Votes: 44 41.5%
  • 4-5

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • More than 5

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember, you can't spell "Elite" without "Eli"!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 more year. The Pats will win the SB next year and all the teams will realize, unless they actually kill Brady they have no chance. But they also know that if they actually killed Tom, it would turn Giselle into some sort of crazy Beatrix Kiddo, so they can't do that.

What they decide is that they each will offer up $1 billion and Goodell's job for Brady to retire. Knowing that is a pretty good deal, he takes it and retires - only to come back 1 year later to win again! Turns out the the NFL used Jeff Pash to write the contract and it did not mention anything about making a comeback!

I'm not sure which clinic you are viewing this from. :D
th

I think we need a proper working definition of "elite." Top 3? Top 5? Top 10?

Sadly, I don't have one.

I do think that Brady could have up to 4 years of "far better whan what you could likely replace him with."

I do think that from the perspective of the New England Patriots, the question of when to replace Brady has less to do with how good Brady is than some people might think.

I do think that Belichick already knows at exactly what point he's going to decide to sit down, have a chat with Brady, and say "Sorry Tom, thank you for all your years of greatness, it's time for the New England Patriots to go in another direction."

I do think that time is probably going to come before Brady wants it to, because Tom Brady is never going to willingly give up his job here. He's going to want to compete for his job as long as the team lets him, because that's just who he is.

I do think that there's a time that will come that Brady thinks he still has something in the tank and the New England Patriots disagree.

I do hold open the possibility that that disagreement will culminate with Brady possibly pulling a Manning playing one or two final seasons in another uniform, although I don't consider that the most likely scenario I do think it's very possible.

I would be willing to fight anyone who said that if this happened it would tarnish the legancy of any of Brady, Belichick, or the Patriots organization.

This is not an organization well known for holding onto players out of sentiment, and if Brady isn't a fit for where the Patriots are as an organization at a certain point, even if he could be an average or better quarterback at the time, they will cut ties. If another team then dangled a large contract in front of him to kickstart their attendance and give his experience to some other young squad? And it wasn't a rival of the Pats? Do you really think he'd turn down the opportunity to play a little more NFL football and prove some people wrong and try to cement his legacy as his own player and not a cog in Bill Belichick's machine? I don't.

I wouldn't blame him one little bit either, and I'm at the point now where even if he was playing for another franchise for those few final seasons, he's earned the right to have me root for him every step of the way as long as he wasn't playing against us.

I think we need a proper working definition of "elite." Top 3? Top 5? Top 10?

Sadly, I don't have one.

I do think that Brady could have up to 4 years of "far better whan what you could likely replace him with."

I do think that from the perspective of the New England Patriots, the question of when to replace Brady has less to do with how good Brady is than some people might think.

I do think that Belichick already knows at exactly what point he's going to decide to sit down, have a chat with Brady, and say "Sorry Tom, thank you for all your years of greatness, it's time for the New England Patriots to go in another direction."

I do think that time is probably going to come before Brady wants it to, because Tom Brady is never going to willingly give up his job here. He's going to want to compete for his job as long as the team lets him, because that's just who he is.

I do think that there's a time that will come that Brady thinks he still has something in the tank and the New England Patriots disagree.

I do hold open the possibility that that disagreement will culminate with Brady possibly pulling a Manning playing one or two final seasons in another uniform, although I don't consider that the most likely scenario I do think it's very possible.

I would be willing to fight anyone who said that if this happened it would tarnish the legancy of any of Brady, Belichick, or the Patriots organization.

This is not an organization well known for holding onto players out of sentiment, and if Brady isn't a fit for where the Patriots are as an organization at a certain point, even if he could be an average or better quarterback at the time, they will cut ties. If another team then dangled a large contract in front of him to kickstart their attendance and give his experience to some other young squad? And it wasn't a rival of the Pats? Do you really think he'd turn down the opportunity to play a little more NFL football and prove some people wrong and try to cement his legacy as his own player and not a cog in Bill Belichick's machine? I don't.

I wouldn't blame him one little bit either, and I'm at the point now where even if he was playing for another franchise for those few final seasons, he's earned the right to have me root for him every step of the way as long as he wasn't playing against us.

I just heard they are extending Brady a few more years. I think it was for 3. Point being is Brady will retire as a Patriot. He isn't going anywhere. I don't see it. Brady and BB will figure out the best way to handle his position if his play starts to deteriorate.

He's said he won't play when he "sucks." What Brady means by "sucks" might not be what anyone else means by sucks.

Is playing when you're able to lead your team to a 10--6 or 11--5 record and win the Division or snag a Wild Card, but you're no longer able to be competitive in the three or four games in January that win a Conference or SB Championship part of "sucking?"

For 26 or so QB's in the league today, it most definitely is not; they'd be asking for big new contracts if they could play at that level.

But, for Brady, I think it would probably be part of his definition of "sucking."

I signed up for two years. Why? Because he played the last quarter and a half plus OT at an unworldly level. I don't think he's in this to "make the Playoffs" or set personal records...not that he has that many left to set. He's in it to win Championships and go to Super Bowls.

How long can he keep that up? It's uncharted territory, so we're all just guessing. I'm saying two years, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Thing is if a guy like Brady can make the playoffs with a team, all bets are off when they get there. He knows that. If he can still win enough games to make the playoffs and compete, I have a hard time thinking that a guy as quietly competitive as TB12 is going to hang it up, even if the franchise can see the game catching up to him. And too many teams need a good veteran QB for me to think that teams wouldn't line up to have that man share his experience and knowledge with their young offensive players.

I do maintain a possibility that TB and the franchise will come to have a difference of opinion about whether he's "done" or not and TB12 may wind up playing a couple years in someone else's uniform. If he does I'll support him any time he's not playing against the Patriots.

He's said he won't play when he "sucks." What Brady means by "sucks" might not be what anyone else means by sucks.

Is playing when you're able to lead your team to a 10--6 or 11--5 record and win the Division or snag a Wild Card, but you're no longer able to be competitive in the three or four games in January that win a Conference or SB Championship part of "sucking?"

For 26 or so QB's in the league today, it most definitely is not; they'd be asking for big new contracts if they could play at that level.

But, for Brady, I think it would probably be part of his definition of "sucking."

I signed up for two years. Why? Because he played the last quarter and a half plus OT at an unworldly level. I don't think he's in this to "make the Playoffs" or set personal records...not that he has that many left to set. He's in it to win Championships and go to Super Bowls.

How long can he keep that up? It's uncharted territory, so we're all just guessing. I'm saying two years, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

He has changed his throwing mechanics, so it is tough to see how much of his bad throws are a product of new mechanics in a game environment and how much is speed off his fastball.

He is competitive, but he also seems willing to accept performance assessments and critiques, as well as being fiercely self-critical.

He followed Manning, who repeated Brady's comment about leaving when he sucks and then ignored it. I do not see Brady becoming that tired has been, leaving the party one year too late. I expect he will leave when his training regimen does not produce the throws he believes he needs to complete a requisite skill set package for the offense the Pats run. At that point, he will know his ring days are over and walk away.

I would love to see 4 years, but that is likely wishful thinking. As you wrote, it's uncharted territory. Here's hoping it's more rather than less.

[QUOTE="MassPats38, post: 4963296, member: 9609"
I would love to see 4 years, but that is likely wishful thinking. As you wrote, it's uncharted territory. Here's hoping it's more rather than less.[/QUOTE]

I bolded your post. I think that's the truth.

From everything we know about him, Brady is not going to play when he decides that he can no longer do what he knows he has to do to be able to win Championships. Yes, the entire team wins the championship. But, let's be honest, Brady took the team on his back in the Fourth Quarter (and part of the Third) in February, 2015 and 2017.

From everything we know about him, Brady goes into every season convinced in his heart and mind that he can win the Super Bowl for the Patriots. When he no longer believes that, I think he calls it a day.

I don't see him "competing" for the starting QB job, even if he knows he's better than any other option, when he knows he'd most likely be playing to make the Playoffs and maybe win a playoff game. That's for mortals. He is now among the immortals of sport.

If brady's late career is like is his fourth quarter superbowl performances... then buckle the f up, gonna be fun to watch.

You did not include Zero as an option. This past season was not elite, although certain periods within games overcame other periods of abysmal play. Brady has had periods of obvious deteriorating play, in many games. Steady play used to be his claim to fame No more.

They won in spite of them. Even this Super bowl showed declines despite being his ultimate triumph and best. Period four and overtime superb performance, overcame abysmal play in 1st, 2nd, and most of the 3rd quarter.

We can expect the decline to continue that was noticeable this year. (If you care to look and view it clinically).

I'm sorry, but is there a WTF button to rate posts? I can't decide if this guy is just trying to be sarcastic. Without Gronkowski, it was reasonable to expect the Patriots would struggle, and I think hoping for a passer rating around 90 was reasonable.

28 TDs, 2 INTs, plus 18 short run TDs from Blount to water down the stats. Almost all advanced analytics sites said he was as good, if not better than 2007 and was by far the best QB in football at deep passes. Did I mention Gronkowski was out, and when he was in the lineup Brady had a QB rating around 135?

Won't even get into the playoffs, where he eclipsed 30 points three times against three of the league's hottest defenses.

Brady can play six more years because the guy doesn't rely on a deep ball and is fine with short passes. His game is very mental and I think even if he regresses, he can continue to operate.

Brady has two more superbowls in him. One in the next two years and then one to ride into the sunset.

Tom Brady is officially in sudden death overtime of his NFL career.

No QB in NFL history has ever started a season at 40 and played elite.

Ever.

(Favre was 39 in week 1 of '09; Moon had a decent year at 40, but not elite).

That said, I voted 3 more, and wouldn't be surprised if he made it to 45. You can't put anything past this guy.

Ever.

That said, I voted 3 more, and wouldn't be surprised if he made it to 45. You can't put anything past this guy.
Interesting enough, if Brady retires at 43 and walks away playing at a high level, doesnt that mean father time lost? Anything past 40 and retiring at a high level is a victory in my book.

If Goodell keeps giving Brady the first 4 weeks of the season off then probably another 10 years and another 5 rings.

But in all seriousness I can see Brady playing at a high level for another 2-3 years easily as long as he doesn't suffer any major season ending injuries.

Ever.

We are not that far removed from the days when players smoked, drank to excess, ate red meat and never exercised in the offseason.

Things are much different today, and consequently the game is being redefined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft