PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 mock draft FAIL thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not grab Veldheer? If we could put him on RT we could move Vollmer to LT and start giving Brady some real protection.

But is Vollmer's future really at LT, or is he just a RT - albeit a very good one? And even if he does become our future LT, I still don't want to spend a 2nd-rounder on a RT-only, not this year. As is the case with TE, we simply have too many other needs which can easily be addressed with our 1st- and 2nd-rounders: 2 OLBs, 2 WRs, ILB, DE, CB.

If OL is a consideration, then I would rather see Maurkice Pouncey drafted at 22, because I feel that our weakest link at OL is at Center, and Pouncey will never make it to 44. Matt Tennent is Plan B, but I don't think he's worth a 2nd.

But is Vollmer's future really at LT, or is he just a RT - albeit a very good one? And even if he does become our future LT, I still don't want to spend a 2nd-rounder on a RT-only, not this year. As is the case with TE, we simply have too many other needs which can easily be addressed with our 1st- and 2nd-rounders: 2 OLBs, 2 WRs, ILB, DE, CB.

If OL is a consideration, then I would rather see Maurkice Pouncey drafted at 22, because I feel that our weakest link at OL is at Center, and Pouncey will never make it to 44. Matt Tennent is Plan B, but I don't think he's worth a 2nd.

I'm all for grabbing Trent Williams if possible at #22 if available for our next LT, and hopefully have a Williams-Mankins-Vollmer led OL for the rest of #12's career.

I don't know if Tennent is worth a 2nd or not (I think 3rd more likely), but all you're getting is another Koppen, with the same flaws against bulk.

I'm all for grabbing Trent Williams if possible at #22 if available for our next LT, and hopefully have a Williams-Mankins-Vollmer led OL for the rest of #12's career.

I don't know if Tennent is worth a 2nd or not (I think 3rd more likely), but all you're getting is another Koppen, with the same flaws against bulk.

If Trent Williams is on the board at 22, then Bill will be running to the podium. I'm afraid that he'll be long gone (to Buffalo?) by then, unfortunately.

The Tennant-Koppen comparison is the reason why I don't want him in the 2nd round, either (Koppen lasted until the 5th round in '03, after all). As I postulated in VJC's Trade Down thread, I wouldn't mind seeing Bill trade down 6-8 spots from 22 so he can secure a 3rd-rounder, then draft C/G Maurkice Pouncey. There still should be some VG WRs & Pass-Rushers remaining at 44, 47 & 53.

Here's a new one from DraftTek guaranteed to please almost no one!

1. Everson Griffen, OLB, USC
The prototypical hybrid DE/OLB could step in to a huge role from day one in New England. Rushing the passer was a big problem for the Pats in 2009 and the addition of Griffen could change that. He'd easily be in a rotation from the start and could be the young blood the once stout 'D' needs.

2a. Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU
How much does Moss have left? Can Welker make a full recovery? Where's the depth? Sure, Sam Aiken and Julian Edelman are nice stories and provide a spontaneous good game or two, but can they be trusted for the future? Scouts and draft experts think LaFell can and getting him at this juncture of the draft would be ideal for the Patriots. He has the stature of a true #1 guy, with the right height-build-speed combo. teams crave. He wasn't ridiculously productive in college like a few recently drafted WRs, but that was more due to the LSU scheme than his shortcomings.

2b. Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
New England has three big needs that must be addressed: OLB, DE, and TE. They got Griffen at OLB; now it's time to cross of TE. Gronkowski, who missed all of the 2009 college season due to injury, has massive upside. Despite his missed time, he is still considered one of the premiere TEs available in the 2010 draft, up there with Gresham and Hernandez. He's a mid- to late-2nd round pick and the Patriots should jump all over him with this selection.

2c. Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
A QB? In round two? Tom Brady didn't tear his other ACL, did he? I assure you, he did not. Then why was a QB taken here? Simple - BPA. Does New England absolutely need a QB, especially this early? No. But the numbers were right for it. Brady will be 33 by the time the season begins and could start to slow down soon. And who's behind him? Are you comfortable with Brian Hoyer or Jeff Rowe? Don't give me the "Matt Cassel spiel" either. If McCoy was there and could sit behind Brady for 3-4 years learning, would you be willing to sacrifice the Pats' third (and last) 2nd round pick? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

4. Ben Tate, RB, Auburn
6. Kurt Coleman, SS, Ohio State
7a. Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
7b. Jeron Mastrud, TE, Kansas State

I think that they are right about Colt McCoy being the pick at #53, it just won't be the Patriots making the pick. I'm hoping that the Pats get the DE OLB and TE they want/need by the time pick #53 comes around and then the Pats trade that pick for another pick in the 3rd round and a 2nd rounder next year.

Here's a new one from DraftTek guaranteed to please almost no one!

I'll have to trust Bill's judgement on Griffen's ability to play standing-up, and on LaFell's long speed & ability to separate. I'm still loathe to taking any TE in the first 4 rounds. Colt McCoy is simply a Fail, as is a SS in the 6th & another TE in the 7th.

I'm sure DraftTek is run by a Jets fan. At least our page.

It's hilarious how we reach for LaFell, and then the Broncos get value with Thomas at the very next pick.

And it gets even worse.

Last mock:
4. Ben Tate, RB, Auburn

3/23 FAIL:
1. Everson Griffen, OLB
2a. Damian Williams, WR, USC
2b. Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama
2c. Colt McCoy, QB
4. Kam Chancellor, SS, Virginia Tech
6. Charles Scott, RB, LSU
6 (comp). Andrew Quarless, TE, Penn State
7a. Jeron Mastrud, TE
7b. Doug Worthington, DE, Ohio State
7 (comp). Robert Vaughn, FS, Connecticut
7 (comp). Richard ****son, FB, LSU
7 (comp). Nathan Overbay, OT, Eastern Washington

I like 2a & 2b better this time around, but the rest still stinks.

2 RBs & 2 TEs, but only 1 WR? I'd rather have Quarless' PSU teammate Mickey Schuler (though maybe not in the 6th round). And isn't Overbay a TE, too?

Worthington had a good pro day last week, though his 225s aren't as impressive. He's still a better prospect than the non-athletic Darryl Richard, that's for sure.

And I doubt that Bill would ever draft a FB-only like ****son, even with 5 7th-rounders. I'd rather that comp be used instead on our Punter of the Future.

Colt McCoy in the 2nd, and 2 Safeties (incl. a 4th-rounder) = Fail, though I like McCoy better than Tebow. I just feel that Brady's replacement needn't be drafted so early for another couple of years, as long as this sieve of an OL can keep him alive that long.

Even Bill should be able to do much better than this.

Last edited:
And it gets even worse.

Last mock:
4. Ben Tate, RB, Auburn

I actually don't hate that draft positionwise. Change the QB for OL/DE and the SS for CB and it almost fits the Pats needs. I could see taking Griffen after a TRADE DOWN, but not at #22. Lafell is a hmmm. He does look like a solid route runner, but I don't know if he can absorb the Pats offensive system (most receivers have a hard time with it). I'd probably consider him at #53, but not with the earliest 2nd round pick.

Please recall that Lafell made purported top 10 pick CB Joe Haden look outright slow and pedestrian when LSU played against the Gators.
Just watch the video in this link.
http://nflsoup.com/?p=1398

Last edited:
3/23 FAIL:
1. Everson Griffen, OLB
2a. Damian Williams, WR, USC
2b. Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama

I would be happy after that portion of the draft. Jackson at #47 would be a gift. 3 good CB's is a must.

Consider this one from Walter Football (dated 11/26):

27. Jahvid Best, RB, Cal. Nice player, but concussion is an issue and I don't see him being a 3 down player for the Pats.
45. Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M. Undersized pass rusher who lacks the size and strength to set the edge and play the run. Brandon Graham and Sergio Kindle are still on the board, as well as Eric Norwood and Jeremy Beal.
51. Arthur Jones, DE, Syracuse. Decent pick.
58. Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota. With OT/OG Gabe Carimi, RBs Ryan Mathews and Jonathan Dwyer, and DE/OLBs Eric Norwood and Jeremy Beal still on the board.

I'd rather have the following:

27. DE/elephant Carlos Dunlap or Everson Griffen, or DE/OLB Jerry Hughes
45. DE Arthur Jones or Corey Wootten, or OT/OG Gabe Carimi
51. RB Jonathan Dwyer or Ryan Mathews, or OT/OG Gabe Carimi
58. DE/OLBs Jeremy Beal or Eric Norwood.

DE Cameron Heyward and Allen Bailey, OG/C Maurkice Pouncey, and DE/OLB Jason Pierre-Paul and Greg Romeus don't figure in this draft, so I assume they think those guys are staying in school.

I miss him oh so much

Oh boy, we have another.
Mock 5.0: Tim Tebow is off to New England | Atlanta Falcons

Patriots select Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen falls out of the 1st round, Broncos select Demaryius Thomas at 11 over Dez Bryant, Seahawks don't take a LT with either of their 1st round picks.

Fail.

That's the worst use of our #22 in any mock I've seen.

Here's one that's a little better, though it really could not have been worse than the AJ-C writer's:

Scout.com: Scout.com: Steuber's Two-Round Mock Draft

Not as bad as Steuber's previous mock, but No WR + No Pass-Rusher = Fail.

I don't think that either Weatherspoon or Wootton fit Bill's defense; McCluster is too small as a regular-down player to be considered a 2nd-round value; and a pass-catcher is needed more on the outside than on the inside, though one is needed there, too...eventually, as in the 6th/7th rounds.

That's the worst use of our #22 in any mock I've seen.

Here's one that's a little better, though it really could not have been worse than the AJ-C writer's:

Scout.com: Scout.com: Steuber's Two-Round Mock Draft

Not as bad as Steuber's previous mock, but No WR + No Pass-Rusher = Fail.

I don't think that either Weatherspoon or Wootton fit Bill's defense; McCluster is too small as a regular-down player to be considered a 2nd-round value; and a pass-catcher is needed more on the outside than on the inside, though one is needed there, too...eventually, as in the 6th/7th rounds.

With that said, adding an elusive slot receiver is a must, and there's no one better than McCluster in this draft.

Julian_Edelman.jpg

Edleman and Welker are our slot receivers for 2010. We need an outside flanker type receiver to complement Moss.

I think that Weatherspoon could be a good ILB in the Pats system but he duplicates Mayo, he doesn't appear to be a SILB type, so we likely won't draft him. Talented kid though and I don't see him falling out of round 1. If Atlanta doesn't take him, he won't get by Arizona who needs to replace Dansby.

1. RB CJ Spiller
2a. QB Tim Tebow*
2b. WR Mardy Gilyard
2c. DE/OLB Sean Weatherspoon
4. DT Geno Atkins
6a. C Jim Cordle
6b [sic]. WR Carlton Mitchell
7a. LB Josh Hull
7b. S Justin Woodall
7c. FB Luke Lippincott
UDFA. QB Darryl Clark**
UDFA. P Brent Bowden
UDFA. OLB Brandon Crawford

*"I know this seems like a shocking pick, but I think Tim Tebow could be the best benefit to the Patriots after Brady's retired. If not Tebow, then get Tony Pike or Dan LeFevour, but the Patriots need to spend a high pick on a QB that can be the successor to Brady in a few years.

Terrence Cody could also be a good pick if the Pats can't keep Wilfork."

**"There should definitely be competition between [Clark] and Hoyer for the third slot behind Tebow.

Tebow is without a doubt the better athlete, but Darryl Clark, at least to me, seems like a better passer. With some work, Clark could maybe challenge Tebow for the back-up slot behind Brady."

The only thing I like about this that I haven't seen mocked to the Pats in other mocks is Luke Lippincott, he could really help out the run game as a hybrid RB/FB, I see him as more of a RB though but he could help as a lead blocker as well

Luke Lippincott could surprise a lot of people. He was great in 2007 but had injuries in 2008 and Vai got the starting position. In 2009 they split carries, Lippincott still managed to rush for over 1000 yards and averaged 7.7 ypc. His size/speed/running style reminds me of Craig James who played for the Pats back in the day. Had a great season in 1985, would have had more if it weren't for injuries. Both are around 6 foot and both around 215, not huge backs but run with alot of power, and shiftier and faster than given credit for

3000+ career rushing yards 30+ rushing tds and 400+ receiving yards and 5 tds (is a great receiver out of the backfield, they just didn't pass much in Nevada's pistol formation)

youtube.com/watch?v=nX1zcgvFnMs

Now tell me that isn't Craig James part 2 (if Craig James had stayed at his 1985 level)
We'd have a great runner who would have the ability to possibly have 1k multiple seasons (although probably less if we used him in rotation with other backs) all for a cheap 7th round pick.

Ok, if you don't want Veldheer as RT who do you want to want to play there? Kaczur is absolutely NOT the answer, you saw how the Colts D owned him and we definitely need to be able to beat the Colts if we want to get deep into the playoffs, so who do you pick?

Ok, if you don't want Veldheer as RT who do you want to want to play there? Kaczur is absolutely NOT the answer, you saw how the Colts D owned him and we definitely need to be able to beat the Colts if we want to get deep into the playoffs, so who do you pick?

The Colts are just one team, and Neal was injured. If Neal's fit, we're fine because we can simply double Mathis. If he's not, get Crumpler in to double him on every play.

I do think we could do with reinforcements, but the problem is working out who is worth picking at each of our spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back