PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

Austin Seferian-Jenkins*, TE, Washington: 6-5, 262. Third-year junior. "He's going to be close to Gronkowski talent-wise," one scout said. "Now he's lazy and a (expletive). It's all kinds of just minor stuff. There's always something wrong with him." Had 146 receptions in three seasons. Played some basketball for Huskies. "I think he's a pretender," another scout said. "Not really a football player. The hype is big, but he don't want to block and he is kind of half-(expletive) in everything he does. Inconsistent and unreliable."

Hmmmm.....if he's a guy who doesn't want to block and doesn't really love football we can all take him off of our wish-list now.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins*, TE, Washington: 6-5, 262. Third-year junior. "He's going to be close to Gronkowski talent-wise," one scout said. "Now he's lazy and a (expletive). It's all kinds of just minor stuff. There's always something wrong with him." Had 146 receptions in three seasons. Played some basketball for Huskies. "I think he's a pretender," another scout said. "Not really a football player. The hype is big, but he don't want to block and he is kind of half-(expletive) in everything he does. Inconsistent and unreliable."

Hmmmm.....if he's a guy who doesn't want to block and doesn't really love football we can all take him off of our wish-list now.

And then that same scouts team drafts him in the 2nd:) don't believe everything you read as gospel.

I don't know what that scout was watching. Aside from Fiedorowicz, ASJ was my favourite blocker. Really smart blocker (although would like to see him use more power).

Drew Boylhart gave ASJ a 4th round game, and said essentially the same thing: he has the talent to be as good as he wants to be, but he's lazy and sloppy. Something to check out very, very carefully.

I don't know what that scout was watching. Aside from Fiedorowicz, ASJ was my favourite blocker. Really smart blocker (although would like to see him use more power).

I thought the same thing about his blocking but wondered if the scout had inside knowledge where he was good about it but complained about it. I also wonder if it was a smoke screen to lower his value.

so far today I like WR Benjamin (FSU) and Hazel (CC). If we go D with the first 2 rounds then we could take Hazel in the 3rd and TE Fed (Iowa) in the 4th. We could possibly trade out of the first and work in a C.

anyway, i love Hazel

Drew Boylhart gave ASJ a 4th round game, and said essentially the same thing: he has the talent to be as good as he wants to be, but he's lazy and sloppy. Something to check out very, very carefully.

If all of that isn't coming from the same scout and is widely known we need to drop him a few rounds in our projections and that's not even including the foot issue.

so far today I like WR Benjamin (FSU) and Hazel (CC). If we go D with the first 2 rounds then we could take Hazel in the 3rd and TE Fed (Iowa) in the 4th. We could possibly trade out of the first and work in a C.

anyway, i love Hazel

I was pretty impressed with Beckham Jr and Coleman.

If all of that isn't coming from the same scout and is widely known we need to drop him a few rounds in our projections and that's not even including the foot issue.

I think you need to take it with a grain of salt and do your homework on film evaluation and interviews. But it's notable. Boylhart is an independent draftnik who isn't associated with any team and doesn't have any incentive in laying a smokescreen. I don't know how "widely known" it is, but it certainly needs to be checked out carefully.

I thought the same thing about his blocking but wondered if the scout had inside knowledge where he was good about it but complained about it. I also wonder if it was a smoke screen to lower his value.

I was going to say that that was the Patriots scout talking hoping thT teams reacted the same way you did.

It's a concern, but we don't have complete access to all the relevant information so I take such things with a pinch of salt.

I think you need to take it with a grain of salt and do your homework on film evaluation and interviews. But it's notable. Boylhart is an independent draftnik who isn't associated with any team and doesn't have any incentive in laying a smokescreen. I don't know how "widely known" it is, but it certainly needs to be checked out carefully.

I know he's independent but that doesn't mean he doesn't talk to other scouts and the college coaches. To me what makes it so much harder for those of us doing this as a hobby is first not having access to the all-22 film and second not having access to interview the players and coaches. Also asking players on your roster "Hey Jerod you played with player X how was he as a teammate and his work ethic?" "He's a total turd and is more interested in the party scene." Bang off the draft list.

*Homer Alert* What do you guys think of wide receiver Albert Wilson from my alma mater Georgia State? He's our school's first participant in the nfl draft combine.

I think he could be a low draft or udfa option if Edelman doesn't resign.

I really respect this board's opinion on draft prospects.

Ah, Grid finally gets to my uber-binky for 2014, MF/FD Christian Jones. I've been on the Jones bandwagon for months, and have been waiting to see if my Fanatical Brother agrees with my lofty assessment - in the level of Lavonte David man-love. I copy it in full, hopefully with permission:

Run Defense ~ Awesome. Just awesome. If you can get by his Weight ~ and I strongly suggest that you do!! ~ Jones has what is far more crucial to Success and that of course is Core Power. He's built phenomenal Core Power in the Weight Rooms over the Years, and it shows on the Field. Combined with outstanding Acceleration and Closing Speed, exceptional Mechanics, navigating Traffic, and great Tackling, and I believe he'll become a Force.

Pass Coverage ~ Phenomenal. Phenomenal. Jones brings spectacular Core Agility ~ Fluidity ~ to the table, and that translates into Verticity ~ Turn & Burn Acuity, Earthlings ~ on the level of a Defensive Back. A good one.

Pass Rush ~ Raw but loaded with Potential: Launch Velocity, Closing Speed, Fluidity, and quick, violent Hands. Oh, yeah.

Intangibles ~ Outstanding.

Intangibles: Outstanding. Yep. Mind you: On Tape, Jones is often hesitant or slow to Read & React to changes in the Tactical LandScape before'm. Based on Tape alone ~ and Tape is King ~ I'd have to give Jones a Failing Grade.

After all: It's not as if he's played 3 different Positions in 3 Years, which cripples, indeed obliterates his chances of settling in, setting down, and immersing himself in the thousands of nuances of the Role for long enough to master it.

And it's not as if he's played 3 different Positions in 3 Years, thus making it unmistakably clear that World Champion Head Coach Jimbo Fisher and the World Champion Coaches at Florida State have had complete Confidence in the cerebral Capacity of Jones to start from Scratch 3 Years in a row and play at a World Championship level.

Oh, wait.

Actually, he has.

I'm not worried about'is Processing Speed or Field Vision.

I consider these a definite Strength.

Another thing that's easy to get wrong with Christian Jones is his Power.

Looking at'm, it's easy ~ for most, anyway ~ to fret about'is Size and worry about'is Capacity to work his way through Traffic that consists of brutish behemoths. Those are of course precisely the concerns that caused LaVonte David to be inexplicably available at the end of the 2nd Round in 2012, despite his clear SuperStar Potential.

I and my buddy on the FanBoards who wishes to remain Anonymous but who deserves this tangential reference saw that what mattered was not Size but Core Power. Core Power is what I've been preaching about since the mid-13th Century, and Core Power is what's been enabling smaller men to defeat and indeed to destroy behemoths 50 and even 100 Pounds heavier than them since the beginning of Time. Core Power, that is, and Agility. And Brains.

Jones has all of them in abundance, and is far more powerful at the Point of Impact than most seem to perceive.

And he's got tremendous Potential as a Pass Rusher.

Far more crucially to a Team trying to build a 21st Century Defense, though, is the extraordinary Capability that Christian Jones brings to Pass Coverage. Simply put: The young man is a Natural, and has the Potential to make an enormous Impact on the Game at the Next Level. His Capacity is the kind that impacts when it matters most.

His Potential, indeed, is to become the kind of Defender that is essential to Making War upon the dynamic Hybrid Offenses of the 21st Century: Covering vast swaths of Real Estate rapidly and Making Plays against The Very Best.

Category: Christian Jones -

I haven't seen midfielder with Jone's combination of verticity, agility, explosiveness and core power since ... Lavonte David. And at 6' 3" 240# Jones is a bit heftier than David.

Add Aaron Donald and Christian Jones, and this defense will be transformed.

I only hope that teams confuse Jones' being used at so many different positions for a "lack of instincts" and "poor technique", and discount him.

*Homer Alert* What do you guys think of wide receiver Albert Wilson from my alma mater Georgia State? He's our school's first participant in the nfl draft combine.

I think he could be a low draft or udfa option if Edelman doesn't resign.

I really respect this board's opinion on draft prospects.

I'm sorry but I haven't seen him. Can you tell us anything about him?

I'm sorry but I haven't seen him. Can you tell us anything about him?
Sure. NFL network kept cutting away from because he was right after Sammy Watkins.

I can't post a link to his nfl.com profile, but here are his measurables:

5'9" height
202 lbs weight
9 1/8 hands

4.43 forty (same as Sammy Watkins)
37" vertical

71 catches for 1,177 yards eight touchdowns
2,283 all-purpose yards
23.5 yards avg. on kickoff returns

1st team All Sun Belt and SI.Com Honorable Mention All-American all-purpose on a dreadful team FBS startup program where he was the only offense and a marked man.

I disagree with the "maintenance" comment in his draft profile because he never was a complainer or suspended from the team and was actually a team captain.

Also he scored a 97-yard kickoff return for a touchdown against Alabama a couple of years ago which was our only points in the game.

With his thick build, he could be a slot receiver/3rd down back and definitely contribute to special teams.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back