PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

I'm all for taking a few calculated "moon shots" in the late rounds of the draft. This sounds like one to check out, but it could be a good one.

I literally came here to mention Boyd

Mike Huguenin of ESPN previews some of the LB prospects going into the Combine:

Anthony Barr, Ryan Shazier lead LBs seeking big combine - NFL.com

It's ludicrous that Anthony Barr's stock has "fallen" in the past 2 months for no good reason. He's a stud. If he somehow dropped to 20 (unlikely) he would be well worth trading up for. I had hoped he would come out last year and the Pats could snag him at 29 for the role that Jamie Collins ended up playing.

It's ludicrous that Anthony Barr's stock has "fallen" in the past 2 months for no good reason. He's a stud. If he somehow dropped to 20 (unlikely) he would be well worth trading up for. I had hoped he would come out last year and the Pats could snag him at 29 for the role that Jamie Collins ended up playing.

There's no way he makes it past the Giants. :enranged:

You never know.

No one knows anything.

David Einhorn once said "Both poker and investing are games of incomplete information. You have a certain set of facts and you are looking for situations where you have an edge, whether the edge is psychological or statistical" and he's right. I think the draft is similar, but there are no facts.

Becoming big fans of Brent Urban outta Virginia who has a ton of similarities with JJ Watt and Connor Shaw, whom I already liked for years, he just earned Russell Wilson comparisons, which I wouldn't go that far with, however I see him as an attractive UDFA for BB and NE, my personal favorite project option and dual-threat QB for NE

Mike Huguenin of ESPN previews some of the LB prospects going into the Combine:

Anthony Barr, Ryan Shazier lead LBs seeking big combine - NFL.com

I'm interested to see where CJ Mosley ends up going. The talk lately is teams aren't as impressed with his 2013 tape as his 2012 tape and he could be a late 1st rounder (Manti Te'o part II?). If he is somehow on the board at 29 I would take him in a heartbeat. While he might not be the most athletic (although he is an excellent athlete) he is the best coverage MLB I've seen in college. His instincts, play recognition and intelligence make him a weapon in the middle of a defense and I think he is one of the best players in this draft period. I think the whole coverage LBer thing is a little bit overblown, but Mosley is so well rounded as a football player I think he can help in every facet of the defense.

I'm interested to see where CJ Mosley ends up going. The talk lately is teams aren't as impressed with his 2013 tape as his 2012 tape and he could be a late 1st rounder (Manti Te'o part II?). If he is somehow on the board at 29 I would take him in a heartbeat. While he might not be the most athletic (although he is an excellent athlete) he is the best coverage MLB I've seen in college. His instincts, play recognition and intelligence make him a weapon in the middle of a defense and I think he is one of the best players in this draft period. I think the whole coverage LBer thing is a little bit overblown, but Mosley is so well rounded as a football player I think he can help in every facet of the defense.

I do like Mosley but think that using yet another top pick on a LB is too much.

Is destroying Alabama's offensive line a combine drill?

Louis Nix III vs Alabama 2013 BCS Championship - YouTube

I'm really torn between Nix and Donald. I think there is a decent chance at least one of them is available at 29 and potentially both. I probably think Nix is more likely to be there because there aren't too many teams looking for a legitimate NT, especially in the 1st round. I've seen a lot of people mock him to the Steelers but I think they are going to have a tough time passing on Mike Evans in the 1st. If they do pass on Nix I think there is a chance he could fall into the early 2nd.

If we could some how trade Mallett to Houston for #33 and both guys are available I would have no problem taking Donald at #29 and Nix at #33. I know some will question taking two DT's but to me they are completely different positions. I'm going to be devestated when all the DT's are gone by 29 and we take Jace Amaro :D

I do like Mosley but think that using yet another top pick on a LB is too much.

I would agree with you on any other LBer but to me Mosley is special. I think he is a Luke Kuechly type MLB that could be a real difference maker. I'm also hesitant to rely too much on Jamie Collins, he certainly flashed some brilliance but he is still a long way away from being the player I think some people envision him as. I do think he is an excellent player I just think we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves with him.

I would agree with you on any other LBer but to me Mosley is special. I think he is a Luke Kuechly type MLB that could be a real difference maker. I'm also hesitant to rely too much on Jamie Collins, he certainly flashed some brilliance but he is still a long way away from being the player I think some people envision him as. I do think he is an excellent player I just think we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves with him.

We all get those players that we like regardless of need. One interesting question is why Alabama defensive players aren't living up to the billing coming into the NFL these past few years?

We all get those players that we like regardless of need. One interesting question is why Alabama defensive players aren't living up to the billing coming into the NFL these past few years?

I think there could be a number of reasons for it. People always bring up the argument that with so much talent on that defense its hard to tell which players are the really good ones and I think that does have some merit to it. With such depth and talent around each player their deficiencies can be covered by teammates. I also think being so well coached by Nick Saban that they are closer to their ceiling than most other players. While most draft prospects still have a lot of projection and development left in them I think Alabama players tend to peak earlier. I also don't think the wear and tear they go through, particularly for lineman helps them when they get to the pros. Alabama plays so much tougher than any other team in college football that I think it could take a toll.

I'm really torn between Nix and Donald. I think there is a decent chance at least one of them is available at 29 and potentially both. I probably think Nix is more likely to be there because there aren't too many teams looking for a legitimate NT, especially in the 1st round. I've seen a lot of people mock him to the Steelers but I think they are going to have a tough time passing on Mike Evans in the 1st. If they do pass on Nix I think there is a chance he could fall into the early 2nd.

If we could some how trade Mallett to Houston for #33 and both guys are available I would have no problem taking Donald at #29 and Nix at #33. I know some will question taking two DT's but to me they are completely different positions. I'm going to be devestated when all the DT's are gone by 29 and we take Jace Amaro :D

They won't take donald. Too one gapper. Nix has a questionable knee.

Watch Marcus Martin on the play at 2:59. Chips and dumps Nix and then destroys the linebacker.

I wasn't all that keen on him with my first look but credit to Grid and Mayo who like him a lot, I've been won round. The kid is terrific at times.

Marcus Martin (Center, USC) vs Notre Dame 2013 - YouTube

They won't take donald. Too one gapper. Nix has a questionable knee.

I would normally agree about one-gapper DTs but Donald might be the exception because he is so explosive and BB has shown that he likes explosive players. It is still a long-shot but Donald and Easley (but those knees) are the two most likely of the smaller one gapper DTs.

Watch Marcus Martin on the play at 2:59. Chips and dumps Nix and then destroys the linebacker.

I wasn't all that keen on him with my first look but credit to Grid and Mayo who like him a lot, I've been won round. The kid is terrific at times.

Marcus Martin (Center, USC) vs Notre Dame 2013 - YouTube

It was the ND video that sold me on Martin too. He moves well in space (although he does whiff on blocks at the second level occasionally) but he also plays with power and some aggression. He has some things to clean up in his pass blocking but he is an excellent run blocker and has the potential to be a very good NFL C. I've moved him to my #1 C but I would be happy with any of the top 3 (Richburg, Swanson).

I would normally agree about one-gapper DTs but Donald might be the exception because he is so explosive and BB has shown that he likes explosive players. It is still a long-shot but Donald and Easley (but those knees) are the two most likely of the smaller one gapper DTs.

I think Donald is a step above Easley because I think he is a little more stout and plays with better technique and leverage. Having said that I'm starting to lean towards Easley because of value. The injury will knock him down the board and I think he will probably be there into the mid 3rd, which is where I would be comfortable taking such a one dimensional player. Although I found when I was watching him that when he played DE he was quite disciplined and stout on the outside. I wouldn't want him inside vs the run but I think he has potential as a rotational base LDE and sub rushing DT. I certainly think either player would add something this defense has lacked.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back