PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zolak: Brady will get a two-year extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
ufgFH.gif

That said, the monkey is riding the hell outta that thing. LMAO
Yeah, because they have his poor legs strapped on there like glue. :D

I wonder if this deal is an "addition" to his current contract, like Gronk's deal, rather than an extention of years past 2019. Brady currently going to make around $14MM this year. Perhaps this "extention" is design to give him more money THIS year (say with a 7-$10MM signing bonus.

But that would affect his ($22MM cap number for the last tw0 years of his deal. so mayber a real extention would help mitigate the cap consequences of a big signing bonus this year.

But whatever happens, Tom is at an age where he is going to be fighting for his job for the rest of his career. JG will be that competition next season, perhaps more. To my mind this is great. One of Brady's best attributes is how he responds to competition, especially when its real. He knows that BB will play the QB who is the best for his team, and at 40 Brady, despite a GOAT career, is still preparing as if he knows that he got to EARN his job.....because, the reality is, he does.

Brady is due 1M in cash this year - the minimum for a player with his experience. His 2017 1m salary is fully guaranteed.

Brady's 2018 salary is 14M. Can earn $62,500 for each game that he is on the 46-man active roster (1M total for the year).

Brady's 2019 salary is 14M. Can earn $62,500 for each game that he is on the 46-man active roster (1M total for the year).

I wonder if this deal is an "addition" to his current contract, like Gronk's deal, rather than an extention of years past 2019. Brady currently going to make around $14MM this year. Perhaps this "extention" is design to give him more money THIS year (say with a 7-$10MM signing bonus.

But that would affect his ($22MM cap number for the last tw0 years of his deal. so mayber a real extention would help mitigate the cap consequences of a big signing bonus this year.

But whatever happens, Tom is at an age where he is going to be fighting for his job for the rest of his career. JG will be that competition next season, perhaps more. To my mind this is great. One of Brady's best attributes is how he responds to competition, especially when its real. He knows that BB will play the QB who is the best for his team, and at 40 Brady, despite a GOAT career, is still preparing as if he knows that he got to EARN his job.....because, the reality is, he does.
Why would they say extension if it isn't an extension?

Why would they say extension if it isn't an extension?
You imply it was the Pats who called it an extention, instead of Zolak. I'm not sure he even knows the difference. I bet you can find tape where he initially called Gronk's new deal an "extention".

The point is that Zolak thinks the Pats are going to give Brady more money. What structure it comes by means little about his future UNLESS he continues to play at a high level and is the best QB the Pats can put on the field.

We have no reason to believe that Brady isn't the best QB on the Pats for THIS year. But when you are 41 (as he will be for the 2018 season) He'll have to prove he is again, and every year after that.

Personally I'm comfortable believing that he will be that good for the next 2 years. I'm also comfortable now in believing that the Pats believe that JG IS Brady's successor and will what they have to in order to keep him next season if he doesn't beat out Brady this season. And if Brady beats him out in 2018, it will be his last season with the Pats. JMHO

I'll also pose this question to the group since I don't think its worth its own thread, but what is the possible market for a 41 or 42 year old QB even if he was the GOAT in NE? In other words, what team will be willing to take on a good ot great QB with all his experience and leadership abilities at that age.

You would think if you are a superbowl contender you likely already have a good QB, so do you bench that guy AND pay what people are talking about in picks, for a 41 or 42 year old guy. OR if you are a bad team with a bad QB and suck, would Brady go there and playing with a bad team his last season.

Remember Brady, like Manning, would likely want to take HIS offense to wherever he goes next. So the team that would want him would have to understand that. And then there is the question of how much would a team be willing to give the Pats for a 41 or 42 year old QB, even if he is still playing well. As odd as it might sound, I don't think it would be a #1 pick, especially if it was a top 10 pick.

As I think on it, the ideal place for Brady would be Jacksonville, especially if Josh went with him. On paper they have just as much talent as the Pats, but no QB or leadership. Maybe after a couple of years with Brady, Bortles might just solve his consistency issues. Just a thought.

Anyways, that's what I think. I'm wondering what all the other amateur GM's out there are thinking. What would YOU pay for a trade of Brady, assuming he's still playing well?

You imply it was the Pats who called it an extention, instead of Zolak. I'm not sure he even knows the difference. I bet you can find tape where he initially called Gronk's new deal an "
Come on. Your argument is you think it's wrong because you think maybe he might have been wrong about something different once? Why not just say you are making a wild guess?

The point is that Zolak thinks the Pats are going to give Brady more money.
No. Zola thinks they are extending him. You made up a different claim.

What structure it comes by means little about his future UNLESS he continues to play at a high level and is the best QB the Pats can put on the field.
Huh?

We have no reason to believe that Brady isn't the best QB on the Pats for THIS year. But when you are 41 (as he will be for the 2018 season) He'll have to prove he is again, and every year after that.
This belief has nothing to do with him getting an extension.

Personally I'm comfortable believing that he will be that good for the next 2 years. I'm also comfortable now in believing that the Pats believe that JG IS Brady's successor and will what they have to in order to keep him next season if he doesn't beat out Brady this season.
Wait. you think garoppolo is going to maybe beat out the best player in the NFL this year.

Then you think when that doesn't happen they are going to pay him 24 mill to sit and watch for the 5th year.

Wow.

And if Brady beats him out in 2018, it will be his last season with the Pats. JMHO
Ok sure.

I'll also pose this question to the group since I don't think its worth its own thread, but what is the possible market for a 41 or 42 year old QB even if he was the GOAT in NE? In other words, what team will be willing to take on a good ot great QB with all his experience and leadership abilities at that age.

Clearly nothing since you think he sucks so bad he could be beaten out by an unproven kid after the greatest SB ever by a QB.

You would think if you are a superbowl contender you likely already have a good QB, so do you bench that guy AND pay what people are talking about in picks, for a 41 or 42 year old guy. OR if you are a bad team with a bad QB and suck, would Brady go there and playing with a bad team his last season.
Apparently if you are a SB winner with an unproven backup you think you don't want him either.

Remember Brady, like Manning, would likely want to take HIS offense to wherever he goes next. So the team that would want him would have to understand that. And then there is the question of how much would a team be willing to give the Pats for a 41 or 42 year old QB, even if he is still playing well. As odd as it might sound, I don't think it would be a #1 pick, especially if it was a top 10 pick.
I am now in the twilight zone.

As I think on it, the ideal place for Brady would be Jacksonville, especially if Josh went with him. On paper they have just as much talent as the Pats,
Ken you need to check your meds.

You are telling me the difference between the team that has won 45 games and 2 SBs and 7 of 8 in the playoffs and the team that has gone
11-37 is the QB, and then you tell me that QB might be beaten out by his unproven backup THIS YEAR, probably will next year, but then although he is playing as well as ever will be gone after that.
This is absolutely nonsensical.

but no QB or leadership. Maybe after a couple of years with Brady, Bortles might just solve his consistency issues. Just a thought.

Anyways, that's what I think. I'm wondering what all the other amateur GM's out there are thinking. What would YOU pay for a trade of Brady, assuming he's still playing well?
Brady will never be traded.

I think this will be the year that we will see if Brady is supernatural. He looked pretty damn good last season, but he did get a 4 week vacation from that dope in NY. After winning #5 and another year on the books, this year will be telling. My gut is he's not going to slow down (much), but we all know that time brings every career to a halt. These young players are getting so strong and so fast and recovery is a ***** when you get older. But... Brady is that good, so this an interesting time as a Pats fan.

As I think on it, the ideal place for Brady would be Jacksonville, especially if Josh went with him. On paper they have just as much talent as the Pats, but no QB or leadership. Maybe after a couple of years with Brady, Bortles might just solve his consistency issues. Just a thought.

You are pretty close to realizing what I did about 1-2 years ago:

There is no ideal place for Brady except NE. Given his age he doesn't have a year or two for another team to rebuilt the offense into one that will emphasize his strengths as much as the Pats do.

If anyone seriously thinks taking Josh, copying the Pats offense and adding couple of slot guys and it is done then you are as naive as most of those "Brady is a system quarterback" guys. People hold their breath and hope he can get on the same page with Cooks. Now think about an entire set of WRs, TEs, RBs and linemen. Similary, good luck on establishing the same kind of "laser focus" culture anywhere else in just one offseason that grew organically over the last decade in NE.

Again, from everything we know from people that worked around him it doesn't make sense for Brady to play anywhere but NE because no place can offer him exactly what he needs to be successful right now. It is not playing football games but winning football games what drives him.

He won't ever get traded because it makes no sense for him to play anywhere else for practical reasons.

Last edited:
You are pretty close to realizing what I did about 1-2 years ago:

There is no ideal place for Brady except NE. Given his age he doesn't have a year or two for another team to rebuilt the offense into one that will emphasize his strengths as much as the Pats do.

If anyone seriously thinks taking Josh, copying the Pats offense and adding couple of slot guys and it is done then you are as naive as most of those "Brady is a system quarterback" guys. People hold their breath and hope he can get on the same page with Cooks. Now think about an entire set of WRs, TEs, RBs and linemen. Similary, good luck on establishing the same kind of "laser focus" culture anywhere else in just one offseason that grew organically over the last decade in NE.

Again, from everything we know from people that worked around him it doesn't make sense for Brady to play anywhere but NE because no place can offer him exactly what he needs to be successful right now. He won't ever get traded because it makes no sense for him to play anywhere else for practical reasons.
You make some very valid points. However, I'd take exception to your last sentence. It won't have to make sense to Brady. If it makes sense to BB, I think it'll likely happen

You make some very valid points. However, I'd take exception to your last sentence. It won't have to make sense to Brady. If it makes sense to BB, I think it'll likely happen

I don't see how.

Brady has the leverage of just calling it quits which he is substantially more likely to do than actually play in mediocrity. No one will trade anything of significance before he has a guarantee from Brady that he will actually play for a while.

Last edited:
I think this will be the year that we will see if Brady is supernatural. He looked pretty damn good last season, but he did get a 4 week vacation from that dope in NY. After winning #5 and another year on the books, this year will be telling. My gut is he's not going to slow down (much), but we all know that time brings every career to a halt. These young players are getting so strong and so fast and recovery is a ***** when you get older. But... Brady is that good, so this an interesting time as a Pats fan.

If he tries this BS again his career could end real fast. He better have sent Sheldon something nice for not killing him (quite possibly literally) that play he decided to become a lead blocker.

2:01 mark

Even I was cringing as that play was developing. I'm all for Brady finally being out of the league, but I don't wanna see the guy dead.

Unfortunately, Zo doesn't tell us anything - he's just guessing.
“You can pretty much guarantee a two-year deal for Brady, coming down the pike here,” said Scott Zolak."

Unfortunately, Zo doesn't tell us anything - he's just guessing.
Well I certainly hope he's right. It would mean that the team has clear cut knowledge that Brady has no plans to retire after 2017.

If he tries this BS again his career could end real fast. He better have sent Sheldon something nice for not killing him (quite possibly literally) that play he decided to become a lead blocker.

Even I was cringing as that play was developing. I'm all for Brady finally being out of the league, but I don't wanna see the guy dead.

Tom is under the personal protection of Gisele. Her Brazilian death squad is on 24x7 stand-by and everyone knows it.

He had her remove a car bomb from Goody's Prius a couple of years ago.

They should have TB12 lead block on power sweeps more often. Great gain on the play.

I don't see how.

Brady has the leverage of just calling it quits which he is substantially more likely to do than actually play in mediocrity. No one will trade anything of significance before he has a guarantee from Brady that he will actually play for a while.
I think he'll want to play forever.

As much as I detest the Jets, I gained a small speck of respect for them on that play.

It was a stupid play call by McDaniels... any play call that has your 39 year old star QB running out as a lead blocker is a dumb play call, but especially against a bitter rival that could have easily flattened and seriously injured him on that play

It shows that they do have some level of respect for Brady

You imply it was the Pats who called it an extention, instead of Zolak. I'm not sure he even knows the difference. I bet you can find tape where he initially called Gronk's new deal an "extention".

The point is that Zolak thinks the Pats are going to give Brady more money. What structure it comes by means little about his future UNLESS he continues to play at a high level and is the best QB the Pats can put on the field.

Personally I'm comfortable believing that he will be that good for the next 2 years. I'm also comfortable now in believing that the Pats believe that JG IS Brady's successor and will what they have to in order to keep him next season if he doesn't beat out Brady this season. And if Brady beats him out in 2018, it will be his last season with the Pats. JMHO

You must be banking on Belichick being in a coma, nothing else would explain getting rid of the best player in football for an unproven backup who only lasted six quarters when he was asked to play just four games.

Ken, your Ron Burgundy boner for Jimmy Garrapolo is showing.

I don't give much credence to Zolak's comments; there is nothing to indicate that he has a source. It sounds to me like speculation. People on talk radio "pretty much guarantee" things all the time that are only their thoughts.

I did want to address the thought that Brady would need to take his system elsewhere like Peyton Manning did. All I can say is, "no, no, no, no, no".

Peyton Manning was a control freak which included how the offense was run. Tom Brady is a very coachable QB who is a great leader but is the opposite from PM in terms of accepting leadership from others. It is very clear that Bill Belichick runs this team just like it was very clear that Peyton Manning ran the offense wherever he went. I fully believe that Tom Brady can adapt to a different style of offense because that's what he is - adaptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes