PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 Patriots vs. 2013 Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Peyton hates that Brady holds the TD record. They are cordial but I don't think he respects Brady all that much and wants to regain this record. Sadly, he's a favorite to do it.

I'm sure he does want to regain that record but what makes you think he doesn't respect Brady?

I think we can safely say this Denver team isn't going 5-8 the rest of the way, and are probably not going to end up 10th in scoring offense as well.

That said, they don't look like a traditional playoff model to me. Not only would I like Seattle's chances against them, I think they would win somewhat comfortably.

That 2009 defense was derailed by injuries. At game 3, with a 37-year-old QB backed up by Zac Dysert and Brock Osweiler, I wouldn't be so sure on the 'safe' remark. I don't wish injuries on Manning, but they happen - statistically more frequently at that age. If he goes down, that team with all its talent is in big trouble against any team.

And I wasn't suggesting the Broncos will flop (again, the schedule is weak unless some of the lame-looking teams elevate their game). Only that it is too early to tell what the Broncos might do.

The majority of this post is irrelevant and nonsensical.

Notice that the title of the thread is '2007 Patriots vs. 2013 Broncos'. No one is comparing this year's Patriots to either of them. I know this is difficult for you to do, but it helps to read and stay within the proper context of the thread, then you could appear to at minimum give off the illusion that you know what you're talking about.

Most of what you stated has nothing to do with the thread at hand. Good try, good effort.

Just a suggestion, it is possible to make your point without calling people names and coming off as arrogant, pompous and self-righteous. People tune you out and your message gets lost. I understand at times folks get into it with one another or a debate gets heated, but you turn to personal insults unprovoked, surprised you haven't been dinged by a mod yet. Tune that down and you'll probably find this place more enjoyable.

Not a sermon....

This is a pointless exercise to do prior to the end of the year. If the Broncos beat all the records set in that magical 2007 season and have more success than that team (ie win the SB), then an argument can be made.

Having said that, up until this point, they have looked just as dominant.

I just want to point out that Denver is doing this without Miller and Bailey, both of whom should return and make the team's defense more formidable.

the one thing that the patriots had to face and the broncos will not is the schedule . . . we play a lot of playoff teams and got everybody's A game . . . everyone in the country knew what was going to happen after the camera incident in week 1 . . . I think NFLN started the Path to Perfection like in week 4 or something . . .

Its to late for me to check my numbers again but this is what we had to face (from memory)

#1 (away and undefeated at the time) , #5, and #6 seeds in the NFC

#2 (away and undefeated at the time), #3, #4, and #7 seeds in the AFC . . .

Everybody was gunning for us and were so spent that our opponents records after playing us was 1-14 with only Phily winning the following week (Giants was the last game of the season) . . . but we had to go out and play a team gunning or us and we won . . .

we went into Texas Stadium to face the Cowboys, who were undefeated at the time, and it set a record for the latest point in a season two undefeated teams met . . . we put up one point shy of the scoring record in that 35+ years of the stadium

we late faced the undefeated colts away, breaking the above record, and even tho the NFL saddled us with a franchise record in penalties yards, we still won . . .

and so on . . .

The 2013 Broncos will not be facing the kind of scrutiny and opponents that the 2007 pats has to face, so unless they blow the doors off the pats records, I will take the 2007 season . . .

I might be wrong, and I don't have time to check it this morning, but IIRC the 2007 Patriots faced undefeated (at the time of the game) teams for the first 6 consecutive weeks in 2007.

That's incredible.

2007 was a season that will never be matched. And, unfortunately, SB 42 is football history's most crushing loss. Had the Pats won that game, there would never ever be an argument until the end of time about football's greatest team.

That 2009 defense was derailed by injuries. At game 3, with a 37-year-old QB backed up by Zac Dysert and Brock Osweiler, I wouldn't be so sure on the 'safe' remark. I don't wish injuries on Manning, but they happen - statistically more frequently at that age. If he goes down, that team with all its talent is in big trouble against any team.

And I wasn't suggesting the Broncos will flop (again, the schedule is weak unless some of the lame-looking teams elevate their game). Only that it is too early to tell what the Broncos might do.

