PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zappe waived (Edit: so was Malik!)

Objectively, it makes sense for him to go to a team with only 1 QB on the roster. Coming back to NE is probably his best shot at being on the 53 man.
Plus if he went anywhere else he’d need to cancel his lease, find a new apartment, pack his suitcase. All that to learn a new playbook while riding the pine on the practice squad? It was a no brainer.

I can't remember who reported it, but they said that the Bears claimed all they had to do is sit back and bat balls and never were concerned about pass rushing him.
That’s right the report was something like just get in his passing lane and put your hands up. I can’t find that quote anywhere though I wonder who said it.

Wow. I said yesterday another team would pick him up as PS/3rd QB. Shows what I know....which is nothing

They can't pick him up off waivers and put him onto the PS, they have to put him onto the 53.

Once he cleared waivers he was a FA, he could sign for any team, PS or 53.

What it means was no team wanted him bad enough to make room for him on the 53, and apparently his agent is telling the media that up to seven teams wanted him for their PS.

And, right this very instant, any other team can still have him by taking him off our PS, if they make room for him on their 53.

He's only "safe" here till he's on the 53. Maybe he has a verbal agreement that the Pats will do just that, maybe not.

Ref: How does the waiver wire work, and what does it mean for the Patriots?

So much handwringing for nothing.
At least lots of people got to vent their spleens about how our front office sucks, just to see those same players they thought were gone forever and thus draft busts end up on our PS.

Plus if he went anywhere else he’d need to cancel his lease, find a new apartment, pack his suitcase. All that to learn a new playbook while riding the pine on the practice squad? It was a no brainer.
It was a no-brainer because none of the other offers were to be on the 53 man roster and thus get game checks instead of PS money. If any one of them offered him a spot on the 53, he'd be gone. Clearly none did. Given the only offers open to him were to be on the PS, he and his agent decided the best PS for him to be on was ours. IMO they probably feel that he has a quicker path to a game check here than anywhere else.

So for the guys who get brought back to the ps…do they get ps pay or the pay from their original contract signed? Do they need to sign a new contract if they play game day? Interested in knowing how they get their $. Can’t ever seem to find any info on it.

So for the guys who get brought back to the ps…do they get ps pay or the pay from their original contract signed? Do they need to sign a new contract if they play game day? Interested in knowing how they get their $. Can’t ever seem to find any info on it.
As I understand it, being waived is the team giving up rights to the existing contract to any other team that wants to take it on. If no other team wants to take it on the contract terminates although some obligations survive (e.g. guaranteed salary). So PS is a brand new contract, with its own contract provisions. I assume those provisions include details about being called up for games.

When a backup QB gets 16 pages now on a thread.

The line has got all of it's parts back and added a few intriguing but raw reinforcements. I'd wager that they're more likely to be a decent line than a poor one and that they will get stronger as the year goes on.

RB - The Patriots have an excellent pair of backs and I suspect that they'll be able to add decent backups later today.

QB - They obviously will have another QB on the roster later today, perhaps Zappe and/or Malik. I'm indifferent on Zappe, I thought he could be a serviceable backup, but his struggles in preseason were real. I'll reserve the right to panic after I see who they sign today, and hopefully whomever it is won't play a snap this year.

if the line is fine why do we have 11 offensive linemen? and nothing in the pre-season showed they would be decent.

it looks like once again Bill focused on getting the defense right and ignored the offense. and we are playing catchup with 1 week to go

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back