PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 mock draft FAIL thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if he had trumpeted his position on man-goat love before the draft, history could be very different.
Yeh, he'd have gone overall #1 and received the Nobel Peace Prize.

This one comes from Bleacher Report. Note that this is prefaced by saying, "This is what I think the Patriots might do in this year's draft."

1. RB CJ Spiller
2a. QB Tim Tebow*
2b. WR Mardy Gilyard
2c. DE/OLB Sean Weatherspoon
4. DT Geno Atkins
6a. C Jim Cordle
6b [sic]. WR Carlton Mitchell
7a. LB Josh Hull
7b. S Justin Woodall
7c. FB Luke Lippincott
UDFA. QB Darryl Clark**
UDFA. P Brent Bowden
UDFA. OLB Brandon Crawford

*"I know this seems like a shocking pick, but I think Tim Tebow could be the best benefit to the Patriots after Brady's retired. If not Tebow, then get Tony Pike or Dan LeFevour, but the Patriots need to spend a high pick on a QB that can be the successor to Brady in a few years.

Terrence Cody could also be a good pick if the Pats can't keep Wilfork."

**"There should definitely be competition between [Clark] and Hoyer for the third slot behind Tebow.

Tebow is without a doubt the better athlete, but Darryl Clark, at least to me, seems like a better passer. With some work, Clark could maybe challenge Tebow for the back-up slot behind Brady."

This one comes from Bleacher Report. Note that this is prefaced by saying, "This is what I think the Patriots might do in this year's draft."

1. RB CJ Spiller
2a. QB Tim Tebow*
2b. WR Mardy Gilyard
4. DT Geno Atkins
6a. C Jim Cordle
7a. LB Josh Hull
7b. S Justin Woodall
7c. FB Luke Lippincott
UDFA. QB Darryl Clark**
UDFA. P Brent Bowden

*"I know this seems like a shocking pick, but I think Tim Tebow could be the best benefit to the Patriots after Brady's retired. If not Tebow, then get Tony Pike or Dan LeFevour, but the Patriots need to spend a high pick on a QB that can be the successor to Brady in a few years.

**"There should definitely be competition between [Clark] and Hoyer for the third slot behind Tebow.

Tebow is without a doubt the better athlete, but Darryl Clark, at least to me, seems like a better passer. With some work, Clark could maybe challenge Tebow for the back-up slot behind Brady."
You found this is the hippie corner, right?

That's just awful. This is indeed a FAIL mock.

WTF is it with everyone marrying us to Tebow? Have they not tried to anal-yze our roster, and not seen how thin we are at so many positions? Why in the world would any sane man (outside of Fatso Andy Reid) draft somebody in the 2nd round and then pray that he never sees the field for any meaningful snaps for the entirety of his rookie contract?

1. RB CJ Spiller
2a. QB Tim Tebow*
2b. WR Mardy Gilyard
4. DT Geno Atkins
6a. C Jim Cordle
7a. LB Josh Hull
7b. S Justin Woodall
7c. FB Luke Lippincott
UDFA. QB Darryl Clark**
UDFA. P Brent Bowden

DE?!?!?!? Were they shooting up when they came up with that?

That is shockingly bad.

I'd like to submit one from NFLUK.com by the way. We've been playing a quick, two round pre-free agency Draft game, and this is what the Pats GM (sadly not me - I was in charge of the Giants) came up with:

R1 #22 - Everson Griffen

R2 #44 - Brandon LaFell

R2 #47 - Lamarr Houston (he had him projected to 3-4 DE :eek:)

R2 #53 - Tim Tebow (...speechless...)

I gave it a Z- as I don't rate Griffen, whilst Graham and Odrick were still on the board, I don't rate LaFell, who has very very average athleticism and even worse hands, as I've noted Houston was projected to 3-4 DE - shocking, and as for Tebow.....well.

DE?!?!?!? Were they shooting up when they came up with that?

That is shockingly bad.

Brit - Maybe you were the one shooting up..

Witherspoon plays DE in the 4-3 packages. I'm not saying he's good there, but that's where he played.

Personally, I don't think he fits the system.

This one comes from Bleacher Report.
2a. QB Tim Tebow*
UDFA. QB Darryl Clark**
The Patriots need to spend a high pick on a QB that can be the successor to Brady in a few years.

That's really a thing of beauty. If you're a Tebow believer, fine. But to spend a high pick on a QB while saying a UDFA might be better than him? That's a special kind of fail.

Brit - Maybe you were the one shooting up..

Witherspoon plays DE in the 4-3 packages. I'm not saying he's good there, but that's where he played.

Personally, I don't think he fits the system.

Sean Weatherspoon, of Missouri, has played at DE? When and where, because I've seen two years worth of footage, about 5/6 hours combined, and not one snap has been at DE.

Not one.

I've seen him playing MLB, SLB, ILB in some 3-4 looks.

Not one at DE.

It's an absurd note to put on his position.

Sean Weatherspoon, of Missouri, has played at DE? When and where, because I've seen two years worth of footage, about 5/6 hours combined, and not one snap has been at DE.

Not one.

I've seen him playing MLB, SLB, ILB in some 3-4 looks.

Not one at DE.

It's an absurd note to put on his position.

I think tha Weatherspoon will be a good ILB. I thought he was all over the field in the Seniro Bowl. He looked good in coverage too. He is not big enough to play DE in the NFL. I did see him line up at OLB at Mizzo, I don't recall any DE snaps.

From a JEST fan at Football's Future:

Kansas City # 5 to Patriots for # 22 and 3rd rounder
[This would actually be EPIC WIN, but FAIL is coming. ;)]

5) Patriots(Via Chiefs)- Rolando Mcclain- Bama- Mcclain and Mayo on the inside…that is a FIERCE duo, maybe a corner in the 1st but they can get that in later rounds and have plenty of picks this year and next year and Pioli always loves more picks

44) Pats- Eric Norwood- SC- man is a beast, had a great combine, could go 1st round
[Wait for it. . . .]

47) Pats- Patrick Robinson- FSU- They need some help at corner- Build up that D the best you can

53) Pats- I DON’T KNOW ANYMORE THE PATS HAVE TOO MANY I CANT DO THIS MUCH LONGER IM DONE GUESSING LOL

And, yes, that's where it ends. :rofl: :rofl:

C
I'd rather have the following:

27. DE/elephant Carlos Dunlap or Everson Griffen, or DE/OLB Jerry Hughes

I'm really not enamored with Dunlap. He had terrible interviews at the Combine and he has character red flags including getting into a DUI right before his bowl game leading to a suspension by coach Urban Meyer. No thanks, I smell a punk.

http://www.shnock.com/carlos-dunlap-arrested-7358/

Last edited:
I'm really not enamored with Dunlap. He had terrible interviews at the Combine and he has character red flags including getting into a DUI right before his bowl game leading to a suspension by coach Urban Meyer. No thanks, I smell a punk.

Carlos Dunlap Arrested

But he is only 20 years old and bound to mature.

If I am BB I have to ask myself,how important is football in this young man's life?

But he is only 20 years old and bound to mature.

Based on what, the fact that he's only 20? Plenty of people go through their whole lives and manage to never mature.

If I am BB I have to ask myself,how important is football in this young man's life?

If he's getting a DUI the night before an important game I'd say 'not very', pass.

I'd like to submit one from NFLUK.com by the way. We've been playing a quick, two round pre-free agency Draft game, and this is what the Pats GM (sadly not me - I was in charge of the Giants) came up with:

R1 #22 - Everson Griffen

R2 #44 - Brandon LaFell

R2 #47 - Lamarr Houston (he had him projected to 3-4 DE :eek:)

R2 #53 - Tim Tebow (...speechless...)

I gave it a Z- as I don't rate Griffen, whilst Graham and Odrick were still on the board, I don't rate LaFell, who has very very average athleticism and even worse hands, as I've noted Houston was projected to 3-4 DE - shocking, and as for Tebow.....well.

Have you seen Houston play? He was a 4-3 DE for his first 2 years at Texas. I think he'd be an excellent fit at 3-4 DE, despite lacking an inch or two in height.

As for mock draft fail...

NewNFLDraft.com: 2010 NFL Mock Draft have us taking Donovan Warren CB, Patrick Robinson CB, Reshad Jones FS, and "deep threat" Jordan Shipley in the first 2 rounds.

Have you seen Houston play? He was a 4-3 DE for his first 2 years at Texas. I think he'd be an excellent fit at 3-4 DE, despite lacking an inch or two in height.

Yes, I have, hence the scary eyes smiley.

He's a 4-3 DT. Drafting him to play 3-4 DE would be a disaster.

Yes, I have, hence the scary eyes smiley.

He's a 4-3 DT. Drafting him to play 3-4 DE would be a disaster.

He's a penetrating DT who usually commands a double team and still makes noise in the backfield. He's been moved all over the D-line through college. He could very well be an excellent 3-4 DE in the NFL.

Having watched every UT game he past 2 years, I'd be delighted if we traded up for him in Rd3.

Post-combine mocks have been appearing, so I thought I'd submit this disasterpiece for your consideration:

Scout.com: Scout.com: Steuber's Two-Round Mock Draft

If you thought that was bad, wait until you click Round 2.

Disasterpiece is correct.

Weatherspoon -- good player that has no position in the Patriots scheme
Wootton -- decent 3-4 DE prospect
Veldheer -- I like the kid, but really?
Tebow -- no comment

Passing on Kindle once and Hughes three times is unexcusable.

Disasterpiece is correct.

Weatherspoon -- good player that has no position in the Patriots scheme
Wootton -- decent 3-4 DE prospect
Veldheer -- I like the kid, but really?
Tebow -- no comment

Passing on Kindle once and Hughes three times is unexcusable.

Why not grab Veldheer? If we could put him on RT we could move Vollmer to LT and start giving Brady some real protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back