So is any team. That's why QBs make the big bucks. :confused2:

2009 was only partially derailed by injuries, the truth is that they just weren't that good and their performance ended up correcting over the course of the season. Denver's passing offense doesn't have that problem, unless even more OL start going down.

I just want to point out that Denver is doing this without Miller and Bailey, both of whom should return and make the team's defense more formidable.

Yup. But they will have to face a competent offense eventually as well. ;)

Whatever reasons to poke holes in NE's defensive performance, Denver has that x2.

I might be wrong, and I don't have time to check it this morning, but IIRC the 2007 Patriots faced undefeated (at the time of the game) teams for the first 6 consecutive weeks in 2007.

That's incredible.

Bills (week 3), Bengals (week 4), Browns (week 5) had previously lost. But they did stop the Cowboys and Colts undefeated seasons to that point.

Now I think they were something like 8-0 against 2007 playoff teams in the regular season. THAT is amazing.

2007 was a season that will never be matched. And, unfortunately, SB 42 is football history's most crushing loss. Had the Pats won that game, there would never ever be an argument until the end of time about football's greatest team.

Kind of unrelated but that 16-0 banner doesn't bother me anymore. In fact I think it's great.

We all know how that season ended but after watching the Colts punt on an undefeated season in 09 because they didn't have the guts to go for it, and the fact that no other team has done it, I think 16-0 is an accomplishment that deserves all the praise and chest thumping it gets. Keep that banner up.

So is any team. That's why QBs make the big bucks. :confused2:

True. But how many teams have (1) a 37-year-old QB that (2) missed an entire season due to major neck surgery? If you believe those issues don't increase that possibility, and you believe QBs that age are as solid as they were at age 26, then there isn't much I can say to clear up your confusion.

True. But how many teams have (1) a 37-year-old QB that (2) missed an entire season due to major neck surgery? If you believe those issues don't increase that possibility, and you believe QBs that age are as solid as they were at age 26, then there isn't much I can say to clear up your confusion.

Nice attempt.

Barring an option style offense, QB injuries aren't common enough to build too heavily into your projection models.

Yup. But they will have to face a competent offense eventually as well. ;)

Absolutely. Time will tell the tale. I don't expect the 2013 Broncos to be better than the 2007 Patriots.

Bills (week 3), Bengals (week 4), Browns (week 5) had previously lost. But they did stop the Cowboys and Colts undefeated seasons to that point.

Now I think they were something like 8-0 against 2007 playoff teams in the regular season. THAT is amazing.

My bad.

I know the Pats DID face something like that in one season last decade. Perhaps 2004?

Why does everyone keep forgetting that it snows in Denver
Is he the best "Snow Game" QB in the history of the NFL?

manning.jpg

Three weeks in is way too early to draw these comparisons. After four weeks last year, people thought the Cardinals were legitimate playoff contenders after going 4-0 and having a shutdown defense. They finished the season 5-11.

Anything can happen at this point. Manning could get a season ending injury next week and they probably don't score as many TDs for the rest of the season as they did in the first three weeks.

If I was a betting man, I might bet that Manning will beat Brady's TD record. Manning refuses to hand off the ball in the red zone. Through three games, the Broncos have rushed the ball five times in the red zone and only twice in a x down and goal situation. If this was a the Pats with this type of offense, Brady would probably have half the TDs because the Pats would have run the ball far more in the red zone. If a RB is going to score TDs in a Manning offense, they are going to have to do it rushing from outside the red zone.

Which is awesome for all of you new Bronco fans.

And yet, you are arguing the Pats' defense isn't as good as we think it is because of the competition and talking about how much better the Broncos defense will get adding an over the hill Bailey and a very good Miller after beating up on three really bad offenses.

So the Pats' defense is an unknown quantity because they faced crappy offenses, but the Broncos' defense is great and only getting better because they didn't do as well as the Pats' defense against about as bad offenses as the Pats faced. You Broncos fans get me.

I don't think ill be able to handle an entire season of the nuthugging manning is going to get with their schedule against the worst defenses in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes