PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

The common these on all the ones I saw was they were to the outside and he didn't have to shed any tackles and most on screens not runs. In the NFL you rarely get a free ride to the ball carrier. I'm not saying he isn't physically talented but I think he's a better athlete than a football player.

You're right that he needs to play in space but Being an outstanding athlete is no bad thing. Almost all the best footballers in the NFL were outstanding athletes first.

I'm a big fan of Shazier but I don't think BB will draft him and I don't think he's worth a first rounder for us. CJ Mosley on the other hand is someone I'd absolutely grab in the first even with the logjam we have at LB. I think he has a chance to become the best LB on our team ( or at least push Mayo for that honour).

Personally I wouldn't waste a lot of time on LB if I were you guys. Even if Spikes leaves we have two #1s and a #2 as pure LB (with Chandler also playing some). If Spikes stays it's two #1s and two #2s.

We have far bigger needs. Like him or not, Collins is as close as we're coming to David. Collins' combine numbers are shockingly close (given his size). He's our LB "athlete".

David
=======
Height: 6005
Weight: 233
40 Yrd Dash: 4.57
20 Yrd Dash: 2.59
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.22
3-Cone Drill: 7.28

Collins
======
Height: 6034
Weight: 250
40 Yrd Dash: 4.59
20 Yrd Dash: 2.61
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
Vertical Jump: 41 1/2
Broad Jump: 11'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.32
3-Cone Drill: 7.10

Without posting Hightower's numbers, his straight (10, 20, 40) numbers are competitive but his Change of Direction, (Shuttle, 3-Cone) are, respectively, 4.64, 7.55 so you can see that he's a different kind of LB but Collins is in the David mode. Look at TE, DL, OL, not LB high.

Personally I wouldn't waste a lot of time on LB if I were you guys. Even if Spikes leaves we have two #1s and a #2 as pure LB (with Chandler also playing some). If Spikes stays it's two #1s and two #2s.

We have far bigger needs. Like him or not, Collins is as close as we're coming to David. Collins' combine numbers are shockingly close (given his size). He's our LB "athlete".

David
=======
Height: 6005
Weight: 233
40 Yrd Dash: 4.57
20 Yrd Dash: 2.59
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.22
3-Cone Drill: 7.28

Collins
======
Height: 6034
Weight: 250
40 Yrd Dash: 4.59
20 Yrd Dash: 2.61
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
Vertical Jump: 41 1/2
Broad Jump: 11'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.32
3-Cone Drill: 7.10

Without posting Hightower's numbers, his straight (10, 20, 40) numbers are competitive but his Change of Direction, (Shuttle, 3-Cone) are, respectively, 4.64, 7.55 so you can see that he's a different kind of LB but Collins is in the David mode. Look at TE, DL, OL, not LB high.

Good post and I agree. But if Mosley was available, I'd be tempted to draft him and use Collins as a pass rusher. But I agree that BB almost certainly won't do that.

Good post and I agree. But if Mosley was available, I'd be tempted to draft him and use Collins as a pass rusher. But I agree that BB almost certainly won't do that.
I was shocked to see how good Collins' numbers were. And I have no clue what the plan is for the LB.

My guess is that Spikes will leave and that in a 4-3 we'll have Collins (WOLB), Mayo (MLB), Hightower (SOLB) and in a 3-4 we'll have Ninkovich (OLB), Mayo (WILB), Hightower (SILB), Collins (OLB).

That would enable them to switch in and out without changing personnel and having all the players playing to their strengths. The fact that Chandler has played some OLB this year would only help the combinations.

In my world we could go to a Nickel with Mayo and Collins at LB and a DL coming off (with Hightower rushing) or Hightower coming off.

I really don't know what the plan going forward is as it's a year away due to Mayo being out and Collins being raw. But I know I can look at LB groupings and feel good whereas I look at DL groupings and want to throw up. A beefy Louis Nix or Daquan Jones would make me feel a lot better.

You're right that he needs to play in space but Being an outstanding athlete is no bad thing. Almost all the best footballers in the NFL were outstanding athletes first.

I'm a big fan of Shazier but I don't think BB will draft him and I don't think he's worth a first rounder for us. CJ Mosley on the other hand is someone I'd absolutely grab in the first even with the logjam we have at LB. I think he has a chance to become the best LB on our team ( or at least push Mayo for that honour).

I didn't give much thought to Mosley since he'll be long gone by the Pats pick.

Yes most great players are great athletes but you also saw the football smarts and physicality coming out. I just see it with Shazier.

I would much prefer the Pats go to a 2-4-5 and 3-4 as their primary defenses and move Jones over to the Elephant and put Collins on the weak side. Collins could stil drop into coverage from that spot.

Spikes is gone which means you would probably need to move Mayo back inside with the current defense because I don't see Hightower or Collins filling that role long term for different reasons. You could draft a thumper if you moved back to a 3-4 for the Ted Johnson role and use Collins for the Phiffer role but I still like him as a 3-4 olb assuming he can bulk up a bit and support the run.

Tiger on Tiger Violence. Very sad. :nooo:

Auburn's racked up 4,628 Yards on the Ground. Looks like the entire Missouri D is going UFA!!
jester.gif

Seriously, though: Love that Missouri Team...and what an awesome Battle between these two Teams!! :rocker:

What are your guys thought on Texas Techs TE Jace Amaro. I only watched one Texas Tech game this year, and I really was not paying attention.

Apparently this dude is legit. Mostly lined up in the slot in TT air raid O. Is he someone the Pats should target?

So I took the time yesterday to watch a lot of Mosley and there's a reason he's rated a lot higher than Shazier. I will say I think Shazier has a bit more burst however what Mosley is able to do filling gaps, navigating through the trash and taking on blockers is so much better than Shazier and I think he's just as good in zone and perhaps better man to man. He also takes better angles and adjusts to take a better angle when things change. There's no way barring injury he makes it out of the teens.

In thinking about Shazier a bit more I actually wonder about playing him at SS if he tests well enough. He sort of reminds me of Polamala in the way he's able to flow to the ball when he has free sailing. I don't know if he can get light enough.

What are your guys thought on Texas Techs TE Jace Amaro. I only watched one Texas Tech game this year, and I really was not paying attention.

Apparently this dude is legit. Mostly lined up in the slot in TT air raid O. Is he someone the Pats should target?
Absolutely, top TE in draft IMO, strong, solid speed, great hands, strong blocker, I'd take either him or Dennard in the first and another TE like Lynch or Pedersen later on

I haven't started to break down Defenders yet, but I can tell you that Amaro blows my doors off: An awesome fusion of Core Power and Core Agility ~ Fluidity, if you will. Could play Tight End, like our own Kong, but is a better fit at Flex End ~ like He Who Shall Not Be Named, but more like Jimmy Graham, I think.

Gave'm a Top 10 Grading. Hell, yeah.

I haven't started to break down Defenders yet, but I can tell you that Amaro blows my doors off: An awesome fusion of Core Power and Core Agility ~ Fluidity, if you will. Could play Tight End, like our own Kong, but is a better fit at Flex End ~ like He Who Shall Not Be Named, but more like Jimmy Graham, I think.

How do you compare him to Enron ? If we're talking fluidity, oh brother.

Eric Ebron vs Duke (2013) - YouTube

My auto-correct keeps changing Ebron's name to Enron. Some might say that's a cautionary warning.

I completely agree with you :rofl: but this post cracked me up

How do you compare him to Enron ? If we're talking fluidity, oh brother.

My auto-correct keeps changing Ebron's name to Enron. Some might say that's a cautionary warning.

Some might, indeed. Although Enron did possess tremendous Fluidity, as it were. * ;)

I actually give Amaro the Fluidity edge on Ebron. But that's just my Perspective. :cool:

I like Ebron, but prefer Amaro at this Juncture. And you?

*Just not so much Liquidity. Haw.

Some might, indeed. Although Enron did possess tremendous Fluidity, as it were. ;)

I actually give Amaro the Fluidity edge on Ebron. But that's just my Perspective. :cool:

I like Ebron, but prefer Amaro at this Juncture. And you?

I haven't watched enough 2013 Amaro yet but I was a fan of his 2012 tape. I have reservations about Ebron as a blocker and catcher but he is so explosive. I pointed out elsewhere that he has a similar yPC average to Vernon Davis who I think held the CFB record for the position so as a playmaker I think Ebron is terrific. I'd be absolutely fine with either.

If I were the Pats, I'd double dip (Amaro/Ebron + Lynch/Pedersen/Fiedorowicz). I'd even consider trading up to get Amaro.

If I were the Pats, I'd double dip (Amaro/Ebron + Lynch/Pedersen/Fiedorowicz). I'd even consider trading up to get Amaro.

I'm convinced Ebron goes higher. That Miami TE looks good if he declares (Wolford?). And let's hope Troy Niklas declares, if only to increase the pool.

That Miami TE looks good if he declares (Wolford?).

Shh!!! Yeah, I wrote up Clive Walford last month, and I agree 100%!! Gave'm a 1st Round Grade!! Shh!! ;)

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back