You're the GM: Complete the Patriot Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotDynasty99

On the Roster
Reaction score
I'll go first.

Trades:

1) Trade JG to Cleveland for #12, #52, and a 2nd in next year's draft.

Draft Picks:

Round 1- (#12) Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee (Most productive pass rusher in the draft)
Round 2- (#52) Curtis Samuel, WR, Ohio State (Edeleman's eventual replacement, 4.31 speed)
Round 3- (#72) Sidney Jones, CB, Washington (1st round talent ready to take Butler's spot)
Round 3- (#96) Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech (freak athlete and Gronk insurance)
Round 4- (#131) Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma (a productive, physical RB)
Round 5- (#163) Joe Mathis, OLB, Washington (health is only issue; supremely talented)
Round 5- (#183) Zach Banner, OT, USC
Round 6- (#200) Delangelo Brown, DT, Louisville
Round 7- (#239) Kyle Fuller, OC, Baylor

Signings:

Ryan Fitzpatrick - QB

And there it is -- a loaded team ready to win Super Bowls for years to come.

On offense, additions include Cooks, Samuel, Hodges, and Perine at skill positions. Could Brady live with that?

On defense, you've added pass rushing, and an ultra talented CB to replace Butler.

Prediction: Pats win 3 in a row (making it 4 in a row).

Nice post, That 's a lot of research to do by picking all 7 rounds.

I agree on DE being a position of need but I would probably trade down from #12 for a later first rounder and get another draft pick.

In rounds 2-4 I would target the defensive secondary as it supposedly the deepest talent pool in many years.

I agreed OL could use another tackle or 2, be nice to get another Matt Light in round 2 or 3.

I might try to trade some later picks for an established player or future draft picks as there aren't many spots up for grabs .

IMO the back-up quarterback market is loaded so I would risk having Jacoby as the sole back-up QB.

If Scar could turn Stephen Neal into a pro lineman I would like to see Josh turn some tall basketball players into receivers and tight ends.

I would consider expanding the Butler or Jimmy trades and throw in an aging veteran like Vuk with a championship pedigree or a contract you might want to escape from.

- Trade out Butler for Sherman (whether 1 trade or 2)
- Sign Blount
3 - DE Terell Basham
3 - DT Larry Ogunjobi
4 - TE George Kittle
5 - CB Shquill Griffin
5 - OT
6 - LB Harvey Langl
7 - LB Samson Ebukam

I want no part of Fitzy. He and Sam Bradford somehow get massive amounts of money for losing beautifully. You don't get style points for winning but you definitely see them in their paychecks. Tebow is technically a winner but the lack of style points ruined his career lol.

Things we still need.
Depth at IOL
OT draft pick who can take solders place next year or a solder extension.
RB
DE to at least split time with nink this year and take over next.
DT depth
Corner, if butler goes
Return man.

Things we still need.
Depth at IOL
RB
DE to at least split time with nink this year and take over next.
DT depth
Corner, if butler goes
Return man.

Isn't Guy expected to be in the rotation at DE?

Probably on running downs but we need to add a better pass rusher.
I think Guys limited to de in run situations and part of the DT rotation on passing downs.

Probably on running downs but we need to add a better pass rusher.
I think Guys limited to de in run situations and part of the DT rotation on passing downs.

I believe that our greatest draft need is on the DL. After that, I expect to add an OL or two.

BTW, what do you expect Ealy's role to be?

*Cracks knuckles, neck, back.*

Step one. Trade Jimmy G to the browns for 2 twos this year, a one next year and a 2 next year.

Step two. Trade every single pick in this years draft for TWO picks at the same round or higher next year.

Step three. extend butler after he switches agents to 4 additional years that nearly matches gilmores current deal with a signing bonus that we can then spread out over 5 years

Step four. convince the jets to give up matt forte for a really good cupcake recipe.

Step five. count the rings 1-2-3-4-5

Step six. sign a bunch of undrafted dudes, and watch as they become probowlers for the patriots.

Step seven. plot the downfall of goodell.

I believe that our greatest draft need is on the DL. After that, I expect to add an OL or two.

BTW, what do you expect Ealy's role to be?
Sheard-like

Keep both JG and Butler.
Extend Solder.

To fill out the 90-man UTA/Camp roster ... (first things first)

DRAFT (with #72, #96, #131, #163, #183), in no particular order ...

DEFENSIVE END - 2017 rotational, 2018 "starter"
... in the Flowers mold (Nink and Ealy could be gone at the end of the season)
LINEBACKER - 2017 rotational, 2018 starter
... possibly a smallish college DE who's handled two-point stance duties well
... able to handle assignments inside/outside and rush a bit (Van Noy could be gone at the end of the season)
STRONG SAFETY - 2017 rotational, 2018 potential Chung replacement
... LB-level run-stopper with very good coverage skills
TIGHT END - 2017 developmental/situational contributor, 2018 heavy rotational use
... "Move" type who can handle inline blocking
-or-
... "Big Man" potential Gronk/Bennett replacement
RUNNING BACK - to work up to sharing "lead" carries with Burkhead in 2017, take over in 2018 if necessary
... doesn't need to be Blount-size, just capable between the tackles and not fumble-prone (and can catch a bit)
... alternatively, re-sign Blount and pick up developmental types in the 6th or 7th or as UDFA

With the #200 & #239 (plus UDFA signings), stock up on WR (slot types), hyper-athletic DBs, more developmental prospects at every position.

Let God (BB) sort 'em out at the end of Camp to make a 53-man that's better, top-to-bottom, than the 2016 roster.

I was thinking DE for 30-front "looks" who adds to the interior rush-pressure in 40-fronts without being a liability against the run.

This, to me, is the priority on the roster build at this point, and they should do both. Losing one of the starting OT to injury initiates a set of falling dominoes unlike any other position, other than QB. The pass protection starts to break down, limiting the time Brady has, which gives the opposing defense the opportunity to tighten the field, and suddenly the Pats aren't scoring nearly as much and the Pats' D is on the field much more than before. It gives me the willies more than any other position.

These kinds of threads are stupid, speculative, and sophomoric, yet are also like candy. You know they are bad for you, yet you gobble them up like you will never get another shot at it. ;)

I agree with the OP that we trade JG just before the draft for the #12. #52, and the conditional pick in 2018 that will likely be a 2nd but could wind up as a first.

We trade Butler for #32 and a swap of our pick for the Saints in in the 3rd.

We trade the 32 for Richard Sherman straight up. I'm not sure exactly how his cap situation would be here. I see $11MM/yr but I'm suspecting it might be a bit less, and something we can afford in the short run. I see the transaction as being it grabbing his last 2 prime years before setting him adrift again. By then Wilson, Jones, Jones, Gilmore and Rowe will continue on and anchoring a stong CB group

Like with the OP we use the #12 to pick one of Barnett if he's there, but, Hassan Riddick, or Taco would be fine if he's gone by then I'd be thrilled with any of these players at or around #12. Hopefully we'll wind up with a good situational guy for this year that will hopefully evolve into a foundational player in the future.

With 52 we grab the big CB Wilson. I'd don't see him lasting past here. Put him on PUP and move on from there. He is being brought in for depth and to replace Sherman in a couple of years. If not him another of the better big CB's, like the FU kid would be fine

With the first 3rd rounder grab the big Pittsburgh RB, Connors With the 2nd one reach a bit for the huge TE from Ashland. Another long project, but there is no immediate need this year,.

In keeping with the trend, with the 4th rounder grab the huge DE from Villanova. Reportedly a great motor and perfect size. A true shot in the dark and someone who will likely be 2-3 years in the making, but you can't teach size

At this point I'd trade out into next season, or draft whatever binkies you have left. I have none at this point ;)

FA - With JG gone I agree with the OP that Fitzpatrick should be brought in to compete with JB for the back up job. Remember he are not looking for someone to take over, but rather someone who can do well enough to keep the train running. Who knows Brissett could beat him out and make the issue moot. But Fitzpatrick has been a decent starting QB in the league, and sometimes better than decent. As a back up you aren't looking for a top 10 QB, but rather one who is a top 25, and aspires to be better.

With Connor on board, I'll be sad to see LGB be cast aside or left to the shadow roster in case of injuries. I would even be OK to signing him and letting him have the job IF he can beat out his bretheren, like he did last season.

Last edited:
I would take CLE's two 2nd round picks this year (deep draft in positions on need) + their first for 2018 (way better QB draft class than 2017 where you can possibly find your eventual GOAT's successor).

I would take pick #32 back for Malcolm Butler.

I would pass on Sherman and invest the cap saved in some key extensions (Solder, at least one of our 3 RB in their last year of contract, Ealy if he's good enough).

My mock ( "1 st choice" / "2nd choice" depends on players available and positions selected in previous rounds)

32 DE Taco Charlton / LB Zack Cunningham
33 CB Quincy Wilson / Kevin King
52 DE TJ Watt / S Obi Melinfonwu
72 OL Ethan Pocic / DE J. Willis / T. Kpassagnon
96 TE Bucky Hodges / Jake Butt / Kittle
130 S Josh Jones / DE Trey Hendrickson
163 OT Conor McDermott / J. Davenport
183 RB Brian Hill / James Conner
200 CB Shaquille Griffin
239 S Delano Hill

UDFA Camp bodies/Projects/PS candidates at slot WR, 3rd down RB, slot CB, QB, K, etc.

Last edited:
Before the draft:
-Trade Garoppolo and #118 to Cleveland for #33, #145 and 1st and 2nd round picks in 2018.
-Trade Malcolm Butler to New Orleans for #42 and a 2018 3rd.

Pick 33, Jarrad Davis - LB - Florida
High character, athletic 3 down linebacker with coverage potential to start alongside Hightower.

Pick 42, Josh Jones - S - NC State
Athletic, SS/LB hybrid to develop behind Chung.

Pick 72, Jourdan Lewis - CB - Michigan
Aggressive, versatile corner with slot and ST potential.

Pick 96, Demarcus Walker - DE - Florida State
Durable, edge setting DE with size Patriots like.

Pick 145, trade to Philadelphia for LB Mychal Kendricks

Pick 163, Michael Roberts - TE - Toledo
Good blocker with big play tendencies, has history of overcoming adversity.

Pick 183
Joshua Dobbs - QB - Tennessee
Smart, athletic developmental QB with tools to be successful with coaching.

Pick 200
Elijah McGuire - RB - UL Lafayette
Bulky, durable receiving back.

Pick 239
Jerry Ngukwe - OT - William & Mary
Long bodied, athletic, raw swing tackle.

Post draft:
Re-sign Legarrette Blount
Sign Darelle Revis

Opening day roster.
QB(3): Brady, Brissett, Dobbs
RB(5): Blount, Lewis, White, Burkhead, Develin
TE(3): Gronkowski, Allen, Roberts
WR(5): Edelman, Cooks, Hogan, Mitchell, Amendola
OT (4): Solder, Cannon, Fleming, Ngukwe
OG/C(5\4): Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Jackson
DL(4): Brown, Branch, Guy, Valentine
EDGE(4): Flowers, Ninkovich, Ealy, Walker
LB(6): Hightower, Davis, Kendricks, McClellan, Van Noy, Roberts
CB(6): Gilmore, Rowe, Revis, C Jones, Lewis, J Jones
S(5): McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Jones, Ebner
ST(4): Gostowski, Allen, Cardona, Slater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back