PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 mock draft FAIL thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could handle Weatherspoon so long as we're sticking with the 4-3, he's the absolutely perfect WLB. I can certainly handle McCluster too, in fact I have him in my "dream Draft scenario". But Bowman as well as Weatherspoon? And Tebow?!?

I've said before I think BB might just draft Tebow, but I'd be throwing up and crying for months on end afterwards.

McCluster was def. the best pick Steuber made; but if all of Bryant, Tate, LaFell, Benn, Gilyard & Damian Williams are gone by 44, I would rather wait until our 4th-rounder and hope that one of Carlton Mitchell, Dezmon Briscoe or Andre Roberts is still available. McCluster seems ill-suited for the Outside WR position, which on offense - along with Center - is our most pressing need (I am ass-uming that Watson, Mankins & Faulk are re-signed).

To be fair, they did show a fair amount of interest in White before the draft; he was one of the players they brought in for a visit, IIRC.

They also brought in every OLB prospect under the sun, though, which didn't amount to much. :(

This is just top-to-bottom hilarious. It's got to be a put-on, right?

Scott Wright at draftcountdown.com has us taking the following with expanations:

#22 Time Tebow QB Florida - Surprised? Crazier things have happened on Draft Day and I really believe someone will select Florida’s Tim Tebow much earlier than they should. Remember, it only takes one team.
And historically Belichick has been the GM to make inane draft maneuvers
It’s no secret that Bill Belichick is a big fan of the Florida program,
with all the il bustos that he and others have pulled out of Gainesville, I'm not so sure
plus he has been searching for the right guy to implement the Wild Cat into New England’s offense.
Says who? I don't see one shred of evidence of any inclination to take the ball out of Tom Brady's hands
That is why they showed a lot of interest in Pat White last year and one of the main reasons they selected Juliun Edelman, who was an athletic college quarterback.
I think Patchick adequately covered this
Plus the Pats have four picks in the first couple of rounds so they can afford to play around a bit.
And logically, the thing to do when you have four early picks to is piss away the first rounder. It's more challenging to build a winner that way.
Tebow is going to be one of the most controversial prospects the NFL Draft has ever seen. An amazing leader with out of this world intangibles, Tebow will undoubtedly go down as one of the greatest college football players of all time but there are some serious questions about him as a pro prospect. Some feel Tebow profiles as more of a tight end or fullback at the next level but he wants to play quarterback and will likely be given that opportunity. After spending four years in Urban Meyer’s system Tebow will essentially have to be reworked from the ground up. Whether it be his throwing motion, footwork, taking snaps from under center, reading coverages or going through progressions there is just a laundry list of things he will have to work on. The bottom line is Tebow’s probably 2-3 years away from being able to run an NFL offense but he has the talent and work ethic to eventually do it
Or, another, more concise, way to say all of this is that trading the #22 pick for a windbreaker, box lunch and two all-day passes to Cedar Point is a better use of the pick than drafting Tebow
and you know he will charm the pants off of decision makers and coaches in pre-draft interviews. While he is being groomed as Tom Brady’s backup and eventual successor the Patriots, who place a high value on versatility, could utilize Tebow in the Wildcat, as a short-yardage runner and an H-Back.
Versatile enough never to possibly never get on the field in any of those capacities.
If New England wants to go a more conventional route in round one they also need to bring in a pass rushing outside linebacker, an inside linebacker and a running back.
or an offensive lineman, defensive lineman, wide receiver, tight end, and punter. Or anybody who has a good chance at challenging for a roster spot, really.

#42 Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech

#48 Koa Misi OLB Utah

#52 Arron Hernandez TE Florida

Now I can get on-board with the rest of the draft, although it wouldn't be my favorite. Replace the #1 pick with any anybody slated to go in the top 60 picks and it would be a vast improvement. Has to be a joke.

Last edited:
This is just top-to-bottom hilarious. It's got to be a put-on, right?

Additionally, the God-boy Conservative bit tends not to play well in locker rooms outside of the Confederacy.

Now I can get on-board with the rest of the draft, although it wouldn't be my favorite. Replace the #1 pick with any anybody slated to go in the top 60 picks and it would be a vast improvement. Has to be a joke.

The number of players, many of whom are Black, on both teams who say a brief prayer after a game tends to refute that notion. And I assume that they're not praying to Allah.
Though your obviously Liberal leanings think otherwise, as long as Tebow isn't passing out leaflets every week, then his particular political leanings should pose little problem in the locker room.

Otherwise, I completely agree with the rest of the post.

dryheat44, captain stone—

Can we please keep liberal/conservative/political stuff out of this thread?

That would be the most dissapointing pick in the years I've been watching the draft.The Brian Holloway pick would look good next to this.

dryheat44, captain stone—

Can we please keep liberal/conservative/political stuff out of this thread?

I didn't think I was being political, or the Captain either. There is a legitimate concern, expressed by at least one scout, that he can be a little preachy with the pro-life stuff, and that it could rub teammates the wrong way. Not being in the Gator locker room, I have no idea whether or not that's true. I don't begrudge Tebow his beliefs...I'm not even saying I disagree with them. I fail to see however how praying for safety before the game and giving thanks afterwards is the same as potentially advancing a highly-volatile and divisive social issue.

I suppose I could have left that line out of the post, but I thought it was important enough in regards to the locker room leadership/great teammate question. I wasn't passing judgments. I apologize if I ignite some kind of ideological board war. If so, feel free to delete this post or take any other necessary measures.

Last edited:
I didn't think I was being political, or the Captain either. There is a legitimate concern, expressed by at least one scout, that he can be a little preachy with the pro-life stuff, and that it could rub teammates the wrong way. Not being in the Gator locker room, I have no idea whether or not that's true. I don't begrudge Tebow his beliefs...I'm not even saying I disagree with them. I fail to see however how praying for safety before the game and giving thanks afterwards is the same as potentially advancing a highly-volatile and divisive social issue.

I suppose I could have left that line out of the post, but I thought it was important enough in regards to the locker room leadership/great teammate question. I wasn't passing judgments. I apologize if I ignite some kind of ideological board war. If so, feel free to delete this post or take any other necessary measures.
Amen.

Bastard....

Haha.

To be fair, the question of whether he would fit into the locker room is relevant, but I don't want this degenerating into a thread on whether his politics (or yours or captain's or mine or Box's or . . .) are left, right, upside down, or what have you.

My new Lord & Master Satan (and I don't mean Miroslav) says Peace be with us all.

McCluster was def. the best pick Steuber made; but if all of Bryant, Tate, LaFell, Benn, Gilyard & Damian Williams are gone by 44, I would rather wait until our 4th-rounder and hope that one of Carlton Mitchell, Dezmon Briscoe or Andre Roberts is still available. McCluster seems ill-suited for the Outside WR position, which on offense - along with Center - is our most pressing need (I am ass-uming that Watson, Mankins & Faulk are re-signed).

You can use him as a RB too. The kid's simply a weapon that you find a role for.

You can use him as a RB too. The kid's simply a weapon that you find a role for.

But not in the second round... Fourth round maybe.. but not the 2nd

But not in the second round... Fourth round maybe.. but not the 2nd

He'll only be available in the second round I feel, especially after the Combine. He could, could, run in the 4.2's.....

He'll only be available in the second round I feel, especially after the Combine. He could, could, run in the 4.2's.....

There are so many good defensive players,wr's where we are picking. It's tough to pass them up at this point. But I agree he won't be there after the end of the 2nd. I'd love to see him as a Pat though. He bounces off tackles real well for a little guy and is lightning quick. He really could be something special for the team if they go in his direction. I wouldn't be dissapointed at all if they felt he was the guy. Having Faulk and McCluster in the same backfield would be a coordinators nightmare.

I really, really, really want McCluster. He needs to add some weight though.

i am all set with McClusker. I would rather see us grab a more classic type RB, rather than some Crazy AL prototype with insane speed but no true position. How well do you think that tiny frame of his would do picking up a safety blitz, let alone Ray lewis blowing up the middle? Move him to WR... and then what does he do? Try to run go routes all game? How could Tom Brady even see the little smurf behind the lineman and linebackers? Give me a 5'10"-6' 215+ lbs between the tackles runner (see Ben Tate, some places have him going as late as the 5th, that would be a steal). As long as they run somewhere in the 4.5 range I'm happy. You can have the midget who is going to be bouncing it outside every time he gets a touch because he has 4.2 speed and will be in the ER if that NT gets ahold of him.

There is a legitimate concern, expressed by at least one scout, that he can be a little preachy with the pro-life stuff, and that it could rub teammates the wrong way.

It's definitely something to consider when a college player positions himself as a spokesman for a politically divisive cause. There are many ways that could become a distraction on and off the field, not to mention a PR complication that a team might not relish. And of course, distractions are not BB's cup of tea.

Can anybody think of another comparable case?

It's definitely something to consider when a college player positions himself as a spokesman for a politically divisive cause. There are many ways that could become a distraction on and off the field, not to mention a PR complication that a team might not relish. And of course, distractions are not BB's cup of tea.

Can anybody think of another comparable case?
tom-brady-goat.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing