PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

Thoughts on ASJ from Washington. In my opinion, he's the best TE available.

As a classic Tight End in the Kong mode ~ as opposed to Flex End, my term for the other kind ~ I might agree with you. I have concerns about'is Core Power, and his Ricochet ~ Burst out'f'is Breaks ~ is pretty slothlike, in my Perception, so Separation may prove to be a Problem at The Next Level.

However, his Fluidity is Silky Smooth, he works the field adroitly to find Open Space, and he positions himself exceptionally well at the Catch Point: BasketBall BackGround shows, here.

And he's huge, of course, so he's great in Traffic.

As a Blocker, my early impression ~ I've got more studying to do, including watching the same Tapes over and over ~ is that he's not at the level of Rob "Don't Open Until Christmas" Gronkowski, but still pretty good.

I gave'm a 2nd Round Grade, but that may be colored by the lofty Value I place on Tight Ends.

To me, he compares very favorably to Jimmy Graham. I think his blocking is actually a lot better than he gets credit for. The basketball background is huge to me. Look at some of the best TEs in the game recently(Gonzalez, Graham, Gates) with basketball backgrounds. Although all their last names start with G(especially if you add Gronkowski in there).

Maybe we've got start scouting differently.

What you mean "we", white man? ;)

"BasketBall", since I became obsessed with The Draft, has always catapulted any FootBall Resume to the top of the pile, as they say. It speaks both to their innate Agility and to their experience in Combat Tactics.

I can't roll with you on the Jimmy Graham comparison, as I consider Graham more athletic and Jenkins a better blocker, but I like the fact that Washington has shamelessly felt free to split Jenkins The Hyphenator out wide and let Defenders deal with'm. Those who've read this SubForum for the last 3 Years or so are well acquainted ~ often to their regret :D ~ with my obsession with Multiple Tight End Sets.

There I mean both Tight Ends like Kong and Flex Ends like Aaron the Perpetrator.

I don't give a damn about 80 Yard Bombs or "40" Speed.

Give me 3 or 4 Jordan Camerons and let the Defenses try to figure out how to defend'm!! :eek:

What you mean "we", white man? ;)

"BasketBall", since I became obsessed with The Draft, has always catapulted any FootBall Resume to the top of the pile, as they say. It speaks both to their innate Agility and to their experience in Combat Tactics.

I can't roll with you on the Jimmy Graham comparison, as I consider Graham more athletic and Jenkins a better blocker, but I like the fact that Washington has shamelessly felt free to split Jenkins The Hyphenator out wide and let Defenders deal with'm. Those who've read this SubForum for the last 3 Years or so are well acquainted ~ often to their regret :D ~ with my obsession with Multiple Tight End Sets.

There I mean both Tight Ends like Kong and Flex Ends like Aaron the Perpetrator.

I don't give a damn about 80 Yard Bombs or "40" Speed.

Give me 3 or 4 Jordan Camerons and let the Defenses try to figure out how to defend'm!! :eek:

I meant in regards to the best TEs all having last names starting with the letter G. (Gates, Gonzo, Gronk, Graham). We should just start drafting tight ends with these characteristics. Screw playing basketball or actually being able to catch or block or anything.

But on a serious note, it doesn't surprise me that Gronk was a basketball player and was going to play at 'Zona but the coach wouldn't let him. You can see how he relates to the other guys with basketball backgrounds.

1st amaro. Absolutely. Later on fiedowitz or lyerla

.@BFeldmanCBS: Ex nfl scout RT @JohnMiddlekauff: Multiple sources tell me Teddy Bridgewater has contemplated returning to school. No decision been made

Well that would be something.

Well that would be something.
He just wants to see if the Texans would actually pick Derek Carr after busting with the pick of his brother David 12 years ago.

Brandon Coleman is declaring apparently. Already getting plenty of Patriot links ( which I think is unwarranted personally).

How about Towson running back Terrance West... broke NCAA DI single season rushing touchdown record yesterday (38)... needs 32 yards in the next 1-2 games (depending on how far Towson makes it in the playoffs) to break the FCS record for most yards in a season (he has 2295)... needs 4 rushing touchdowns to break the DI CAREER record for rushing touchdowns (he has 81)... needs 2 touchdowns DI to break the record for touchdowns in a season... needs 7 touchdowns to break the record for touchdowns in a career... did I mention he's a junior?

Kid has really nice film. Good size and solid long speed, showed great balance in the snow.

a couple of FBS guys that can be had in the 7th.

Coastal Carolina
WR Matt Hazel: Commintted to Coastal Carolina and then was offered by Georgia. Honored his committment to Coastal Carolina. 6-3 and can really catch the ball

RB Lorenzo Teliaferro: Think Blount with speed.

worth a look in the late rounds IMO

Brandon Coleman is declaring apparently. Already getting plenty of Patriot links ( which I think is unwarranted personally).

people apparently havent actually paid much attention to our rookie receivers outside of the first couple weeks.

anyone projecting WR to us (particularly 1st, as i had seen a few times earlie in the season), when there are much more pressing needs, should probably give up mock drafts.

people apparently havent actually paid much attention to our rookie receivers outside of the first couple weeks.

anyone projecting WR to us (particularly 1st, as i had seen a few times earlie in the season), when there are much more pressing needs, should probably give up mock drafts.

I've seen a lot of mocks with Coleman to the Pats. Not so many recently, thankfully.

I got accepted to the University of Chicago.

yeah it kind of annoying that all these mock draft places keep mocking a wide receiver to the Pats in the first or second round saying how the rookies are all terrible

yeah it kind of annoying that all these mock draft places keep mocking a wide receiver to the Pats in the first or second round saying how the rookies are all terrible

It's not completely ridiculous because of Gronk's injury. You need someone you can target in the red zone, and, if Gronk is injured, maybe you need that to be a receiver. The problem with drafting a tight end is that let's say you draft ASJ, if Gronk does come back, ASJ+Gronk strikes me as an unwise redundancy, whereas Gronk+Kelvin Benjamin seems realistic. Still, there are only about 2 receivers that should even be on your draft board in the early rounds. Cody Hoffman is a late round sleeper to look at. BYU stopped passing this year, especially downfield, and I can't blame them because their quarterbacks have sucked the last couple years, but Hoffman has that Eric Decker like body control and strength in the red zone.

It's not completely ridiculous because of Gronk's injury. You need someone you can target in the red zone, and, if Gronk is injured, maybe you need that to be a receiver. The problem with drafting a tight end is that let's say you draft ASJ, if Gronk does come back, ASJ+Gronk strikes me as an unwise redundancy, whereas Gronk+Kelvin Benjamin seems realistic. Still, there are only about 2 receivers that should even be on your draft board in the early rounds. Cody Hoffman is a late round sleeper to look at. BYU stopped passing this year, especially downfield, and I can't blame them because their quarterbacks have sucked the last couple years, but Hoffman has that Eric Decker like body control and strength in the red zone.

which is why we save the last 2 picks in the draft for joe don duncan and gator hoskins

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back