PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 Patriots vs. 2013 Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Josh McDaniels went out and got the Broncos some weapons (Thomas, Decker and Moreno)

They weren't even trying for Welker until he basically called them because he didn't want to go to Tennessee and only wanted to resign with the Patriots on his terms.

Yeah, the only weapons Elway acquired for Manning were Welker (who fell in their lap), Julius Thomas (who sat on the bench for two years doing nothing including last year with Manning there), Ball (who has done nothing thus far), and Hillman (who really hasn't done much). Their best skill players on offense other than Welker were drafted by McDaniels.

Too soon to make any comparison. Their schedule is ridiculously easy. 07 Pats had to play Pittsburgh, Colts, Chargers, and the Cowboys who were also undefeated at the time of the game.

Too soon to make any comparison. Their schedule is ridiculously easy. 07 Pats had to play Pittsburgh, Colts, Chargers, and the Cowboys who were also undefeated at the time of the game.

Lets not forget that they also had 6 games against teams in the AFC East that finished with 12 wins combined.

Better question might be, are the 2013 Broncos better than the 2013 Patriots?

Let's face it, the Broncos look pretty darn good so far (including the squirt playing slot receiver - sigh). I am hoping that they run into a wall mid-season, and that that wall be us.

Thank you for injecting some sanity into this thread. It's premature for any greatest ever comparisons right now; in fact, last I checked the lowly Patriots had the same record as the Broncos. I don't really think it's far-fetched that the Patriots have a better overall roster than the Broncos, and by December, with some good fortune on the injury front, these Patriots might be holding their own just fine.

Thank you for injecting some sanity into this thread. It's premature for any greatest ever comparisons right now; in fact, last I checked the lowly Patriots had the same record as the Broncos. I don't really think it's far-fetched that the Patriots have a better overall roster than the Broncos, and by December, with some good fortune on the injury front, these Patriots might be holding their own just fine.
Especially if pats have an elite defense here. Which we will know in the next 3 weeks. Not to mention two of the broncos biggest stars, Peyton and Wes(in recent years), have had a lot of post season struggles.

From the Bruschi chat today:

Gil Cabral (Sacamento, CA)

Can the Patriots win against the Denver Broncos?
Tedy
(11:12 AM)

No, not at this point. But the game isn't until Nov. 24. This Patriots team has to vastly improve before that matchup.

Nice attempt.

Barring an option style offense, QB injuries aren't common enough to build too heavily into your projection models.

While I appreciate your condescending response, try to grasp history before you go that route. Read this article, then reprogram your apparently sophisticated projection model accordingly and let me know what you come up with. There have been numerous significant QB injuries by week 3 this year (Jets, Bills and Browns). RG3 was one of several last year (yes, option style), and there are typically several important QB injuries every year. If you believe these injuries are improbable, particularly when a QB has already been seriously injured previously, I can only suggest you educate yourself and get up to speed on reality in the NFL before you claim enlightenment on the topic. Sheesh.

If Peyton can do it (break records), all credit to him. Why wouldn't anyone not want to watch greatness? But their 2nd half schedule seems tough. 5 of 8 on the road (4 of 6).

What I'd love to see is this.

The 2013 Broncos resemble the 2004 Colts. Those Colts were #1 in points scored (522, 32.6 ppg) and #2 in yards gained. They had an OSRS (a metric found at profootball-reference.com) of 11.7.

The Patriots resemble the 2004 Patriots. Those Patriots were #2 in points allowed (260, 16.3 ppg) and #9 in yards allowed. They had a DSRS of 6.5.

Currently, the 2013 Broncos are #1 in points scored and #1 in yards gained. They have an OSRS of 24.3.

Currently, the 2013 Patriots are #2 in points allowed and #8 in yards allowed. They have a DSRS of 16.6.

What happened in the playoffs that year? The Pats beat the Colts 20-3, allowing just 276 yards.

I hope something similar happens this year between the Patriots and Broncos. :D

If Gronk and Amendola can return to the field and stay healthy, the Patriots offense should become much better, and narrow the gap with the offense of the Broncos. Also, teams improve, or regress, at different rates over the course of the season. Right now, though, Tedy Bruschi is answering your question in the affirmative:

Gil Cabral (Sacamento, CA)

Can the Patriots win against the Denver Broncos?
Tedy
(11:12 AM)

No, not at this point. But the game isn't until Nov. 24. This Patriots team has to vastly improve before that matchup.

Chat: Chat with Tedy Bruschi - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

Lets not forget that they also had 6 games against teams in the AFC East that finished with 12 wins combined.

very true but they were divisional games which can always be tough, just look at Miami betting us late in 2004, in fact two of our four losses in 03 and 04 were divisional games (Buf and Mia) . . .

in the in realm of going undefeated, all it takes is just one team to beat you and that breaks the undefeated season . . . and in looking at the season as trying to prevent that one loss, the remaining 10 games were against 8 teams at or north of 0.500, 6 playoff teams and a combined record of 96-64 . . . so to that extent it was a tough road . . .

I might be wrong, and I don't have time to check it this morning, but IIRC the 2007 Patriots faced undefeated (at the time of the game) teams for the first 6 consecutive weeks in 2007.

That's incredible.

2007 was a season that will never be matched. And, unfortunately, SB 42 is football history's most crushing loss. Had the Pats won that game, there would never ever be an argument until the end of time about football's greatest team.

yes on so many levels it was my worst defeat as a fan for me . . .I wanted it so bad for some many reasons . . would of given that group of guys 4 wins in 6 years matching the 70 Steelers, and with 4 rings and an undefeated season would of vaulted that group of guys as the best team since the Merger over both a course of years and for a single season, it would of been a big effin win to the league, given Brady a 4th ring and all but shut the door on the brady manning debate as early as 2007 . . .

just a very tough loss . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back