken with compare Richardson’s style to Philadelphia Eagles wide out DeSean Jackson, though not quite as fast.
- Jimmie Ward of Northern Illinois is one of our favorite defensive backs but his size and athleticism are questioned. I’m told Ward, who lined up at both cornerback and safety at NIU, will pleasantly surprise NFL decision makers on Tuesday.
- I’m told Cal tight end Richard Rodgers will tip the scales around 265-pounds and is expected to run in the 4.7-area. Low 4.7’s could seal him as a 4th rounder.

Combine News & Notes: Thursday

I'm really torn between Nix and Donald. I think there is a decent chance at least one of them is available at 29 and potentially both. I probably think Nix is more likely to be there because there aren't too many teams looking for a legitimate NT, especially in the 1st round. I've seen a lot of people mock him to the Steelers but I think they are going to have a tough time passing on Mike Evans in the 1st. If they do pass on Nix I think there is a chance he could fall into the early 2nd.

If we could some how trade Mallett to Houston for #33 and both guys are available I would have no problem taking Donald at #29 and Nix at #33. I know some will question taking two DT's but to me they are completely different positions. I'm going to be devestated when all the DT's are gone by 29 and we take Jace Amaro :D

:ugh: Though I'm consoled by the fact that so many people think Amaro is the "obvious" choice - the Pats never take the "obvious" guy.

I'm just not convinced that Justin Ellis won't end up being as good as Nix. Ellis' has terrific agility and quickness for a big guy.

I think Donald is a step above Easley because I think he is a little more stout and plays with better technique and leverage. Having said that I'm starting to lean towards Easley because of value. The injury will knock him down the board and I think he will probably be there into the mid 3rd, which is where I would be comfortable taking such a one dimensional player. Although I found when I was watching him that when he played DE he was quite disciplined and stout on the outside. I wouldn't want him inside vs the run but I think he has potential as a rotational base LDE and sub rushing DT. I certainly think either player would add something this defense has lacked.

I agree with almost all of this (though I doubt Easley lasts to the mid-3rd). Donald and Easley are the two really explosive DTs, and if BB is willing to deviate from the norm and go after guys who could really throw a curveball into the defense, these are the guys. Timmy Jernigan is more rounded, but not as explosive - Caraun Reid is a great Jernigan facsimile likely available 2+ rounds later. Justin Ellis is a great Nix facsimile likely available 2+ rounds later. Brent Urban is a great Hageman facsimile likely available 2+ rounds later. But if you want a DT who can wreck havoc by his ability to blow up plays, Donald and Easley are the guys. I agree that Donald is stouter than Easley, but Easley may end up being the better value.

Doug Kyed does a "composite" top 32 list based on prospect rankings from 8 different sources:

Jadeveon Clowney No. 1 In Composite Top 32 2014 NFL Draft Expert Rankings | NFL Draft | NESN.com

Of interest:

12. Eric Ebron (composite ranking 14.6).
20. Calvin Pryor (composite ranking 23.8).
23. Timmy Jernigan (composite ranking 26.0).
24. Ra'Shede Hagemen (composite ranking 26.1).
25. Jace Amaro (composite ranking 27.1).
26. Aaron Donald (composite ranking 28.3).
29. Ryan Shazier (composite ranking 32.3).
30. Stephon Tuitt (composite ranking 34.6).

Not making the top 32: TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, DE Trent Murphy, LB Kyle Van Noy, among others.

:ugh: Though I'm consoled by the fact that so many people think Amaro is the "obvious" choice - the Pats never take the "obvious" guy.

OTOH, it's not that the Patriots don't take the obvious guy because he's obvious.

OTOH, it's not that the Patriots don't take the obvious guy because he's obvious.

Exactly. If Amaro is good, the Patriots won't draft him, because its an organizational philosophy to specifically avoid players with talent, and target bad ones instead.;)

I'm really torn between Nix and Donald. I think there is a decent chance at least one of them is available at 29 and potentially both. I probably think Nix is more likely to be there because there aren't too many teams looking for a legitimate NT, especially in the 1st round. I've seen a lot of people mock him to the Steelers but I think they are going to have a tough time passing on Mike Evans in the 1st. If they do pass on Nix I think there is a chance he could fall into the early 2nd.

After going back and reevaluating 2012 videos I'm even more convinced Nix is the pick. I think the most underrated part of his game is his pass rush. His snap anticipation and explosion are top notch, and upon contact his leverage and leg drive dominate. Then he has some of the strongest hands I've seen and can split double teams with ease. He's much more than a 2-down run stuffer. A lot of it could be play style, but I see as many similarities between him and some of the good penetrating nose tackles -- like Mebane, Dareus, and Joseph -- as I do with Wilfork.

If we could some how trade Mallett to Houston for #33 and both guys are available I would have no problem taking Donald at #29 and Nix at #33. I know some will question taking two DT's but to me they are completely different positions. I'm going to be devestated when all the DT's are gone by 29 and we take Jace Amaro :D

Amen.

Watch Marcus Martin on the play at 2:59. Chips and dumps Nix and then destroys the linebacker.

I wasn't all that keen on him with my first look but credit to Grid and Mayo who like him a lot, I've been won round. The kid is terrific at times.

Marcus Martin (Center, USC) vs Notre Dame 2013 - YouTube

I like Martin too. I wouldn't pencil in a rookie center as a starter, but he could spend a year or two on the bench. He's barely 20. Very uncharacteristic play from Nix BTW.

I'm just not convinced that Justin Ellis won't end up being as good as Nix. Ellis' has terrific agility and quickness for a big guy.

If this is true, I need both.

After going back and reevaluating 2012 videos I'm even more convinced Nix is the pick. I think the most underrated part of his game is his pass rush. His snap anticipation and explosion are top notch, and upon contact his leverage and leg drive dominate. Then he has some of the strongest hands I've seen and can split double teams with ease. He's much more than a 2-down run stuffer. A lot of it could be play style, but I see as many similarities between him and some of the good penetrating nose tackles -- like Mebane, Dareus, and Joseph -- as I do with Wilfork.

Amen.

I like Martin too. I wouldn't pencil in a rookie center as a starter, but he could spend a year or two on the bench. He's barely 20. Very uncharacteristic play from Nix BTW.

If this is true, I need both.

I dreamt that Nix was the pick last night (another in the "you know it's draft season when..."). I'm a little in denial on Nix but he strikes me as being a very likely Patriots pick considering the confluence of his availability and Wilfork's injury. Seems almost too obvious.

I've never got fully on board the Nix in the first idea. I can see the likeliness and the rational reasons behind it but have never bought into it in an emotional level. In other words, I'm at " I can see it happening" but I haven't got to " I want it to happen" yet.

I've never got fully on board the Nix in the first idea. I can see the likeliness and the rational reasons behind it but have never bought into it in an emotional level. In other words, I'm at " I can see it happening" but I haven't got to " I want it to happen" yet.

Because of position?

What's everybody's feelings on Zach Martin? I think you could plug him into either guard spot and be good for a decade. Probably not our greatest need but he would be a serious upgrade. Everything I read on the senior bowl had him as the only guy who compete with Donald.

What's everybody's feelings on Zach Martin? I think you could plug him into either guard spot and be good for a decade. Probably not our greatest need but he would be a serious upgrade. Everything I read on the senior bowl had him as the only guy who compete with Donald.

He's supposed to be gone by 29. He's the pats type of pick though imo.

Not a very flashy pick for 1st round, but I think he would be great at RG. Move Connolly to Center and that its a very solid line.

What the.....!

If this is even remotely true, give up all dreams for Aaron Donald.

- It seems Aaron Donald has carried the momentum of his Senior Bowl performance to the Combine, though he’s yet to work out. I’m told the Seattle Seahawks brass love Donald. In fact source mentioned the Seahawks made Donald a lot of money based on the way they played their defensive tackles in 2013. Yesterday I mentioned Donald is expected to run in the low 4.7’s during his workout on Monday. Today I was told he’s been running in the high 4.5’s/low 4.6’s in training recently.

Combine News & Notes: Friday

4.6s at 280lbs plus could put Donald comfortably in top 10 range as long as his other athletic measurements don't let him down. Have to think the Falcons or even the Rams would be a good bet.

Some more news about Donald from Tony Pauline at draft insider:

I gushed over Aaron Donald's performance at the Senior Bowl and have been told to expect much of the same during his combine workout on Monday. Donald, a 500+ pound bench presser, is expected to total in the mid 30's on the bench then run his forty somewhere in the 4.7's after tipping the scales in the low 290-pound area. I'm told Donald will also put up some pretty spectacular times in the agility drills. Where could Donald end up in May? After the combine we said teams late in the first round would have to start giving the Pittsburgh lineman consideration but recent rumblings have the Chicago Bears very interested in his services with the 14th pick of round one.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back