PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 Patriots vs. 2013 Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are going to beat both points and passing TDs. Make no mistake, Peyton is on a mission to beat Brady's records.

The only records that matter is playoff wins and losses. You know what Tom Brady's great season is worth? Nothing..... Without a ring..

Hate to say this but Brady hasn't exactly been stalwart in the playoffs either lately the past few years ... Both of these future HOFs have struggled in the playoffs.

since his last SB win in 2004 Brady is 8-7 in the playoffs, above 0.500

Since his SB win in 2006, Manning is 2-5 in the playoffs . . .

I would say 2-5 is struggling but not 8-7 . . .

the one thing that the patriots had to face and the broncos will not is the schedule . . . we play a lot of playoff teams and got everybody's A game . . . everyone in the country knew what was going to happen after the camera incident in week 1 . . . I think NFLN started the Path to Perfection like in week 4 or something . . .

Its to late for me to check my numbers again but this is what we had to face (from memory)

#1 (away and undefeated at the time) , #5, and #6 seeds in the NFC

#2 (away and undefeated at the time), #3, #4, and #7 seeds in the AFC . . .

Everybody was gunning for us and were so spent that our opponents records after playing us was 1-14 with only Phily winning the following week (Giants was the last game of the season) . . . but we had to go out and play a team gunning or us and we won . . .

we went into Texas Stadium to face the Cowboys, who were undefeated at the time, and it set a record for the latest point in a season two undefeated teams met . . . we put up one point shy of the scoring record in that 35+ years of the stadium

we late faced the undefeated colts away, breaking the above record, and even tho the NFL saddled us with a franchise record in penalties yards, we still won . . .

and so on . . .

The 2013 Broncos will not be facing the kind of scrutiny and opponents that the 2007 pats has to face, so unless they blow the doors off the pats records, I will take the 2007 season . . .

It's insulting to compare this team to the 2007 Patriots. STOP. STOP over-hyping the Broncos.

All credit due to their Bronco looking GM though. Elway went out and actually got his aging QB some weapons. Unlike someone else here in NE who thinks his aging QB has time for 4 rookies to develop. (2 or3 being undrafted) Not to mention letting our QBs fav receiver and best friend walk to our conference rival...right after Brady takes an extremely generous pay-cut in hopes the team can sign an extra guy or 2

This whole thread is pointless for one simple reason: the 2007 season was over long time ago…. The 2013 has just begun. We’re not even quarter of the way into this season, and people are already jumping into conclusions about the donkeys. I’m not wishing harm upon anyone, but an injury here, and bad play there, can go a long way in determining the outcome of a football game. This is a VERY unpredictable game, and on any given Sunday…. Well, you know how it goes….

This thread would have merit IF (and that’s a HUGE IF) the Broncos end up undefeated. Until then, they’re just another 3-0 team, having beaten bottom feeders (yes, the Ravens have not exactly exhibited SB material thus far). Until week 17 concludes, do us all a favor and stop comparing the two teams. As it stands right now, the 2013 Broncos are 3-0, and the 2007 Pats are 18-0.

Of course. I don't expect Manning to be able to keep this up forever, but the Broncos are killing their opponents right now. Their next 5 opponents:

Eagles
Cowboys
Jaguars
Colts
Redskins

Manning should be able to keep piling on the points all the way through the Broncos bye week.

Honestly, with the combination of an absolutely pathetic schedule and Manning's general reluctance to run the ball in the red zone....

and the fact that Denver is really, really good, of course ;)

I'll be surprised if Tom's record doesn't go down.

I couldn't care less.

It's not cold yet. The Broncos aren't THE target yet.

But they will be.

Let's take a look at Decker in the off season.....me likes

Even though the Broncos offense looks scary good, I still don't think they'll go undefeated or win the SB. Seahawks and 49ers would dismantle the offense and defense if they were to play in the SB. Given how difficult it is to go undefeated (2011 Packers, 2009 Saints and Colts, and the 2008 Titans) I just don't see it happening. All of those teams (maybe minus the Titans) were absolutely great teams, and yet, they didn't go undefeated. And all of them, minus the Saints, didn't win a SB.

They have some tougher games coming up - eagles, cowboys and colts. I really think indy could cause some problems for them. Even oakland could have made last night competetive if they had a decent qb.

Honestly, with the combination of an absolutely pathetic schedule and Manning's general reluctance to run the ball in the red zone....

and the fact that Denver is really, really good, of course ;)

I'll be surprised if Tom's record doesn't go down.

If the stupid ravens bothered to show up on opening night manning probably would have only 9 tds instead of 13

since his last SB win in 2004 Brady is 8-7 in the playoffs, above 0.500

Since his SB win in 2006, Manning is 2-5 in the playoffs . . .

I would say 2-5 is struggling but not 8-7 . . .

Plus brady has 2 super bowl appearances and 4 afccg appearances since 2004. Peyton goes one and done more often.

Ultimately, we'd have to look at their defense/sepcial team to see how many more opportunities Peyton will get to score (and average drive in yards). (And isn't it Bree's record that would be broken and not Brady's?). I know the Pats 2007 defense was statistically good, but i felt it just benefited from an offense that could have retired their punter/rarely left the field in short yardage. 2007 was able to sustain drives without lots of help from opposing defenses.

Right now their pass defense seems susceptible, but their run defense appears to be dominant (which is a bit of a surprise given that they use undersized LBers and rely more on speed). Maybe it's the weak opponents, but we'll get to see them at home this year and it should give us all a better indicator of where we stand in comparison.

If you are a Denver fan, you have to be pretty pumped about the possibility of 2013.

Plus brady has 2 super bowl appearances and 4 afccg appearances since 2004. Peyton goes one and done more often.

Do other players play in these games or just QBs?

Hate to say this but Brady hasn't exactly been stalwart in the playoffs either lately the past few years ... Both of these future HOFs have struggled in the playoffs.

I think Brady's 2012 SB performance was pretty good myself. He broke records for consecutive passes. It didn't start out well with the safety, but as Boomer Esiason explained, that was a ridiculously bad call. Should never have happened. Against the Ravens the last 2 times out, Brady was pretty bad. But don't forget what Brady did to get to those championship games. He was stellar.

Last couple years, Brady played well in 3 out of 5 playoff games. Broncos, Texans, Giants. He played poorly in 2: Ravens x2.

At game 3, most teams are still finding their way. Teams a little more together at the outset look better, while teams behind the curve look worse. Jumping to conclusions at this point is premature, to say the least.

Teams go 6-0 and crash. Others start 0-2 and win titles, or get throttled 31-0 by the Bills in the opening game prior to winning it all. I agree with Deus that the Broncos schedule looks miserably weak, but any loss may shut up the talk of an unstoppable juggernaut. It would have been nice to see an earlier game against KC while it still believes it cannot lose.

In the end, Bella*chick is right. Playing at this level in perfect conditions is an accomplishment, but sustaining in ice, snow and cold is incredibly difficult. If the Broncos start chasing season records, every defense in the NFL will see a bulls-eye. I may look at this scenario after game 8.

And for a little poetic justice, let us not forgot similar hype about the Donkey's defense in 2009 after 3 games. Where did that force of nature end up? 8-8 and middle of the road in points allowed. No playoffs. It's a long season.

If the stupid ravens bothered to show up on opening night manning probably would have only 9 tds instead of 13

The Ravens kinda blow.

Ultimately, we'd have to look at their defense/sepcial team to see how many more opportunities Peyton will get to score (and average drive in yards). (And isn't it Bree's record that would be broken and not Brady's?). I know the Pats 2007 defense was statistically good, but i felt it just benefited from an offense that could have retired their punter/rarely left the field in short yardage. 2007 was able to sustain drives without lots of help from opposing defenses.

Right now their pass defense seems susceptible, but their run defense appears to be dominant (which is a bit of a surprise given that they use undersized LBers and rely more on speed). Maybe it's the weak opponents, but we'll get to see them at home this year and it should give us all a better indicator of where we stand in comparison.

If you are a Denver fan, you have to be pretty pumped about the possibility of 2013.

Indy's D was often solid the first couple weeks as well, but tailed off as the fast guys slowed down over the course of the season.

At game 3, most teams are still finding their way. Teams a little more together at the outset look better, while teams behind the curve look worse. Jumping to conclusions at this point is premature, to say the least.

Teams go 6-0 and crash. Others start 0-2 and win titles, or get throttled 31-0 by the Bills in the opening game prior to winning it all. I agree with Deus that the Broncos schedule looks miserably weak, but any loss may shut up the talk of an unstoppable juggernaut. It would have been nice to see an earlier game against KC while it still believes it cannot lose.

In the end, Bella*chick is right. Playing at this level in perfect conditions is an accomplishment, but sustaining in ice, snow and cold is incredibly difficult. If the Broncos start chasing season records, every defense in the NFL will see a bulls-eye. I may look at this scenario after game 8.

And for a little poetic justice, let us not forgot similar hype about the Donkey's defense in 2009 after 3 games. Where did that force of nature end up? 8-8 and middle of the road in points allowed. No playoffs. It's a long season.

I think we can safely say this Denver team isn't going 5-8 the rest of the way, and are probably not going to end up 10th in scoring offense as well.

That said, they don't look like a traditional playoff model to me. Not only would I like Seattle's chances against them, I think they would win somewhat comfortably.

I think everyone is a little bit jealous of how Denver is playing right now, who cares what the 2007 pats did or what the Broncos are doing all I care about are the 2013 pats cause at the end of the day they have the same 3-0 record that Denver dose so there is no reason to be jealous

and.... the truth shall set you free :D

It'll be awhile before we know if the Broncos are this dominant or their competition is simply this bad. Right now my eyeball test is telling me they're a very good team that has been facing lousy competition. The fact that they're quite a ways off the 2007 Pats' per drive stats leads me to believe that their current scoring totals are unsustainable; I'd expect them to end up closer to the 2011 Pack than the 2007 Pats when it's all said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes