PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 mock draft FAIL thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Once again, a chance for you to document any atrocious mock drafts you find. FAIL when it comes to the Patriots is my primary focus, of course, but any LOL-worthy drafts are fair game. :)

As I often do, I'll start with the good folks at Football's Future:

28 New England- Jerry Hughes - OLB/DE - TCU

So far, so good (except for the Pats picking at 28). . . .

42.New England(from/Tenn)- Jahvid Best - RB - California
49.New England(from Jax.)- Damian Williams - WR - USC
60.New England- Ryan Mathews - RB - Fresno St.

WTFF? :bricks:

Quote:
42.New England(from/Tenn)- Jahvid Best - RB - California
49.New England(from Jax.)- Damian Williams - WR - USC
60.New England- Ryan Mathews - RB - Fresno St.
..................................................................................:confused: From what little i know i don't think so.

Give me ten minutes and a list of names and i could do better......i think.

Last edited:
:confused: From what little i know i don't think so.

That's the point of this thread. . . . To share drafts that look like the maker(s) just threw darts at a list of players or something.

That's the point of this thread. . . . To share drafts that look like the maker(s) just threw darts at a list of players or something.
OK, I'll go back to playing my guitar and stay out of the way. ;)

Last edited:
Once again, a chance for you to document any atrocious mock drafts you find. FAIL when it comes to the Patriots is my primary focus, of course, but any LOL-worthy drafts are fair game. :)

LMFAO! I mean, I would take one of those 3 (preferably Mathews) but what person would draft 2 runningbacks in the first two rounds :p

Consider this one from Walter Football (dated 11/26):

27. Jahvid Best, RB, Cal. Nice player, but concussion is an issue and I don't see him being a 3 down player for the Pats.
45. Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M. Undersized pass rusher who lacks the size and strength to set the edge and play the run. Brandon Graham and Sergio Kindle are still on the board, as well as Eric Norwood and Jeremy Beal.
51. Arthur Jones, DE, Syracuse. Decent pick.
58. Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota. With OT/OG Gabe Carimi, RBs Ryan Mathews and Jonathan Dwyer, and DE/OLBs Eric Norwood and Jeremy Beal still on the board.

I'd rather have the following:

27. DE/elephant Carlos Dunlap or Everson Griffen, or DE/OLB Jerry Hughes
45. DE Arthur Jones or Corey Wootten, or OT/OG Gabe Carimi
51. RB Jonathan Dwyer or Ryan Mathews, or OT/OG Gabe Carimi
58. DE/OLBs Jeremy Beal or Eric Norwood.

DE Cameron Heyward and Allen Bailey, OG/C Maurkice Pouncey, and DE/OLB Jason Pierre-Paul and Greg Romeus don't figure in this draft, so I assume they think those guys are staying in school.

This is an excellent one to start off with. These picks are so terrible, the site must be run by JETS fans.

This is an excellent one to start off with. These picks are so terrible, the site must be run by JETS fans.

It's a site where anyone—including JEST fans—can make a mock.

To be fair, the guy claims he simply forgot that he had given the Pats Best when he gave them Mathews, although that's still FAIL in my book.

More fun from Football's FAIL:

27.New England Patriots-C.J. Spiller, RB-Clemson
This guy is just a playmaker. I know Maroney has played good as of late, but you dont pass up a chance to get a baller of C.J's kind. He has done it all at Clemson, and that type of versatility gets you a nice spot on the Pats roster.

No explanations for the second-rounders. And given what he comes up with, who can blame him? :rolleyes:

48.New England Patriots(From JAX)-George Selvie, OLB/DE-USF
49.New England Patriots(From TEN)-Tim Tebow, QB/Hback-Florida
59.New England Patriots-Brandon LaFell, WR-LSU

Last edited:
Last edited:
And now it's a rare turn for Draft Tek to join in the fun:

1. Ricky Sapp, Clemson, "3-4 OLB"
Sapp, a collegiate DE, would make the transition to OLB in the Patriots 3-4 scheme. He'd be a pass rushing threat, something New England severly lacks. Plus getting younger (and better) at LB is a need, big time.

Because, of course, BB loves first-round conversion projects!

2a. Cameron Heyward, Ohio State, "3-4 DE"
Heyward, a DT at Ohio State, would shift a few steps outside in the Patriots 3-4. He has the size and strength to play DE in their scheme and would push Jarvis Green and for PT opposite Ty Warren.

2b. Jahvid Best, Cal, RB
Despite their greatness over the past decade, New England's backfield has always been less than average in talent. That stops with the selection of Best

2c. Anthony McCoy, USC, TE
Benjamin Watson, Chris Baker, and Alex Smith are a solid but unspectatcular group and it's doubtful they'll all be back in 2010. Enter McCoy, another solid prospect from USC. While not as polished as Fred Davis in 2008, McCoy can hold his own on the field.

I'd say its VERY doubtufl that we'll have all three of those TE's back in 2010!

And now it's a rare turn for Draft Tek to join in the fun.

Cameron Heyward would be a fabulous pick. One of the players I would definitely consider worth a 1st round pick for us.

My version of DraftTek's draft:

1(17) Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama. Trade up with the Giants or Titans (at 16) to get McClain if he's still on the board that close to where we pick. Not sure how we would do it, but do it. The cost would be about a 3rd round pick. Possible our 2011 2nd rounder would do the trick.

2(48) Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State. He'll never last this long, but I'd jump if he were available. I'd take him at 22 if we couldn't trade up for McClain. Allen Bailey from Miami would be a nice consolation prize.

2(50) Greg Romeus, DE/OLB, Pitt (62). 6'5" 265# guy with a terrific motor and great upside.

2(54) Gabe Carimi, OT/OG, Wisconsin (89). 6'7" 325# road grader who can probably play both RG and RT. Vladimir Ducasse from UMass would be another option.

4(117) Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU (119). No way he lasts this long, but a fabulous RT prospect. I couldn't pass him up, though there may be bigger needs. Trading up for TE Aaron Hernandez (109) might be tempting as well.

There are a lot of guys on the DraftTek board who are seriously underrated:

#64 OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland
#65 DE/DT Cameron Heyward, Ohio St.
#77 WR Golden Tate, Notre Dame
#85 DE/DT Allen Bailey, Miami
#86 OT/OG Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
#101 TE Aaron Hernandez, Florida
#132 DE/OLB Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma
#140 DE/OLB Austen Lane, Murray St.
#141 DE/OLB Jason Pierre-Paul, USF
#156 RB/WR Dexter McCluster, Mississippi
#209 OT/OG Vladimir Ducasse, UMass
#323 RB LeGarrette Blount, Oregon

In addition to the draft picks listed above, I'd try to pick up:

- One of DE/OLB Jeremy Beal or Austen Lane.
- RB/WR Dexter McCluster

That would give us:

1(17) ILB Rolando McClain
2(48) DE Cameron Heyward
2(50) DE/OLB Greg Romeus
2(54) OT/OG Gabe Carimi/Vladimir Ducasse
3(117) OT Joseph Barksdale / TE Aaron Hernandez
(trade up) DE/OLB Austen Lane/Jeremy Beal
(trade up) RB/WR Dexter McCluster

I'd be ecstatic with that draft. Hard to do any better, IMHO. Can't see us getting that lucky, but I'd do backflips if it happened.

Here's one of the worst drafts I've seen, a 6 rounder which has the Pats taking 2 secondary players in the first 2 rounds:

NewNFLDraft.com: 2010 NFL Mock Draft

This mock has us taking:

22. Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech.
46. Mardy Gilyard, WR.
53. Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State.
54. Reshad Jones, S, Georgia.
117. Desmond Brizcoe, WR, Kansas. 2 WRs? Come on.
181. Curtis Gregory, OG, Missouri.

Some other notable picks in this draft:

127. Gabe Carimi, OT/OG, Wisconsin.
129. Greg Romeus, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh.
130. Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma.
138. Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State.
140. Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho.
160. Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida.
167. Vladimir Ducasse, OT/OG, UMass.
176. Austen Lane, DE/OLB, Murray State.

This is probably the worst mock I've seen so far this year. We could start at pick 127 and get a much better draft than what they projected. I'd jump at Greg Romeus and either Jeremy Beal or Austen Lane at DE/OLB, one of Mike Iupati/Gabe Carimi/Vladimir Ducasse at RG/RT, Aaron Hernandez at TE and Ryan Mathews at RB. That would be a fabulous draft.

Hello, fellow draft fiends. I haven't been a round in quite a while, due to some real-life business to take care of,but I try to keep up with reading while I don't have time to post.

This thread is one of my favorites. Nothing like humor to bring us together; I much prefer that to the endless debates over binky stardom. ;)

That said, if I could combine the last two drafts that were posted so we end up with Cameron Heyward, Damaryous Thomas, and one each of Jonathan Dwyer/CJ Spiller/Jahvid Best and Greg Romeous/Ricky Sapp, I'd be pretty happy. Some great talent there, though Romeus and Sapp are definitely not my pick of conversion projects.

I am tempted to put together my own bad draft later this afternoon, if I have the time. I think I'd find the whole process wildly cathartic--you should see my draft notebooks sometime! The scrawlings therein would probably land me in the madhouse if they ever became public. *grin*

Here's one of the worst drafts I've seen, a 6 rounder which has the Pats taking 2 secondary players in the first 2 rounds:
(not being able to quote links is a pain)

5 OTs in the top 12, Gerald McCoy lasting to 16, Colt McCoy going 26, and I'd run out of fingers if I was counting grammar errors.

And did you notice that the words "2010 NFL Mock Draft" are in the description of every single pick?

If I could combine the last two drafts that were posted so we end up with Cameron Heyward, Damaryous Thomas, and one each of Jonathan Dwyer/CJ Spiller/Jahvid Best and Greg Romeous/Ricky Sapp, I'd be pretty happy. Some great talent there, though Romeus and Sapp are definitely not my pick of conversion projects.

Who are your pick of the conversion projects. I've counted 21 potential guys:

- Derrick Morgan*, Georgia Tech. 6'4" 268#. 1st round pick, likely top 15.
- Carlos Dunlap*, Florida. 6'6" 270-270#. Probably 1st round pick, possibly top 15.
- Greg Hardy, Mississippi. 6'5" 265#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Jason Pierre-Paul*, USF. 6'6" 265#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Sergio Kindle, Texas. 6'4" 254#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Jerry Hughes, Texas Tech. 6'3" 257#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Everson Griffen*, USC. 6'3" 270+#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Brandon Graham, Michigan. 6'2" 268#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Eric Norwood, South Carolina. 6', 252#. Likely 2nd round pick.
- Greg Romeus*, Pittsburgh. 6'5" 265#. Likely 2nd round pick.
- Ricky Sapp, Clemson. 6'4" 248#. Likely 2nd round pick.
- Von Miller*, Texas A&M. 6'3" 240#. Likely 2nd round pick.
- Jeremy Beal*, Oklahoma. 6'3" 260#. Likely 2nd round pick.
- Austen Lane, Murray State. 6'6" 260#. 2nd/3rd round pick.
- Jermaine Cunningham, Florida. 6'3" 250#. Likely 3rd round pick.
- Brandon Lang, Troy. 6'4", 250#. 3rd/4th round pick.
- Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech. 6'2" 252#. 3rd/4th round pick.
- George Selvie, USF. 6'4" 245#. 3rd/4th round pick.
- Willie Young, North Carolina. 6'4" 250#. 3rd/4th round pick.
- O'Brien Schofield, Wisconsin. 6'2" 248#. 3rd/4th round pick.
- Lindsey Witten, Connecticut. 6'4" 258#. 4th/5th round pick.

My 3 favorites are Greg Romeus, Jeremy Beal, and Austen Lane. Greg Hardy is up there, but his injury and inconsistency issues drop him a bit. Brandon Graham and Eric Norwood are up there, but there lack of height drop them a bit for me. Not sure if Jerry Hughes or Sergio Kindle are stout enough to set the edge. Everyone else has major question marks for me. I'd love to hear your views.

Not sure if Jerry Hughes or Sergio Kindle are stout enough to set the edge. Everyone else has major question marks for me. I'd love to hear your views.

I really wanted to do the bowl TCU is going to, but instead got stuck with South Carolina and the Papa john bowl.

However I am probably going to DVR the TCU game just to check out Hughes against a quality opponent. I missed the Clemson-TCU game earlier this year.

After viewing the DVR, I should have a better feel on Hughes being a BB type 3-4 OLB.

His productive this season is really impressive.

2(50) Greg Romeus, DE/OLB, Pitt (62). 6'5" 265# guy with a terrific motor and great upside.

OK here is a perfect case in point, Romeus. Based on height, weight and production, he meets the standards that should get him on the BB draft board. Now if he runs a 4.6 or better at the combine, he would make an ideal "draft and development" 3-4 OLB candidate.

Right now the kid's game is raw and has a few warts. IE: he disappears for long stretches of the game, lacks the technique/ability to set a proper edge and is NOT sudden or explosive. In my book a solid third round pick, maybe late second if a team does not require him to show up in the running game.

The first year with us he plays ST's and backs up whatever retread veteran BB can overpay to start for us. Also during the year Romeus is working with Woicick to get stronger, faster, quicker and at the same time working with the position coach to learn the techniques required to be a 3-4 OLB, then is year 2 or 3, we cut this kid lose and if coached up properly, he should have the ability to be a quality player in our 3-4 base defense.

If nothing else BB should at least have a guy or two like this in the developmental phase/pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down