PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 mock draft FAIL thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one was soo bad, that I see that both of us had to log in and trash it........(if you go back, both CT and me posted "comments" on this one..

I quoted your and added some more, lets see what the draft's "author" has to say for our collective criticism.

I will say that I checked out that the Pats subsection of that forum has an awesome link that shows all of the visits/interviews that players have had with the team. Can't post it because I don't have enough posts though.

But yeah, that draft reeks of fail LOL. Typical forum blowhard.

Here's DraftTek's latest helping of FAIL (the first three picks are OK, and then it goes off the cliff).

1. Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan
2a. Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
2b. Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State
2c. Nate Allen, FS, South Florida
4. Mike Neal, DE, Purdue
6. Harry Coleman, SS, LSU
7a. Sherrick McMannis, CB, Northwestern
7b. Cord Howard, OG, Georgia Tech

Of course, it helps that their inputs state that the Patriots have no need for a WR, period.

Here's DraftTek's latest helping of FAIL (the first three picks are OK, and then it goes off the cliff).

4. Mike Neal, DE, Purdue

Of course, it helps that their inputs state that the Patriots have no need for a WR, period.

I don't know if that's an epic fail though. If you went with Mardy Gilyard at 2c instead of a *?&%# safety, it might be passable.

I don't know if that's an epic fail though. If you went with Mardy Gilyard at 2c instead of a *?&%# safety, it might be passable.

I just said FAIL, not EPIC FAIL (which would be trading up for Eric Berry ;)).

4. Mike Neal, DE, Purdue

The fail starts at 2a. I actually like 2c, too bad NE doesn't really need him.

The fail starts at 2a. I actually like 2c, too bad NE doesn't really need him.

Not feeling the Gresham, Box? ;)

Seriously—BB calls you up and says, "Hey, Mr. Rocks, which TE should I draft?" Who would you recommend?

Not feeling the Gresham, Box? ;)

Seriously—BB calls you up and says, "Hey, Mr. Rocks, which TE should I draft?" Who would you recommend?
What does he want the TE to do?

What does he want the TE to do?

Don't worry about that question... just say Moeaki! He does it all. Please don't bring up the injury bug... crap, I just did.

That Scout draft has to go in the Hall of Fame for amazingly terrible Patriots mocks. The Patriots take 2 LB's that are not ideal fits in the 3-4, McCluster and TEBOW?

I could handle Weatherspoon so long as we're sticking with the 4-3, he's the absolutely perfect WLB. I can certainly handle McCluster too, in fact I have him in my "dream Draft scenario". But Bowman as well as Weatherspoon? And Tebow?!?

I've said before I think BB might just draft Tebow, but I'd be throwing up and crying for months on end afterwards.

Scott Wright at draftcountdown.com has us taking the following with expanations:

#22 Time Tebow QB Florida - Surprised? Crazier things have happened on Draft Day and I really believe someone will select Florida’s Tim Tebow much earlier than they should. Remember, it only takes one team. It’s no secret that Bill Belichick is a big fan of the Florida program, plus he has been searching for the right guy to implement the Wild Cat into New England’s offense. That is why they showed a lot of interest in Pat White last year and one of the main reasons they selected Juliun Edelman, who was an athletic college quarterback. Plus the Pats have four picks in the first couple of rounds so they can afford to play around a bit. Tebow is going to be one of the most controversial prospects the NFL Draft has ever seen. An amazing leader with out of this world intangibles, Tebow will undoubtedly go down as one of the greatest college football players of all time but there are some serious questions about him as a pro prospect. Some feel Tebow profiles as more of a tight end or fullback at the next level but he wants to play quarterback and will likely be given that opportunity. After spending four years in Urban Meyer’s system Tebow will essentially have to be reworked from the ground up. Whether it be his throwing motion, footwork, taking snaps from under center, reading coverages or going through progressions there is just a laundry list of things he will have to work on. The bottom line is Tebow’s probably 2-3 years away from being able to run an NFL offense but he has the talent and work ethic to eventually do it and you know he will charm the pants off of decision makers and coaches in pre-draft interviews. While he is being groomed as Tom Brady’s backup and eventual successor the Patriots, who place a high value on versatility, could utilize Tebow in the Wildcat, as a short-yardage runner and an H-Back. If New England wants to go a more conventional route in round one they also need to bring in a pass rushing outside linebacker, an inside linebacker and a running back. ]

#42 Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech

#48 Koa Misi OLB Utah

#52 Arron Hernandez TE Florida

I have to say that most of the mock drafts I've seen for the Pats have been crappy to say the least.

I just think people don't know who to put going to the Pats so they put any old name there.

It’s no secret that Bill Belichick is a big fan of the Florida program, plus he has been searching for the right guy to implement the Wild Cat into New England’s offense. That is why they showed a lot of interest in Pat White last year and one of the main reasons they selected Juliun Edelman, who was an athletic college quarterback.

Ugh, this constant refrain from pundits drives me crazy!!

"That is why they showed a lot of interest in Pat White last year"
...by passing on White 5 times in the draft? Wow, that's compelling evidence.

"and one of the main reasons they selected Juliun Edelman, who was an athletic college quarterback"
...and whom they instantly converted to a WR and kept there?

I like Weatherspoon in the second as a ILB. The rest of that is just awful. Why in the world, eveyr single mock has the Pats taking Jean Shorts Jesus in the second, and some in the first, I have no idea. Why in the world would you bench Brady for this guy? He is a slow TE at best in the NFL.

Ugh, this constant refrain from pundits drives me crazy!!

"That is why they showed a lot of interest in Pat White last year"
...by passing on White 5 times in the draft? Wow, that's compelling evidence.

"and one of the main reasons they selected Juliun Edelman, who was an athletic college quarterback"
...and whom they instantly converted to a WR and kept there?

To be fair, they did show a fair amount of interest in White before the draft; he was one of the players they brought in for a visit, IIRC.

But I agree that drafting WWII had nothing to do with the Wildcat, and that the Patriots were fairly clear about that (they announced him as a WR at the draft). Heck, when Caserio was talking about the scouting process for Edelman, he basically ignored Edelman's passing ability altogether.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes